• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chorus Kids for Smash Bros. DLC! ~ Lend your Song of Support in the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot! ~

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm confused. You would be disappointed if they were in instead of Wrestler (which I applaud since I'm in the same boat), but prefer Marshal over them because he doesn't have a simplistic name like most of the RH cast?
Does that mean you'd prefer Marshal over Wrestler?
No; I just believe that Marshal is VERY close to the Chorus Men, so in the specific instance, I would prefer the named entity. I prefer Wrestler over everyone that the series has to offer to be honest. Even if he doesn't have a name. That being said, if there was a Wrestler that looked almost exactly the same, but he was named Javier or something, I would prefer Javier.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well who says there has to be one? I mean Wario had a "weird" moveset (he farts ffs) and represents his series of microgames, why can't we have a rep for another popular microgame series?
No one says there has to be one. Wii Fit seems good enough to me, is all. Wario isn't a WTF character, he's from a Mario spin-off franchise and is very popular. Chorus Men would be WTF because of their design and how small their series is. Melee had G&W (A flat character, that is an amalgation of various Game and Watch games), Brawl had ROB (who was an accessory/toy and had 1 game), and SSB4 has Wii Fit Trainer (a creepy mannequinn from a series with 3 games). It's traditional to have one.

I'm not saying I'm against his inclusion. Just saying two WTF characters isn't the usual amount.

D

Deleted member

No; I just believe that Marshal is VERY close to the Chorus Men, so in the specific instance, I would prefer the named entity. I prefer Wrestler over everyone that the series has to offer to be honest. Even if he doesn't have a name. That being said, if there was a Wrestler that looked almost exactly the same, but he was named Javier or something, I would prefer Javier.
The thing is though, with the RH cast save some exceptions, it's the "A Dog Named Dog" trope.
It's not like say, Villager, who has no defined name and is just "the Villager" or the Ice Climbers, where Popo and Nana are given a nickname based on their game and what they do. Those monikers are their names. Simplistic and uncreative, but names all the same.

Like R.O.B. in Japan, who is known as "Robot".

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The thing is though, with the RH cast save some exceptions, it's the "A Dog Named Dog" trope.
It's not like say, Villager, who has no defined name and is just "the Villager" or the Ice Climbers, where Popo and Nana are given a nickname based on their game and what they do. Those monikers are their names. Simplistic and uncreative, but names all the same.

Like R.O.B. in Japan, who is known as "Robot".
Yeah, it's a robot.... although, couldn't they have come up with a better name? - Solid Snake, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 2008.

Pretty much what Golden said, but I'd still prefer about 90% of RH's characters over these guys.

Wrestler - Top pick.
Marshal - second.
Karate Joe - third
Everybody else but Chorus men, even the RH Girl I hate - 4th
Chorus Men - last

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
If I could hear them sing "Calling to the Night" with their goofy voices, I'll main them forever.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Unlike quite a few individuals that immediately get upset when a very unusual character is mentioned to be playable, I on the other hand would actually like to see this. Now I have never played a Rhythm Haven game but I knew of it and a few characters, mainly the wrestler. Anyways I think the would make a nice addition but something does confuse me about this. I know it's just a leak for now but has a high chance of being real but after hearing about the troubles Sakurai's team had with Ice Climbers (Duo) (though Rosalina (Duo) clearly proves those troubles were fixed) it seems near impossible that we would get a character that is really a Trio. I feel like Sal's source meant Marshal but of course we'll know soon enough.

Part of me hopes this is real yet part of me doesn't as a character I really want in hasn't been confirmed or deconfirmed yet, but this Chorus Men or Marshal will definitely be a character I'd try to main.

I would enjoy the trio as long as they weren't just "Ice Climbers except there's three of them."

In their game, you only control the third Chorus Man and you have to mimic the two others. I wonder if that can be adapted to Smash. You could have two AI Chorus Men that, unlike Nana, lead the fight instead of tagging along; and the Chorus Man you control will be extra strong if you can hit in their tempo. They make a beat, you maintain it; sounds simple, but I haven't a clue how practical that would actually be.

As far as the actual moves of the C-men (LOL), Sakurai would have to take some liberties, since they do nothing but stand around and scream.

Anyway, as much as I disbelieve the rumor, I still think they sound like intriguing fighters, so add me to the choir! (I'd be the one that messes up the rhythm and you'll all be peripheral-staring at me in disappointment.)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The idea of a Rhythm Heaven character is indeed growing on me.

I'd just rather have Marshall or the Wrestler.

Still, Chorus Men could be cool. I support!

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
I'm WVdUde and I approve this support thread. Waauhhh... Wauuuuhhh... Wauuuuhhhh... -All together now!-Wah!!!!

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
lol, so NOW there's support for Rhythm Heaven xD

I'd prefer the Monkey a million times more, but I guess whatever leads to Rhythm Heaven representation I'm ok with.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I support just because I want to see if sal is correct and might get a rythem heaven stage which is a music pattern have to follow by fighting

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
No one says there has to be one. Wii Fit seems good enough to me, is all. Wario isn't a WTF character, he's from a Mario spin-off franchise and is very popular. Chorus Men would be WTF because of their design and how small their series is. Melee had G&W (A flat character, that is an amalgation of various Game and Watch games), Brawl had ROB (who was an accessory/toy and had 1 game), and SSB4 has Wii Fit Trainer (a creepy mannequinn from a series with 3 games). It's traditional to have one.

I'm not saying I'm against his inclusion. Just saying two WTF characters isn't the usual amount.
Are they really a WTF character?

Are people's (read: a minority) ignorance to the series make them a WTF character? Rhythm Heaven is huge in Japan and popular enough in the West. Lil Mac is way worse in Japan, and that didn't stop him. Hell Shulk is more obscure out of the list, and I'd argue Chrom too.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
Apparently they're actually called "Chorus Kids" in English, so...

Anyway, this would certainly be a bit of a strange choice. But I could see their moveset being unique.

I dunno though, I'd hope they would add a bit of detail to their models, and give them some colour.

Like, they could have tuxedos, and they could add those blush circle things to their cheeks like Marshall has.

AquaDork1

Smash Apprentice
I hope by "Chorus Men" (/Chorus Kids) Sal meant Marshal, Miss Ribbon, and Cam. I really do. But that's just me.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Throw me in as a supporter!

Been a RH-fan since release of Rhythm Heaven DS itself and I don't think these characters are that outlandish as additions. Rhythm Heaven Fever was quite advertised around E3, so I'm sure most people would recognize Chorus Kids.

I still prefer Marshall as a stand-alone character though, but who knows, there's a lot that can be done with Chorus Kids (which I expect to have Marshall as a leader.)

I dig AquaDork's idea though, that'd be what I wish to see the "Chorus Kids" to turn out be. Or Marshall alone. But in anycase, RH-franchise getting in Smash would be neat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd rather the Chorus Kids/Men to be the actual Chorus Kids/Men, and not have Marshal and pals shoehorned in because "ermagherd Marshal looks liek one of 'um!".

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Are they really a WTF character?

Are people's (read: a minority) ignorance to the series make them a WTF character? Rhythm Heaven is huge in Japan and popular enough in the West. Lil Mac is way worse in Japan, and that didn't stop him. Hell Shulk is more obscure out of the list, and I'd argue Chrom too.
Chrom and Shulk aren't more obscure. Their games were huge. Bigger than Rhythm Heaven, for sure. (At least Awakening it).

It's their appearance that makes them a WTF character. Similar to G&W in that regard.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Chrom and Shulk aren't more obscure. Their games were huge. Bigger than Rhythm Heaven, for sure. (At least Awakening it).
Huh? In what way?

Rhythm Heaven DS sold a million in Japan alone. That's one game (granted it's the best selling one) in the series in one region, being one of the rare games to sell a million in Japan. Did Xenoblade and Awakening even break a million worldwide? I know it's a no to Xenoblade (interestingly enough if Shulk gets in he'll be the only character in the roster whose series didn't break a million), not sure on Awakening. Did we get a figure for Awakening? It's why I said "arguably" for Chrom, since I don't think we did.
That's not ignoring how Chorus Kids were heavily promoted during Rhythm Heaven DS's release.

I'd say the only place where they'd be hugely obscure is in Europe when the series didn't do well there.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Huh? In what way?

Rhythm Heaven DS sold a million in Japan alone. That's one game (granted it's the best selling one) in the series in one region. Did Xenoblade and Awakening even break a million worldwide? I know it's a no to Xenoblade (interestingly enough if Shulk gets in he'll be the only character in the roster whose series didn't break a million), not sure on Awakening. Did we get a figure for Awakening? It's why I said "arguably" for Chrom, since I don't think we did.
That's not ignoring how Chorus Kids were heavily promoted during Rhythm Heaven DS's release.

I'd say the only place where they'd be hugely obscure is in Europe when the series didn't do well there.
I guess I don't know, honestly. I thought Awakening had sold really well because it supposedly saved the franchise. But it may have only barely broken one million. Xenoblade I have no idea on, but I've heard of Shulk before so I was basing it on that. I didn't look up sales figures for these games, but I just assumed it wasn't a big series due to having only 3 games. I think Chrom (coming from a series with many more games) is bigger for that reason.

But, okay, Rhythm Heaven is larger franchise than I was aware of. I still think that the "Chorus Men" are WTF character choice in regards to their looks and name. I think it is similar to Mr. Game and Watch (who is not a real character, but an amalgamation various Game and Watch games); these "Chorus Men" seem similar in that regard. Generic characters which could draw from all Rhythm Heaven games. The "chorus Men" are also, essentially, all white similar to G&W who is all black. Had the choice been Marshal or Wrestler I would find a lot less weird.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I won't mind them but I believe that the leaker may have mistaken Marshal for these guys. (He also never specified which X and Y pokemon we'd get so it's entirely possible. I don't believe the leak but you get what i mean hopefully.)

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I'm sorry I can't support them :(

When I googled "Chorus Men" the other day the first thing that came up was the uniqueness tier list thread......

The Chorus Men just aren't quite there yet haha

Nice thread though Louie!

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Did you really want the Chorus Men in Smash BEFORE you heard about the leak?
Can you say you didn't want Chorys Men before the leak? No? Then get out of here.

I support, btw, not even for the Sal Romano Leak, but mostly because of the memes.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
But, okay, Rhythm Heaven is larger franchise than I was aware of. I still think that the "Chorus Men" are WTF character choice in regards to their looks and name. I think it is similar to Mr. Game and Watch (who is not a real character, but an amalgamation various Game and Watch games); these "Chorus Men" seem similar in that regard. Generic characters which could draw from all Rhythm Heaven games. The "chorus Men" are also, essentially, all white similar to G&W who is all black. Had the choice been Marshal or Wrestler I would find a lot less weird.
Marshal is even more all-white and Wrestler is even less important to the series.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, I would expect the special attacks to references different types of sound. Like a special attack called "Cacophony" where the Chorus Kids create an ear slicing screech that not only inflicts damage but also instantly breaks shields and has a large push, a projectile where the Chorus Kids release a note that can be adjusted vertically called the "Pitch Scale". Maybe incorporate the power up idea I had for combos, adding more strategy.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
When I googled "Chorus Men" the other day the first thing that came up was the uniqueness tier list thread......
All I got is Rhythm Heaven related stuff.

Chorus Men had some results about the rumor, but Chorus Kids was all Rhythm Heaven.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Funny thing is, searching Rhythm Heaven on Google results in pictures of the Chorus Men as the top results.
The next ones after a few pics of the Chorus Men are the Dazzles for some reason.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Funny thing is, searching Rhythm Heaven on Google results in pictures of the Chorus Men as the top results.
The next ones after a few pics of the Chorus Men are the Dazzles for some reason.
Probably because of the DS game's popularity and the Chorus Kid's exposure from ads, being on the box, and being the second minigame encountered.

D

Deleted member

Salromano did get a few name wrong; Animal Crossing Guy instead of Villager and Wii Fitness Trainer instead of Wii Fit Trainer.

I wonder if the case with Chorus Men is another case like this? Perhaps the name is wrong and the character is actually Marshal? Just a food for thought.

Also, add me to the supporter list so that I can say I liked the idea before it was cool (AKA after he's officially confirmed).

Top Bottom