• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Yeah I can see that happening. Popo and Nana are shippable. Hypothetically speaking, let's say SoPo did become a thing. What kind of tweaks do you think they'd give him?
Hammer Time! Exploding mechanical Hammer time!:4dedede::4kirby:

Jokes aside, I want more Freezing-based attacks out from the woodworks. It was cool to see 2 Ice-based moves put in their specials, but ICE Climbers makes me wonder why they have just 2 Ice moves in total disregarding their Final Smash.
  • Needs more Ice moves.
  • Needs less grabbing, though this hypothetical discussion about just SoPo automatically fixes that. I'm so used to calling Ice Climbers the Grab Climbers I forget they can do Ice attacks.:glare:
  • Currently with nothing new about Ice Climbers, I'd say that SoPo should stay left-handed despite losing his hotness, mostly keeping their move-sets all hammer. I personally want a expendable throwing hammer move to replace his twirling Hammer SideB. Throwing hammers sounds too Mario-like though.
Do you guys think Ridley will ever be outright shown pre-release? There's only a relatively few days left. Sakurai might as well show him.
I feel characters such as Ridley K. Rool & Mewtwo announced as anything besides a hidden / secret character would just be too much hype people would keel over. That said I'd say the Big 3 may be kept mysterious from the world.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Hammer Time! Exploding mechanical Hammer time!:4dedede::4kirby:

Jokes aside, I want more Freezing-based attacks out from the woodworks. It was cool to see 2 Ice-based moves put in their specials, but ICE Climbers makes me wonder why they have just 2 Ice moves in total disregarding their Final Smash.
  • Needs more Ice moves.
  • Needs less grabbing, though this hypothetical discussion about just SoPo automatically fixes that. I'm so used to calling Ice Climbers the Grab Climbers I forget they can do Ice attacks.:glare:
  • Currently with nothing new about Ice Climbers, I'd say that SoPo should stay left-handed despite losing his hotness, mostly keeping their move-sets all hammer. I personally want a expendable throwing hammer move to replace his twirling Hammer SideB. Throwing hammers sounds too Mario-like though.
The chain grabby thing was what made the Ice Climbers over 9000 though wasn't it? You're telling me you don't want to see even more grabs? I take it you spent more time playing against the character rather than with it. :awesome:

For SoPo's recovery, I think he can still pull Nana outta ****ing nowhere like Mega Man does with Rush, so the team could salvage that much. For the rest, I think he would need a bigger hammer... Yes a giant mallet that's like 4 times his size and strikes just as fast as his previous one. He would also require more ice powers like you say, but he already has neutral B and side B... What about adding an elemental effect to his hammer? The higher the damage percentage, the more likely the opponent is to be frozen?

edit: I wasn't serious about the hammer, but he needs something extra for sures.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
How about Malon? She could perform menial chores for moves, spill bottles of milk on the floor to make opponents stumble and slip, use cuccos for recoveries and projectiles. Would be like Villager in the respect that she is fighting with everyday moves. I think Malon would be the perfect WTF character and Zelda newcomer people so desperately crave right now. She has absolutely no fighting background. Perfect for Sakurai and his bizarre, impulsive, childish desires. :troll:
I'd main Malon.

@ Masonomace Masonomace Does the fact that you left Isaac of mean you want him in :awesome:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I feel characters such as Ridley K. Rool & Mewtwo announced as anything besides a hidden / secret character would just be too much hype people would keel over. That said I'd say the Big 3 may be kept mysterious from the world.
I think its possible Sakurai might announce one and allow us to find out if the others are in the game. If it could be any one, Mewtwo would be the most hype, but if it had to be a newcomer, King K. Rool, as based on what I have read and heard he is the #3 most wanted character (in both Japan and the west), and the #1 overall Nintendo newcomer (because Mega Man is third-party and Mewtwo is a veteran).

Staarih

Smash Master
Something just occurred to me with the supposed starting roster image, which probably has been discussed to death already but still... I haven't been following much as to what the consensus of it is (whether it actually is the starting roster or not), but I just saw some of the promotional posters for Smash (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwWUst0CAAEn2P1.jpg & http://smashboards.com/attachments/1409487160312-jpg.23656/ specifically) and what I find interesting is that the supposed Pokémon-starters are all there versus each other in the first one, but the other one is missing Lucina out of the four FE-characters, even though she's revealed, her being replaced with Shulk. Now, Lucina isn't in the "starting roster image" either, so maybe the promotional images have characters which are only available from the start, which would then again help the legitimacy of the image having the actual starting roster. This is major straw grasping and I'm probably missing something here haha (and I still think not having Wario at the start would be a bit odd), but just something I noted.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The chain grabby thing was what made the Ice Climbers over 9000 though wasn't it? You're telling me you don't want to see even more grabs? I take it you spent more time playing against the character rather than with it. :awesome:

For SoPo's recovery, I think he can still pull Nana outta ****ing nowhere like Mega Man does with Rush, so the team could salvage that much. For the rest, I think he would need a bigger hammer... Yes a giant mallet that's like 4 times his size and strikes just as fast as his previous one. He would also require more ice powers like you say, but he already has neutral B and side B... What about adding an elemental effect to his hammer? The higher the damage percentage, the more likely the opponent is to be frozen?

edit: I wasn't serious about the hammer, but he needs something extra for sures.
Yes it was. I had respect for IC players woh Footstool out of grab throws, but that's it. I never bothered to learn how to play Brawl IC's nor Melee IC's.

Making Nana appear out of nowhere makes sense like Sonic & Mega Man do, but I prefer Popo use his string / rope as a tether recovery without Nana. That or Sakurai got really creative & made Popo emit Blizzards from his feet propelling forward to recover, that or an Ice skating joke somewhere in there, like the enemies did in the Icicle Mountain stage from Melee did when you pass by them when they ice skated by you.
I'd main Malon.

@ Masonomace Masonomace Does the fact that you left Isaac of mean you want him in :awesome:
Perhaps, I'll throw this response for you:
Maybebaby.:smirk:
I think its possible Sakurai might announce one and allow us to find out if the others are in the game. If it could be any one, Mewtwo would be the most hype, but if it had to be a newcomer, King K. Rool, as based on what I have read and heard he is the #3 most wanted character (in both Japan and the west), and the #1 overall Nintendo newcomer (because Mega Man is third-party and Mewtwo is a veteran).
Aye, I would imagine a newcomer is more likely shown marketing a final reveal trailer. Since by Sakurai's planning, he's shown newcomers to be the stars of all said trailers. In that regard, K. Rool or RIdley would be ideal, especially K. Rool more to give justice to the lack-of DK content in Smash, adding a DK stage to boot for extra goodies.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If Sakurai were focusing on female characters specifically, at least one of Robin or Villager would be default female considering there's no particular reason they should be default male.
I think he just wanted to choose a default between the two sexes and call it a day.

And here are some plenty reasonable female characters Sakurai could add if he really wanted to focus on females:
1. Dixie
2. Impa
3. Krystal
4. Lip
5. Captain Syrup
6. Rhythm Girl (To be fair, this is only worth mentioning if a different RH character gets in)
7. Sami (AW fans say she'd be a good successor for Snake's moveset, and AW doesn't have a rep)
8. Daisy as an upgraded Peach clone (but Dr. Mario instead)
9. Barbara
10. Jill Dozer
11. Ashley or Mona
It is not a lack of females, but how much staying power or star power those females have. There is no arguing that Dixie Kong, Krystal, and Medusa have earned their spots. Personally, I would not mind seeing Sami or Lip make it in SSB4.

Nintendo has a lot more male characters than female, but if the focus were really to be on adding females, there's not exactly a shortage of them to choose from. If he could think of Wii Fit Trainer, I'm sure there are plenty more I didn't list.
I don't think Sakurai is mainly looking at the roster and thinking "What female characters should I add?", but instead looking at the roster and thinking, "Who would be the best person to have in this roster?".

Considering the newest females:

:rosalina:- Her moveset with Sakurai clicked and he saw tons of potential in her. It also helps that she is popular because of the Super Mario Galaxy games and is rising to popularity in the Mario Kart series.

:4wiifit: - Sakurai's choice that nobody really saw coming. Serves the purpose of being this games :gw: and :rob:

:4palutena: - She is the second most biggest character in the Kid Icarus series, not including Kid Icarus Uprising.

:4lucina: - Originally started out as an alternate costume, but Sakurai decided to make her a character. She is the most popular Fire Emblem Awakening female character that both the fans and Intelligent Systems likes if I am not mistaken.

:4mii: - If you count the Mii Gunner as a separate character, then she would be her own character.

:4robinf: - If you count Robin as a female character because of the alternate costume.

:4villager: - Villager has a female alternate costume, but for some reason, does not have a Female Villager icon, like the Male WFT has.

tl;dr Sakurai seems to leave sex/gender out of the question when it comes to choosing characters for SSB4.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
So out of all the newcomers, who will you guys main if you had to choose one main and one sub-main? The main would be greninja and sub-main would be megaman.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So out of all the newcomers, who will you guys main if you had to choose one main and one sub-main? The main would be greninja and sub-main would be megaman.
I don't actually plan to main any of the newcomers, but if any it'd probably be Greninja, with Lucina or Bowser Jr as an alt.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Main: :4littlemac:

Sub-Main: :4villager:/:4shulk:

Edit: This is only if we are counting newcomers.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Palutena is my main. No questions asked. I already have it entered that way in my settings.

Sub-main is Robin or Lucina. Duck Hunt Dog is a possibility if I like his moves. Bowser Jr. has a really stupid move set, so I won't be using him.

Right now Palutena, Robin, Lucina, Ike, Pikachu, and Charizard are the characters I plan on using.

PokéMurio

Smash Apprentice
Mains:
:4charizard:Charizard is cool Pokémon. In fact, it's huge part of my childhood. I liked him in Brawl but he looks even more promising in Smash 4.
:4greninja: I did not use Greninja in X/Y very much, but as a Pokémon freak I simply can't ignore Greninja. He looks very promising, agile fighter.
:4mario:Good ol' Mario. It might sound ridiculous to main Mario, but his decent moveset is fun to use. While maining Dr. Mario is generic, maining Mario is something special.
:4bowser:After seeing the very first trailer I must say, that I LOVE what they did to Bowser in SSB4. Bowser is big bad brute and very appealing character. Koopa King shall still be my main.
:4littlemac:"Good job son, I'm proud of you" would Doc Louis say. I love Punch-Out!! series and boxing in general. While Mac is small, he looks very powerful and at least, decent character.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Y'know what. Let's try to have a bit of fun on our Labor Day. Let's have a small thing for people to do for a bit... though it may be more fitting for a sub-thread

Write-In A Newcomer!

Concept: You win a global contest to write in any one newcomer into Smash you want as long as they have appeared at least once on a Nintendo console if they're a 3rd Party choice. The catch: You have to help design the moveset. Basically the dream for any Smash fan.

My entry!

Overlord Laharl, from the Disgaea Series. A turn-based isometric strategy rpg series known mostly for its comical 4th-wall-breaking writing and extreme numbers (Max Level 9999, core stats of 6+ digits, Millions done in damage, etc). The first game of the series, despite being Sony-Exclusive otherwise, landed a DS remake and the creator, Nippon Ichi Software, has done a number of contracts with Nintendo (Cave Story 3D, for example and the company's first game was for the SNES). A (short) villain by normal standards and plenty of in-game movepool potential with character skills and weapon skills with his three weapon fortes: Swords (primarily), Axes, and Fists! Also he's always shirtless so that helps the fan service situation for the ladies ;).

Moveset

Jab Combo: "Triple Strike", one-two jabs with a slight uppercut to finish
F-Tilt: Bowser's
D-Tilt: Ike's
U-Tilt: His appendage-like scarf gives one swipe overhead.

Dash Attack: Double Fisted charge to carry a bit of momentum after the dash

(Axe)
F-Smash: Akin to Ike's, "Boulder Crush" in which Laharl does a powerful overhead slam of his axe to the ground with immense endlag.
U-Smash: "Boomerang Axe", Laharl chucks his Axe up a short distance overhead before catching it as it comes back down, multi-hit.
D-Smash: Laharl does a full spin, keeping his axe at the ground to get one clean slice at both sides of him.

N-air: Link's
F-air: Airborne dropkick
B-air: Swinging his sword backwards
D-air: Swinging his sword underneath

Grab: Laharl's scarf reaches out and pulls an opponent in, a longer ranged grab with more chance to punish. Like how Yoshi's is MEANT to work (despite Marth's hand having better grab range)
Pummel: Never above some underhanded play, Laharl knees the opponent in the stomach akin to Captain Falcon.
F-Throw: "Aura Punch" Sets the opponent down and punches with a glowing fist which knocks them away.
B-Throw: ...Just chucks them drom behind
U-Throw: "King of Beasts!" spiral uppercut.
D-Throw: Laharl drops the opponent to the ground before dropping a miniature Prinny onto them which explodes and naturally sends the opponent forward.

Neutral B: Overlord's Wrath: Overhead, Laharl charges a ball of hellfire before launching it forward and having it eventually drop. Unlike many other charged shots, this can not be canceled & stored as charging determines the "force" used to launch it, making it range from just dropping by Laharl's feet before erupting (causing minor damage to him as well) to being chucked half of the length of Final Destination with the effect of a full range Din's Fire.

Side B: Blade Rush: ....Ike's Quickdraw. I've got nothing more to say.

Up B: Slayer's Descent: Akin to Fire Fox/Bird/Wolf, Laharl's scarf unfurls into a set of wings before he takes a direct airborne dash in the direction selected with sword jutted out (faster than the Star Fox equivalent, but it only has a hitbox with the "front" of Laharl's model which makes it easier to counter.

Down B: Blazing Knuckle: Functioning like Yoshi or Bowser's Down B... and to a degree Dedede's Up B, Laharl leaps up into the air (only if on the ground) before coming down fist-first in a blazing plummet.

Final Smash: Meteor Impact! Laharl swings his sword up from the ground to pointed over him, anyone caught in the swing gets taken into the cinematic of his most iconic move ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P3JW734BWM ). In terms of properties, it's the same as being hit directly by Olimar's ship when it crashes onto the stage.

Bonus

Assist Trophy: Prinny: A Prinny
appears and walks aimlessly (Starfy's AI). It never directly attacks, can be picked up. Can be attacked. If it goes into the air from being hit from a strong enough attack, being grabbed and thrown, or walking off an edge, it will explode like a bob-omb when it hits the ground or collides with a character or otherwise hittable object (certain assist trophies, certain pokemon, boxes, crates).

Really, I just wanna see how creative some people can be when they can have fun.

Edit to reply to the current chain: I plan to stick with my (un)holy trinity :ganondorf::jigglypuff::warioc: for mains. But :4palutena: seems like a possible addition into the cycle as I tend to pick up one big newcomer each game.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Main: :wario:

I lost my secondary. (Snake) ;_; But Bowser Jr looks rad so I'll probably use him. I also got my Melee main back so it's all fine.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Currently so far from confirmed characters:
Primary main from Brawl & will be mained in SSB4 / 5::4lucario:

Newcomer main(s): :4greninja: / :4palutena: / :4shulk:
Only having to choose one Newcomer primary: :4shulk:

Sub-newcomer secondary: :4palutena:

Secondary main(s): :4falcon: / :4link: / :4luigi: / :4marth: / :4samus: / :4sonic: / :4yoshi:.

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I'm gonna main the same one I mained back in Brawl: Random.

I like to use every character, I don't like to get involved with just a few of them. Of course, there's always some characters I'm better with, but I have no mains.

But, if I had to choose one, it'd probably be either Captain Falcon or Robin.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure i'm going to play Megaman a lot, but i'm not sure about all the other characters, i don't think i will really like Greninja having in mind i have never been fan of fast characters (like Sheik) and Lucina being a clone of Marth is a big nope for me (is just that i don't like to use Marth), but i'm really waiting to get my hands on the Wii Fit Trainer and Palutena

Currently so far from confirmed characters:
Primary main from Brawl & will be mained in SSB4 / 5::4lucario:

Newcomer main(s): :4greninja: / :4palutena: / :4shulk:
Only having to choose one Newcomer primary: :4shulk:

Secondary main(s): :4falcon: / :4link: / :4luigi: / :4marth: / :4samus: / :4sonic: / :4yoshi:.
Well if i have to put it that way....

Primary main from Brawl & will be mained in SSB4 / 5::4peach:

Newcomer main(s)::4megaman:/:4wiifit:/:4palutena:

Only having to choose one Newcomer primary: :4megaman:

Secondary main(s): :4link:/:4zelda:/:4myfriends:/ and.... :ivysaur:/:lucas:ohhh wait! :drsad:

Last edited:

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
I think the Random Button will be my Main, because this will be my first SSB , which I will play very long so I am not a Pro Gamer and I just play for fun, not for glory. Is this Button already confirmed and do you can see which character will be randomly choose, or can you see it already on the character selection screen?

But if I should choose M & S-M, it would be
Main: :4robinf:, Bowser Jr.
Sub-Main: :4metaknight:

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I think the Random Button will be my Main, because this will be my first SSB, which I will play a very long and I just play for fun, not for glory. Is this Button already confirmed and do you can see which character will be randomly choose, or can you see it on the character selection screen?
If it is like in Brawl, and it probably will, you place your chip on the Random slot, press Start and you jump to the next screen without knowing who the game picked for you. That includes alternate colors/outfits.

And yeah, maining Random is incredibly fun. You start learning things about characters you didn't like before and end up enjoying (and being really good with) most of them.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
N
EDIT: Guys, guys. Look what Sakurai said about Tingle!:

«The legendary hero Riki appears as an Assist Trophy and in Shulk's Final Smash!! As an Assist Trophy, he uses many arts like Happy Happy, Freezinate, and Yoink! He sounds a bit like Tingle...but don't worry, Tingle will make an appearance too. By the way, a cursor will appear above Assist Trophies and Pokémon to indicate which fighter is its ally. Now you can tell right off the bat who it belongs to!!» 01.Sep.2014
Tingle has been seen as an assist trophy. Keep an eye on Rosalina.

:4villager: is best main

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Well since clearly I won''t be getting an Idolmaster Rep in this game, I decided to make a petition to get its newest game here to America. If you would like to support, please message me and I'll happily send you a link.

I'm focused on getting an Idolmaster Rep in the next Smash Bros game.

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure what my main will be. In Brawl, I was really into Kirby, but honestly I love using the random button. It always creates a new surprise, and I love playing each character...except for Jigglypuff. I hate Jigglypuff. But again, my personal favorites so far are Greninja, Little Mac, and Mega Man, though Shulk looks epic too.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I was conditioned to be used to seeing a random button in the dead middle of the screen. This has never happened for any CSS in any SSB game, so I'm hoping that they may do this. It would certainly be easy-to-find if people start playing the game & see so many icons in front of them unsure of who to pick.

EDIT: Plot twist. Ganondorf is random.:denzel:

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Main: :4villager:

Sub: :4charizard:

Problem is, I play as a lot of characters so honestly I'm not sure.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm not sure what my main will be. In Brawl, I was really into Kirby, but honestly I love using the random button. It always creates a new surprise, and I love playing each character...except for Jigglypuff. I hate Jigglypuff. But again, my personal favorites so far are Greninja, Little Mac, and Mega Man, though Shulk looks epic too.
I'll pardon you hating my main by the fact that in Brawl she was made almost unusable by Brawl's incredibly nerfing changes, much like Ganondorf who was already "clunky"

I honestly used Random a ton, character and stage, but kinda preferred how it worked in melee for three reasons.

a) I can un-random a character that I have already learned I am terrible at. :nessmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee: (:mewtwomelee: due to how difficult he is period).

b) I felt justified in moving from a character to their superior "clone" for me or the inverse. :falcomelee::luigimelee::marthmelee::linkmelee::ganondorfmelee::pikachumelee:

c) Being able to choose your color. If I random default :gw: and end up on Mario Bros. or god forbid :75M: , for example, it is such a hassle trying to find myself.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You can use Melee's random in Brawl too if you want to know which character you'll end up using before the match.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I agree about Shulk.
Regarding Jigglypuff, I felt the same way about Olimar...
Just...no...I don't do characters with no recoveries...

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
c) Being able to choose your color. If I random default :gw: and end up on Mario Bros. or god forbid :75M: , for example, it is such a hassle trying to find myself.
75M was in Melee. . . ?!?!?!?!?
But no worries. There's highlighted outlines of color with the addition to change to a default color you like looking at so you won't get hassled or lost!:shades:

It's team battle specific, but Random Team Battles are a thing I guess.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Main: :4palutena:
Secondaries: :4zelda::4zss:
I'll be using a lot more characters than that, but they will absolutely be my most used. And Dixie Kong may compete with Palutena.

Edit: Fixed my grammar. Can't deal with autocorrect.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Jiggly is kawaii to the max tbh. I'm eggspecting some great things to come for her in SSB4 & 5. I can't wait to find out of anything new she acquired.:)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Jeez there's gonna be alot of people I would most likely main...

:4bowser:(Bowser Jr):4charizard::4dk::4fox::4greninja::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4peach::4pikachu::4sheik:

It's.....it's too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom