• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clone Character Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Sakurai can put in whatever character he wants to put in the Smash Bros. games, whether they're clones or not. If you don't like clone characters, then simply don't play as them or use them as punching bags or whatever. There is no excuse for anyone to be whining and complaining, like they just got their lunch money stolen, about their inclusions in the games.

And just so everyone should know, there is absolutely no such thing as a "waste of a character slot" or "deserving a spot" on the roster, which is just plain stupid. Those who think that way and/or criticizing Sakurai's choice of characters on the roster are not real Smash Bros. fans whatsoever.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai: "No more clones"..."cutting back on clones"..."here have more clones"

We are fans, we can criticize all we want, rofl.

I'd take Snake back over these characters, and I don't even like him / didn't think he fit at all. At least he wasn't 80% of another existing character.

Last edited:
I'm fine with clones. More options with the same move set. Plus that clone could be a character I like, such as Lucina and Dark Pit. I'm pretty satisfied with all the unique characters anyway.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Sakurai can put in whatever character he wants to put in the Smash Bros. games, whether they're clones or not. If you don't like clone characters, then simply don't play as them or use them as punching bags or whatever. There is no excuse for anyone to be whining and complaining, like they just got their lunch money stolen, about their inclusions in the games.

And just so everyone should know, there is absolutely no such thing as a "waste of a character slot" or "deserving a spot" on the roster, which is just plain stupid. Those who think that way and/or criticizing Sakurai's choice of characters on the roster are not real Smash Bros. fans whatsoever.
Id rather be open minded than a Sakurai drone.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman

Ach, laddie! Ya think ya can be driving us off with a No True Scottsman Fallacy?

Again, I don't hate clones in general. I just think these particular clones are awful.

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I'd seriously never understand the stupid "SAKURAI BIAS" accusations that Dark Pit has. He's just a clone of another character, like the other 5 clones in the game. How is this any different?
People strongly dislike Dark Pit because he is literally a colorswap from Pit. The other clone characters does not look even remotely similar to their counterparts, even Dr. Mario is distinguishable from Mario. Plus, Dark Pit marks the first ever clone addition that has previously been a color swap. (For Pit in Brawl)

And to top it all off, the time spent on Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina combined would've most likely been enough time to spend on bringing back Lucas or Wolf. Definitely not both, but one of them.

That's why we're being critical towards Sakurai's decisions.

Last edited:

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
Wow this thread took off. Only had one page when I started reading and now it has 5.... I've been taking notes and making rebuttals, not done yet, but I'm gonna post this now before the whole thing gets locked or something...

Impa isn't important enough to Zelda to get into Smash, and even if she was, she'd probably be too high-priority to make into a clone.
Impa is just as important to the Zelda series as Dark Pit is to Kid Icarus, if not more, since she appears repeatedly throughout the series. She'd make an excellent character, even if a clone, and I actually hope the newer rumors saying she will be DLC are true.

Her importance isn't the issue, what's holding her back though I think is her lack of popularity and exposure in Japan, (prior to Hyrule Warriors that is), so new and happening characters like Dark Pit and Lucina, and a vet like Dr. Mario, may have simply usurped her chances.

Overall she's not really a better or worse choice than the rest of the clones (even though I'd have personally preferred her over all of them combined....).

Alph is the only one I agree on. Rock Pikmin are completely unrepresented in Olimar's moveset, so there would at least be SOME excuse to make Alph a separate character.
What exactly makes Alph any better a choice than Doc/Pitoo/Lucina?

Doc represents an entire successful puzzle franchise and had tons of Melee fans. Dark Pit and Lucina are bother very popular characters in Japan. Alph is......... what exactly?

Pikmin is still quite niche, and Alph simply doesn't have the level of exposure and popularity as the other three clone characters, so it makes perfect sense that he's just a costume and the other three get more limelight roles, since they are characters who appeal to more fans. He's not in because he's not as popular a character and they don't have infinite dev time, not even for more clones.

Besides, it's the Pikmin themselves that are the appeal of the franchise, if they were going to include Rock Pikmin they'd have just done it in Olimar's set. Don't need Alph for that.

I have more problems with who they chose as clones than the fact that there are clones.

Dr. Mario is just unnecesary. As a character, he's literally just Mario wearing different clothes, and seeing how this game got two Mario newcomers, it wasn't exactly necesary to give Mario another extra character.
I don't see how being "the same character wearing different clothes" is really a legit argument. We have Sheik and ZSS after all, and plenty of other fighting game series have alternate versions of their main characters, like Evil Ryu or Devil Jin or Boneclaw Wolverine. This isn't something new or barring of characters, and if anyone deserves it then it's Mario.

It used to not be such a scummy advertisement. Roy for melee sure, Lucario and Ike for Brawl yeah, Robin/Lucina/Shulk/Palutena/Dark Pit/Villager/Wii Fit Trainer/Miis/Greninja/Rosalina for smash 4 is overkill.
.... none of those characters you listed are even comparable to Roy's inclusion in Melee.

Roy was included for the sole purpose of advertising a game. A game that wasn't even out at Melee's release.

Every other character you listed was at least popular and had exposure prior to Brawl/SSB4's release. What you're basically saying here is that characters who are popular and current should not get in. Is that seriously what you're saying?

Dr. Mario:
HE IS MARIO ON A F****** LAB COAT! HE HAS THE SAME SIZE AND VOICE!!!!!!! He is so unnecesary. If they wanted to appeal to the people that liked Mario in Smash 64/ Melee why not just give Mario the damn tornado as a custom move? Also forgetting the fact that he is yet another damn Mario character. For something he was cut for Brawl, he sucks. Also his taunts are the saddest excuses for taunts ever put into excecution.

Dark Pit:
Dr Mario at least has the lab coat, but Dark Pit IS A F****** COLOR SCHEME!!! EXACT SAME SIZE! EXACT SAME MODEL! EXACT SAME VOICE!! No effort was put at all. Also, was Kid Icarus in the need of another character? Pit and Palutena are enough.

Lucina:
I totally forgive Lucina on this one. We all know her backstory in development and the only problem I have is that the devs didn't changed A SINGLE THING ABOUT HER FROM MARTH BESIDES NO TIPPER, MODEL AND TAUNTS!! NOT EVEN THE DAMN IDLE ANIMATIONS!! But unlike the other 2 idiots, sorry, clones, Lucina is actually a totally different character than Marth and is kinda justified she is a clone. BUT.... SAME CUSTOM MOVES!!!!!????? Out of those nitpicks, I have no problem with Lucy at all. I stand by my word that people that like Roy is because he was in Melee, that's it. Nobody in the FE community likes Roy. And about popularity, please don't come at me with "well the chart says..." BS.
ha ha ha oh wow

So I take it you'd rather have nothing? Because that's the alternative.

They didn't have time to make tons of new animations and differences. They didn't have time to make them semi-clones instead of direct-clones. Palette swaps and direct copies were all they had time for. The alternative is nothing.

You're saying no effort went into it, when in reality it likely was all the effort to even cram these guys in as a last-minute bonus. If anything we should be grateful they took the time do this instead of just calling it quits at 48.

All the clones were "unnecessary", that's what makes them bonuses.

I'd honestly rather have no clones at all or alternate costumes than full-fledged clones.

Seems like such a lazy excuse.
..... how.... how is developers going out of they're way to add MORE EXTRA CONTENT when they didn't need to considered "lazy"?

Seriously? Some of you people just make no sense to me.........

I'm just ticked that clones with a lot of differentiation, like Lucas and Wolf, were taken out in favor of new, only slightly different clones, like Lucina and The Edgy Recolor.
..... yeah that isn't what happened. At all.

Have you heard of "time constraints"? They didn't push out any of the more unique characters like Wolf/Lucas, they simply didn't have time to make those characters, so they made clones instead.

Clones take a sixth of the time to make than a unique character or kind-of-unique character. Wolf isn't a clone, and Lucas is still very unique, they would have taken much more time to create than any of the SSB4 clones which is likely why they didn't make it in - time constraints.

I'm willing to bet they were able to make Doc, Lucina, and DP in the half the time it would have taken them to make a unique character like Wolf. That's why they got in. Because they were down to the wire and it was either them or half of Wolf. Your pick.

I just think that Nintendo royally botched their inclusion and they should have either been skins for Marth, Pit, Mario, etc, or they should have been given unique A moves/animations and had more greatly tweaked B moves to justify their inclusion.
Well since the second one simply wasn't possible because of time constraints, I guess you're saying you'd rather we have LESS content in the game and just make them costumes? What exactly is the benefit of this?

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice

I disagree with a lot of what people say about how characters are more deserving than others and the temper tantrums a few people threw after some characters got deconfirmed. However, claiming that finding faults in the game means that you aren't a fan of the game is just as bad, if not worse, and riddled with fallacies.

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
Just how delusional can these people be?

Did you seriously just said that?
No, you seem to be the one who is delusional. Finding faults in something does not mean you are not a fan. In fact, if you can't see the flaws of something you enjoy, that doesn't make you loyal. It makes you blind.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
No, you seem to be the one who is delusional. Finding faults in something does not mean you are not a fan. In fact, if you can't see the flaws of something you enjoy, that doesn't make you loyal. It makes you blind.
At least I don't whine and complain about this and I can see just fine, thank you very much.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I honestly have no opinion of Dr. Mario. He's melee mario. There ya go. I wish something more was done with Lucina cause she had potential to be a semi-clone at the very least. The same with Dark Pit Really except a little worse because Lucina has a niche with the balanced hitbox on her sword and Dr. Mario has the tornado Down-B. Dark Pit has nothing that makes him stand out from Pit.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Maybe they use clones because they were on a time constraint and they needed some new characters?

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
At least I don't whine and complain about this and I can see just fine, thank you very much.
"WAAAH! STOP BEING NEGATIVE TOWARDS MY LORD SAKURAI! HE'S PERFECT!"

We're being constructive, because we're more open minded than people like you.

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
Criticism =/= whining
Enjoying the game for what it is does not make you blind, but attacking and judging others for making criticisms does. Vast generalizations don't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom