• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clone Engine Misc. Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Bah, Pokemon only take more spaces than needed because they broke apart Pokemon Trainer. >_>
If that weren't the case, there'd be as many Poke reps as Mario ones, if Pichu came back.

Fortress

Smash Master
I mean, yeah, Pichu has his fanbase, too, but some other franchises desperately need more representation. There's always talk that Lyn from FE is a strong fit, but as much as I love the series, her and Hector don't deserve to make it in, in my opinion. Just because they already have enough representation. As much as I love Hector, FE doesn't need another slot. Now, Metroid, there's a series that could use one more character (who is chosen is a completely different story (protip: Dark Samus)), or F-Zero.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
Bah, Pokemon only take more spaces than needed because they broke apart Pokemon Trainer. >_>
If that weren't the case, there'd be as many Poke reps as Mario ones, if Pichu came back.
even if Pokemon trainer wasn't broken apart I'd still consider it too many Pokemon in the game, as I said before Mario Zelda and Pokemon don't need anymore characters put into the game, what should happen is the pmbr should focus more on the franchises that have 1-3 characters in them or maybe add characters like Isaac or any other good suggestions I've read on this topic such as primid but I guess that's only my opinion so it's not like it matters to anyone besides myself

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
I think that was just a April fools joke and that's all
I know this, but there were times in the past where they've dropped subtle and obvious hints about Roy/Mewtwo and when people caught on they just covered their tracks with some slick response. All I'm saying is that you never know what the PMBR is up to.

Question:

If say, Giga Bowser and Warioman are removed... Does that add 2 more slots available to be used? :D
Just curious.
Also, I do believe they are their own characters since they each have their own folder under the pf/fighter directories with FitMotion files and texture ones as well.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If Bowser's Final Smash could be altered for it to be something other than Giga Bowser (asuming it will release a character slot), how would you guys feel if he was given something similar to Yoga Inferno from SFIV?. (A slow but gigantic fireball which almost guarantees a KO).

That, or throw a plethora of hammers a'la SMB1. :>

Can't think of one for Wario as I haven't played much Warioland. (1, 2, and less than halfway through 3).

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I feel like they're not going to add every character from SSBM, personally. I really feel like they're not going to put Pichu in. As far as I was aware, he was just considered a largely inferior Pikachu that hurt itself when it attacked.

He's actually better than Pikachu in nearly every regard except for weight and the self damaging mechanic. It's just that those two really bring down his usefulness. Honestly, after thinking about it I think I'll be genuinely angry at the PMBR if they don't implement Pichu. Under normal circumstances I'd look down on people saying what I am for being ungrateful or self righteous but it'd be a pretty big spit in the face to all the Pichu fans to "reveal" him in the Turbo Mode trailer only to instead add up to 7 other characters. If it was someone that had no chance to ever be in the game like Hulk Hogan or Bill Nye it'd be fine to not follow through, but Pichu is a Melee veteran so it's not unreasonable to expect the (admittedly joke) promise to be kept.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
He's actually better than Pikachu in nearly every regard except for weight and the self damaging mechanic. It's just that those two really bring down his usefulness. Honestly, after thinking about it I think I'll be genuinely angry at the PMBR if they don't implement Pichu. Under normal circumstances I'd look down on people saying what I am for being ungrateful or self righteous but it'd be a pretty big spit in the face to all the Pichu fans to "reveal" him in the Turbo Mode trailer only to instead add up to 7 other characters. If it was someone that had no chance to ever be in the game like Hulk Hogan or Bill Nye it'd be fine to not follow through, but Pichu is a Melee veteran so it's not unreasonable to expect the (admittedly joke) promise to be kept.

Oh naw, I wouldn't be mad at all. Even though I love Pichu, I thought that April Fool's thing was hilarious, and I'd totally understand why they wouldn't bring him back (people in this thread have stated a bunch of good reasons.)

I'm still crossing my fingers for him, though. =)

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Oh naw, I wouldn't be mad at all. Even though I love Pichu, I thought that April Fool's thing was hilarious, and I'd totally understand why they wouldn't bring him back (people in this thread have stated a bunch of good reasons.)

I'm still crossing my fingers for him, though. =)

I mean, I wouldn't be super mad, but I would be pretty miffed. I thought it was hilarious too, but that was before they announced Roy. Now that they've shown us Pichu and shown us that they can add new characters it'd be pretty mean to not actually give us Pichu. Good thing Project M is good enough that me being upset with the roster isn't going to affect my experience too too much.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I have another question for the PM:BR staff.

Is it possible to import animations from other Wii games?
For example... to ease up the workload for Samurai Goroh's animations, I thought of the PERFECT character to base his moves/animations off...

See that? The Shredder from TMNT Smash Up was already the Samurai Goroh I was thinking off in the back of my mind all along!
He's "Flame choking" Mikey right there. Not to mention he's got a Warlock Punch with a sword, Ganon's Fair, and plenty other "Ganon-like" moves!

If you ask me, you could pretty much port Shredder as he is, and map his moves to the appropiate buttons (because Smash Up's controls work different from Brawl's). But the point is.... he IS the equivalent of Ganondorf IN Smash Up. The similarities are uncanny.

--
Now since I'm at it...

MOVESET

A: Punch, Punch, Knee
Ftilt: Right hook
Utilt: Roundhouse heel kick
Dtilt: Sweep kick

Fsmash: Advancing sumo chop
Dsmash: Super Sweep Kick (covers both sides)
Usmash: Rising katana (a short uppercut jumping slice with his katana)

B: Stingray Blade
Btilt: Samurai acrobat slash (an extra jump that covers mostly horizontal distance while slashing below)
Bup: Rising blade (like Marth's except it goes straight up like Luigi)
Bdown: Samurai dive (Goroh spins around forward with his sword over his head, MK style)

Nair: Spinning arms (hits around him)
Fair: Samurai Punch (Knocks upward)
Dair: Samurai dive (a dive attack like Toon Link's that spikes)
Bair: "Flash Kick" (Angle would vary depending on what frame he hits you with)

Dash Attack: Double sumo palm strike

Final Smash: Fire Stingray (Clone of Captain Falcon's Blue Falcon)

Player -0

Smash Hero
They call me spitfire!
This probably goes in the other clone character thread.... I could see Samurai getting in though, F-Zero reps yo.
Possible Franchises?
- Poke'mon (Pichu would probably be the last)
- Earthbound/Mother
- Kid Icarus
- I kinda doubt for Pikmin
- Snake and co are 3rd party!
- Sonic and co are 3rd party!
- POSSIBLY a FE person
- Time to add slippy :troll:
- Maybe a Kirby person
- Smash people

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We're forgetting one main thing concerning these characters Chrono. Most of these characters are likely additions for Smash4. The last thing that the PM crew want to come off as is competing with the next Smash installment. We need to find a medium between characters that are unlikely, popular and deserving.
Mewtwo is probably the most likely character to be added to Smash 4 that wasn't in Brawl after the highly rumored trio (Mii, Little Mac, Pac-Man), yet he was added in. Roy too also has a good shot (at least 50/50) at returning in Smash 4.

Characters like Lyn and Sami definitely won't be in Smash 4, while Isaac's chances AT BEST are 50/50.

Ridley also may have 50/50 chances with Sakurai's hinting that he may be a stage hazard (though it could also be Sakurai trying to troll Ridley fans and Western Smash Bros. fans in general).

Dixie Kong has good chances to be in Smash 4, but may end up being outprioritized by K. Rool who is a more contrastive character than Dixie Kong is, and has higher requests than her in both Japan and the West.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
Mewtwo is probably the most likely character to be added to Smash 4 that wasn't in Brawl after the highly rumored trio (Mii, Little Mac, Pac-Man), yet he was added in. Roy too also has a good shot (at least 50/50) at returning in Smash 4.

Characters like Lyn and Sami definitely won't be in Smash 4, while Isaac's chances AT BEST are 50/50.

Ridley also may have 50/50 chances with Sakurai's hinting that he may be a stage hazard (though it could also be Sakurai trying to troll Ridley fans and Western Smash Bros. fans in general).

Dixie Kong has good chances to be in Smash 4, but may end up being outprioritized by K. Rool who is a more contrastive character than Dixie Kong is, and has higher requests than her in both Japan and the West.

Where do you get your stats from?

Edit: Please go here to continue the character speculation. http://smashboards.com/threads/clone-engine-character-speculation-and-discussion-thread.341479/

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Where do you get your stats from?
I'm a very long time veteran of Smash Bros. speculation. (have been doing it since 2001). Sakurai always throws curve ball characters with each games, but usually there is also a lot of "obvious" characters beforehand. If you want me to do a detailed write up for any particular character, feel free to ask.

Mewtwo for example is extremely likely to be in Smash 4 due to:
1. #1 Most wanted character in Japan.
2. #1 Most wanted character in the West.
3. Was already playable in Smash Bros. before, and planned for Brawl.
4. Has been promoted heavily with Pokemon X/Y, to the point that its mega-evolutions are debateable in regards to being the mascots for Generation 6.
5. Has been very heavily promoted by the Pokemon Company (of which Sakurai says has some say in Pokemon content in Smash Bros.), with a movie focusing on Mewtwo having been released only a few months ago.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Please go to the other thread to discuss this. I want to get started on talking about the technical parts of the clone engine, not the (speculative) results of it
I would have been done talking about character stuff, if you didn't throw snark my way.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is probably the most likely character to be added to Smash 4 that wasn't in Brawl after the highly rumored trio (Mii, Little Mac, Pac-Man), yet he was added in. Roy too also has a good shot (at least 50/50) at returning in Smash 4..
HAH
Well you win some you lose some.

Well OK, off topic.
Anyways, would using assist trophies as a base work? They have so few bones it seems impossible. I think they they could serve as an artistic base (in how they would look) at most. Agree, disagree?

MegaViralProxxy

Smash Rookie
I don't think they will put Megaman because he's going to be in SSB4 and they don't want to take away from that or try to "compete" with it.
The blog I read on the ProjectM site said they are only going to do characters already in the game.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
I don't think they will put Megaman because he's going to be in SSB4 and they don't want to take away from that or try to "compete" with it.
The blog I read on the ProjectM site said they are only going to do characters already in the game.
Let's not talk about this kind of stuff anymore.

Anyways, on topic. AT's wouldn't really work as a base for new characters since they don't have many bones and the textures are very bad, someone from the PMBR stated that the textures aren't suited for gameplay over long periods due to their quality. As I see it, it's best to use the trophies as a guideline in order to see what direction you want the model to go and a general idea of how textures should be placed.

Smash Apprentice
They have made it pretty clear that everything is done from scratch, so being in as an assist trophy probably doesn't increase anyone's chances.

My biggestwonder is how many available articles we aren't looking at. How many SSE enemies have completely unique projectiles or moves that we aren't even thinking about?

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
They have made it pretty clear that everything is done from scratch, so being in as an assist trophy probably doesn't increase anyone's chances.

My biggestwonder is how many available articles we aren't looking at. How many SSE enemies have completely unique projectiles or moves that we aren't even thinking about?
The thunder clouds seem to have two projectiles with the weak jolt and strong lightning.
The ROB clones have small lasers as well as snake-like Nikita missiles.
I guess the Scope Primid may count as well?
These are the ones I can think of from the top of my head

Smash Apprentice
The thunder clouds seem to have two projectiles with the weak jolt and strong lightning.
The ROB clones have small lasers as well as snake-like Nikita missiles.
I guess the Scope Primid may count as well?
These are the ones I can think of from the top of my head
Would those thunder jolts be a possibility for a Pichu type? I haven't played SSE in a while so importantnot able tto remember all that well. I think it would be interesting to see what exactly is available to the PMBR. Can they take moves from Pokemon? Meowths coins and Torchics fire orb thing might be worth editing.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
I don't know how possible it is for any of that to actually happen. I've never seen anything outside animations being borrowed from AT's

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Who needs snark when you have swag

I just want to hear how the process differs between putting a PSA on an existing character and putting one on one of these blank slots.

Yeah, I'm really curious about this. I imagine there's a lot of legwork to be done that a PSA doesn't have to worry about, because of things like their stats on the statistics pages (KOs, Deaths, highest percent, etc etc). They can't just use the same place in memory as the person they're a clone of, because then you'd have two people competing for those stats, and it'd either keep over-writing and restarting, it'd bounce back and forth between two different sets of stats, or it'd make the game crash because it had nowhere to write that to memory.

Also, what happens when you pick them for a single player mode? I imagine there's a lot of stuff you have to do to set that up, as well.

giantrobots

Smash Rookie
I know this, but there were times in the past where they've dropped subtle and obvious hints about Roy/Mewtwo and when people caught on they just covered their tracks with some slick response. All I'm saying is that you never know what the PMBR is up to.

shinhed-echi said:
Question:​
If say, Giga Bowser and Warioman are removed... Does that add 2 more slots available to be used? :D​
Just curious.​

Also, I do believe they are their own characters since they each have their own folder under the pf/fighter directories with FitMotion files and texture ones as well.

If Gigabowser and Warioman are their own characters, does that then mean it would possible programming-wise for one player to switch between controlling two different characters? If that is the case, I wonder if it could be possible to incorporate a Tag-Team mechanic-- not because I want P:M to become Marvel-- but because being able to select 2 characters to play as could become a new mode that could be fun and add another element of strategy.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
If Gigabowser and Warioman are their own characters, does that then mean it would possible programming-wise for one player to switch between controlling two different characters? If that is the case, I wonder if it could be possible to incorporate a Tag-Team mechanic-- not because I want P:M to become Marvel-- but because being able to select 2 characters to play as could become a new mode that could be fun and add another element of strategy.
Nothing like this is possible, seamlessly switching between characters mid-match is only a pipe dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom