• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clone Engine Misc. Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Who needs snark when you have swag

I just want to hear how the process differs between putting a PSA on an existing character and putting one on one of these blank slots.

From what I understand (which is basically zilch) the process is essentially 100% the same as PSA creation except there's a good amount of overhead to make the character slot actually exist.

My biggestwonder is how many available articles we aren't looking at. How many SSE enemies have completely unique projectiles or moves that we aren't even thinking about?

I believe (and again, I don't fully understand these shenanigans) a "max" number of articles isn't the problem so much as each character slot has a limit. For example, Mewtwo was made by adding a 2nd Lucario and editing him. Had they picked DK as the base he wouldn't work because DK doesn't have any articles and lacks a command grab (for confusions flippy thing). By that same line, if they wanted someone to crawl (or wall jump?) they'd need to use someone who could already do that as the base. To find the max number of articles they have access to I suppose you could count the articles on the character with the most and multiply that number by 7, but it hardly seems important when it's a character to character basis type thing.

I think.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
I have another question for the PM:BR staff.

Is it possible to import animations from other Wii games?
Animations need to be made within BrawlBox for specific compatibility with Brawl. You would not be able to extract animation data and have it work within the software.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
A question for the PMBR, wouldn't it be possible to replace Debug Mario thus freeing a eighth character spot?

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I believe (and again, I don't fully understand these shenanigans) a "max" number of articles isn't the problem so much as each character slot has a limit. For example, Mewtwo was made by adding a 2nd Lucario and editing him. Had they picked DK as the base he wouldn't work because DK doesn't have any articles and lacks a command grab (for confusions flippy thing). By that same line, if they wanted someone to crawl (or wall jump?) they'd need to use someone who could already do that as the base. To find the max number of articles they have access to I suppose you could count the articles on the character with the most and multiply that number by 7, but it hardly seems important when it's a character to character basis type thing.

I think.

Oh wow, so even things like "can crawl" and "can walljump" aren't flexible, and that needs to be inherited from a clone?

Dang, that makes it pretty tough to get exactly what you want from a character.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
I don't know about crawling, but I know that there is a code out there that give everyone the ability to wall jump - Brawl Minus uses it. I'd be very surprised if that ability couldn't be added on a per-character basis.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I seem to recall a suggestion to give Samus a morph ball crawl animation, and someone on PMBR claiming it impossible to add crawls. So yeah.

GuruKid

Smash Ace

I think.

This is correct for the most part but to elaborate on the article requirement - a much bigger concern is the flexibility offered by these articles due to their special properties. DK for example actually has 3 available articles: Bongos (Final Smash), Sound Wave (Final Smash), and Barrel (Entry Animation) but the limited actions within the article instances themselves as well as the lack of notable floats (unique attributes for each special move) would make them poor choices compared to the articles that characters like Snake, Samus, or Mario possess It's definitely a "Quality over Quantity" kind of deal since we are still fairly limited in how we can edit these articles.

There is actually some considerable leeway when it comes to general actions but the more complex actions like command grabs (because of the complexity with catch collisions), tethers (they all involve specific articles), crawls and glides (these are directed primarily through floats IIRC) also weigh heavily in our selection of a clone candidate.

And unfortunately using any sort of projectile or move from an SSE character is also out of the question. Very sad face... some of those enemies had some great-looking moves!

Fortress

Smash Master
This is correct for the most part but to elaborate on the article requirement - a much bigger concern is the flexibility offered by these articles due to their special properties. DK for example actually has 3 available articles: Bongos (Final Smash), Sound Wave (Final Smash), and Barrel (Entry Animation) but the limited actions within the article instances themselves as well as the lack of notable floats (unique attributes for each special move) would make them poor choices compared to the articles that characters like Snake, Samus, or Mario possess It's definitely a "Quality over Quantity" kind of deal since we are still fairly limited in how we can edit these articles.

There is actually some considerable leeway when it comes to general actions but the more complex actions like command grabs (because of the complexity with catch collisions), tethers (they all involve specific articles), crawls and glides (these are directed primarily through floats IIRC) also weigh heavily in our selection of a clone candidate.

And unfortunately using any sort of projectile or move from an SSE character is also out of the question. Very sad face... some of those enemies had some great-looking moves!
No more Project Primid.... This is a sad day for the world, indeed.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Oh wow, that's really interesting. So you could technically program something making use of DK's entrance barrel if you wanted to, but it'd be really hard to actually make that a meaningful move because it doesn't come with things like a damage value, a knockback value, physical properties for how it flies around, etc etc?

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Oh wow, that's really interesting. So you could technically program something making use of DK's entrance barrel if you wanted to, but it'd be really hard to actually make that a meaningful move because it doesn't come with things like a damage value, a knockback value, physical properties for how it flies around, etc etc?
Basically, yeah. I suppose it's worth noting that through hard ASM coding some articles maaaay be edited further (this is how we gave Toon Link's bombs multi-hit and Diddy's banana downthrow force tripping for examples) but that route is often difficult, tedious and time-consuming.

Despite these seemingly overbearing restrictions though you'd be surprised what is possible with the methods we use. Just gotta get creative.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
Basically, yeah. I suppose it's worth noting that through hard ASM coding some articles maaaay be edited further (this is how we gave Toon Link's bombs multi-hit and Diddy's banana downthrow force tripping for examples) but that route is often difficult, tedious and time-consuming.

Despite these seemingly overbearing restrictions though you'd be surprised what is possible with the methods we use. Just gotta get creative.

Highlighting the important bits

Fortress

Smash Master

I feel like you guys just have ten or twelve people in lab coats in some underground bunker playing P:M all day and rigorously coding between games. The lighting's probably really bright or something, and it's in the middle of an empty field in Nevada (isn't it). It's like you have some kind of smash scientists working around the clock on this or something.

MVP

Smash Ace

you guys made mewtwo after all. I remember a LOT of people were hating saying they he couldn't be made. no faith in the PMBR.....

Fortress

Smash Master
you guys made mewtwo after all. I remember a LOT of people were hating saying they he couldn't be made. no faith in the PMBR.....
All I'm hearing is "Primid confirmed for 3.0".

All aboard the hype train: destination, groovytown, population: Primid.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I would still love to see this happen however unlikely it is.

red9rd

Smash Ace
Can anyone say anything about the Giga Bowser and Super Wario characters and how they can be replaced?
We never got a true answer.
I doubt they would do that. From what I have read so far they want to make the mod fun for all players not only competitive.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I doubt they would do that. From what I have read so far they want to make the mod fun for all players not only competitive.
They could change the final smash into something different ._.
I'm sure casuals would enjoy another character more too rather than being able to use a super powerful one for like, 30 seconds.
Edit: Also why wouldn't they be able to use SSE moves? maybe I just didn't get it but can you re-explain?

Mithost

Smash Ace
They meant that it should be possible to replace Giga Bowser and Warioman with separate characters. However, this is not how things work. You cannot put a brand new character on this slot, as it is just a separate "Mode" for a character. Every kill you get with Giga Bowser's replacement will be accounted to bowser's score, and he will be the one to show up in the winners section.

Player -0

Smash Hero
They meant that it should be possible to replace Giga Bowser and Warioman with separate characters. However, this is not how things work. You cannot put a brand new character on this slot, as it is just a separate "Mode" for a character. Every kill you get with Giga Bowser's replacement will be accounted to bowser's score, and he will be the one to show up in the winners section.
So would it be able to copy Zelda so to speak or her transform and make it so any character could get another form?

red9rd

Smash Ace
he's an extremely generic pawn, punches, kicks, and an occasional weapon. He also has no back story whatsoever and there is nothing unique or special about him, he also never did anything ground breaking. There is also the fact that he has not impacted the Nintendo universe in anyway, he's just thought of a standard brawl enemy. He's just unimportant, there would be no point in adding him over a character who is actually deserving the spot in the roster.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Primid
This Link should solve all the problems your having.

Mithost

Smash Ace
So would it be able to copy Zelda so to speak or her transform and make it so any character could get another form?
No. All Zelda's Down B does is look for Sheik's data in the code and load it. I believe it might be possible to make zelda transform into another character on the roster, Cloning Zelda does not give you another free slot to work with.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Primid
This Link should solve all the problems your having.
that link has done nothing but confirm my previous statement, he is not special or unique in anyway, he's your common enemy. Its like adding a goomba as a character. and do you really think primid fits into the "Nintendo all-star" category?

and do you think that he is more deserving of a spot than someone like Isaac or Ridley? Im not saying add these characters but they are actually deserving of a spot in the game

red9rd

Smash Ace
that link has done nothing but confirm my previous statement, he is not special or unique in anyway, he's your common enemy. Its like adding a goomba as a character. and do you really think primid fits into the "Nintendo all-star" category?

and do you think that he is more deserving of a spot than someone like Isaac or Ridley? Im not saying add these characters but they are actually deserving of a spot in the game
Yes, Yes I do.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Yes, Yes I do.
So a worthless pawn in a ****ty adventure mode that appeared in one portion of the game is a Nintendo all-star, and the main character of one of the best rpg's to date, and the main villain of one of nintendos staple franchises aren't?

I don't understand

and please explain to me what primid has done to earn a spot

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Knuckle Joe could be a fun one, actually.

I don't think Kirby needs more characters though, and I'd prefer Bandana Dee anyway...

Mithost

Smash Ace
So a worthless pawn in a ****ty adventure mode that appeared in one portion of the game is a Nintendo all-star, and the main character of one of the best rpg's to date, and the main villain of one of nintendos staple franchises aren't?

I don't understand

and please explain to me what primid has done to earn a spot

We have another thread for this. Don't post character speculation and discussion here.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
One thing I'm curious about is how does Mewtwo's tail work? None of the other characters use a tail for their attack (aside from Charizard, I believe). Are you able to add new limbs and give them animations?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Let`s play a game: The first person to correctly guess how many lines of code the clone engine takes gets a cookie. Sense I don`t have the answer to this question, EVERYONE GETS A COOKIE!

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Let`s play a game: The first person to correctly guess how many lines of code the clone engine takes gets a cookie. Sense I don`t have the answer to this question, EVERYONE GETS A COOKIE!
I doubt it would be that simple to calculate; the engine makes use of previously unused data and edits preexisting usable code to function. On top of the new code that was added, it would be difficult to simply count how many lines were used, as the functions are interrelated and dependent on one another.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
One thing I'm curious about is how does Mewtwo's tail work? None of the other characters use a tail for their attack (aside from Charizard, I believe). Are you able to add new limbs and give them animations?
Doesn't Pikachu too? And Diddy does. Yoshi as well. Heh, there's more than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom