• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno!!

i want him in brawl....
I can feel it, Geno will be confirmed playable very soon!

Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno!!
spamming much?

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
I really dont want krystal in mostly because If she's in the chance of Wolf making it are next to 0 .... Wolf is the original Baddie (next to Andross) for Fox, and I always that it was cool when you fought him in the 64 game, still think he deserves to show his face one way or another.

5 bucks says those other guys will probably totaly ignore those GENO posts also and act like they never existed will continuing to claim that McFox is the only one

Geno4Brawl

Smash Rookie
I'm surprised Lupus was on the list! Jet Force Gemini is one of my favorite video games! I have a question. Does Nintendo have the rights to Jet Force Gemini characters?

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Kind of weird but were only about 2weeks away from finding out who REALLY made the cut. Those peeps with the modded Wii's will probably get the *** version earlier than the actual *** Release and start spamming Character Lists all over the web, I dont know If I wanna spoil the surprise of finding out myself or go ahead and suffer knowing everything weeks before I get the game in my hand ... tough decision but Im thinking im going the patient route meaning Im gonna be avoiding everything untill Feb 10th... but my ******* friend who has his Wii modded will probably start coming up to me in class and yelling random character names that are in the game.

Earthbenderjump5

Smash Journeyman
wth?
rayman was not on that list?
geze?
does japan not like him or something?
:/ poor ray.
im sure he'll be in though.
suraki (i can never spell his name right)is not an idiot.
im sure ubisoft will hate him, or be mad since i know they requested him and others right? but they don't much others to request.

KrystalRules

Smash Lord
these votes mean nothing. look at Lucas...1 vote? and they arent even votes...they are mentions of the characters. i would like to hope they meant characters got it because Krystal would be in indeffinately. but it doesnt...

Rakath

Smash Ace
these votes mean nothing. look at Lucas...1 vote? and they arent even votes...they are mentions of the characters. i would like to hope they meant characters got it because Krystal would be in indeffinately. but it doesnt...
Lucas had 2 votes, and he's just Ness with cooler hair. If he wasn't robbing Ness of his spot, he'd not be an easy pick.

Ike, Dedede, and Diddy have 4+ votes and all got in, there are 2 more 4+ votes that are easy ins. Of the 3+ votes, one is for an underrepped series, the other is a BA Samurai, and then there's Cel Shaded Link (who like Lucas, would be stealing a Vet's spot).

Krystal, Ridley, and Geno are fairly safe bets, not a life risking bet safe, but a 10 buck safe.

Rakath

Smash Ace
It means you're still in the game if you have other merits. The list is just 'suggestions of the character detailed enough they caught Sakurai's interest'. The 'votes' were suggestions sent to Brawl team by Japanese fans way back when. 5 for Dedede means that 5 people made very interesting moveset suggestions for him.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Wow even if Geno gets it or not he will forever associated with Brawl.

Geno is barely known in the gaming world, really his presence is next to nothing
Im not no Japanese so I cant say for certain that he doesn't have a presence there either, but ***'s only like franchise games, Geno doesn't have a single game.
I repeat from my previous post GENO WAS ONLY IN ONE GAME AND HE WAS A SECONDARY CHARACTER. He even isn't a Nintendo character! YOU KNOW what that means?!?! they need permission and according to Mr.Sakuria's Journal he's only putting in 2-3 3rd Parties. WE ALREADY HAVE 2 WHY THE HELL WOULD GENO BE PICKED FOR the ify 3rd spot?!?!?

The only reason why Geno can ever make it even as little as trophy is cause of this poll...this occward poll showing that 4 people in Japan care about him enough to ask for him in Brawl, this really astounds, wth did Geno ever do to even be important? Alot people haven't even played this game, I was probably an Infant when this game came out, I didn't know nothing about games back then and only played what my Dad bought for me. How can you guys say that he was a such great character and he somehow influenced your lives at such a young age (Im assuming your around 16) If you were like 5-6 or something? ... but 4 w/e reason Geno did this to these 4 Japanese People and because of that he might show his face as a trophy

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Wow even if Geno gets it or not he will forever associated with Brawl.

Geno is barely known in the gaming world, really his presence is next to nothing
Im not no Japanese so I cant say for certain that he doesn't have a presence there either, but ***'s only like franchise games, Geno doesn't have a single game.
I repeat from my previous post GENO WAS ONLY IN ONE GAME AND HE WAS A SECONDARY CHARACTER. He even isn't a Nintendo character! YOU KNOW what that means?!?! they need permission and according to Mr.Sakuria's Journal he's only putting in 2-3 3rd Parties. WE ALREADY HAVE 2 WHY THE HELL WOULD GENO BE PICKED FOR the ify 3rd spot?!?!?

The only reason why Geno can ever make it even as little as trophy is cause of this poll...this occward poll showing that 4 people in Japan care about him enough to ask for him in Brawl, this really astounds, wth did Geno ever do to even be important? Alot people haven't even played this game, I was probably an Infant when this game came out, I didn't know nothing about games back then and only played what my Dad bought for me. How can you guys say that he was a such great character and he somehow influenced your lives at such a young age (Im assuming your around 16) If you were like 5-6 or something? ... but 4 w/e reason Geno did this to these 4 Japanese People and because of that he might show his face as a trophy

Your ignorance astounds me. :dizzy:

Truth be told, I honestly thought Geno was an unknown character in the gaming world, but having been to a few Smash forums, I have seen mention of him almost everywhere. I would say his fanbase is a decent one. You know who else was in one game? Ice Climbers. You know who else was only a secondary character? Falco. Also technically he is a Nintendo character, but that is a complicated discussion altogether. To say it bluntly, it would be really really easy for him to get in Brawl since he has already been used in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.

What did Geno do important? He was part of game where Nintendo worked together with a 3rd party for the first time. He was in the first Mario RPG game. If that's not important I don't know what is. Also SMRPG sold around 2 million copies, not only that but it is the number one SNES rom game being downloaded off emulators, so I would say a bunch people must know of his existence by know.

Who we say is important and deserving is our opinion, Sakurai and his team are the ones who ultimately make that decision. And imo, Geno is deserving of that 3rd party spot, as well as the Maio spot. :cool:

Rakath

Smash Ace
Sneakz: Four people made INTERESTING suggestions for him. This does not delve into the possible hundreds that just said something along the lines of "Geno" 8 billion times in a message.

Geno isn't my top choice either, but he's highly likely.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Call me what you want but you still dont prove any of my points wrong.

1- Ice Climbers may have only had 1 and half (Its an Iffy topic so I called it Half) but either way there the star of there game, Geno isn't.

2- Your trying to compare Falco to Geno?!?! wow ok lets break this down
- Falco appeared in Melee to further expand Fox's series just like Peach and Zelda appered to expand there respective series, Geno isn't expanding anything, ... He really doesn't fit in the Mario Series he's n ****in puppet
- Falco is a co-star in how many games? 4 how much Geno star in? 1 ....
- Finally Falco IS KNOWK outside of message boards, I can talk to anyone who owned a Nintendo system ask them who Falco is and they'll answer, you cant do the same for Geno.

3- Where do you get this idea he has a good Fanbase? Sure I may have as much as proff as you do on this subject but a lack proff of his existance is kind of good thing for my argument isn't it?

4- That was nothing more than a Cameo, however it does help Geno I dont know how much but it does, thats why I wouldn't be surprised to see him as TROPHY nothing more

5- It sold 1.5 million, and games like Nitendo Golf, Soccer and Kung Fu sold more or just as much that game and do you see anyone remebering those games? Either way thats still flawed because they didn't buy the game to play as Geno Im sure, no way that game would have sold as much if it were called Super GENO RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Also suddenly you know what gets download most and all rom sites around the net? Theres no proff and your statement so until you get some statistics LIES

6- Geno is owned by Square Enix it clearly said it and the END credits of the game, this goes back to my other point from the post you quoted.

7- Cant argue with your last points logic

(Edited cause I was typing while Rakath posted)

I mentioned that I dont know whats going on down there in Japan but my money is on they dont care for him much and the only people that care for him are on those Japanese Message boards, and who would probably send the most email's concerning a game? hmm im not sure its the mainstream gamer

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Call me what you want but you still dont prove any of my points wrong.

1- Ice Climbers may have only had 1 and half (Its an Iffy topic so I called it Half) but either way there the star of there game, Geno isn't.

2- Your trying to compare Falco to Geno?!?! wow ok lets break this down
- Falco appeared in Melee to further expand Fox's series just like Peach and Zelda appered to expand there respective series, Geno isn't expanding anything, ... He really doesn't fit in the Mario Series he's n ****in puppet
- Falco is a co-star in how many games? 4 how much Geno star in? 1 ....
- Finally Falco IS KNOWK outside of message boards, I can talk to anyone who owned a Nintendo system ask them who Falco is and they'll answer, you cant do the same for Geno.

3- Where do you get this idea he has a good Fanbase? Sure I may have as much as proff as you do on this subject but a lack proff of his existance is kind of good thing for my argument isn't it?

4- That was nothing more than a Cameo, however it does help Geno I dont know how much but it does, thats why I wouldn't to see him as TROPHY nothing more

5- It sold 1.5 million, and games like Nitendo Golf, Soccer and Kung Fu sold more or just as much that game and do you see anyone remebering those games? Either way thats still flawed because they didn't buy the game to play as Geno Im sure, no way that game would have sold as much if it were called Super GENO RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

6- Geno is owned by Square Enix it clearly said it and the END credits of the game, this goes back to my other point from the post you quoted.

7- Cant argue with your last points logic

(Edited cause I was typing while Rakath posted)

I mentioned that I dont know whats going on down there in Japan but my money is on they dont care for him much and the only people that care for him are on those Japanese Message boards, and who would probably send the most email's concerning a game? hmm im not sure its the mainstream gamer
1. *sigh* I hate when people say this. Ok so you say one character can't get in because he was in one game, but another can because he was the star? Well that makes sense, but techniacally Geno was the star of Super Mario RPG.

2. I can't argue that Geno's importance to the Mario series isn't as important as Falcos. But my argument here is that you say Geno can't get in because he doesn't have his own game and because he is a supporting character. Which Falco happens to be in those terms. I might also add, what does it matter how many appearances a character has made? I direct you attention to Waluigi who has starred in many more Mario games than Geno has, yet he ended up as an AT. I've said this before, Character's Role In Games > Character's # of appearances in games.

3. Like I said, I wouldn't know how big his fanbase, but I'm pretty sure he has a decent one because I've seen mention on him on virtually everybody smash bros forum I've been on.

4. I really think you're underestimating his chances. Sakurai wouldn't go through the trouble just to add him as a Trophy or anything less. I can assure you, he will be in as a PC or not in at all.

5, The only reason the game sold low was because it was overlooked by the PSone's release. This is no different than what happened to Shenmue and Sega when the PS2 was released. Just because it didn't sell much doesn't mean it wasn't a popular or good game.

6. Yes this is true, but the people who created him are now part of AlphaDream (creators of Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga), it is for this reason why it wouldn't be hard for Geno to be in Super Smash.

Regarding his fanbase, I can assure he must have a good one if his character suggestion got through the most 4 times. Not only that but he was mentioned 5 times in Sakurai's journal and is Sakurai himself is interested in him. Thus, realistcly, putting his chances higher than any 3rd party/Mario character at this point.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
1- I know the back story of SMRPG (tired of typing in full -_-) I can understand why you beleieve that he is the star, however the game's universe may revolve around this star spirt but the game follows Mario's adventures in the world, so therefore he is the star.

2- I really dont know what goes on in Mr.Sakurai's head, but I can guess this the amount of appearances a characters does play some sort of roll and the fact that Waluigi appeared in so many games but became an AT should actually put Geno more at risk since he only ever came in one but you some are trying to use it to your advantage which is kind confusing me.

3- I know you've seen him on Smash boards, Ive seen him on MANY boards but my point is you only EVER see him on boards, which is not real popularity to me, unless this game only caters to the hardcore game which it wont.

4- I dont think Im underestamting, I really think Im just being realistic, He's a puppet that co-stared in one game and is owned by Square Enix. That right there isn't the making of a Newcomer to Brawl. The only thing that throws everything of is the god**** poll.

5- I was nothing but a child back then the only thing I can do is look up statistics on that era but Im to lazy to say ill leave it at that.

6- Come on dude, the people dont mean nothing, these corporations are now there own entity, Square Enix owns Geno not the people who work at Square Enix, get me? Kind cool though thinking about it, the NAME Square Enix has rights to that Character.... thats cool.

7- (Im gonna call it 7) Im sure he has a type of fanbase, just not a good one thats all im saying, and this poll is very confusing to me. However Id like to remind you that people who email Mr.S are people just like as , gamers. As you can tell a bunch of us love Geno, id pretty sure if he asked us this poll would have Geno also on the top of the list it doesn't mean this country as a whole wants Geno the most. (It would be Master Cheif I bet =) )

(Wont be responding today so take your time for the next post)

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
1. It's a funny thing about most RPG games. They really have no actual "stars" since each character does their part. In Mario RPG however the story does revolve about one character, which is Geno. Not to say Mario's part isn't important, is just that Geno's role could be argued to be bigger and important than Mario's.

2. My argument here is that a character's role in a game is more important than the number of appearance's he has made in a game. Waluigi was turned into an AT because his role in games have always been being a "filler" character in the Mario Party and Sports games. Geno on the other hand had a more important role in his game and would honestly make a better addition than Waluigi, imo of course.

3. How does that not make him popular? If he truly weren't popular at all then there'd be no mention of him at all around the boards, be it good or bad.

4. The fact that Geno made a Cameo in a game not long ago, shows that his creators have not forgotten about him and he is not exactly "dead". You keep talking as if a puppet being in smash isn't realistic, yet a Plumber, Hedgehog, electric mouse is? Sometimes popularity alone can get a character in smash as shown with Jigglypuff. And again, who you think is "deserving" is your opinion. I hope you're not one of those people who state it as fact, because I could go as far as to argue why a Goomba should be a PC in Brawl.

5. Ok then I understand that, but that was to prove my point.

6. Again this might be true, yet Geno was used in M&L Superstar Saga without even the consent of Square Enix. Geno's actual party status could be known as 2.5, since his real purpose was to appear in a Mario game. It really wouldn't cost a lot to use Geno.

7. That may be true, but if that were the case, Geno wouldn't have gotten a lot of votes (suggestions actually). I used to think about it that way, but I really have a hard time believing Geno was lucky enough to get 4 suggestions through while characters like Megaman and Sora got only 1 or 2. It is for this reason why I believe Geno's fanbase in Japan and here in the States is a big, if not, decent one.

That's all I'm going to say about that, any other discussions you have take it to the Geno thread. I'm done for now.

626key

Smash Journeyman
If you ask me mario, metroid, star fox, and zelda need at least one more fighter (besides luigi) and pokemon and classic fighters need at least 2

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
Starfox needs Krystal
yes please, the one elusive dojo update that I've been waiting for this whole time.

I'm still optimistic. If the poll is heavily influencing the character roster as the current trend has suggested, Krystal, along with Ridley will be next.

Geno did get 4 votes too, like Ridley, but if you think about it, his inclusion isn't solely in Sakurai's hands. Ridley, Krystal, and the newly confirmed Olimar, as characters that Nintendo owns, are characters Sakurai freely has at his disposal, and can add in unhindered.

Geno, on the other hand, is dependent upon if Nintendo was able to come to an agreement with Square-Enix. So that's the question you Geno fans have to ask yourselves: how confident are you that the legal guys at Nintendo sealed the deal?

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Truth be told, I'm a lot more confident now. Olimar's confirmation not only ups Geno's chances as well as Ridley's and the others. His party status really isn't as big as most people believe, Geno was already used in M&L Superstar Saga showing that SE could care less about Geno. I don't think Nintendo would go through too much trouble getting Geno for Brawl.

Now talking in speculation, I recall back then a rumor that Sonic and Snake were originally meant to be in Melee but weren't due to time constraints and adding them would've caused Melee to be delayed. Now in this case Brawl WAS delayed, not only that but SMRPG was delayed on the VC as well. Coincidence? Maybe. When you also consider a rumor that an SMRPG sequel is being made for the DS, you can't help but feel like Geno is definitely going to be in Smash. Just a thought :coo:.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Rick88: That is true about Snake, not sure about Sonic.

On the older Brawl site (before daily updates) the story behind Snake was up in full, that the only reason Snake wasn't in Melee was because Sakurai was asked way too late in the project to add another character. There is no story of Sonic in Melee but the Cruel Melee rumor (which was totally and entirely false).

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Greatest Update since Sonic, Cap Olimar only atacks when towing Pikiman, what an intrestin character. Now all I need is Ray 01 and Im set 4 lyfe (Lucario and K Rool wouldn hurt to)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I love this because it basically puts all the other top-voted characters in the bag :chuckle:

So two things:

1. When I commented on Gamefaqs that now we should expect Geno, Ridley, etc. because of Olimar, it was shot down because "LOL @ THE POLL AND YOU ARE TALKING TOO SMART." Why do I keep going there...

2. Olimar is going to be super-weak I bet, and basically have the "Popo Effect." Without his Pikmin he becomes absolutely useless with short-range weak attacks and hardly any way to recover. So his way to pluck Pikmin should hopefully be fast, or at least let him start with Pikmin. I can see him being very good at FFAs but terrible at 1v1s.

iZack

Smash Rookie
<3 isaac (clearly) if someone doesn't want him (or anyone from GS) in brawl, it's cause they haven't played golden sun :p

Top Bottom