• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash Revival. Summit #1 [10/29 - Game Shack]

O'chunks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrOchunks
You should know how hyped I am already... and another Snake main, awesome. <3 More challenging MU for me... (can't wait to see if my training has paid off...) Welcome aboard new CO smasher... :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Good thinking placing tourney/smashfest information on the first page, -Ran. That makes attending easier.
Why is Castle Siege a starter? It's usually a CP.

-Ran

Smash Master
It was changed with the latest Unity Rule Set update to be a starter. It was added to allow PS1 to be placed back into the rotation of starters as a second heavy transition stage. As a stage, it's rather balanced and rarely used as a counter-pick. From my experience, most people strike it. It was one of the least used stages during MLG as well.

-Ran

Smash Master
Awesome. I just messaged 75+ individuals that posted in the Colorado thread at some point that had CO [or nothing] listed in their location. Overall, I've probably provided this link to two hundred people's in-boxes in the past two days.

/Doing work.

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
Oh. Right. I posted on here a long time ago.

I'm down for attempting to play Smash again. Probably get my *** kicked, but hey, all in good fun.

Brawl, Denver, CO, roughly Yosemite and Hampden.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol good thing SWF sends you emails when you get a PM.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
MegaRobMan looks like he'd be my bro.
because I love Mega Man? The only reason I have ponies on my avi is because they are mega man/zero/tronbon/protoman. or because I lurk CO smashboards so I can go to an OOS tournament sometime.

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm now reaching out to the various convention communities that exist for anime in CO.

/ Doing work.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Daaaaamn there was that many listed in colorado?
Yeaaaah. I've done pretty much what he's doing 3-4 times in the past two years (excluding this last year).

Anyway, tagging this to see if we ever get decent Melee players again. Would be fun, if only to **** around.

I'd revive the old thread, but *****s wrecked it with their 4chan lameness. Good luck on this, the CO smash scene has become exceptionally lazy. :(

EDIT: The single biggest problem with getting fresh blood into smash (in CO, at least) is that most people who still play it (without us) fancy themselves gods of some fashion, or do it solely for the lulz. So they lose, their egos are broke, and they write off the game as "gay/noskill/whatever makes them feel good", or they just laugh it off and go back to playing only with friends. Figuring out how to surmount dis shiz is a pretty big deal.

If you need a TO, hit me up on FB. I obviously can't house events, due to my circumstances, but I dun mind running some, and I've got a pretty extensive track record. :D

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Or people can't/aren't willing to travel around the state for the game.

(My issue)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Melee Ganon is fun.
Denver's not too far, fortunately it's relatively centralized in CO.

-Ran

Smash Master
Mission complete. I've manipulated Google with the knowledge of how Page ranking works, and now when you search for: "Colorado Smash Brawl" the revival thread is the first link. =)

-Ran

Smash Master
War Chest - Work in Progress.
For every event that I'm going to run, there will be an additional one dollar charge on top of the venue fee. This dollar will be added into a fund that will be controlled by me. The goal of this will be to facilitate the growth of our scene by:
  1. Increasing Pots to hype larger events.
  2. Offsetting the cost of going out of state.
  3. Aiding OOS players to come to our events via incentives. [Travel stipends/side pots]
I will be the sole person with access to this money. This puts the accountability completely on me, and I will have public logs that will be maintained on where the money is going and what the total value of the fund is. It isn't too hard for someone to do the math of fact check me either, since $1 dollar per entry is relatively easy to prove.

I'm still ironing out the procedure to dealing with handing out money to players, but I believe the most fair way will be for everyone that enters a tournament, you gain one point. When it comes time to go out of state, everyone then is allowed place their points into what will amount to a random drawing. For every point you use, you gain an extra entry into the drawing for money.

Ways to gain points:
  1. Enter a tournament.
  2. Run a tournament.
  3. Get power ranked in the top ten.
Rules
  1. If you take money out of the Fund and win OOS, you must add money back into the fund.
  2. If you win a pot sponsored with the Battle Chest money as an in-state player, you only receive half the value. The rest returns to the fund.
  3. If you are currently winning the majority of money in the state [1st/2nd], you will not qualify for travel stipends in most cases. This fund is meant to help players that cannot generate money through Smash to travel.
  4. If you are an OOS player that receives fund money to travel to the state, you must pay back into the fund [what you received] if you win excess of your travel cost.
  5. I [-Ran] will maintain a Public document with all transactions of the fund.
I believe that tournament attendance should generate at least twenty-five dollars a month, if I am the only one that is running events in the state. Over the course of a year, this would generate a total of $300 to be used by our scene to make it larger and more competitive.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking of a system that wouldn't rely on being random, but for now I wanted to get the idea out.

Top Bottom