• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

Rakath

Smash Ace
... can someone give me a little history on this poll and the requirements for your email to count as a vote?
Way Way WAY WAY back when, around when the E3 vid showed up reveiling Snake, part of the old Brawl site included a way to send email suggestions. Items, Stages, Characters, First Party, Second Party, Third Party. The only rule being they had to of been on a Nintendo Console at some point to be looked at, and that you had to be as detailed as possible for it to really be looked into. This doesn't mean that saying "GENO GENO GENO GENO" would be outright ignored, but that people saying "Geno should be in, with this moveset..." would be listened to a bit more.

After this opened Sakurai was keeping people up to date when he read an idea that interested him, thus this list came to be. However the poll was eventually closed and no more emails would be considered. At least, this is how I recall it, it was a while ago and had to all be translated to English fer folks like me who don't read other languages too well.

This list is a reposting of Sakurai's original list, its probably not as up to date as his last update (even if it is, it has been circling a while). The Character that 'won' (most suggestions listened to) was Sonic. Again, this is all built on how well I remember things a few years back.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
That is intresting, thanks for answering but how come the amount of qualified votes are so low? Im pretty sure more than 4 people properly begged for Krystal or anyone else

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
i would have to say there are a few possibilities you left out

Zant (The Legend of Zelda)
Shadow (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)

and did you say Bowser Jr.?

Zant and Shadow BOTH have a really good chance because they're somewhat new, could both have a moveset that's easy to come up with, and have a lot of backstory.

Like a cool idea for Subspace would be Zant trying to get revenge on Ganondorf for taking over the Twilight Realm.

Or Shadow may think taking over the Supsace Emmisary or defeating Master Hand is what he was created for. Think about it. Shadow would make a great character because there are several reasons Shadow himself would want to join a competition like this. 1. to do what he was created for-- destroy Sonic. 2. Take over the world completely. 3. Look for Chaos Emeralds in Supspace. And the list goes on.

626key

Smash Journeyman
i would have to say there are a few possibilities you left out

Zant (The Legend of Zelda)
Shadow (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)

and did you say Bowser Jr.?

Zant and Shadow BOTH have a really good chance because they're somewhat new, could both have a moveset that's easy to come up with, and have a lot of backstory.

Like a cool idea for Subspace would be Zant trying to get revenge on Ganondorf for taking over the Twilight Realm.

Or Shadow may think taking over the Supsace Emmisary or defeating Master Hand is what he was created for. Think about it. Shadow would make a great character because there are several reasons Shadow himself would want to join a competition like this. 1. to do what he was created for-- destroy Sonic. 2. Take over the world completely. 3. Look for Chaos Emeralds in Supspace. And the list goes on.
Not to be rude, but I think that Midna has more chance than Zant
Ganandorf and Zant just don't seam to flow together in combat

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
If Mega Man doesn't make it, I'll be pretty hurt. He deserves to be in Brawl.
Well according to Wiifanboy, a guy from Capcom that has to do with megaman (I know it sounds vague but I posted the link and everything else before so yeah) said he would love to add Megaman to the game but he just wasnt contacted about it so his chances are slim to none, however this interview took place about 2 months ago (If I remember correctly =( )

626key

Smash Journeyman
Well according to Wiifanboy, a guy from Capcom that has to do with megaman (I know it sounds vague but I posted the link and everything else before so yeah) said he would love to add Megaman to the game but he just wasnt contacted about it so his chances are slim to none, however this interview took place about 2 months ago (If I remember correctly =( )
Yah, one of capcom's owner's said that sakuri hadn't contacted them

Teeb147

Smash Legend
if megaman was in, he'd been announced by now. 3rd parties that are popular would definitly be announced beforehand.. Unless it's Geno, I think he'll be kept secret :)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What about Sora or Knuckles or Pac Man
I highly doupt any of those will make it in, but .. Sora would be announced beforehand for sure.. the others don't really need to.. But I'm just using my reasoning here, I might be wrong.

I predict that there's 1 or 2 other 3rd party characters, 1 being Geno which will be kept secret and the other will be some one who's not as popular as megaman but will be enjoyed.

It's too late for Megaman by now Im afraid

NessFan2

Smash Cadet
Sora has no chance. Ok, low chance. I doubt Nintendo would get that close with Disney material (if I'm correct, he is only in Kingdom Herarts series)

Knux might make it in as an AT. Maybe. but Tails already has that role. I hope.

Pac Man... hm... Maybe. Possibly. Chance. Low Chance. 10%. None. :( No offense, but he's not... Smash Material. I think. Just stating my opinion.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sora has no chance. Ok, low chance. I doubt Nintendo would get that close with Disney material (if I'm correct, he is only in Kingdom Herarts series)

Knux might make it in as an AT. Maybe. but Tails already has that role. I hope.

Pac Man... hm... Maybe. Possibly. Chance. Low Chance. 10%. None. :( No offense, but he's not... Smash Material. I think. Just stating my opinion.

Then again, Olimar and Mr. Game and Watch arent really smash material but they made em work somehow :S

626key

Smash Journeyman
I highly doupt any of those will make it in, but .. Sora would be announced beforehand for sure.. the others don't really need to.. But I'm just using my reasoning here, I might be wrong.

I predict that there's 1 or 2 other 3rd party characters, 1 being Geno which will be kept secret and the other will be some one who's not as popular as megaman but will be enjoyed.

It's too late for Megaman by now Im afraid
Sakuri want's to keep some secrecy, the only reason sonic was anounced was because of the delay

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sakuri want's to keep some secrecy, the only reason sonic was anounced was because of the delay
They may be Nintendo, but they still want profits and popularity,..
Anticipation and speculation happens alot more before a game is release. Revealing a popular character before it's released will improve its sales ten fold because it brings a whole fanbase into it.. it's common sense

A big one like megaman would definitly be announced beforehand.. and cannot remain hidden. It's a bit late but he might be revealed at the end of next week or the week after that.. but it's a small chance.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
sneaks, rakath:

this list is the original and is complete. we made it and updated it daily. the list ends at kumatora.

we only concerned ourselves with characters, not with music or stages.

the list at the bottom is how many times sakurai shared suggestions relating to a given character. so overall, he shared 5 different emails concerning dedede.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Okay, thanks for clearing that all up, my memory ain't what it was.

I wish I could read what the Mia idea was (One track mind)...

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
It make sense that 3rd party characters are annouced earlier than later because of the reason stated by the poster but characters such as Pac Man wont bring in any new fan base, there really arent that many people who weren't willing to pick up this game untill they found out "OH MY PacMan is in! Must buy now"

However characters such as Megaman .... well Im pretty sure that bring a whole lot of attention to this game, if Sonic and Snake haven't already -_-

P.S my board name is spelt with a z at the end, I know its kind of picky but to me Sneaks and Sneakz are TOTALLY different

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
It make sense that 3rd party characters are annouced earlier than later because of the reason stated by the poster but characters such as Pac Man wont bring in any new fan base, there really arent that many people who weren't willing to pick up this game untill they found out "OH MY PacMan is in! Must buy now"

However characters such as Megaman .... well Im pretty sure that bring a whole lot of attention to this game, if Sonic and Snake haven't already -_-

P.S my board name is spelt with a z at the end, I know its kind of picky but to me Sneaks and Sneakz are TOTALLY different
Indeed. Unless they decide that they are confident Brawl will get millions of sales already (which it will) and will keep another 3rd party as a secret character, so when people unlock them they will go crazy, spread the news everywhere, and then more people will want to buy the game who haven't already. That's another one of my guesses. xD

susu_atari

Smash Ace
sneaks, rakath:

this list is the original and is complete. we made it and updated it daily. the list ends at kumatora.

we only concerned ourselves with characters, not with music or stages.

the list at the bottom is how many times sakurai shared suggestions relating to a given character. so overall, he shared 5 different emails concerning dedede.
I was never entirely sure how this poll worked. So, did Sakurai reply to emails about certain characters?

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
The more time goes on the more I think Geno is in. Just a LOT of personal feelings mixed with hope and a bit of info.

Personal Feelings - SMRPG is my 2nd favorite game ever (after SSBM)
Hope - AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT
Info - Ranked high on Sakurai's polls, from which I can assume Sakurai and his staff at VERY least CONSIDERED Geno to appear in the game. Retro Characters are all the rage. And, finally, 1-2 more 3rd party characters after Snake, Sonic = In. So 0-1 more, and none more deserving (in my mind atleast plz dont say loool n0 t3h megamanz!, I said IMO so lay off)in my mind than Geno.

Things are looking pretty good right now.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
I was never entirely sure how this poll worked. So, did Sakurai reply to emails about certain characters?
he didn't reply to many emails. if memory serves, he personally commented on either one a day, or one a week. i forget which.

otherwise he just posted the ones that caught his eye.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
it's a thread for discussing characters on the poll right? Geno is on the poll. So, on topic = lay off. lol.

anyways...@ Ghost Anime,
from the first page
"the characters who were recommended multiple times are:

King Dedede(5) - CONFIRMED!
Diddy Kong(4) - CONFIRMED!
Geno(4)"

it shows that Sakurai at very least, acknowledge(d/s) geno's existence at some point in some, and knowing his popularity I'm sure he atleast considered him.

626key

Smash Journeyman
I know this is off topic, but are there more than one ATs per series, because if there are I can think of two who might make it as a kirby AT, Gooey, kirby's sidekick in kirby 3 and Rick, A riding guy from kirby 3
P.S. I came up with a thread for fun, check it out if you have the time http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=136913

StudyPunkRockism

Smash Rookie
I really wanted to see Marina from Mischief Makers in Brawl, either as a PC or AT. The game is made by Nintendo, after all.

Top Bottom