• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash Revival. Summit #1 [10/29 - Game Shack]

-Ran

Smash Master
News
7/6/11 - "The Unexpected Savior." - Meno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrKxBa9OSR4
Not to go all Xyro on ya’ll, but I felt it was a fitting quote to grab attention. As most of you have come to know, I’m one of the main Tournament Organizers in Louisiana, and due to job related reasons, I’m moving to Denver at the start of August. I’m an avid player of both Brawl and Melee, to the point where I want to make sure that the games are being played by everyone in the state. In Louisiana, when I’m active in Brawl, I’m ranked fourth in the state, after Lee, Hyro, and Jnig. I’ve gone to numerous OOS events such as Hobos, Phases, and Final Smashes. I’ve run over twelve events in the state over the past few years, and I’ve consistently run the New Orleans Monthlies [Nom] for a year now. I’m known for constantly holding meet-ups around the city, and it’s rare to catch me without a full setup. My final event in Louisiana is promising to be a 70+ man event.

When I first posted in the Denver thread, I was shocked to find out that there weren’t any monthlies that were being done. It appeared that the scene was dismally disjointed. Since I won’t know anyone in Denver aside from my sister, this simply won’t do. I can’t imagine being devoid of a scene to play my favorite games, so I’ve gone to work. At the start of July, I contacted the Lan Center ‘Game On’ and created a tentative pact with one of the owners to hold monthlies for a modest venue fee [$2 dollars.] I’ll be running the events, handling the money, seeding the brackets, and so forth. We will have events for both Brawl and Melee. Yes, that’s right, I don’t even live in the state and I already have a venue. We’ll start small, and hopefully gain steam from there.

There are some things that I know will garner new players and strength the bonds of the old.

• Proper maintaining of an information hub.
  • Creation of a Facebook Group.
  • Monthly tournaments on consistent dates.
  • Free ‘Welcome Back’ event.
  • Novice tournaments.
  • Contact other states and finding out when their tournaments are.
  • PR Seasons or the Elo based system by UTD Zac.

I intend for this thread to be the place to obtain information for people in our state. At first, I was going to ask that the Social thread have this added to it, but to constantly ask a moderator to make all the small changes to it, in what is going to become a rather active thread just didn’t seem right. I will however, have the title of our Social Thread changed to reflect what events are coming down the pipe so that it will increase recognition for the events.

So all I can say is, stay tuned. This thread is going to be pretty barebones at the start, but it will evolve. I can't wait to meet all of you. =)
7/17/11 - "The Plan."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJqicM6x84
The plan is simple, we must contact everyone that has any noted connection to Colorado and inject them into our scene. I have just trolled through the entire database of Allisbrawl, and I’ve contacted –every- active member that was there that had Colorado as their location. I’m hoping that we’re going to see results from here that will aid in the creation of a strong novice pool of players.

With that said, the first tournament that we are going to have is going to have Meta Knight banned. This is an attempt to foster the growth of the community and to bring in players that have claimed that MK chased them out of the scene. After I do some job hunting, I plan on squaring away an event towards the end of the month in August.

Get hyped.
7/21/11 - "Ran's Magical. - The War Chest."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCBhPo_c3PA
War Chest - Work in Progress.
For every event that I'm going to run, there will be an additional one dollar charge on top of the venue fee. This dollar will be added into a fund that will be controlled by me. The goal of this will be to facilitate the growth of our scene by:
  1. Increasing Pots to hype larger events.
  2. Offsetting the cost of going out of state.
  3. Aiding OOS players to come to our events via incentives. [Travel stipends/side pots]
I will be the sole person with access to this money. This puts the accountability completely on me, and I will have public logs that will be maintained on where the money is going and what the total value of the fund is. It isn't too hard for someone to do the math of fact check me either, since $1 dollar per entry is relatively easy to prove.

I'm still ironing out the procedure to dealing with handing out money to players, but I believe the most fair way will be for everyone that enters a tournament, you gain one point. When it comes time to go out of state, everyone then is allowed place their points into what will amount to a random drawing. For every point you use, you gain an extra entry into the drawing for money.

Ways to gain points:
  1. Enter a tournament.
  2. Run a tournament.
  3. Get power ranked in the top ten.
Rules
  1. If you take money out of the Fund and win OOS, you must add money back into the fund.
  2. If you win a pot sponsored with the Battle Chest money as an in-state player, you only receive half the value. The rest returns to the fund.
  3. If you are currently winning the majority of money in the state [1st/2nd], you will not qualify for travel stipends in most cases. This fund is meant to help players that cannot generate money through Smash to travel.
  4. If you are an OOS player that receives fund money to travel to the state, you must pay back into the fund [what you received] if you win excess of your travel cost.
  5. I [-Ran] will maintain a Public document with all transactions of the fund.
I believe that tournament attendance should generate at least twenty-five dollars a month, if I am the only one that is running events in the state. Over the course of a year, this would generate a total of $300 to be used by our scene to make it larger and more competitive.

Thoughts?

Upcoming Events
Colorado

• Date / Location / Game / Link.
Out of State

Power Rankings | Results
Melee
Pr Season will start fresh in August.
Results for next PR
Paste here

Brawl
Pr Season will start fresh in August.

Results for next PR
Paste here
Rules
Melee
The Ruleset
MBR Recommended Rule Set
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (Singles and Teams)

This is the updated and simplified recommended rule set for Super Smash Bros. Melee. This rule set is strictly recommended in an effort to maintain an encompassing standard for our vast community. This rule set is not for copying into a tournament thread, as some small personal tweaks will still need to be addressed. These are dependent solely on the Tournament Host and any authorized assistance.

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
  • The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
  3. The first match is played.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
  5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
  7. The losing player picks character.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Brawl
Meta Knight is BANNED from all events.

The Unity Ruleset
-Version 1.3-

The following ruleset was created by the BBR Ruleset Committee, which is made up by active, respected Tournament Organizers from around the United States. This will be considered the standard, universal ruleset for Brawl tournaments across the US. Any tournaments that do not follow this ruleset will not be eligible for stickies on SWF or featured coverage on AllisBrawl.

Changes to this ruleset can be made at any time and without warning, for which we will update the version based on the significance of the change. The Ruleset Committee will pay close attention to tournament trends, and if a persistent problem presents itself, the Ruleset Committee will address the issue and adapt the ruleset as necessary. If you are interested in being admitted to the BBR-RC, send your tournament resume to AlphaZealot - you must however, have run 1 tournament with the Unity Ruleset in order to be eligible for admission.

General Gameplay Rules
  1. 3 Stocks
  2. 8 Minute Time Limit
  3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
  4. All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
  5. Meta Knight's Infinite Cape Glitch and Extended Cape Glitch are banned.
  6. There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 35 for Meta Knight and 50 for all other characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  7. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  8. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  9. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 13 is used for Meta Knight, and 18 for all other characters.

Modified Rules for Doubles
  1. Team Attack set to "On"
  2. Life stealing is allowed.
  3. In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
  4. In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
  5. If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.

Set Procedure
  1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 2-3-1 (Team 1 strikes two stages, followed by Team 2 striking three stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams agree to Rock-Paper-Scissors, otherwise it is determined with a coin-flip. The winning Team shall either elect to have first choice in port selection or first choice in Stage Strike. Whichever Team does not receive first choice in Port Selection will be compensated with first choice in Stage Striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).​

Stage List

Starters | Counterpicks
Battlefield|Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege|Brinstar
Final Destination|Delfino Plaza
Lylat Cruise|Pokémon Stadium 2
Pokemon Stadium 1|Rainbow Cruise
Smashville|Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)|

Conduct Rules
  1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  2. Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
  3. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
  4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
  5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
  6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
  7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
  8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
  9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
  10. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
    • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
    • The BBR-RC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
    • Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
  11. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

•The Tournament Organizer and his assistents, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Users can discuss this ruleset in the thread provided here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301033

Unity Ruleset Infraction System

Players found in contempt of rules within the Unity Ruleset are subject to the Infraction System. This is a system where players can receive either a Yellow Card or a Red Card in a certain category by the members of the BBR-RC based on evidence and discussion.

Cards

Yellow Cards are given for lesser offenses, or as warnings for larger ones. Players with a Yellow Card are under extra watch by tournament hosts for later offenses. If a player receives a Yellow Card in a category they already have an active one in, they will be given a Red Card for that category.

Red Cards are given for larger offenses, or by accumulating two active Yellow Cards in a single category. If a player has an active Red Card, they are unable to participate in any events hosted at a tournament using the Unity Ruleset.

Cards given to players will have a set expiration date determined on a case-by-case basis by the BBR-RC. Yellow Cards will typically carry longer active periods as a warning lasting approximately between one and twelve months. Red Cards typically carry lesser active periods lasting approximately between two and eight weeks, acting as a tournament ban. Expiration dates may be set differently depending on the severity of the infraction and repeated occurrence of them.

Cards are assigned a category when distributed based on the rule that was broken. Red Cards gained by accumulating two or more Yellow Cards only happens if the Yellow Cards are obtained in the same category. Categories also help represent the severity of a sentence, as some categories are more important than others. Categories will be decided on when the infraction is given by the BBR-RC. Some examples of categories (but not all of them) are listed below.

Categories

Bracket Manipulation: This category is for any offense that pertains to players modifying the outcome of a bracket based on factors such as (but not limited to) Prize Splitting, Intentional Forfeiting, Intentional Under-performance, and Outside Deals. This category may bring additional punishment immediately at the tournament by the Tournament Organizer such as being disqualified from the event or having your winnings forfeited to other placing players at the event.

Tournament Conduct: This category is for any offense that pertains to players acting out of line at tournaments. This includes factors such as (but not limited to) Fighting, Disruption, Theft, and Destruction of Property. This category may bring additional punishment immediately at the tournament by the Tournament Organizer such as being ejected from the venue.

Distribution and Operation of Cards

• Everyone may view the status of all distributed cards including their category, expiration date, and assigned player in the following post: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12763608&postcount=4
  • Cards will be assigned by the BBR-RC as a whole after discussion following the event in question. Cards may be assigned at any time.
  • Cards do not have to be tied to a specific action at a specific event.
  • Anyone is able to contact any member of the BBR-RC to suggest the distribution of a card, as well as provide evidence that may aid in the decision of the distribution.
  • The BBR-RC may assign cards to players based on events not using the Unity Ruleset.
  • All events using the Unity Ruleset must abide by the player blacklist formed by the Infraction System.
  • Any host not using the Unity Ruleset in its entirety is still welcome to use the player blacklist if they choose.
  • Any player who receives a card is more than welcome to contact any member of the BBR-RC with a counter argument for why they should have not received a certain card.

Important Links

-Ran

Smash Master
Also, for everyone that is replying, please leave the city that you live in as well as what games you play. I want to make an up to date player list.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ask Meno for a link to our smash map.

That's one thing we got done already.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer

I like how sunny is on that map but not me.

Underload

Lazy
I'll be at any and every event, barring any freak occurrences that pop up on the day of the tournament. I'll definitely make time for this.

Brawl player. Morrison, CO.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Yo, I ain't on this list ... and neither is EoD@Q.

FerrishTheFish (Melee only)
Bearing SU839045YX

Enzymes of Destruction at Qdoba (Melee only)
9994 Commons Street
Lone Tree, CO
Saturdays, 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM

EDIT: (720) 470-4529

I trust you guys. But you don't need to even have an account to view here. Sooooo, editing it out after someone I trust gets it but before some I don't trust gets it is RIGHT ON TIME BUB ㅎ>

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I updated the Smash map. Ferrish, you should post your number so interested people can contact you about the Qdoba events.

Don't be so paranoid. It's people who play Super Smash Bros on the internet. Possibly the least threatening kind of nerd. xD

lol@editing out your address

TOO LATE BUB

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
=O

I know where Dave lives now!!

Also, I'm excited to see a new PR go up in action. You gonna be using my system or that old stuff?

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
So far it looks like EoD@Q is on for this Saturday. Zim and I should be there. Devondorf may or may not be there. My grandparents probably won't be there, depends on how well they handle the altitude and the drive over from CA.

My number is (720) 470-4529. Please either post here or txt me to RSVP sometime during the week for each Saturday you think you can make and what you can bring. That will help me ensure that at least two players and at least one station are present at every meeting, so nobody gets stuck waiting for someone or something that isn't going to come.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Oooo, CO monthlies? That may be something I might have to attend. Just recently got back into smash after discovering more of my friends played it than I thought. I remember meeting some of the smash scene here and went to some friendlies at somebody's (?) house a while back... Glad to see CO is getting some attention :)

-Ran

Smash Master
So for the first event that I'm going to be planning for Colorado, I'm thinking something more along the lines of drumming up attendance by getting Novice/beginners/on the fence players to come. In order to do that, I'm thinking that the event is going to be only the venue fee. It'll be more of a smashfest for us, and a tournament for the Novices. After that point, I'd probably want to invest in having a Novice level event once every other month. I believe the easiest way to lure players in is by having an MK banned event due to the harsh, negative stigma associated with the character.

The key to reviving a scene is injecting new players that will want to stick around. Something I'd like to see is a Mentoring system developed, where we get new players access to someone that can make them better, then provide them with tournaments at their level of play until they graduate to the ranks of the 'big boys.' We need to focus less on the money aspect, and more of the growth of the scene.

Thoughts?

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm 100% ok with an MK banned event.

All of us would have to enter the novice event though. Novice event sounds like a good idea, but how do people decide if they belong in it? Just if they think they're not ready or what? Might end up with people that could hold their own in the real thing dominating the novice tourney.

And focusing on the money aspect is part of what killed our scene in the first place, because everything was overpriced.

-Ran

Smash Master
Well, it's pretty easy to spot a player that is beyond the competition. It's not hard to look at someone that is winning their matches against everyone and go, "Hey, this guy isn't among his peers." Sure, people can sandbag, but that's pretty easy to spot.

Event wise, I'm planning on $2-3 dollar venue, and $5 dollar singles.

Steam

Smash Hero
I'm liking this.

MK banned is a very good idea to get new players involved. they'll have to learn to play MK eventually though.

-Ran

Smash Master
Well, as I said, I already found a place to run the tournaments. I just need to meet up with them in person so they can see that I'm serious, and so I can make sure there will be enough space for us to setup.

The MK match ups is important, but getting the scene on the right track is more so. I'd rather have a scene with 50+ players that don't know the match up, than one with only ten players that know MK.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Complain to the ruleset committee so they can not do it.

Edit:
Actually let's avoid a ban discussion here.

Underload

Lazy
I dunno what it is : D
Ran doesn't like Metaknight's face.

1. I'm all for an amateur bracket and novice tournaments and all that stuff. I kinda wish I came into the scene with an amateur tourney, but instead I played Menoooooooooo.

2. I've started practicing Brawl again, after about 4 months of basically nothing, with the occasional Brawl- session with friends. I missed Brawl. But Fishbait still needs to come back to Colorado so I can get my wiimote back >;(

3. Hey Ran, you still play Snake, right? I'd love some help and criticism from an active main.

4. Also, what are your plans for PR?

-Ran

Smash Master
3. Hey Ran, you still play Snake, right? I'd love some help and criticism from an active main.
Sure, I'm trying to get some final practice with Lee, Hyro, and Jnig before I move. I'll also be making a stop in Dallas before getting to Denver. I'm trying to polish myself up.

4. Also, what are your plans for PR?
Probably going to go with the Elo standard that Texas uses. It's very great for giving new players something to strive for.

Steam

Smash Hero
WAIT I THOUGHT RAN WAS A MARTH MAIN.

ANOTHER SNAKE MAIN??? **** MY LIFE

/caps

also speaking of getting people into the scene there are like 7-10 people at mcspringsfest that play brawl- all the time but have no interest in vbrawl. how does I change this?

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Here at EoD@Q, we are just now adding Brawl to our lineup. Zim, Devondorf, and I can only bring two stations, but if lots of people show up, we could possible spread out to four stations. We don't have Brawl- or Marvel, though, so if you want to play you will have to bring your own station.

We supply a Melee station and one extra station that can be Brawl or Melee, depending. We bring extra controllers, but they are all pretty worn so we recommend you bring your own.

My number is (720) 470-4529. Please RSVP in advance if you plan to come, especially if you can't come until after 7:00 PM, which is when we pack up if nobody shows up.

EDIT: Update on the Smash map, please?

-Ran

Smash Master
I just messaged -every- single person that was active on AIB that listed their state as Colorado. I just did some work.

Top Bottom