• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clone Character Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khawner

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kh0njin
3DS FC
1864-9931-4634
With Smash 4 out, a prominent complaint I've seen is the addition of the clone trinity (specifically dark pit more than anyone else). People assume they were replacing an original character slot, which makes no sense. By the very nature of a clone, they are way easier to produce. They are only there to bolster the roster. The clones aren't replacing anyone, and didn't prevent any characters from getting in, so where does the anger stem from?

Rockman.EXE

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0275-7903-3108
Some people just don't like the clone characters or believe they could have been used for new characters/veterans instead.

Arti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arti31415
3DS FC
2621-3001-2960
Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina could have been a better non biased clone like Impa, Dixie, Roy, or even Alph.
Dixie can't logically work as a full clone of anyone.

Impa isn't important enough to Zelda to get into Smash, and even if she was, she'd probably be too high-priority to make into a clone.

Lucina is immensely popular right now, and at pretty much every point in time after FE:A's release, she has been more popular than Roy. She's a better choice for a Marth clone than Roy is.

Alph is the only one I agree on. Rock Pikmin are completely unrepresented in Olimar's moveset, so there would at least be SOME excuse to make Alph a separate character.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
we have been told that clones take 1/6th the time to make thats 3 clones which means 1/2 the time of a new character so we can get darkpit dr.mario and lucina or we can get the legs of a new character. just something to think about

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
It stems from including a copy of a character instead of someone new. I'm also wondering if some old characters couldn't just be costumes for current ones, what with Bowser Jr.'s alts making him more than BJ with a slightly lighter tint of green. Daisy could've been an alt for Peach- and I don't mean just hte costume, ACTUALLY Daisy. She can even change her Toad to one wearing a turban to pay homage to the fact she's the ruler of Sarasaland. Pichu could've been a Pikachu alt. Same stats and size, just change the voice and name called out when he wins. Pit and Dark Pit, same thing. Marth and Lucina, same thing. Even Dr. Mario, if you change Mario's fireballs into pills.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Dixie can't logically work as a full clone of anyone.

Impa isn't important enough to Zelda to get into Smash, and even if she was, she'd probably be too high-priority to make into a clone.

Lucina is immensely popular right now, and at pretty much every point in time after FE:A's release, she has been more popular than Roy. She's a better choice for a Marth clone than Roy is.

Alph is the only one I agree on. Rock Pikmin are completely unrepresented in Olimar's moveset, so there would at least be SOME excuse to make Alph a separate character.
Lucina is actually quite a bit less popular than Roy, Impa is very important to the franchise, and Dixie can easily work as a full clone although its lazy.

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
Lucina is actually quite a bit less popular than Roy, Impa is very important to the franchise, and Dixie can easily work as a full clone although its lazy.
Do you mean that Roy is more popular in Smash support or in general? In general Roy is regarded as one of the less popular lords and Lucina is extremely popular, especially in Japan. This is reason enough to put her in over Roy, from a business standpoint, despite fan support.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Roy hasn't been in a game in a decade. Lucina is a major character in the biggest FE game ever.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Do you mean that Roy is more popular in Smash support or in general? In general Roy is regarded as one of the less popular lords and Lucina is extremely popular, especially in Japan. This is reason enough to put her in over Roy, from a business standpoint, despite fan support.
Roy has more support to be in smash all around the world. If you dont believe me check shorties old polls that he took everywhere, Lucina was just the "new" thing. (omg waifu bait)

Arti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arti31415
3DS FC
2621-3001-2960
Roy has more support to be in smash all around the world. If you dont believe me check shorties old polls that he took everywhere, Lucina was just the "new" thing. (omg waifu bait)
Cool, Roy's more popular than Lucina with Smash fans in the west.

Now, how popular is he compared to Lucina with Fire Emblem fans worldwide?

Khao

Smash Lord
I have more problems with who they chose as clones than the fact that there are clones.

Dr. Mario is just unnecesary. As a character, he's literally just Mario wearing different clothes, and seeing how this game got two Mario newcomers, it wasn't exactly necesary to give Mario another extra character.

Dark Pit... Honestly, as a character I like him better than Dr. Mario, because even though he looks and fights exactly like Pit even canonically, at least he's a separate entity that's pretty darn important by himself in the game he's from, and that's a lot more than we can say about Dr. Mario. The problem, again, is that I really don't see the need for another Kid Icarus character, as it's a rather small franchise. Two characters were enough and very appreciated.

Lucina? I'm prefectly okay with her, except for one little detail.
They just didn't do enough with her.
Is she faster? Is she stronger? Does she move differently? Does she have something special about her playstyle that makes you control her in a different way as you'd do with Marth?
Naw, she just has no sweetspot to her sword. The one difference is that you just don't have to worry about spacing correctly, but otherwise, she has the exact same playstyle as Marth. Even Roy had more differences to how things worked.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut these are just sort-of annoyances. I don't really "hate" them, I just don't think they were good choices or handled well, or that they add many things of value to the roster. Heck, I'll probably still play as them as I would any other character, but pwah.

Take them off the game and the roster is still fantastic, so I can't really be mad. That doesn't mean I have to like them.

Impa is one of the few characters who gets repeated through several games, even though they're separate stories with "different" characters. Off the top of my head, there's at least five different incarnations of Impa throughout the series. There's very few characters that are the same in that sense. She rarely actually has a big role in the game she's from (only exceptions being Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword) but the fact that she's repeatedly given the "honor" of getting several incarnations alone makes her important to the series. Pretty much the only other characters who get repeated in the same way are the Triforce trio, Vaati, and Tingle.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Roy hasn't been in a game in a decade. Lucina is a major character in the biggest FE game ever.
Plz Lucina isnt that important to FE yet she's only been in one game, right now only Marth, Ike and Lyn to my knowledge have significance for the fe franchise. Roy is more important than Lucina to smash fans as well thats for sure.

Cool, Roy's more popular than Lucina with Smash fans in the west.

Now, how popular is he compared to Lucina with Fire Emblem fans worldwide?
Actually Japan wants Roy WAY more than we do. Thats were most of his votes came from. Shortie did good work with his polls taking them a ton of places.

Last edited:

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
we have been told that clones take 1/6th the time to make thats 3 clones which means 1/2 the time of a new character so we can get darkpit dr.mario and lucina or we can get the legs of a new character. just something to think about
But we could have gotten ridley's legs as a character, and ridley's leg are a actually a perfect fit size-wise :troll:

Khawner

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kh0njin
3DS FC
1864-9931-4634
It stems from including a copy of a character instead of someone new. I'm also wondering if some old characters couldn't just be costumes for current ones, what with Bowser Jr.'s alts making him more than BJ with a slightly lighter tint of green. Daisy could've been an alt for Peach- and I don't mean just hte costume, ACTUALLY Daisy. She can even change her Toad to one wearing a turban to pay homage to the fact she's the ruler of Sarasaland. Pichu could've been a Pikachu alt. Same stats and size, just change the voice and name called out when he wins. Pit and Dark Pit, same thing. Marth and Lucina, same thing. Even Dr. Mario, if you change Mario's fireballs into pills.
You don't seem to get it. If the clone characters weren't in the game, they would not be replaced with new character, there would simply be 3 absent slots.

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I agree with you completely. Roy definitely had more support than Lucina, but chances are if you're voting on poles about Smash Bros and posting on a forum dedicated to Smash bros, chances are you're going to buy the game. What characters like Lucina do is draw in people who have never been interested in a game like Smash who loved her character, increasing sales. I'm not saying it's right, even though I personally prefer having Lucina over Roy, but from a business standpoint it makes sense.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
You don't seem to get it. If the clone characters weren't in the game, they would not be replaced with new character, there would simply be 3 absent slots.
Says who? If there's enough room for new characters they should add new characters. That's why we actually got so many new characters.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Oh, I agree with you completely. Roy definitely had more support than Lucina, but chances are if you're voting on poles about Smash Bros and posting on a forum dedicated to Smash bros, chances are you're going to buy the game. What characters like Lucina do is draw in people who have never been interested in a game like Smash who loved her character, increasing sales. I'm not saying it's right, even though I personally prefer having Lucina over Roy, but from a business standpoint it makes sense.
I agree, this entire game imo reeks of businessmen

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Lucina is actually quite a bit less popular than Roy
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

You do know Roy is among the least popular lords in the series because he is the WORST in combat, right?

EDIT: It's also funny how you're accusing all this for shady business practice when Roy was added in Smash purely for advertisement in the first place.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
She's the most important of the one's listed. She's practically been in every Zelda with different iterations of her purpose & appearance.

Dixie & Impa whyyyyyyyyyyy :cry:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Maybe to FE fans but not to smash fans and there are more smash fans than FE fans.
And Roy was a badly designed character in Smash that really catered to no one. What's your point?

Doctor Mario was more popular than Mario in Melee. So I take you're fine with him?

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
I agree, this entire game imo reeks of businessmen
It doesn't reek of businessmen, it just makes sense business wise. Of all the companies that focus solely on profit to be made, Nintendo is not one of them. Lucina's inclusion is a smart decision that draws in more people, not something trying to drag more money out of you like some companies do with things like on-disc dlc.

Khao

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that the only reason people care about Roy at all is that he was already in the game once, not because he's actually relevant to anything.

Looking at it like that, I think Lucina is a far better choice.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Plz Lucina isnt that important to FE yet she's only been in one game, right now only Marth, Ike and Lyn to my knowledge have significance for the fe franchise. Roy is more important than Lucina to smash fans as well thats for sure.

Actually Japan wants Roy WAY more than we do. Thats were most of his votes came from. Shortie did good work with his polls taking them a ton of places.
Pretty sure Lucy being a star of the biggest FE game ever had a bit to do with it. From what I've seen, aside from as a Smash Character, Roy's pretty forgettable. Really just feels like nostalgia keeping him around, while Lucy's popularity is going nice and strong. Besides, she wasn't intended to be in the game, she's just an upgraded skin. There wasn't supposed to be 4 FE characters, so Roy never had a chance, Lucina didn't 'take his spot.'

I do kind of agree that Dr. Mario is kind of lame, but I like his moves more, especially since he's not losing FLUDD anytime soon, and even liking Dark Pit, they could have made a better clone. KI didn't need 3 reps, although for another clone, I'm not sure who I'd rather have.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
Says who? If there's enough room for new characters they should add new characters. That's why we actually got so many new characters.
because of development time? like how do you not get this.
type out a 1000 word essay and then tell me which is easier copy and pasting it or dont another one over again
there are no "spaces" on the roster is all about who they have time to include and clones are basically like copy and pasting

Khawner

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kh0njin
3DS FC
1864-9931-4634
I hope you understand the logic of what you just said, but anyways.

Production time + Deadlines = Everyone's favorite characters not magically appearing.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
And Roy was a badly designed character in Smash that really catered to no one. What's your point?

Doctor Mario was more popular than Mario in Melee. So I take you're fine with him?
Doctor Mario isnt more popular overall though than Mario himself throughout the smash fanbase derp.

It doesn't reek of businessmen, it just makes sense business wise. Of all the companies that focus solely on profit to be made, Nintendo is not one of them. Lucina's inclusion is a smart decision that draws in more people, not something trying to drag more money out of you like some companies do with things like on-disc dlc.
A ton of the character choices were all about marketing unlike many of the selections in brawl and melee. Thats why I say this game reeks of suits wanting to market "new" games out there so people are like "whos Robin, who's Shulk" go check out their newer games, they arent all stars just new characters getting in becuz money.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
because of development time? like how do you not get this.
type out a 1000 word essay and then tell me which is easier copy and pasting it or dont another one over again
there are no "spaces" on the roster is all about who they have time to include and clones are basically like copy and pasting
I hope you understand the logic of what you just said, but anyways.

Production time + Deadlines = Everyone's favorite characters not magically appearing.
I'm just pointing out a reason why people hate the clones. I really don't care who's in the game as long as it's fun.

Also, according to your logic, why include these clones at all when it's easier not to and save time?

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Doctor Mario isnt more popular overall though than Mario himself throughout the smash fanbase derp.
Then I'd like to see the statistics* that says that Roy is more popular than Lucina.

*Internet polls that caters to one specific group don't count and are laughably bad examples

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Roy was put into Melee for the sake of advertising an upcoming game. Lucina's nowhere near as bad in that regard.
I know but he grew a fanbase because of his inclusion (I would have never put him in the game in the first place just like lucina) its better to give the smashbase what they want instead of going for marketing bullcrap or omg shes female with blue hair its so different.

Then I'd like to see the statistics* that says that Roy is more popular than Lucina.

*Internet polls that caters to one specific group don't count and are laughably bad examples
I guess its a good thing shortie went to several different websites to gather the info with a nonbiased approach. Also Im not saying roy is more popular in the FE base only the smash base. And the smashbase is bigger than the fe base so Id go with the more popular one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I know but he grew a fanbase because of his inclusion (I would have never put him in the game in the first place just like lucina) its better to give the smashbase what they want instead of going for marketing bullcrap or omg shes female with blue hair its so different.
Lucina and Dark Pit are gonna gain a fanbase within Smash too. What's the loss?

I guess its a good thing shortie went to several different websites to gather the info with a nonbiased approach. Also Im not saying roy is more popular in the FE base only the smash base. And the smashbase is bigger than the fe base so Id go with the more popular one.
Were all these websites Smash forums?

Because if so..yeah, no.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Yeah and I hate that they get a free ride on the smash train when neither of them are All stars and dont deserve to be in the game. The point is why do something wrong twice when you can just do it the one time (roy) and keep those fans happy.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah and I hate that they get a free ride on the smash train when neither of them are All stars and dont deserve to be in the game. The point is why do something wrong twice when you can just do it the one time (roy) and keep those fans happy.
Neither was (and still isn't) Roy.

Holy crap the hypocrisy.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Were all these websites Smash forums?

Because if so..yeah, no.
No and why wouldnt that be accurate thats stupid to think that the smashbase wouldnt want roy back when it would be clear by the numbers. Hell most people dont even know who lucina is but they know roy because he was in melee.

Neither was (and still isn't) Roy.

Holy crap the hypocrisy.
The people who mained roy (as crappy as roy is ) are more important than the people who could potentially main the crappy Lucina. Attachments were grown due to roys inclusion, there is no reason not to make those roy fans happy who were sad he was removed if you have time for a crappy full clone (like with dr. mario)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
A ton of the character choices were all about marketing unlike many of the selections in brawl and melee. Thats why I say this game reeks of suits wanting to market "new" games out there so people are like "whos Robin, who's Shulk" go check out their newer games, they arent all stars just new characters getting in becuz money.
Not all stars? Robin and Shulk? You're joking right? Shulk is the protagonist of one of the best rated RPGS of the last generation and Robin is the protagonist of one of the best selling Fire Emblem games ever. Roy wasn't an all-star in melee. His game hadn't even been released. Just because some people didn't know them didn't mean that they weren't widely recognized and popular characters.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The people who mained roy (as crappy as roy is ) are more important than the people who could potentially main the crappy Lucina.
and you call sakurai biased? what the **** is this kind of thinking?

im done. im so done.

lets bring back young link. y.link mains should get priority guys.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Not all stars? Robin and Shulk? You're joking right? Shulk is the protagonist of one of the best rated RPGS of the last generation and Robin is the protagonist of one of the best selling Fire Emblem games ever. Roy wasn't an all-star in melee. His game hadn't even been released. Just because some people didn't know them didn't mean that they weren't widely recognized and popular characters.
If you dont get why shulk and robin arent all stars then you wont if I try to explain it. Theres no need in wasting time because you will say he is even though they are new not that popular or well recognized and one has no important hold to the series while the other isnt guaranteed to hold importance to the series.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
All Star is such a damn overused buzzword and a weak argument.

So is iconic.

Forget being a main character in a successful game you're still not an all star, whatever that means.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom