• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chorus Kids for Smash Bros. DLC! ~ Lend your Song of Support in the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot! ~

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I didn't realize I'd come back to see some misunderstandings. I think I'd better clarify what I mean.

Define this so-called "spirit" that you're looking for so much. Karate Joe is very much a silly character: he punches stuff to music. The spirit of Rhythm Heaven is doing a bunch of silly stuff to music, not just singing.
Sorry I was a bit vague on the "spirit" of Rhythm Heaven, I can see why that would cause confusion. Your definition of the series' spirit might work, but if you think that's enough to say that Karate Joe is a more suitable Rhythm Heaven rep for Smash Bros. than the Chorus Kids, I have to disagree.

You say that "doing a bunch of silly stuff to music" is the spirit of Rhythm Heaven, and I would agree that that's certainly a facet of it. But I don't believe you can say that punching and kicking qualifies as "doing a bunch of silly stuff" any more than "just singing." Punching and kicking is really only more than singing by one extra action.

In fact, I might argue that the spirit of Rhythm Heaven isn't just doing silly things, but also doing things in a silly way. Look at Karate Joe, then the Chorus Kids. Now, this is completely subjective, but Karate Joe appears serious and focused to me, whereas the Chorus Kids appear lighthearted and silly- just look at how they sing- to me. If we could assume that to be objectively true, then I'd argue that the Chorus Kids could potentially represent the Rhythm Heaven series' spirit just as well as Karate Joe could, if not better.

Excuse me, but EVERY POTENTIAL RHYTHM HEAVEN CHARACTER IS GOING TO HAVE TO DRAW FROM VARIOUS MINIGAMES. I could easily claim that all the Chorus Kids do is just sing and that they couldn't do anything else.
This is a fair point, and for the sake of things, I don't think we can really guess how a moveset would be developed for any Rhythm Heaven character that got into Smash.

I may not have made my point clear, then, and this is, again, pretty subjective. When thinking of Karate Joe, I tend to imagine that he would already have his whole moveset based around his punches and kicks; Little Mac could do that with almost just punches, and if Karate Joe can kick as well, then there should be no particular need for him to draw from other Rhythm Heaven minigames to complete his moveset. This was my original point- while it feels to me most fitting for him to use only punches and kicks, Karate Joe wouldn't represent the series very well, in my opinion, if he stuck to just his own thing. He can still take from other RH minigames, as his moveset is determined by Sakurai and his team and not me, but then I can't help but think it would look very unfitting for Karate Joe to pull out various objects from other minigames- more unfitting than if the Chorus Kids did the same.

Again, this is just my opinion. I know it's a long shot, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were thinking of something completely different. Both Karate Joe and the Chorus Kids are viable to have some moveset work for them, and they can both represent Rhythm Heaven capably. I simply feel that the Chorus Kids are a better choice; my stance may mostly rely on opinions, but that doesn't mean I don't intend to stand by them.

Will you quit it with this fallacious argument that does not help anyone's case?
...Wait, was I arguing? I don't think I was. I didn't intend to, anyway. Look, in all honesty, I really just wanted to give my own input on the situation. After all, I've mentioned a lot up to now that much of what I'm saying is my opinion. I can't establish a strong argument without facts, after all. I don't hope you're telling me I can't speak my own opinion, though.

Chorus Kids was a fun game. Certainly the simplest of the "trio" games which I generally have some trouble on (Clappy Trio gave me nightmares). But Karate Joe has been with us since the very first game. A distinction that will carry into Rhythm Heaven: The Best Plus (the title of the newest game FYI).
I'll admit that Karate Man is a pretty fun game. It's hard for me not to get engaged with the rhythm of that minigame. I'll also admit I didn't know that Karate Joe has been in all the Rhythm Heaven games so far. If that's a point for him more likely being DLC over the Chorus Kids, then fair enough. I'm still going to continue supporting the Chorus Kids because I personally like them more, though.

Even if you're generous and count Marshal as being one of them, that's still one less game that any of the Chorus Kids appears in.
Again, if that's a point to Karate Joe, then so be it. If there's anything I could say about that, it'd be that I don't think that guarantees Karate Joe getting in Smash over the Chorus Kids. It is a fair point that most RH games don't use many characters that consistently, which might help the former's case. But who knows? A character's longevity is credible, but so is their popularity and support. And this thread is proof that the Chorus Kids have a lot of fan support despite appearing in less games, no matter how you look at it.

Quillion

Smash Hero
tl;won't copy
Is Karate Joe using a bunch of props from other minigames somehow more unfitting than a random civillian from G&W Fire using random objects from various G&W games?

And again, the only reason the Chorus Kids have as much fan support as they do is because of that stupid leak which we have no further information about because of the leaker's silence on the matter.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Is Karate Joe using a bunch of props from other minigames somehow more unfitting than a random civillian from G&W Fire using random objects from various G&W games?
This is actually exactly one of the reasons why I think the Chorus Kids would be much more appropriate to don such a moveset. Mr. Game and Watch and the Kids are both very simple, neutral, and silly looking characters, as opposed to the tough looking Karate Joe who would, quite frankly, look pretty out of place utilizing the props. The Chorus Kids would arguably represent the silly and lighthearted spirit of Rhythm Heaven better with their design, not to mention having previously mentioned perks such as the trio aspect. As @ ItsMeBrandon ItsMeBrandon was saying, it is indeed a subjective matter, though I'd place money on the majority (and Sakurai) agreeing to this design choice.
And again, the only reason the Chorus Kids have as much fan support as they do is because of that stupid leak which we have no further information about because of the leaker's silence on the matter.
As I've stated before, it's just one of those things that you don't fully realize until being pointed out to you, not to mention how implausible a trio character seemed prior to the leak and some of the unique newcomers. They make a lot of sense in retrospective.

So what if a lot of people didn't realize the potential of the Chorus Kids until after the leak? The fact of the matter is that it happened and they are an extremely viable choice.
I'd be pissed if Chorus Kids were THE Rhythm Heaven character.
I'm just curious, what is your beef with them? You expressed genuine negativity for them becoming the Rhythm Heaven character.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm just curious, what is your beef with them? You expressed genuine negativity for them becoming the Rhythm Heaven character.
Because Rhythm Heaven fans generally wanted Karate Joe (with minor contingents for Ringside Wrestler, Marshal, Tap Trial Girl, and Monkey) for all of the reason I just stated. Appeared in all games (plus will appear in The Best+ both in new and old forms) and Karate Man across all the iterations is considered to be one of the most fun minigames in the whole series, has genuine moveset potential of his own PLUS the ability to use everything else from Rhythm Heaven.

Now with that stupid leak, opinion towards him has turned around for a game-specific mascot (we have no proof whether it was real or not) all because of mob mentality and not because of genuine desire for them.

Me, I'm sticking with my Karate Man. He's the true mascot of the whole series to me and the various game-specific mascots throughout the series (the drum teacher from Tengoku/Silver; Chorus Kids in Heaven; Marshal, Cam, and Miss Ribbon in Fever; and Tebiri in The Best+) won't ever change that.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
One major problem I see with gathering votes for Chorus Kids is how they will be balanced. The common thought is that you will be required to kill all three just to get one stock.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
I firmly believe Nintendo will use them as a DLC to promote Rhythm Heaven series in the west again.

Nothing better than Smash bros to bring more interest to franchises (i.e Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem)

Sakurai kept Chorus Kids out of the final game for a reason, mark my words.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
One major problem I see with gathering votes for Chorus Kids is how they will be balanced. The common thought is that you will be required to kill all three just to get one stock.
This doesn't seem realistic, I think they will all move together and have weak moves with a long range.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This doesn't seem realistic, I think they will all move together and have weak moves with a long range.
Would they be able to work if the Ice Climbers could not? I am asking this because my sister is a Chorus Kids fan and I think they would be neat if they could be implemented well.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Would they be able to work if the Ice Climbers could not? I am asking this because my sister is a Chorus Kids fan and I think they would be neat if they could be implemented well.
If Sakurai make them work like Popo and Nana it can definitely ruin their chances to be on the 3DS version and I don't want that.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If Sakurai make them work like Popo and Nana it can definitely ruin their chances to be on the 3DS version and I don't want that.
Then how would you suggest they be implemented? Just have the other two show up when attacking or performing combos?

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Then how would you suggest they be implemented? Just have the other two show up when attacking or performing combos?
@ Jigglystep Jigglystep said it best, in my opinion.

(Note: Replying to a post about RosaLuma and Duck Hunt)

This is exactly how I've always imagined them working. A group character does not necessarily warrant a separate AI, Duck Hunt, Olimar, and Rosalina being an indicator of that. I can see the Kids huddling up in a triangle formation for their idle stance as one hurtbox, running in a line for their run, and visually separating during attacks to give the illusion of three characters, when in actuality it's one. Think Rosalina and Luma if Luma could not be separated or be killed.

This is actually quite a common fallacy argument against the Chorus Kids, so I just might do a little writeup regarding it in the OP. (which, by the way, I've recently updated and cleaned up! Check it out. I plan to add some more stuff. :))

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Because Rhythm Heaven fans generally wanted Karate Joe (with minor contingents for Ringside Wrestler, Marshal, Tap Trial Girl, and Monkey) for all of the reason I just stated. Appeared in all games (plus will appear in The Best+ both in new and old forms) and Karate Man across all the iterations is considered to be one of the most fun minigames in the whole series, has genuine moveset potential of his own PLUS the ability to use everything else from Rhythm Heaven.
You could maybe, you know, speak for yourself? I am a Rhythm Heaven fan and I never wanted and still don't want freaking Karate Joe as the Rhythm Heaven rep. If it is not the Chorus Kid (admittedly, they aren't my first pick), the Reporter + Wrestler or the Rhythm Girl would be much more interesting reps.
I firmly believe Nintendo will use them as a DLC to promote Rhythm Heaven series in the west again.

Nothing better than Smash bros to bring more interest to franchises (i.e Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem)

Sakurai kept Chorus Kids out of the final game for a reason, mark my words.
If that is the case, Inkling is pretty much confirmed then :p

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Why does everyone bring this up as if there's anything wrong with that?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Why does everyone bring this up as if there's anything wrong with that?
Because you and others would be supporting Karate Joe if it weren't for that leak. The REAL mascot of the whole series (when the other mascots are just game-specific).

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Why does it matter to you who other people support? I'd be more than OK with ANY Rhythm Heaven character (I'd LOVE Karate Joe) but the Chorus Kids are the ones that I like the most. It's not like the majority of Chorus Kids fans AREN'T Rhythm Heaven fans (or people who got into Rhythm Heaven because they liked the idea of them and that's a really good thing!)

There was very likely a Rhythm Heaven character being worked on even before the leak and if we're getting anyone it's probably going to be that character (assuming the issue with said character gets resolved). We don't exactly influence the roster.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Why does it matter to you who other people support? I'd be more than OK with ANY Rhythm Heaven character (I'd LOVE Karate Joe) but the Chorus Kids are the ones that I like the most. It's not like the majority of Chorus Kids fans AREN'T Rhythm Heaven fans (or people who got into Rhythm Heaven because they liked the idea of them and that's a really good thing!)

There was very likely a Rhythm Heaven character being worked on even before the leak and if we're getting anyone it's probably going to be that character (assuming the issue with said character gets resolved). We don't exactly influence the roster.
exactly most of us are probably up for any rhythm paradise character

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
I probably mentioned part of this earlier.
But I think it's safe to say that Chorus Kids or any Rhythm Heaven Rep will be announced in June along side the Japanese Release of Rhythm Heaven Plus.

Many characters in the Smash 4 roster have been announced alongside the release dates of their games, announcements for their upcoming games or anniversaries of one of their games.

Toon Link was announced close to the release of Wind Waker, and Shulk was announced the same time Xenoblade was announced for New 3DS. Hope they kept their Rhythm Heaven Character on hold just for this moment, it's perfect to promote their new game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I probably mentioned part of this earlier.
But I think it's safe to say that Chorus Kids or any Rhythm Heaven Rep will be announced in June along side the Japanese Release of Rhythm Heaven Plus.

Many characters in the Smash 4 roster have been announced alongside the release dates of their games, announcements for their upcoming games or anniversaries of one of their games.

Toon Link was announced close to the release of Wind Waker, and Shulk was announced the same time Xenoblade was announced for New 3DS. Hope they kept their Rhythm Heaven Character on hold just for this moment, it's perfect to promote their new game.
well sure if theyre already in development

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I gotta say, Rhythm Paradise is really fun, but ye gods is it hard. Either the game is extremely punishing or I have no sense of rhythm, because I've skipped a lot of the games and only have four medals thus far. I can't even get a medal for Glee Club! ;w;

My favourite games right now are Built to Scale, Fillbots, Fan Club, Blue Birds, Love Lizards and The Dazzles. The Remixes are absolutely brutal, though - still, for less than a tenner, it's pretty amazing value~ :3

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Chorus Kids are getting abnormally low ratings as of late in the RTC, do you guys mind helping me rate guys. I seriously think people are underrating him.
http://smashboards.com/threads/rate-their-chances-the-dlc-edition-day-24-chorus-kids.398604/page-68
Done.

If anyone is interested, I put up a fairly lengthy writeup on why I think the Chorus Kids have a solid chance of making it in as DLC. I hope we can shed some light on those unaware of their potential!

http://smashboards.com/threads/rate...y-24-chorus-kids.398604/page-69#post-19139189

Quillion

Smash Hero
How does it feel that in the trailers for The Best+, Karate Man has been getting front-and-center publicity instead of the Glee Club?

This one's kinda different, but Karate Man still showcases the multiplayer mode:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
You say that "doing a bunch of silly stuff to music" is the spirit of Rhythm Heaven, and I would agree that that's certainly a facet of it. But I don't believe you can say that punching and kicking qualifies as "doing a bunch of silly stuff" any more than "just singing." Punching and kicking is really only more than singing by one extra action.

I may not have made my point clear, then, and this is, again, pretty subjective. When thinking of Karate Joe, I tend to imagine that he would already have his whole moveset based around his punches and kicks; Little Mac could do that with almost just punches, and if Karate Joe can kick as well, then there should be no particular need for him to draw from other Rhythm Heaven minigames to complete his moveset. This was my original point- while it feels to me most fitting for him to use only punches and kicks, Karate Joe wouldn't represent the series very well, in my opinion, if he stuck to just his own thing. He can still take from other RH minigames, as his moveset is determined by Sakurai and his team and not me, but then I can't help but think it would look very unfitting for Karate Joe to pull out various objects from other minigames- more unfitting than if the Chorus Kids did the same.
You know, I had never assumed that a Rhythm Heaven character would use props heavily in the move set.

Really, outside of those hairy beets, the widget, and maybe... whatever the heck that blimp thing was in Donk-Donk, it's hard to differentiate any particular from some generic item.

Whenever I think of a move set, I tend to rely more on motions and movements more than any object. While many of these are still punches and kicks, many (ideally, all) could be traced back to some mini game or other from the series. Put in the original/improved sound effects and vocals, and you're golden.

For a given example, I'll provide a few cue from the series. Notice anything?

"GO-GO-GO! (Thk-Thk-Thoom) And Jab (thp), Jab (thp)..."

"Wina-wacka-Wirt-Wirt! Wina-wacka-Wirt-Wirt!"

"Hm! O-K! Hm! O-K!"

"Peck your beak. (Wagh, wagh, wagh). Strech-out your neck! (Wah-hmm!)"

"Thiseat down, Thiseat down, Paw-Pa-Pa-Punch!"

Typically, you remember what the characters are doing before anything else, don't you?

I don't see the problem, especially if they manage to pick the right animations. The throws in particular source of silkiness; Imagine bowling opponents like Mandrill did in Hole in One, or my personal favorite of spanking the opponent a la Munchy Monk.

This is why I go for Karate Joe over anyone else. His anatomy is so very humanoid, which is a problem with many of the other supposed characters being chibi and therefore unable to give the same meaning to many of the moves the other characters can perform. The Rhythm Girl, hypothetically speaking, could act just the same, but I would say that Joe, already being a fighter, makes just a bit more sense.

It's a good representation of the series, no?

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I don't really know why people hate Chorus Kids.
I think they look awesome, they would be unique and also represent RH very well.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
How does it feel that in the trailers for The Best+, Karate Man has been getting front-and-center publicity instead of the Glee Club?
Because Karate Joe is superior.
Please quit with all these incredibly pointless subjective posts. We get it, you prefer Karate Joe. Go express your support for the character in his thread rather than putting us down here, you don't see us raiding the Karate Joe thread with baseless claims against him.

Asian_Charizard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-4223-6174
I haven't played any of the RH games, but I think Chorus Kids could be unique for having a rhythmic moveset. I'm always up for newcomers that bring something new to the table, so please add me on the support list! :)

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936

I found this, felt like it shouldn't go to waste.
I actually have this under potential movesets in the OP, @ KimmotMan KimmotMan made it! It definitely gives an solid idea of what their moveset might look like.

I haven't played any of the RH games, but I think Chorus Kids could be unique for having a rhythmic moveset. I'm always up for newcomers that bring something new to the table, so please add me on the support list! :)
Added! Always glad to see some more supporters coming in. I too am very inquired by the potential character concept they would present! If you want to get an idea of what their moveset could pull from, definitely check out some videos of the goofy RH minigames. :D

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone!
To be honest, I don't know why it took me so long to find this thread.
But, however, here I am now! :upsidedown:

I'm sure a lot of you here would already be happy to see any Rhythm Heaven character in Smash. And so would I.
I also support Karate Joe. (My avatar and signature should be proof enough. :rolleyes:)

A lot of people argue that Chorus Kids supporters wouldn't be as many as there are now, without the leak.
And, well, I believe... they are right.
Yet, I don't say this is a bad thing, no, not at all!
Without this leak, most people would just think about more obvious characters, like Karate Joe.
But Sakurai had an unique idea and people started to like this idea enough, so that they want it now to be in the game.
And this is what real support defines.
Supporting a unique charcter (three, to be accurate :p), almost no one ever thought about.

But enough of that.
I have a question to you, was it ever brought up that the Chorus Kids could have been Marshal, Cam and Miss Ribbon?
Of course, according to the name "Chorus Kids" the three Marshal-like characters would be more obvious, but hear me out.

While the Chorus Kids have a trophy on 3DS, on Wii U is a Marshal, Cam and Miss Ribbon trophy.
So far, it makes sense, because Glee Club = DS; Marshal etc. = Wii. Nothing special.
But the point is the following:
Why should they write something in their description about the Chorus Kids?
They are clearly talking about all three of them, too.
But this isn't even the biggest point, no.
In the german version of Smash, in their description is written something like:
"And these guys are supposed to be Chorus Members?"
Since then, I thought, could the Chorus Kids have been Marshal, Cam and Miss Ribbon?

But what actually could be the case is that the translators just translated it wrong...
Or... they forgot to change it... and used this from their cut character trophy description.

Oh boy, this is a wall of text... I didn't even want to write that much, but now it is too late. :p
However, I'm looking forward to be a part of this thread!
And, hopefully, we will get our Rhythm Heaven charcter in Smash! :colorful:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Hey everyone!
To be honest, I don't know why it took me so long to find this thread.
But, however, here I am now! :upsidedown:

I'm sure a lot of you here would already be happy to see any Rhythm Heaven character in Smash. And so would I.
I also support Karate Joe. (My avatar and signature should be proof enough. :rolleyes:)

A lot of people argue that Chorus Kids supporters wouldn't be as many as there are now, without the leak.
And, well, I believe... they are right.
Yet, I don't say this is a bad thing, no, not at all!
Without this leak, most people would just think about more obvious characters, like Karate Joe.
But Sakurai had an unique idea and people started to like this idea enough, so that they want it now to be in the game.
And this is what real support defines.
Supporting a unique charcter (three, to be accurate :p), almost no one ever thought about.

But enough of that.
I have a question to you, was it ever brought up that the Chorus Kids could have been Marshal, Cam and Miss Ribbon?
Of course, according to the name "Chorus Kids" the three Marshal-like characters would be more obvious, but hear me out.

While the Chorus Kids have a trophy on 3DS, on Wii U is a Marshal, Cam and Miss Ribbon trophy.
So far, it makes sense, because Glee Club = DS; Marshal etc. = Wii. Nothing special.
But the point is the following:
Why should they write something in their description about the Chorus Kids?
They are clearly talking about all three of them, too.
But this isn't even the biggest point, no.
In the german version of Smash, in their description is written something like:
"And these guys are supposed to be Chorus Members?"
Since then, I thought, could the Chorus Kids have been Marshal, Cam and Miss Ribbon?

But what actually could be the case is that the translators just translated it wrong...
Or... they forgot to change it... and used this from their cut character trophy description.

Oh boy, this is a wall of text... I didn't even want to write that much, but now it is too late. :p
However, I'm looking forward to be a part of this thread!
And, hopefully, we will get our Rhythm Heaven charcter in Smash! :colorful:
Welcome.
Yeah, that trophy does raise some eyebrows. Lets all hope those eybrows are raised in the right way.

Top Bottom