• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The only possible DLC I could care about in Mario Kart would be Doc Louis in his bycicle, Excitebiker, Tatanga in his spaceship, or Mach Rider. :p

But I hope this means well for SSB DLC!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I could see trophies being ignored for playable characters, but having Assist Trophies and playable characters would be weird.

Even though most of the best candidates for playable characters are Assist Trophies.

(Midna and Ghirahim, for starters)

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I could see trophies being ignored for playable characters, but having Assist Trophies and playable characters would be weird.

Even though most of the best candidates for playable characters are Assist Trophies.

(Midna and Ghirahim, for starters)
They could... "upgrade" them, maybe. I mean, if you purchase the Ghirahim pack, Ghirahim stops showing up as an Assist Trophy but you can choose him as a playable character. I'd really love to see that happen, a lot of ATs could be really cool characters: Waluigi, Midna, Ghirahim, Takamaru, Dillon...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
They could... "upgrade" them, maybe. I mean, if you purchase the Ghirahim pack, Ghirahim stops showing up as an Assist Trophy but you can choose him as a playable character. I'd really love to see that happen, a lot of ATs could be really cool characters: Waluigi, Midna, Ghirahim, Takamaru, Dillon...
I don't know, I don't like cutting content for new content.
Another idea:

You buy the Bonus character's DLC, and their Assist Trophy is replaced by a clone similar to the ones in The Subspace Emissary in the Great Maze.

Best of both worlds.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Another idea:

You buy the Bonus character's DLC, and their Assist Trophy is replaced by a clone similar to the ones in The Subspace Emissary in the Great Maze.

Best of both worlds.
The other option is that, when you use that character, the AT doesn't appear in that match.

Still, it would be weird to have Ghirahim as an opponent one match and having him appear as an AT on the next one.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The other option is that, when you use that character, the AT doesn't appear in that match.

Still, it would be weird to have Ghirahim as an opponent one match and having him appear as an AT on the next one.
Personally, I'd rather they do it like this:

ANY playable character can appear as an Assist Trophy if they're not playable in the current match. Frankly I think this probably should've been the case to begin with. But that's not going to happen, so yeah, no point in talking about it right now.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Best case scenario:
All playable characters get their own Assist Trophy. When they are in use, a cosmic clone stands in for the AT.

By extension, a number of new playable characters previously Assisting are made.

The only thing I see wrong with this is that its too good to be true.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Personally, I'd rather they do it like this:

ANY playable character can appear as an Assist Trophy if they're not playable in the current match. Frankly I think this probably should've been the case to begin with. But that's not going to happen, so yeah, no point in talking about it right now.
Best case scenario:
All playable characters get their own Assist Trophy. When they are in use, a cosmic clone stands in for the AT.

By extension, a number of new playable characters previously Assisting are made.

Yep, this is a really good idea. Not going to happen, but a really good idea nonetheless.

It'd be fun to summon Mario in the middle of a fight.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
At this point, I don't care anymore about who is in and who is out (Adeleine is 99% not in, so I will use Kirby again). I just want to know who are the remaining characters, so I can finally sleep. I'm obsessed by the wait, this game is really ruining my life :054:

At least Kirby looks better in this Smash, maybe I have the chance to fight as a medium/high tier and not as a useless character.
I'd really like to play as Dedede also, but in Brawl it was so bad... at least, the few times that I played as him it looked bad, very slow and bad overall.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Best case scenario:

I heard of a mode that you could fight assists like Classic. This would give PM a chance to make
  • Ashley
  • Chain Chomp
  • Color TV-Game 15
  • Dark Samus
  • Dillon
  • Elec Man
  • Ghirahim
  • Isabelle
  • Magnus
  • Midna
  • Mother Brain
  • Nightmare
  • Phosphora
  • Prince Sable
  • Skull Kid
  • Takamaru
    • Andross
    • Devil
    • Dr. Wright
    • Hammer Bro.
    • Knuckle Joe
    • Lakitu and Spinies
    • Lyn
    • Metroid
    • Nintendog
    • Saki Amamiya
    • Samurai Goroh
    • Shadow the Hedgehog
    • Starfy
    • Tingle
    • Waluigi
    Playable.
Just food for thought, does anyone think that Paper Mario will be ingame instead of Doc? Same with DHD and Mach Rider, and Jr. for Geno or Toad or Daisy or a Pokemon or Zelda rep?

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
So with the lack of villains, I'm wondering...

Who are they charging at?

Wario, Grandpadorf, Bowser, Bowser Jr, Ridley, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Movie #1 Mewtwo, Wolf ?
:troll:

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That Smash 3DS boxart...

Lucina wasn't going the wrong way. She was with the Smash Bros army.

ALL THIS TIME

Last edited:

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
I posted this in another thread but in gonna post it here instead, it seems more relevant here

Okay I may be grasping at straws here BUT... Has anyone considered that fact that Bowser Jr has 1 icon on the screen and has 7(?) alts to choose from. Couldn't this happen with other characters? Could possibly when you choose Jigglypuff you could choose a Squirtle/Ivysaur alt? That's really only an example but couldn't possibly ANY of the characters in the leaked roster be another 1 of 7 alts?

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
I posted this in another thread but in gonna post it here instead, it seems more relevant here

Okay I may be grasping at straws here BUT... Has anyone considered that fact that Bowser Jr has 1 icon on the screen and has 7(?) alts to choose from. Couldn't this happen with other characters? Could possibly when you choose Jigglypuff you could choose a Squirtle/Ivysaur alt? That's really only an example but couldn't possibly ANY of the characters in the leaked roster be another 1 of 7 alts?
The thing is, the moveset is the same. So, unless we see a Squirtle using Rollout or Sing, we're not gonna see this happen. But yeah, apparently there's an Alph alt. for Olimar, so that fits with what you're saying

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

...Well squirtle isn't Jigglypuff. The koopalings just have to sit inside the Clown Car. Alts are just textrues, they don't affect gameplay

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
...Well squirtle isn't Jigglypuff. The koopalings just have to sit inside the Clown Car. Alts are just textrues, they don't affect gameplay
Technically they are models and potentially voices, not just textures. Changing just the textures, as far as I'm aware, just makes it a pure recolor. To make a full alt like that they need to actually create an entirely new model, and in some cases, record new voices.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Thanks for the mental image of Ivysaur playing exactly like Jigglypuff.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Squirtle.... as a Jigglypuff Alt
I think you need to rethink what you're trying to say here

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Technically they are models and potentially voices, not just textures. Changing just the textures, as far as I'm aware, just makes it a pure recolor. To make a full alt like that they need to actually create an entirely new model, and in some cases, record new voices.
I guess it depends on the alt. You can retexture a model, or you can import over a boneset, you're probably more accurate with true alts I suppose.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well if you get right down to it, that has already happened in the transition between Brawl and Smash 4. Little Mac won't be appearing as an assist trophy in Smash Bros 4 because he's now playable. That is content that has been cut for new content.

Only big difference with dlc is that it would occur within the same iteration of Smash Bros rather than during the transition from one iteration to the next.

Even then they could always just make it so a dlc characters assist trophy doesn't appear when that character is battling. We've already seen that kind of behaviour in the game already.

Also if somebody really cares for a particular assist trophy I don't really see why they wouldn't be happy it was cut in favour of them actually becoming playable.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
I never really liked the Ice Climbers so seeing them cut doesn't bother me too much, however I know a lot of people on here that really like them so it's a shame to see a pretty stable character cut. I've said before that I thought they'd be cut for technical reasons, but I didn't think I'd actually be right.
I figured something like this would of happened the minute I saw they were making a 3DS version.

And then Sakurai admitting he had problem with them was the nail in the coffin for me.

I'm not angry at Ice Climber's exclusion because I was a fan or whatever (never really used them). I'm angry because a unique and prevalent fighter was removed due to technical limitations that never existed prior on far older hardware. :facepalm:

[/salt for a character I never cared for prior]

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well if you get right down to it, that has already happened in the transition between Brawl and Smash 4. Little Mac won't be appearing as an assist trophy in Smash Bros 4 because he's now playable. That is content that has been cut for new content.

Only big difference with dlc is that it would occur within the same iteration of Smash Bros rather than during the transition from one iteration to the next.

Even then they could always just make it so a dlc characters assist trophy doesn't appear when that character is battling. We've already seen that kind of behaviour in the game already.

Also if somebody really cares for a particular assist trophy I don't really see why they wouldn't be happy it was cut in favour of them actually becoming playable.
Frankly I think Sakurai wouldn't include characters as AT's or Stage Hazards or whatever at all if the possibility of DLC is there. Based on what we've seen, he's drawing AT's from established franchises that are less likely to be made playable later as a whole. If he adds a new franchise as an AT he just uses the main character, though.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Frankly I think Sakurai wouldn't include characters as AT's or Stage Hazards or whatever at all if the possibility of DLC is there. Based on what we've seen, he's drawing AT's from established franchises that are less likely to be made playable later as a whole. If he adds a new franchise as an AT he just uses the main character, though.
What proof do we actually have of this?

When it comes to what Sakurai would and wouldn't do, I'm not that sure....

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I'm gonna come out and say it. I'm happy the Ice Climbers were cut. I liked them as a character, but I'd rather the dev team abandon a doomed project and work on making the other 99% of the game better, than sit around a derp about how to make this one character work. That being said I think the entire idea of a 3DS smash was a waste of time and they should have just built a kickbutt WiiU version with Ice Climbers in tact, but if they had to make a 3DS version, then I'm glad they moved on to other things.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What proof do we actually have of this?

When it comes to what Sakurai would and wouldn't do, I'm not that sure....
Just based on everything we've seen so far. We haven't seen a single DK AT, and the only potential AT we know of is Chunky Kong... but if they aren't playable, the first choices for a DK AT would be Dixie or K. Rool, in theory.

Nothing at all hints at a Kirby newcomer, but Bandana Dee has not been shown as an AT, despite being who most would consider the most likely new character from Kirby. Similarly, Nightmare was choices before a more recurring Kirby villain, Magalor, who is also more popular as a whole.

The Kid Icarus AT's so far are Phosphora and Magnus, no signs of Medusa or Hades, despite the fact that they, in theory, would be more likely to be playable as a whole. (Dark Pit is just a reskin made into a separate character.)

All the Zelda AT's are popularly requested one-off characters and one recurring character with a HUGELY divided fanbase.

Metroid's AT's are major antagonists, but the only one of which who could possibly be playable is Dark Samus. And let's face it, if Metroid were to get a new playable character, it'd be Ridley.

Oddly enough, rather than Protoman or Bass, they made Mega Man's AT Elecman of all characters. Protoman would fit perfectly well as a Mega Man alt, though (except for his shield).

The only FE AT to date is Lyn, but FE doesn't really add playable characters from older games unfortunately...

Mario and Wario's AT's aren't any better. Waluigi, frankly, was never really all that plausible.

I dunno, its just a trend I noticed, but I could be wrong. I highly doubt any AT's will be removed and made playable through DLC.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm gonna come out and say it. I'm happy the Ice Climbers were cut. I liked them as a character, but I'd rather the dev team abandon a doomed project and work on making the other 99% of the game better, than sit around a derp about how to make this one character work. That being said I think the entire idea of a 3DS smash was a waste of time and they should have just built a kickbutt WiiU version with Ice Climbers in tact, but if they had to make a 3DS version, then I'm glad they moved on to other things.
This is precisely what my sister believed, she did not want Sakurai to spend time on the Ice Climbers only to result in their lackluster return or unnecessary changes that materially alter their purpose on the roster. She figured it would be best to just remove them at the first sign of trouble and work towards adding another character that will be deemed a "Smash classic" within the next two or three games. Yes, we do assume that Nintendo is going to treat a triple a title like Smash just like their other triple a titles. Sue us.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
This is precisely what my sister believed, she did not want Sakurai to spend time on the Ice Climbers only to result in their lackluster return or unnecessary changes that materially alter their purpose on the roster. She figured it would be best to just remove them at the first sign of trouble and work towards adding another character that will be deemed a "Smash classic" within the next two or three games. Yes, we do assume that Nintendo is going to treat a triple a title like Smash just like their other triple a titles. Sue us.
I mean, we don't know how long they spent working on the climbers, and we may never (unless someone backcodes and finds a lot of data like for the forbidden seven) but considering Sakurai said they were 'working on it' indicates they spent some amount of extra time. Maybe the time it could have taken to port over and tweak lucas or wolf perhaps? Not likely, but if that were the case, and they were scrapped from the start and we got one of those two, maybe everyone would complain less. Just a thought

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
When it all comes together about Ice Climbers, I would ultimately be happy if they didn't even return as DLC for WiiU. Without changes to their move-set to remove their mechanically-grab-inclined game-play, I wouldn't want them to come back either. I've already played Smash64 since I was a kid, playing every Smash Brothers title, & by far playing against most characters in the casts of the Smash titles, Ice Climbers was the one character I had no joy of even playing against.

It's painful to see cuts, but Ice Climbers is the one I wanted to see the most. Please understand that I play Smash Brothers in a competitive manner; I get my filling of fun playing any Smash title. I much prefer Rosaluma's game-play more than IC's twofold, which is why she can be the spiritual successor to ICs to me.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
When it all comes together about Ice Climbers, I would ultimately be happy if they didn't even return as DLC for WiiU. Without changes to their move-set to remove their mechanically-grab-inclined game-play, I wouldn't want them to come back either. I've already played Smash64 since I was a kid, playing every Smash Brothers title, & by far playing against most characters in the casts of the Smash titles, Ice Climbers was the one character I had no joy of even playing against.

It's painful to see cuts, but Ice Climbers is the one I wanted to see the most. Please understand that I play Smash Brothers in a competitive manner; I get my filling of fun playing any Smash title. I much prefer Rosaluma's game-play more than IC's twofold, which is why she can be the spiritual successor to ICs to me.
What if Rosalina is just as dominant and continually locks you in inescapable combos with Luma? :troll:
You thought the nightmare was over? It's just beginning.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
What if Rosalina is just as dominant and continually locks you in inescapable combos with Luma? :troll:
You thought the nightmare was over? It's just beginning.
I forget about "puppet" play-styles throughout fighting game titles. Puppet fighting characters especially from the Naruto games, prove that inescapable combos can eggsist.:4yoshi:

DARN YOU KRYSTAL:scared:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I forget about "puppet" play-styles throughout fighting game titles. Puppet fighting characters especially from the Naruto games, prove that inescapable combos can eggsist.:4yoshi:

DARN YOU KRYSTAL:scared:
is there no end to your uneggceptable egg jokes

I can easily see R&L becoming the new IC, though.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
is there no end to your uneggceptable egg jokes

I can easily see R&L becoming the new IC, though.
I have inputted "uneggceptable" in my egg puns list on my NotePad saved to my desktop.:troll: Your contribution is much obliged.

Perhaps DHD is the true successor to ICs, due to "Muh Retro" & "Muh Duo".

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I have inputted "uneggceptable" in my egg puns list on my NotePad saved to my desktop.:troll: Your contribution is much obliged.

Perhaps DHD is the true successor to ICs, due to "Muh Retro" & "Muh Duo".
WAIT NO I DIDNT MEAN THAT GAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Serious note: Possible Ness reveal tomorrow? Apparently it's EarthBound's birthday or something. Meta Knight was also revealed on a Wednesday.

Who am I kidding about reveals, the roster is almost fully leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom