• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clone Character Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
and you call sakurai biased? what the **** is this kind of thinking?

im done. im so done.

lets bring back young link. y.link mains should get priority guys.
Roy is at least more interesting than Lucina, just look at her she's a blue haired swordswomen who will be forgotten in the next fire emblem. At least roy was remembered due to smash, has red hair, fire effects and more differences than lucina and a bigger fanbase. Roy>Lucina when it comes to smash.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
If you dont get why shulk and robin arent all stars then you wont if I try to explain it. Theres no need in wasting time because you will say he is even though they are new not that popular or well recognized and one has no important hold to the series while the other isnt guaranteed to hold importance to the series.
Who said they weren't important or popular?

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
The people who mained roy (as crappy as roy is ) are more important than the people who could potentially main the crappy Lucina. Attachments were grown due to roys inclusion, there is no reason not to make those roy fans happy who were sad he was removed if you have time for a crappy full clone (like with dr. mario)
...so your only reason to include Roy is nostalgia? Rather than trying to draw in new FE:A A fans with a character they know and love? Smash was always an advertisement, what's new about that?

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
If you dont get why shulk and robin arent all stars then you wont if I try to explain it. Theres no need in wasting time because you will say he is even though they are new not that popular or well recognized and one has no important hold to the series while the other isnt guaranteed to hold importance to the series.
Please, I would love to hear you're reasoning. I'm honestly curious what you're prerequisites for an "all-star" is

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Dr. Mario:
HE IS MARIO ON A F****** LAB COAT! HE HAS THE SAME SIZE AND VOICE!!!!!!! He is so unnecesary. If they wanted to appeal to the people that liked Mario in Smash 64/ Melee why not just give Mario the damn tornado as a custom move? Also forgetting the fact that he is yet another damn Mario character. For something he was cut for Brawl, he sucks. Also his taunts are the saddest excuses for taunts ever put into excecution.

Dark Pit:
Dr Mario at least has the lab coat, but Dark Pit IS A F****** COLOR SCHEME!!! EXACT SAME SIZE! EXACT SAME MODEL! EXACT SAME VOICE!! No effort was put at all. Also, was Kid Icarus in the need of another character? Pit and Palutena are enough.

Lucina:
I totally forgive Lucina on this one. We all know her backstory in development and the only problem I have is that the devs didn't changed A SINGLE THING ABOUT HER FROM MARTH BESIDES NO TIPPER, MODEL AND TAUNTS!! NOT EVEN THE DAMN IDLE ANIMATIONS!! But unlike the other 2 idiots, sorry, clones, Lucina is actually a totally different character than Marth and is kinda justified she is a clone. BUT.... SAME CUSTOM MOVES!!!!!????? Out of those nitpicks, I have no problem with Lucy at all. I stand by my word that people that like Roy is because he was in Melee, that's it. Nobody in the FE community likes Roy. And about popularity, please don't come at me with "well the chart says..." BS.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Roy is at least more interesting than Lucina, just look at her she's a blue haired swordswomen who will be forgotten in the next fire emblem. At least roy was remembered due to smash, has red hair, fire effects and more differences than lucina and a bigger fanbase. Roy>Lucina when it comes to smash.
Lucina isn't poorly designed.

Lucina>Roy in Smash.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
...so your only reason to include Roy is nostalgia? Rather than trying to draw in new FE:A A fans with a character they know and love? Smash was always an advertisement, what's new about that?
It used to not be such a scummy advertisement. Roy for melee sure, Lucario and Ike for Brawl yeah, Robin/Lucina/Shulk/Palutena/Dark Pit/Villager/Wii Fit Trainer/Miis/Greninja/Rosalina for smash 4 is overkill.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Well I don't mind clones as much as everyone else but I can really see the hate for dr.mario. he alone gave people hope that mewtwo was in smash 4/5. When everyone found out they look back at the doctor and said "Y the #%$! Are u here y isn't mewtwo in the game! Blah blah balh" this game has the Most clone characters (I don't count Lucas and wolf as clones.)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It used to not be such a scummy advertisement. Roy for melee sure, Lucario and Ike for Brawl yeah, Robin/Lucina/Shulk/Palutena/Dark Pit/Villager/Wii Fit Trainer/Miis/Greninja/Rosalina for smash 4 is overkill.
boy am I GLAD that you don't pick the roster.

get out of here with this toxic "old is gold" mentality.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Please, I would love to hear you're reasoning. I'm honestly curious what you're prerequisites for an "all-star" is
Well you need to be one or a combination of the following. Iconic to a franchise on a large level, Important to a franchise on a large level, Very popular and have importance, or be Historically Important to nintendo. Consistency in a franchise also helps. No flavor of the month characters, they have to stand the test of time.

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
Mii's, really? And Palutena? Palutena has been in the Kid Icarus story since the first game. A lot of these characters appeared in games early on in the Wii's existence. The only characters there to appear after the release of the a Wii U are Greninja, Robin, Lucina and Dark Pit. Hyperbole does not prove your point.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
A 7 year old character is too recent apparently

Going back on topic. No, Roy has nothing on Lucina aside from being in a Smash game before, where he was met with poor reception.

Last edited:

j3lly

Smash Cadet
I'd honestly rather have no clones at all or alternate costumes than full-fledged clones.

Seems like such a lazy excuse.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Mii's, really? And Palutena? Palutena has been in the Kid Icarus story since the first game. A lot of these characters appeared in games early on in the Wii's existence. The only characters there to appear after the release of the a Wii U are Greninja, Robin, Lucina and Dark Pit. Hyperbole does not prove your point.
Now that was my marketing complaint post, I fully think Palutena, Mii's and Villager had merit to be included (even though I have no interest in them (and even possibly wii fit trainer dammit for dumb reasons like sales))

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
Well you need to be one or a combination of the following. Iconic to a franchise on a large level, Important to a franchise on a large level, Very popular and have importance, or be Historically Important to nintendo. Consistency in a franchise also helps. No flavor of the month characters, they have to stand the test of time.
You could make argument against Robin using this, but I don't see how Shulk doesn't fit all of these, especially with Xenoblade's popularity in Japan

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I just find it funny how Roy completely goes against MagnesD3's criteria of what an all star is but he's OK because he got in Smash regardless.

Yet he's arguing against Lucina. Lmao

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I just find it funny how Roy completely goes against MagnesD3's criteria of what an all star is but he's OK because he got in Smash regardless.

Yet he's arguing against Lucina. Lmao
If I had my say alot of characters who are in wouldnt be. Roy would have never happened in the first place and would have never resulted in a hurt fanbase when he was cut. But when comparing who is worse Id rather have Roy than Lucina for Roy's smash fanbase.

Last edited:

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure Robin and Lucina were in the best selling Fire Emblem game ever. Doesn't seem very 'flavor of the month' to me.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only person who really like how miis play in this game. At first I hated the idea and thought they would be done poorly but after seeing some game play the miis might be my most hyped character.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Awakening not saving the franchise is not enough apparently.

And I hate Awakening but come on lol
If I had my say alot of characters who are in wouldnt be. Roy would have never happened in the first place and would have never resulted in a hurt fanbase when he was cut. But when comparing who is worse Id rather have Roy than Lucina for Roy's smash fanbase.
It's too bad that Lucina already developed a Smash fanbase then.

Last edited:

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only person who really like how miis play in this game. At first I hated the idea and thought they would be done poorly but after seeing some game play the miis might be my most hyped character.
No, I love them too, but they aren't clones.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
You could make argument against Robin using this, but I don't see how Shulk doesn't fit all of these, especially with Xenoblade's popularity in Japan
Xenoblade is one game and isnt a very popular one (although its apparently great!) its very niche and has one entry, if the series received more entries and shulk was still important to the series and his popularity grew then I would consider him for sure but definitely not at this point.

Awakening not saving the franchise is not enough apparently.

And I hate Awakening but come on lol

It's too bad that Lucina already developed a Smash fanbase then.
Yes it is too bad. The damage is already done.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Smash roster is actually a democratic meeting. You need special privileges to get in.

Roy didn't but whatever he managed to sneak in so let him stay.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
No, I love them too, but they aren't clones.
The reason I even mention the is because they take move sets from other characters in there own way they aren't original. I still think that they are the most developed character in their own right since they are ment to be whoever u want then to be.

Last edited:

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Xenoblade is one game and isnt a very popular one (although its apparently great!) its very niche and has one entry, if the series received more entries and shulk was still important to the series and his popularity grew then I would consider him for sure but definitely not at this point.

Yes it is too bad. The damage is already done.
You do realize Xenoblade is the third in the series, right?

And you might want to read the wiki about its reception before saying it wasn't popular:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenoblade_Chronicles

Last edited:

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
You sound so butthurt over Roy it makes me laugh. I'll be honest Roy sucks. Not only in FE but in Smash to. since we have all these new FE games now Roy shouldn't come back at all now. Why? Because we can have way more known to date or better lords than him, plus if anything Roy (koopaling) seems so much more satisfying to have than a clone who only uses fire. Lucina's a clone also but I want new characters not old rehashes.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I'm just ticked that clones with a lot of differentiation, like Lucas and Wolf, were taken out in favor of new, only slightly different clones, like Lucina and The Edgy Recolor. (Dr. Mario gets a bit of leeway, because he uses Melee Mario gameplay, which falls closer to a Lucas/Ness type split.)

When customizable moves and costumes are now a thing, there's really no excuse for making a whole new character who only has the physics on their moves slightly tweaked. Especially when one of them is a literal recolor with his own theme music and a stolen final smash.

I don't hate them because they're new, or even for being the characters they are. (Dark Pit could have been an effective character if they'd been more true to how he was portrayed in Uprising, or if they had him use Brawl Pit's moveset.) I just think that Nintendo royally botched their inclusion and they should have either been skins for Marth, Pit, Mario, etc, or they should have been given unique A moves/animations and had more greatly tweaked B moves to justify their inclusion.

(I'm also irritated that they continue to the overbalance the roster toward Mario Characters and anime sword wielders, but that's a personal grievance that I can't force onto anyone else.)

D

Deleted Member

I think Dark Pit started as an alt for Pit, but became his own character for reasons. It's possible that Dark Pit and Lucina might be there to fill in the void caused by the Ice Climbers and possibly Chorus Kids being cut. Polar Bear and Sneaky Spirit are the only non playable series enemies, despite Sakurai stating that all Smash run enemies come from a playable series). Depending on Chrom's actual fate, Dr. Mario's presence would make sense as well, though I feel it's possible Doc was brought back for the sake of bringing back a cut Melee vet.

Arti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arti31415
3DS FC
2621-3001-2960
Roy is none of those -and- he was a flavor of the month character.

You're not helping your case.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Smash roster is actually a democratic meeting. You need special privileges to get in.

Roy didn't but whatever he managed to sneak in so let him stay.
Its better to keep the one that sneaked in then kick that guy out and let another sneak in who is unfamiliar. Heck the democratic guys even grew to except that first guy who snuck in.

Roy is none of those -and- he was a flavor of the month character.

You're not helping your case.
If you read my other posts you see that I also hate roy but he is the lesser of two evils when comparing Roy with Lucina.

You sound so butthurt over Roy it makes me laugh. I'll be honest Roy sucks. Not only in FE but in Smash to. since we have all these new FE games now Roy shouldn't come back at all now. Why? Because we can have way more known to date or better lords than him, plus if anything Roy (koopaling) seems so much more satisfying to have than a clone who only uses fire. Lucina's a clone also but I want new characters not old rehashes.
You know I hate roy right?

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Lucina isn't poorly designed.

Lucina>Roy in Smash.
Lucina is definitely not poorly designed, but you are incorrect about Roy. You have to understand that the clones in Melee had the same animations and would look the same visually. But what you need to know is that their moveset behaved differently. The keyword here is "behave". As in their moves would LOOK the same, but in actuality they all have their own distinguish hitboxes, speed, weight, frames. etc. Resulting in very different metagames, you could not play and practice with Roy and expect the same results with Marth, far from it. In this regard, Roy was extremely different from Marth in every way. Even more than Lucina, while she is not an exact replica of Marth either, she is much, much closer to just being a Marth skin than Roy was in Melee.

Please think about this.

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
Now that was my marketing complaint post, I fully think Palutena, Mii's and Villager had merit to be included (even though I have no interest in them (and even possibly wii fit trainer dammit for dumb reasons like sales))
How is Wii Fit trainer advertising for anything? There is no way that her inclusion in Smash will cause explosion in sales of Wii Fit U. Mii's aren't advertising, they don't even have a game to sell. If Nintendo wanted to advertises FE Awakening they would have added Chrom, not Robin. Instead they added the obviously more interesting character with the greater move set potential. If all they wanted to do was advertise games then Game and Watch, DHD, ROB and Ness would not be there, among others. I think you're blowing this marketing thing out of proportion

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Lucina is definitely not poorly designed, but you are incorrect about Roy. You have to understand that the clones in Melee had the same animations and would look the same visually. But what you need to know is that their moveset behaved differently. The keyword here is "behave". As in their moves would LOOK the same, but in actuality they all have their own distinguish hitboxes, speed, weight, frames. etc. Resulting in very different metagames, you could not play and practice with Roy and expect the same results with Marth, far from it. In this regard, Roy was extremely different from Marth in every way. Even more than Lucina, while she is not an exact replica of Marth either, she is much, much closer to just being a Marth skin than Roy was in Melee.

Please think about this.
Sure.

But he was poorly designed because of his gimped gimmick and being a bad character all around.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master

And you might want to read the wiki about its reception before saying it wasn't popular:

They might be in the same universe but this is arguable. Its more a spiritual successor than sequel.

How is Wii Fit trainer advertising for anything? There is no way that her inclusion in Smash will cause explosion in sales of Wii Fit U. Mii's aren't advertising, they don't even have a game to sell. If Nintendo wanted to advertises FE Awakening they would have added Chrom, not Robin. Instead they added the obviously more interesting character with the greater move set potential. If all they wanted to do was advertise games then Game and Watch, DHD, ROB and Ness would not be there, among others. I think you're blowing this marketing thing out of proportion
It cant be all marketing or they would delete a ton of the cast but almost all the newcomers are marketable. Wii Fit Trainer could be used to give an Icon to the Wii Fit series that honestly had no Icon and had a new entry for wii U.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Some people didn't want an option for Mario to not have a supersoaker, so they're annoyed.

I'll take clones over a smaller roster any day. I'm only disappointed when former clones are still identical (Hi Ganondorf, how's it goin?).

Xenoblade is about as related to Xenogears and Xenosaga as Final Fantasy 13 is to Final Fantasy 2. Or as Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is to Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon.

It's purely thematic until they establish an official canon and justify it somehow.

(inb4 someone brings up Zelda, which actually bothered to identify how its timeline worked)

Also, Shulk's popularity (especially in Japan, and amongst the few westerners who DID play Xenoblade) is pretty high.

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
It didn't sell well in America because of limited printings. However the same can be said for Earthbound and Ness is obviously an all-star. It did, however, sell very well in Japan.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
It didn't sell well in America because of limited printings. However the same can be said for Earthbound and Ness is obviously an all-star. It did, however, sell very well in Japan.
Id call Ness a smash star, not an all star. He would be included as a retro if I magically had control over the smash roster but I doubt he would have been there from the very beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom