• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Valhalla Game Studios owns the Devil's Third IP making Ivan a third-party character. Like Rayman and Commander Video Ivan will only be a trophy if he's lucky.
I do not think Ivan could be considered third-party character, in the sense that the Nintento is the publisher.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Playing Bananaya's advocate again, torture attacks involving blades could be done since we have actual blades and drills pierced in Smasher's backs too.

It just doesn't look gross or violent since it's the enviroment of Smash.

Troykv

Smash Master
Most of my favourite Fire Emblem characters in Smash are female or have female forms:

Lucina
Robin
Tiki
Anna
Lyn
Kamui
Aqua
I think is too soon to have Kamui or Aqua as a favorite character xD

My favorite characters are Minor ones, but I really want characters like Micaiah, Tiki or Anna xDU

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Listen here if you're a Banjo-Kazooie Fan.
Your local Burruni has the plan.
While their DLC chances are frankly thin,
There's a surefire way to win.
Sure we wait for the Smash Bros. 5
And with this duo, our reborn duo shall be alive!

(This is the official duo for the Banjo-Kazooie Successor, Yooka & Layle)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Well what do you know, we should be voting for a Banjo Kazooie clone in the Snash Ballot. Great idea guys, great idea. :troll:

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
Wait all this talk about realistic looking guns, does that mean that characters such as Sami from Advance Wars or the Grunt from Battalion Wars would be out of luck for getting in as dlc (which won't happen) or into the next game. Or can they work around that stuff?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Where can I find the debate?
Was this about Banjo and Kazooie and Chronobound in the leaks group?
No, it was more about how Bayonetta's guns wouldn't be too much for the Smash audience and this occurred some time after the first Bayonetta 2 teaser. This was probably in the older Super Smash Bros. 4 Social group when things always had to be about Smash instead of the craziness that happens nowadays.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
No, it was more about how Bayonetta's guns wouldn't be too much for the Smash audience and this occurred some time after the first Bayonetta 2 teaser. This was probably in the older Super Smash Bros. 4 Social group when things always had to be about Smash instead of the craziness that happens nowadays.
Do you know the link to the group? Now I'm pretty curious.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Someone in another thread brought up a good point: depending on the complexity of making the character, some characters may be more expensive than others.

With that In mind, out of all the possible DLC characters, who do you think would be the most expensive?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Someone in another thread brought up a good point: depending on the complexity of making the character, some characters may be more expensive than others.

With that In mind, out of all the possible DLC characters, who do you think would be the most expensive?
This never really happens. Character DLC prices in fighting games are almost always consistent.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Banjo and Kazooie will probably be one of the most expensive ones to use.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Charging different prices for different characters goes against the mentality of fighting games that all characters should ideally be on a level playing field. Excluding purposely bad joke characters and whatnot.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think is too soon to have Kamui or Aqua as a favorite character xD

My favorite characters are Minor ones, but I really want characters like Micaiah, Tiki or Anna xDU
Never too early, m'darling~

I'm certainly not expecting them or advocating that they have to appear, just that I like them and think they'd be neat later on down the road. :

It's amazing.

Playtonic bess new devs~

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think the comparison between Bayonetta and Snake is fair.

Brawl had a gritty artstyle and was aiming for a T rating, so Snake had a easier time fitting in plus there's nothing M rated about the character himself.

Smash 4 is aiming for an E10+rating and has a bright cheery art style. And Bayonetta herself is practically the reason the game is M rated.

I understand that this is quickly becoming the new Ridley, but I felt I had to chime in.

:231:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I don't think the comparison between Bayonetta and Snake is fair.

Brawl had a gritty artstyle and was aiming for a T rating, so Snake had a easier time fitting in plus there's nothing M rated about the character himself.

Smash 4 is aiming for an E10+rating and has a bright cheery art style. And Bayonetta herself is practically the reason the game is M rated.

I understand that this is quickly becoming the new Ridley, but I felt I had to chime in.

I wouldn't compare this to Ridley where he was confirmed as a stage boss but people looked way to deep into so hard that we have conversations so much about it when it shouldn't have

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wouldn't compare this to Ridley where he was confirmed as a stage boss but people looked way to deep into so hard that we have conversations so much about it when it shouldn't have
The Ridley comparison is because it's about a character that causes a ****storm here and because both of them won't happen here. It hurts saying that

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't see Bayonetta happening at all. She's a minor Third Party character that's far too controversial and tricky to work into Smash to be considered a viable candidate, in my opinion.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Why is Sakurai so reluctant to put Ridley in the game where all "problems" that he supposedly has are trivial and can be fixed easily?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Why is Sakurai so reluctant to put Ridley in the game where all "problems" that he supposedly has are trivial and can be fixed easily?
Because Sakurai hates Ridley
I see Shovel Knight happening before Bayonetta. I'd say they are equally significant to Nintendo and gaming in general and the former would not risk bumping the game's rating.
I'd argue Shovel Knight is possibly the best kickstarter legend out there

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah, I wouldn't compare, because Bayonetta hasn't been clearly deconfirmed with a role yet, and 3rd parties will probably never be deconfirmed unless there is a special 3rd party AT, which is very unlikely to happen.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Because Sakurai believes that Ridley as a character works far better as a boss than a fighter and holds his ground that one significant factor of this is how less intimidating and fairly awkward Ridley, particularly in his design outside of Other M, would look at around the size of Bowser. This isn't news and frankly he respects the fans of him enough for Ridley being one of very few characters to ever get an official word as to why he is not playable.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Because Sakurai believes that Ridley as a character works far better as a boss than a fighter and holds his ground that one significant factor of this is how less intimidating and fairly awkward Ridley, particularly in his design outside of Other M, would look at around the size of Bowser. This isn't news and frankly he respects the fans of him enough for Ridley being one of very few characters to ever get an official word as to why he is not playable.
This. Fans of Ridley and Chrom can say "Sakurai hates them" but the truth is Sakurai doesn't have to elaborate why he couldn't make those characters work. Tons of other characters that didn't make the cut don't get that honorable mention.
Like Ghirahim...:sadeyes:
(Not saying all their fans do this)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Because he's the only one other than the currently delayed Mighty No. 9, right?
Correct.

Certainly not relevant to Smash Bros.
Also correct.

Shovel Knight being the best Kickstarter Legend is like Goku being the best anime legend, or Shrek being the best Dreamworks legend; whilst arguably true, it doesn't seem to mean much.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This. Fans of Ridley and Chrom can say "Sakurai hates them" but the truth is Sakurai doesn't have to elaborate why he couldn't make those characters work. Tons of other characters that didn't make the cut don't get that honorable mention.
Something I hate about Sakurai. Of you're not going to make a character playable, at least explain it! Why wasn't Ghirahim playable? Why isn't K.Rool playable? Why isn't *insert literally every character* playable? I want to at least know why I can't play as my favourite characters

Burruni

Smash Hero
Shovel Knight being the best Kickstarter Legend is like Goku being the best anime legend, or Shrek being the best Dreamworks legend; whilst arguably true, it doesn't seem to mean much.
Especially with Shovel Knight being a one-off indie game that has no Japanese release and has already transcended onto PC and Playstation. I don't even remember if their makers has a history of games, let alone with Nintendo (in comparison to one of his big rivals, Shantae, whose rights were originally owned by capcom and now are part of Way Forward who is REALLY Nintendo-friendly and the series has started on the GBC with international releases)

Frankly, my thought on it is one that makes sense when you look at the equal treatment of Midna, Skull Kid, and Ghirahim. All 3 are REALLY popular Zelda characters that have an impact in one game (Skull Kid also appearing in OoT and TP but everyone only thinks of his role as Majora's host). In comparison to the playable fighters of the series who... are all holders of the Tri Force. Sheik being the one with least merit who got in off of a gimmick has only lasted due to having the veteranism.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I just had to say this in one of me tweets to #mouthness.
bayo.jpg

How am I not surprised to see you posting instead of studying? lol

I would love to see Alph become playable as his own character instead for the next Smash. Maybe it's me because I have a dislike for characters who are the same person having two slots (Mario/Doc for example) when there are other series who could use the rep instead. Louie would've been a second rep, but Alph could definitely help the Pikmin series grow a bit, even if he ends up being an Olimar clone
YaI should ban myself from here too maybe. But I post at night! :p

I think it would be really cool to have another Pikmin Captain, hopefully using the ROCK Pikmin since they haven't been used yet. I see a Semi-clone likely, but interesting things could happen. e.g, yellow pikmin lighting up one of those bombs maybe. And the rest of the captains would be costumes like Alph is now.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Frankly, my thought on it is one that makes sense when you look at the equal treatment of Midna, Skull Kid, and Ghirahim. All 3 are REALLY popular Zelda characters that have an impact in one game (Skull Kid also appearing in OoT and TP but everyone only thinks of his role as Majora's host). In comparison to the playable fighters of the series who... are all holders of the Tri Force. Sheik being the one with least merit who got in off of a gimmick has only lasted due to having the veteranism.
Yes, I've heard that many times before.
But I'd rather let Sakurai tell me that. ;)

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I meant 'Ridley' as in people are getting bored of the topic, haha. :p

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Something I hate about Sakurai. Of you're not going to make a character playable, at least explain it! Why wasn't Ghirahim playable? Why isn't K.Rool playable? Why isn't *insert literally every character* playable? I want to at least know why I can't play as my favourite characters
My sentiments exactly. While I don't expect him to go through every AT, requested character, and whatnot, I'd a least want him to explain a few more characters exclusion other than Chrom and Ridley :colorful: (I may be missing a few.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom