• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm not against them even though i'm not really interested in them. People are excited for their inclusion in Smash so i'm happy for them.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Never said Inklings were a shoe-in.

We don't know to what extent, if any, the game is going to be a success. We can only speculate.

Codename: STEAM never really got support because it wasn't as hyped or popular when compared to many other franchises and one-off games. It came and went without much of a word. Frankly the biggest gain from it is that Marth now has an english voice due to the Amiibo compatability. (And Abe Lincoln was already sworn in as a mech suit gunner before the game was even announced!)

Never said that we should IGNORE old franchises or that we NEED to support Splatoon.

All I was saying that the point of "It hasn't even come out yet" is one that will be dunked less than a third of the way through the Ballot period as the full release is coming quite soon.

Does that say anything about how Splatoon is an established franchise? No. Does that say that Inklings are the wave of the future for a Smash character? Certainly not. I support them, but my post had nothing to do with that. It was solely talking about how the release date is coming up quite soon for a game that has been quite hyped since E3 last year and frankly got more played up coverage then and arguably more fan support than anything else Nintendo showed off there other than Smash Bros. itself.

I agree with everything you said. I just wanted to point out that Inklings aren't ready for Smash.

And let be real Splatoon is getting a push is because Nintendo actually bother to advertise a new franchise instead of leaving it for dead (see Wonderful 101) and how great reception the demo got

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
It's sad to know that a lot of people request veterans to come back because "it isn't fair" or "why did they have to be cut". And I just know that some of those people will play as them a few times then never play as them again. That said, I'd be happy with any of them to come back but I would rather have characters like Isaac, Inkling, and Krystal etc. because they bring something new and unique. In other words, I'd rather have more newcomers and less veterans as DLC.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
After Roy and Wolf (and maybe just maybe Solid Snake), I doubt their will be any more veterans as DLC (unless the 3DS problem is fixed with the IC's).

I'm pretty sure that all the Smash Ballot characters will be newcomers.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I would be happy for the current 3 last minute clones to return next time as last minute clones of that's the only way they could return. :)

(except maybe Dr.Mario, I would be fine with him a Alph/Olimar thing with Mario, even though I do like him.)
How am I not surprised to see you posting instead of studying? lol

I would love to see Alph become playable as his own character instead for the next Smash. Maybe it's me because I have a dislike for characters who are the same person having two slots (Mario/Doc for example) when there are other series who could use the rep instead. Louie would've been a second rep, but Alph could definitely help the Pikmin series grow a bit, even if he ends up being an Olimar clone

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I have five Fire Emblem characters on my list of most-wanted newcomers.

Ye gods but reps can be damned.

Burruni

Smash Hero
How am I not surprised to see you posting instead of studying? lol

I would love to see Alph become playable as his own character instead for the next Smash. Maybe it's me because I have a dislike for characters who are the same person having two slots (Mario/Doc for example) when there are other series who could use the rep instead. Louie would've been a second rep, but Alph could definitely help the Pikmin series grow a bit, even if he ends up being an Olimar clone
Just to ask, how would Alph be differentiated from Olimar? Would it just be the change of Purple to Rock Pikmin?

Because... when we look at the current (and DLC) newcomers.

:4drmario:: Retain's his differences from Mario in Melee while also holding the difference in Down+B and D-Air.
:roypm::Different Down-Smash, different sweet-spotted blade, generally slower but stronger. Never really picked them apart.
:4tlink:: Significantly smaller, lighter, quicker version of :4link: with weaker specials (2 having custom special-tier differences) and some A-move differences.
:4lucas:: Custom-Special tier differences (literally, given Ness has them) with a Tether Grab and signficantly different aerials and vertical smashes.
:4darkpit:: Custom-Special tier difference in B and Side B, entirely different final smash... and I genuinely haven't researched for the other matters. I believe the Tilts have different damage/knockback.
:4lucina:: Least differentiated clone. General blade strength instead of tipper of hiltbox.

Not meaning to "Harp" on the choice I'm more genuinely curious how you'd think they'd be differentiated.

I swear to Naga if you don't have Hector and Anna on your list.....

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I swear to Naga if you don't have Hector and Anna on your list.....
Well I'm the new owner of the Anna support thread soooo...~ ;3

Hector is not on the list. I love The Big H and all his axe-swinging shenanigans, just as much I love The Wood, but it's all about dat Lyn babeh~

For those curious, the list is, in order of preference:

Tiki
Anna
Lyn
Kamui
Aqua

wanted lyn since seeing the AT in brawl.

Still want her now. I would also love a spear user. Like sully (infinite pipe dream) or that one lord from FE4 i think

D

Deleted member

Somewhat related to your discussion: Codename: S.T.E.A.M. isn't actually out in Japan yet. I wonder how Japanese players will react to it. It's a very American-centric story.

Personally, I'm a huge Inkling supporter, but I realize that since the game actually hasn't come out yet...their chances are up in the air. However, we do know that Sakurai did consider brand new franchises for Brawl...it's just that most of them were new series that weren't apt to fighting (Nintendogs, Animal Crossing [at the time]).
Animal Crossing wasn't really all that new during Brawl's time.
It was "new" during Melee's development.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Well I'm the new owner of the Anna support thread soooo...~ ;3

Hector is not on the list. I love The Big H and all his axe-swinging shenanigans, just as much I love The Wood, but it's all about dat Lyn babeh~

For those curious, the list is, in order of preference:

Tiki
Anna
Lyn
Kamui
Aqua
Well... I can still respect 4/5 ;P

It's awkward being a Smash and FE fan when 3 of my 4 least liked protagonists were the forerunners for DLC (Roy, Lyn, Erika, Micaiah).

wanted lyn since seeing the AT in brawl.

Still want her now. I would also love a spear user. Like sully (infinite pipe dream) or that one lord from FE4 i think
Yo, don't go on the Sigrun train. If you want a Spear user, we got far better options. Like Bandana Dee. Like Anna who, with a spear and brave lance, is the hardest boss of FE History as the boss of Apotheosis DLC. Or... y'know. Ganon. As the face of Viridi Support you should be all aboard supporting the Ganon Canon!

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Animal Crossing wasn't really all that new during Brawl's time.
It was "new" during Melee's development.
Very true. I temporarily forgot that it was released on the N64. The GameCube version was released a month after Melee's was released.

Problem with Sully or Sigurd is that they ride on horses. Though if tried hard enough it can work
Sully is excitebiker. Except we know that FE horses can jump :troll:
Well... I can still respect 4/5 ;P

It's awkward being a Smash and FE fan when 3 of my 4 least liked protagonists were the forerunners for DLC (Roy, Lyn, Erika, Micaiah).

Yo, don't go on the Sigrun train. If you want a Spear user, we got far better options. Like Bandana Dee. Like Anna who, with a spear and brave lance, is the hardest boss of FE History as the boss of Apotheosis DLC. Or... y'know. Ganon. As the face of Viridi Support you should be all aboard supporting the Ganon Canon!

I support dee as well.

Ganon is the only LoZ i really care for.

Still salty about anna not having any support convos and not realizing it for 10 battles. . .

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Paintbrushes? My only doubt about an Inkling moveset is gone
Melee wise you'd have the Paintbrush (fairly quick, used like a middleground of sword and spear), the Paint Roller which basically is just like a massive hammer in terms of swinging it, and of course, the fact that they actually have their squiddy tentacles.

Horse=PETA tho
Er, Anna had support conversations, her Tiki one was pretty good iirc
She had them with Tiki, the My Unit, and Morgan if she was Morgan's mother. That's it.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Melee wise you'd have the Paintbrush (fairly quick, used like a middleground of sword and spear), the Paint Roller which basically is just like a massive hammer in terms of swinging it, and of course, the fact that they actually have their squiddy tentacles.

She had them with Tiki, the My Unit, and Morgan if she was Morgan's mother. That's it.
DSmash idea: Inkling thrusts a Paint Roller (Kirby bias lel) forward and pulls it, jumping over the brush itself. +5 Style
Ah, she barely had any then

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Very true. I temporarily forgot that it was released on the N64. The GameCube version was released a month after Melee's was released.
Resetti, Tom Nook and K. K. Rider (called Totakeke) had trophies in Melee. Brawl and Smash 4 don't have any 'Future Release' trophies though. I wonder why.

:231:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly astounded there isn't a spear-wielder in Smash. There's so much to draw from!

Bandana Dee, Ganon, Aqua, Sigurd, Escavalier (shh, let me have this), Mii Halberdier...

Polearms are awesome.

Incidentally, "pole the poll" should totally be a Bandana Dee support slogan~

Resetti, Tom Nook and K. K. Rider (called Totakeke) had trophies in Melee. Brawl and Smash 4 don't have any 'Future Release' trophies though. I wonder why.

Were there any big games being hyped in the Brawl / Smash 4 speculation eras?

I think Splatoon was revealed a bit too late to make the cut in terms of content. At least TW101 just about made it.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Escavalier? Heracross better bug
Heracross is not Don Quixote as a chivalric snail.

He is, however, Hercules, and for that I will give him due credit.

Totally want to see fan art of Heracross wrestling Pyroar now.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'll played the games. They feel like real guns. She grabs them, points them and shoots them. Like a gun.

I'm sorry, but when small guns like the above fire at a ridiculous rate with a fashionable colorful design, they actually feel less closer to a real life gun and more like a fantasy weapon, for the most part her weapon is ok. If her weapon was a rifle, then I would be concerned, but as far as it goes, her weapon is fine and can be implemented in Smash.

What is boils down to is if she was included, the character would end up being altered so she could fit in the game, which is inherently not a "natural fit". She could work, but only if she was changed more than any other character so far, so saying she blends with Smash well and "works" is a stretch at best. She can be made to work through sacrificing who she is as a character, which is a practice Sakurai for the most part stays away from
Hmm.. you have a point with her being not being a natural fit.

Maybe I was exaggerating a bit with her fitting very well. I don't think she'll be altered a severe amount, some of her main weapons and attacks are fine when you look at it from a further stand-point. I don't see attacks and mechanics (if done) like torture attacks, her guns, and witch time being altered (That's 3/5ths of her main uses of combat), and I don't see her personality being changed much either aside having loose vague references about sex. (At least she doesn't swear hardcore and attack in a very violent manner like Travis Touchdown, that's more of a realistic thing than Bayonetta in combat.)

The only real thing that is likely going to be altered a bit is the hair and the Wicked Weaves, I think she'll show some partial nudity to at least stay true to what Bayonetta is about, and again not to that certain point. There's not a whole lot of altered changes have to be made as far as Bayonetta is concerned.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I'm sorry, but when small guns like the above fire at a ridiculous rate with a fashionable colorful design, they actually feel less closer to a real life gun and more like a fantasy weapon, for the most part her weapon is ok. If her weapon was a rifle, then I would be concerned, but as far as it goes, her weapon is fine and can be implemented in Smash.

Maybe I was exaggerating a bit with her fitting very well. I don't think she'll be altered a severe amount, some of her main weapons and attacks are fine when you look at it from a further stand-point. I don't see attacks and mechanics (if done) like torture attacks, her guns, and witch time being altered (That's 3/5ths of her main uses of combat), and I don't see her personality being changed much either aside having loose vague references about sex. (At least she doesn't swear hardcore and attack in a very violent manner like Travis Touchdown, that's more of a realistic thing than Bayonetta in combat.)

The only real thing that is likely going to be altered a bit is the hair and the Wicked Weaves, I think she'll show some partial nudity to at least stay true to what Bayonetta is about, and again not to that certain point. There's not a whole lot of altered changes have to be made as far as Bayonetta is concerned.
They look like real guns and function like real guns, that's the problem

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
They look like real guns and function like real guns, that's the problem
I think you should read it again and tell me if that is close to the average real life gun at all.

Honestly astounded there isn't a spear-wielder in Smash. There's so much to draw from!

Bandana Dee, Ganon, Aqua, Sigurd, Escavalier (shh, let me have this), Mii Halberdier...
I prefer Ganon more since he offers more than his trident and makes the most sense as far as importance Zelda candidates go.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think you should read it again and tell me if that is close to the average real life gun at all.

I prefer Ganon more since he offers more than his trident and makes the most sense as far as importance Zelda candidates go.
'Ridiculous design' Doesn't help in it's favour when it's still clearly a pistol 'high fire rate' how is that an argument that helps? You're acting like the DBZ fans who are saying "What if Toei made an anime for Nintendo? That'll put him in!"

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Raining on a confirmed character's parade is foolish. You'll simply get a 'Haters gonna hate' reaction.:p

And now I imagine the case of Paper Mario.....

How much likes would I get if it would happen and I post the salt image from pm64?

Though, the thing with him is I expect more mind blown and people realising stuff than salt. This actually became a reason to want him btw which is kinda weird :) It's not my main one of course.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Come on, those are Peanut Popguns/Blasters/Paralyzers

I think if the bullets are changed into orange Blaster-like flashes instead of real bullets, the guns aren't the biggest concern.
I mean there's still the nake2win thing, but these guns?

Hey, maybe she could even have these guns fire automatically from her shoes, so that it is more unique (you can get all kinds of weird and nimble poses with it) and it is less "realistic", since there's no loading/actual shooting pose required.

As for Spear-users, Dees Waddle Dee here is Dee most Deelightfull Waddler I've seen and is very Deer to my heart.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Were there any big games being hyped in the Brawl / Smash 4 speculation eras?

I think Splatoon was revealed a bit too late to make the cut in terms of content. At least TW101 just about made it.
There certainly were. Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii are the most notable.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I can think a plenty of reasons to be against Bayonetta, but the guns are not one of them. She would look really cool and play really well.

bruh. . .thats a straight up gun and has every feature of a gun. just because its painted blue and has a keybalde keychain doesnt make it less a a freaking ballistic handgun.

You know what? I'm starting to think we'll end up with more Bayonetta debates in this thread than Ridley debates at this rate
the odd part is it's pretty much just 1 member. whiteeagle doesnt show up very much so its mostly blue.

seriously the parrelels are astounding with the arguments. it's almost creepy

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
bruh. . .thats a straight up gun and has every feature of a gun. just because its painted blue and has a keybalde keychain doesnt make it less a a freaking ballistic handgun.
Ok. It's a gun. So what? I really don't understand this argument.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There certainly were. Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii are the most notable.

I'm more so referring to new IPs. Mario is Mario, it's not like they'd have to go out of their way to market "future release" for a series that works on its own merits and has done since the year dot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom