• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chorus Kids for Smash Bros. DLC! ~ Lend your Song of Support in the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot! ~

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Man if we're being hipsters I wanted a Rhythm Heaven character before the leak.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Pretty much the only problem with the 'got the name wrong' theory is Chorus Men rather than Chorus Man. Unless the leaker made a typo (which is a hilarious possibility), that points to three. Has anyone else thought of the possibility of the fighter being one of the men, and simply summoning the other two for certain attacks? I was thinking one other for Smashes, both of the others for specials, and maybe some stuff with grabs.

Add me to the supporter list. I got a demo of the game a long long time ago (can't even remember how). It took my a good few hours before I remembered I had played their mini-game. I don't think I beat it (crappy sense of rhythm), though.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Man if we're being hipsters I wanted a Rhythm Heaven character before the leak.
I can understand wanting a Rhythm Heaven character before the leak, I just doubt people wanted the Chorus Men specifically before the leak. This topic is only a few days old, after all.

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Idea for a gimmick/mechanic: While fighting the Chorus men keep singing, humming, and whistling to the beat of the background music. If you tap B then they "shut their yaps" whenever you release the button they let loose a synchronized "Wah!!" The longer you hold it in the bigger the welp is. It takes a while to build up so you can hit them while they are "charging up", so to speak, and cause them to stop holding their breath for the shout". Maybe when they get hit they let loose a cute little damageless "weh!" or something. Their other moves can involve the first two members to start a sequence and the third man, "You", lands an attack on everyone if he times it right. Or maybe the others land an attack too and if you time it right with the last guy you land a bonus powered-up attack.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Ah Rhythm Heaven, such a fun and unique Nintendo franchise. It's certainly grown since Brawl's release, becoming a very popular franchise and even surpassing currently represented franchises such as Mother and Kid Icarus in game count. But has it done enough to warrant a character? Well three heroes have currently emerged, due to a certain leak. These three are...

WHO? THE CHORUS MEN? UGH, ANOTHER POINTLESS SUPPORT THREAD.
Oh, contraire. The Chorus Men are notable characters from Rhythm Heaven, starring in a minigame called Glee Club. Although it's simply one minigame among many, the Chorus Men and Glee Club have become recognizable through the web, spawning multiple parodies. The character Marshal in Rhythm Heaven Fever is said to be inspired by the cute little singers.

ALRIGHT, SO WHY DO THEY DESERVE TO BE IN SMASH BROS?
There are many reasons why these guys can warrant a slot among Nintendo's best. Rhythm Heaven is quite a popular franchise, so it's certainly not out of the question for the series to receive a character (in this case, characters). There are other characters that can fit this role (Karate Joe, Marshal, Wrestler), but The Chorus Men concept is quite intriguing. Using rhythm based attacks, the threesome can hit the opponents with killer high notes unlike anything we've ever seen or heard in Smash Bros thus far. Not to mention that the characters are somewhat memetic, and are recognizable and popular not by name, but by design.

SUPPORT

SUPPORT

SUPPORT

(TOGETHER NOW)

SUPPORT

OP UNDER CONSTRUCTION. CHECK BACK LATER FOR A SOMEWHAT COMPLETE VERSION.

THE CHOIR:
Louie G.
BluePikmin11
SuperBrawler
ThatWasPeachy
Gilius Thunderhead
andimidna
Wanderer from Roseyard
Swampasaur
Mega Bidoof
WVdUde
SuperLittleTY
ultimatekoopa
Glaciacott
Smashoperatingbuddy123
YoshiandToad
Young Horsetail
Cobalsh
Super Smash Bros. Fan​
Are u taking this from that rumor or leak before the Nintendo direct. Or.... your just thinking his gona be in.
he could. maybe he will replace Mr.Game and watch in my eyes.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Are u taking this from that rumor or leak before the Nintendo direct. Or.... your just thinking his gona be in.
he could. maybe he will replace Mr.Game and watch in my eyes.
Yeah, the idea is based off of the leak before the Direct.
I think G&W will stay for sure: There's enough room for both of them.

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Here's some ideas for Alt. costumes/ colors. I'm thinking the third guy of the group, the one you get to directly control in case of the character being a trio, gets a small detail on each costume to make him visually different. Like in default maybe he gets to be Marshal with the blushed cheeks and maybe theslightly altered headshape. Just an idea.

Green- Inspired by the frog guys. Maybe they can just wear the pants and the leader of the group, the third guy "You", can have frog eyes on a hat ala Mario's Frog Suit

Red- The Rhythm Heaven Fever wrestler guy. They wear mini bracelet thingies, pants, and boots. The third man gets the wrestler's mask. Or they can turn pink and "You" gets a ribbon and blush marks like Miss RIbbons maybe also a body and voice change too to sound and look more like a girl since it probaly won't change hitboxes.

Blue- They were the berets and maybe the lead man of the trio wears the drill sergeant's hat. Maybe they wear shirts featuring the speckle designs on the bird wings as well. Or they can just turn blue and Choir Man 3 gets the blushed cheeks and glasses like Cam but no head shape change or it might (will probaly) alter his hitbox.. Maybe the Cam costume gets a voicechange too but Idk since I've never played RH Fever and I don't even know if he has a voice. Also, that cute clap Cam and Miss Ribbons does needs to be in the moveset. Maybe as an A-tap or a taunt.

Yellow- Simple they turn yellow like DJ Yellow and "You" gets the futuristic headgear. No voice change since DJ Yellow wan't given a voice and it will ruin the consistency of the fighter.

Bonus #1 (Glee Club 2)- These costume will be Black with red-orange outlines. Maybe the guy you control will have hollow circle eyes the whole time and/or a sharp tooth sticking out the whole time or just be a recolor of the Marshal idea with a slightly different head and blushed cheeks.

Bonus#2 (golden boxart)- The guys' skin turn from white to gold like the colorscheme of the DS boxart and maybe they can get shirts and/or bowties with the diamond backgound from the OST cover below as a pattern. The lead fighter can repeat the Marshal idea or, as a joke, have the wacky-faced onion as his head...

Whew, that it! I worked hard thinking writing all this up and fetching the images! Please don't let this go to waste!
P.S. Sorry for taking up all this space.

Last edited:

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
I did these alts a while ago for Marshal.
Nice! Too bad the only one I can really recognize is the Crop Stomp overalls. :( The one with the 'do looks familiar too.
Edit: Wait, isn't the red one the wrestler?

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Nice! Too bad the only one I can really recognize is the Crop Stomp overalls. :( The one with the 'do looks familiar too.
Edit: Wait, isn't the red one the wrestler?
They're all characters from Fever except Crop Stomper because Fever had no applicable green characters.
Regular - Wrestler - Karate Joe
Crop Stomper - Batter (Exhibition Match) - Wandering Samurai

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
They're all characters from Fever except Crop Stomper because Fever had no applicable green characters.
Regular - Wrestler - Karate Joe
Crop Stomper - Batter (Exhibition Match) - Wandering Samurai
Nice, I'm still having trouble recofnizing Karate Joe's outfit though. I do't remember any versions of him with the blue stripes. Maybe if we're lucky Louie G. will put our costume ideas on the front page like the other character support threads.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Nice, I'm still having trouble recofnizing Karate Joe's outfit though. I do't remember any versions of him with the blue stripes. Maybe if we're lucky Louie G. will put our costume ideas on the front page like the other character support threads.
Will do ASAP.
Can't tonight, but I will get to it.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
It's supposed to be a belt, but I know what I can change to make it more obvious

Last edited:

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
It's supposed to be a belt, but I know what I can change to make it more obvious
Oh, I see now. I guess you coukd try to draw a little knot/ribbon but it would be hard to place that little detail on the small space o the belt. And Louie G., thanks and feel free to edit my post a little if you want!
And see ya guys tomorrow.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
If the Chorus Men really are in the game and are a character trio then they'd ought to be really interesting. Moveset-wise it should be them using attacks which reference the different minigames of the series. Gimmick-wise they could go in one of a few different ways.

They could work the way they do in Rhythm Heaven and have them perform actions one after another, like Ice Climbers but with a slightly longer pause. A third of a second maybe. And then make it so that the later attacks are stronger.
Or they could have it be where none of them are a leader and instead they focus on an average point between the three of them.
Or they could just make them tied and stuck to eachother and together they act as one character, with each one disappearing at higher percentages.

Of course I'm not sure if any of these concepts would work well in gameplay, but it's definitely something to think about.

D

Deleted member

An idea a friend of mine had.

....one of their attacks should be the Fus Ro Dah. :troll:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I didnt really want them even AFTER the leak, but when you said rhythm-based attacks, I was down. Sign me the heck up.

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
If the Chorus Men really are in the game and are a character trio then they'd ought to be really interesting. Moveset-wise it should be them using attacks which reference the different minigames of the series. Gimmick-wise they could go in one of a few different ways.

They could work the way they do in Rhythm Heaven and have them perform actions one after another, like Ice Climbers but with a slightly longer pause. A third of a second maybe. And then make it so that the later attacks are stronger.
Or they could have it be where none of them are a leader and instead they focus on an average point between the three of them.
Or they could just make them tied and stuck to eachother and together they act as one character, with each one disappearing at higher percentages.

Of course I'm not sure if any of these concepts would work well in gameplay, but it's definitely something to think about.
Sounds like a great concept. So then would the last one finally count as a KO and count as a score/life or how would that work?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Yes, before the leak, I didn't even want them. Yet alone, even know they had some sort of moniker. Just thought Rhythm Heaven was one of those franchises that would be represented without a playable character. Yet I was like this with Animal Crossing for some time, despite being one of my favorite franchises. The Villager does a great job fitting a limited set of tools across an entire series into a moveset.

I can't think of a character from any fighting game that has done a trio character before. Nintendo could certainly pioneer a concept like that if they incorporate something like the Chorus Men well. I totally expect them to innovate like this. If there's one thing that will be the basis for them is a playstyle centering around, well - rhythm. I can see them operating like a 3-man Ice Climbers with the "Popo" of the group being the one who's always out of since with the other two, setting up for mixups and combos. @Xenoblaze and @Wanderer from Roseyard both have thoughtful concepts on how they could work. Maybe we could build off of it.

The Chorus Men would be bunched together by having two of them next to each other while one stands in front of them. They could either operate as:

1) The man that is "You" is the one who is controllable while the other two are AI that follow you. The other two repeat each others attacks in a 1 > 2 order while the 3rd is off sync and can do another action or can repeat the same action as the other two for an amplified attack.
-1a) "You" would have to have a visual indicator to differentiate yourself from your fellow singers. Perhaps your facial features would resemble Marshal more or it you may just be Marshal altogether. Although that could be contrary to canon.
2) All three are controlled together. Attacks will be initiated by the first in the group, followed by a repeat by the second, and the third can follow up with another attack or repeating the same action as the other two for an amplified attack.

When considering how to design their playstyle, you should consider:

1) How the rhythm mechanic will work and what it will affect. Their standard attacks should be able to be held or dropped in order to chain into the next attack smoothly. Whatever rhythm you keep up between each man will have a certain duration to keep it up before going off pitch and reducing your power. Your rhythm also affects your specials, their properties, and how tricky they will become to pull off depending on your rhythm. If you wanted, you could have a score meter similar to Little Mac, except it raises and drops depending on the tempo of your attacks and how you follow your rhythm.
2) How attacks and counterplay from opponents will break the rhythm. Perhaps it will reset to a default rhythm if you can't maintain a certain rhythm after taking enough hits.
3) If the men can be desynced a la Popo and Nana and what this would do for managing them and their combo game. I imagine having three men running around could be hectic, especially considering how sensitive it is to how they work together. Maybe you could bring yourselves together through a special like Olimar's whistle.
4) Your neutral special and how it would bring something down to Kirby via copy ability. (Mass Attack just makes me adore his singing voice even more! <3)

Not going to support them straight away. But I certainly am intrigued by their potential. I am interested in making a moveset for them. I'll would be open to collaborating with others in designing it as well. Rhythm Heaven is a series I need to research, as I've never had one of the games in my hands ever. If we can't get a rep, the least I'd like is a Rhythm Remix stage. Now a rep would only make that more likely.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
I didnt really want them even AFTER the leak, but when you said rhythm-based attacks, I was down. Sign me the heck up.
Makes me wonder though. Would rhythm-based attacks be that practical? I mean considering how fast-paced and crazy the gameplay is. I love the idea but I'm not sure how would that work out. I can definitely see it for the Final Smash however.

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Makes me wonder though. Would rhythm-based attacks be that practical? I mean considering how fast-paced and crazy the gameplay is. I love the idea but I'm not sure how would that work out. I can definitely see it for the Final Smash however.
In all honestly, I'd rather they be an assist trophy. I don't think they'd be very practical to use, but they'd add a new, fresh playstyle. Albeit, we've been seeing a lot of those already, and we don't really NEED more..

Certain moves could be executed in several degrees depending on how you stick to the beat created by the sound of their attacks, and the more you stick to it, the more powerful the hit. If they were to make it extra-hard, they could find a way to sync up moves to the music of the stage?? (I know, it's crazy, but I'm just throwing crap ideas around) And opportune moments in the music could be attack strategies..?

Music metagame? idkwtf

It wouldn't work in tournaments bc you can't hear a dang thing.

Perhaps moves could be lined up by looking at the animations of the other choir boys..?

D

Deleted member

I wonder if their name would actually be "Chorus Men" considering SalRomano called Villager "Animal Crossing Guy"...
Yes, at least in Japan.

1:59
コーラスメン

koorasumen
Chorus Men

Outside Japan, they are the "Chorus Kids" instead.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think they should be a trio. That would be super fun...

Also, someone make some good sig icons...

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
Problem I have with the Chorus Kids is that they appear in only one Rhythm Heaven game, and even in that they appear in only two songs. They're not mascots, despite appearing on the box. They're just one among many nameless faces of the series. I'd be happy to see a Rhythm Heaven representative if they can make it work, but I think it should be a more neutral character like Marshal who can take elements from all the games and from a wide variety of the songs, like a Rhythm Heaven-based Mr. Game & Watch.

I also doubt the validity of the leaker. Some people are suggesting he mistook Marshal for the Chorus Kids (or 'men', as quoted by him). If he had been given information by somebody in development, I would expect that person to be able to name the characters accurately. If he had just seen a picture and wasn't that familiar with Rhythm Heaven then I could understand the confusion - but if he was seeing pictures, why wasn't he able to be specific about Greninja?

Last edited:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
I find it a bit sad that it took one whole "leak" for some actual support for RH characters to come around especially considering there was actually a couple threads featuring RH characters already but whatevs, more RH support is great. I support!

D

Deleted member

Problem I have with the Chorus Kids is that they appear in only one Rhythm Heaven game, and even in that they appear in only two songs. They're not mascots, despite appearing on the box.
Yet you are fine with Marshal, who only appears in one Rhythm Heaven game and only for the Rhythm Test and Credits; no special games of his own. He's not a mascot either; closest thing to one would be a Rhythm Monkey or the "Rhythm Girl" that makes cameos in each game of the franchise.
Seems rather biased to be against one character option for particular reasoning, but find another character option perfectly acceptable despite the same reasoning applying to them.

They're just one among many nameless faces of the series.
The thing is though, with the RH cast save some exceptions, it's the "A Dog Named Dog" trope.
It's not like say, Villager, who has no defined name and is just "the Villager" or the Ice Climbers, where Popo and Nana are given a nickname based on their game and what they do. Those monikers are their names. Simplistic and uncreative, but names all the same.

I'd be happy to see a Rhythm Heaven representative if they can make it work, but I think it should be a more neutral character like Marshal who can take elements from all the games and from a wide variety of the songs, like a Rhythm Heaven-based Mr. Game & Watch.
How is Marshal any more "neutral" than the Chorus Kids? Couldn't the same logic of "give him moves based off of the series as a whole" apply to them as well?

I also doubt the validity of the leaker. Some people are suggesting he mistook Marshal for the Chorus Kids (or 'men', as quoted by him).
"Some people" are deluded.
There is no possible way to mix up "Chorus Men" with Marshal. Especially since......

1:59
コーラスメン

koorasumen
Chorus Men

Outside Japan, they are the "Chorus Kids" instead.
It's like saying that he could have mistaken Ike for Chrom despite the two being clearly defined individuals.

If he had been given information by somebody in development, I would expect that person to be able to name the characters accurately.
Oop, X/Y Leaker listed "Panchum" instead of "Pancham", "Malimar" instead of "Malamar", "Meowstick" instead of "Meowstic", etc. among other oddities such as two Professors in Kalos, Chesnaught's and Greninja's secondary typings being reversed, "friendly rival" gives you the final form of their starter, Mewtwo's unreleased form looking more like Mew than the released one, etc.
One would think that if he had been given information by somebody in development or had seen it for himself, he should be expected to be completely accurate. :rolleyes:

If he had just seen a picture and wasn't that familiar with Rhythm Heaven then I could understand the confusion - but if he was seeing pictures, why wasn't he able to be specific about Greninja?
a. He could've not seen Greninja; could've just known there was to be an X/Y Pokemon and know no further than that.
b. Given how GameFreak is more anal about leaks than Nintendo, even if he knew about Greninja specifically, giving it away would put him in much greater jeopardy than he is now.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Yet you are fine with Marshal, who only appears in one Rhythm Heaven game and only for the Rhythm Test and Credits; no special games of his own. He's not a mascot either; closest thing to one would be a Rhythm Monkey or the "Rhythm Girl" that makes cameos in each game of the franchise.
Seems rather biased to be against one character option for particular reasoning, but find another character option perfectly acceptable despite the same reasoning applying to them.

How is Marshal any more "neutral" than the Chorus Kids? Couldn't the same logic of "give him moves based off of the series as a whole" apply to them as well?
I'm not exactly fine with Marshal, I was more or less thinking aloud. I didn't expect anyone to come along and deconstruct every sentence of my post. Yes, the same issue applies to Marshal, and Rhythm Girl, and effectively all other possible Rhythm Heaven reps. They're all extremely minor characters even within the context of their own series. But I do maintain that Marshal is a more neutral representative than the characters that appear directly in the songs. You absolutely could give the Chorus Kids moves based on the other minigames, but simply due to being those characters they would always first and foremost be representing Glee Club and Glee Club 2. Marshal is more general, he's not tied to any one minigame.

Oop, X/Y Leaker listed "Panchum" instead of "Pancham", "Malimar" instead of "Malamar", "Meowstick" instead of "Meowstic", etc. among other oddities such as two Professors in Kalos, Chesnaught's and Greninja's secondary typings being reversed, "friendly rival" gives you the final form of their starter, Mewtwo's unreleased form looking more like Mew than the released one, etc.
One would think that if he had been given information by somebody in development or had seen it for himself, he should be expected to be completely accurate. :rolleyes:
I'm not familiar with the X/Y leaks. How early did this sort of thing come about? At this point in SSB4's development cycle, the whole character roster and their names will have been decided on and finalized some time ago. I simply don't see where the vagueness would have come from if he was being informed by an insider, and even less so if he's an insider himself.

a. He could've not seen Greninja; could've just known there was to be an X/Y Pokemon and know no further than that.
b. Given how GameFreak is more anal about leaks than Nintendo, even if he knew about Greninja specifically, giving it away would put him in much greater jeopardy than he is now.
If he only knew there was going to be an X/Y character, why the specifics on everything else? Why didn't he say there was going to be "a Rhythm Heaven character" or "an Animal Crossing character"? It's strange to me that he would be indirect about a character like Greninja, but clear on characters like Villager or Wii Fit Trainer.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
It's always possible that while Rhythm Heaven is a franchise where Sakurai could have decided himself which character was best, with X and Y the decision was more in the hands of Gamefreak. You know, assuming the leak is true.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Yeah, if Rhythm Heaven does get a character then Sakurai probably looked at all possible candidates.

Last edited:
Top Bottom