• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Considering BowserJr. is getting 7 alts of the other koopalings, then why not stop there & see Dry Bowser & Dark Bowser too. Shadow Mario, Fire Mario, Tanooki Mario, & more. Luigi, Peach, & Rosalina can all get potential costumes too, more Mario!
Goddamn it, is Toad literally going to be the only character from the Mario series that isn't playable as either a character in his own right or a remodelled alt?

C'mooooon Amiibo DLC.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Guess I'll post the "eh" 4chan info her so that morning goers have more to discuss. G'night all.

Not from me, but from a supposed NoA employee. Chose to reveal as little about himself as possible, just because what happened with the recent leaker, which he says is HUGE deal right now. I bolded the big stuff.

"- The leak is legit, which I think is common sense by now.

- There are in fact FOUR characters left to be revealed, three newcomers and one veteran.
Ridley - unlocked by going through classic mode 10 times on any difficulty with Samus or Zero Suit Samus OR win a match on Pyrosphere as Samus or Zero Suit Samus (Wii U)
Isabelle - you unlock her when you summon her assist trophy while playing as Villager OR summon her assist trophy 10 times total
Dixie Kong - unlock her by playing 5 team matches with Diddy Kong as either player OR complete Smash Run as Diddy Kong
Mewtwo - 20 hours total play time in versus mode or 500 total versus mode matches

- Here's how you unlock the other characters shown in the leak.
Bowser Jr. - achieve a high score of 50,000 OR higher is Target blast as Bowser or complete Classic Mode on any intensity
Duck Hunt - get a perfect clear on Target Blast with every character OR play 250 total versus mode matches
Dr. Mario - complete Classic Mode or Smash Run with Mario without losing any continues OR play 100 total versus mode matches
Dark Pit - lose 10 matches (any mode) while playing as Pit OR lose the finale of Smash Run while playing as Pit
Shulk - complete Smash Run on the highest intensity while playing as R.O.B. OR complete classic mode once as each newcomer (rosalina, palutena, robin, lucina, little mac, greninja, villager, wii fit trainer

- Snake is cut, but he and Gray Fox do have trophies

- Isabelle is a Villager clone with a few differences. Her Down Special grows a fruit tree that bears and drops fruit instead of letting you chop it down for instance. Dash Attack she comically trips, letting fly a barrage of papers that stagger but do little damage. Nintendo is pushing to make her and Villager the faces of Animal Crossing, as is further shown with the new MK8 DLC.

- On Ridley. It's a new model, but mostly based on the Other M design but in smaller and in flight. He looks more like a gargoyle or something flying. Side Special is a swoop that passes through opponents and makes him face the opposite direction after it ends. If you use it again back that direction without the ending lag. Down Smash he floats into the air with his tail pointing downward then slams down, implanting anyone hit. Forward Aerial is a flip kind of like Charizard's Neutral Aerial from Brawl. He plays like Wolf, but using the same new always airborne mechanic that Bowser Jr. does. he looks great. hes flying mostly upright, with his arms and legs in a semi-crouched position, tail twitching behind him. hes the stage boss. he just enters in a cut-scene attacking whichever player is "winning" the match and then stays to fight one stock. Sakurai is aware that he is highly requested in the west, thats why he is being treated this way.

- Unless there is future DLC, as of right now, Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wolf are cut for good.

- Isaac is once again an AT, the same as he was before.

- Details on Duck Hunt's gameplay
The dog runs on all fours with one duck circling above. They take turns performing moves. Up Special the duck starts flapping and leaves the dog behind, he has to jump up and bite onto its feathers to be lifted up. Down Special the dog sniffs the ground and gets an exclamation mark over its head, letting it move faster while running toward the nearest opponent at the time. The effect goes away after a few moments. Side Special the dog rears up on its hind legs and motions with its paw, sending a different duck divebombing forward. It pierces through opponents and flies back. If it hits nothing the duck sticks up in the ground on its beak and has to be recollected to use the move again. Neutral Special a bush sprouts up at the location. Pressing B again lets you hide in it. While hidden a cursor appears letting you fire in a certain radius. If the bush is attacked a few times it disperses and reveals you. You can only have one bush on-stage at a time. Final smash is like the above, but with a much larger radius and firework effects as it ends.

- Mach Rider is a trophy and Impa isn't in the game at all to my knowledge.

- DLC isn't being discussed right now, or if it is, it's being kept very secretly. The plan right now is to worry about DLC after release.

- Hades (basically Tabuu reskin) is the final boss of classic mode on the highest intensity

- Dr. Mario's Final Smash is a slower thinner copy of Mario's and Mewtwo's is Mega Mewtwo Y, just a powered up form like Lucario's Mega Evolution.

- There isn't a Rhythm Heaven rep, no clue why every fake leak seems to be pushing them so much. A Rhythm Heaven character was considered but that was an amalgamation thing and never made it very far. The Sneaky Spirits are in Smash Run because Sakurai wanted more handheld enemies. There are also enemies from Tomato Adventure and For the Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls.

- Dixie is a Diddy clone with a few differences. She uses her hair for a few moves and is a little slower.

- Sakurai doesn't consider any characters clones at all. They are attribute swaps. Easy to make characters that buff up the roster without as much man hours.

- No info on reveal dates, not my department."
Don't buy this leak, although I could see Dixie getting that treatment. If any character should start as an AT but be unlockable it'd probably be Isaac, and he's even got plenty of characters to replace his AT. I doubt we're getting a Rhythm Heaven rep as well. Impa not being in the game at all? I don't buy it, she'd AT LEAST get a trophy. Isabelle? Yeah, she was probably included in this "leak" due to MK8.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Isabelle instantly makes that "leak" fake. Shame, too. I could have totally believed it otherwise.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Isabelle instantly makes that "leak" fake. Shame, too. I could have totally believed it otherwise.
Sadly I could have to, even though if any AT has the capability of being unlocked as playable it shouldn't been Isaac. Impa also kinda kills it for me, no way Sakurai wouldn't at least give Impa a trophy based on Skyward Sword.

Asteiri

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-4598-6259
Considering BowserJr. is getting 7 alts of the other koopalings, then why not stop there & see Dry Bowser & Dark Bowser too. Shadow Mario, Fire Mario, Tanooki Mario, & more. Luigi, Peach, & Rosalina can all get potential costumes too, more Mario!
This isn't proven yet. That's like saying all Pikachu's cosplay's will be confirmed (which is even more unlikely).

Also Ridley will probably never get confirmed, he's too bizarre of a character. They would have to change the entire play style of the game just to fit Ridley, and even if he got in he would probably be banned at every single tournament because he'd b so much more broken than Meta Knight. Also I'm not exactly a Metroid fan (never played a game) but isn't he massive? Like I get Bowser is obviously also big but even scaled down slightly his proportions still seem correct. If Ridley got scaled down to be a big character, it would feel very bizarre. He's also iconic as a boss, and I dunno, I feel he should just keep it like that.

I'm going to stick to assuming Ridley's just a boss, but heck, if he's playable I'll laugh to myself and wonder what I was so wrong about.

Although I can no longer find pictures of it, I'm going to assume the leaked Roster with Duck Hunt Dog, Shulk, Bowser Jr and whatnot is the real thing.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think these leaks are beginning to try and test our gullibility to the extreme. Isabelle; starts as an assist and then unlocks to a playable? Uh huh.

Whilst we're at it;

Use the Toad shield to counter 3 attacks from Bowser as Peach and he becomes playable.

Unleash Meowth from his pokeball as Pikachu and unlock him as a playable character! Dat's Right!

Summon Samurai Goroh as Captain Falcon to begin the intense rivalry between the two!

WOW GUYS. I JUST GOT MY THREE MOST WANTED FOR SSB4.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
This isn't proven yet. That's like saying all Pikachu's cosplay's will be confirmed (which is even more unlikely).
Hypothetically speaking as if that's true & will happen
I was going off on a hypothetical tangent and didn't mean to express full belief for it.
Goddamn it, is Toad literally going to be the only character from the Mario series that isn't playable as either a character in his own right or a remodelled alt?

C'mooooon Amiibo DLC.
I feel for you. Cheers to the future DLC that may be Captain Toad. We need more captains.:4falcon::4olimar:
Ever since Melee, :4peach: has prevented Toad from ever becoming playable. .

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
With the type of DLC in Mario Kart 8 happening, I think it is becoming increasingly likely for DLC to show up in Smash 4. Granted, it'll probably be a while after release and I'm fine with the roster as is.

I can totally see themed packs to go with Smash 4. Like maybe a helper pack that includes Toad and Bandana Dee, or a villains pack that includes Wolf, and some other villain isn't already in Smash. K.Rool doesn't seem to be in any leaks. Him I guess. All of these would most likely come with stages as well.

That doesn't mean this stuff will happen. I just find it highly likely that we will start getting DLC someday because of the recent Mario Kart 8 news.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Also Ridley will probably never get confirmed, he's too bizarre of a character. They would have to change the entire play style of the game just to fit Ridley, and even if he got in he would probably be banned at every single tournament because he'd b so much more broken than Meta Knight. Also I'm not exactly a Metroid fan (never played a game) but isn't he massive? Like I get Bowser is obviously also big but even scaled down slightly his proportions still seem correct. If Ridley got scaled down to be a big character, it would feel very bizarre. He's also iconic as a boss, and I dunno, I feel he should just keep it like that.

I'm going to stick to assuming Ridley's just a boss, but heck, if he's playable I'll laugh to myself and wonder what I was so wrong about.

Although I can no longer find pictures of it, I'm going to assume the leaked Roster with Duck Hunt Dog, Shulk, Bowser Jr and whatnot is the real thing.
Friend I am going to have to direct you to the Ridley Thread and it's very helpful second post

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Doesn't matter. From here on in in terms of Smash speculation, Waluigi should be treated as a Wario series character because that is what Sakurai considered him.
What

That makes no sense. Waluigi is a Wario character because Sakurai said so? Nope, screw that. I'm siding with the Wario developers who have never used the character in any way.

Also for all we know that could have been an error in the Smash Direct.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I know they were semi-clones and all that, but Lucas and Wolf were actually my second and third favorite new comers in Brawl (after Pit.) The cuts hurt me more then anything else in the leak roster.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

The feels you guys.
Why? Someone posted this in the social thread. WHY DID YOU MAKE ME READ IT TWICE? With the music??

Meanwhile...
*Fox and Falco are chilling on Tortimer's Island sitting in beach chairs and sipping martinis.*

Fox: "Hey Falco."

Falco: "Eh?"

Fox: "Where's Wolf?"

Falco: "He got cut or something."

Fox: "Sweet."

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
I know they were semi-clones and all that, but Lucas and Wolf were actually my second and third favorite new comers in Brawl (after Pit.) The cuts hurt me more then anything else in the leak roster.
I won't miss Lucas a ton outside of Mother going back to only one rep, but I will absolutely miss Wolf; I liked playing as him way more than the other Star Fox characters, and I think that series does deserve 3 reps. Of course, this is assuming they're actually even cut, but I feel they will be...

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I really liked Lucas. I played as both him and Ness quite a bit and they really didn't feel anything alike. I'll miss him.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Lucas and Ivysor were one of my mains in Brawl :drsad: and Wolf was my brother main :dr-_-:, so yeah i'm pretty sad they are gone (i don't really care about :squirtle:)

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I've never actively played any of the characters that are rumored to be cut, but I hate seeing cuts made in general so I'm pretty sad to see them go. I guess we can hope that any character that was cut may have a chance through DLC.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm pretty sure none of these characters are actually confirmed cut, though, so...
Yeah, that's why I mentioned rumored cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if Ice Climbers and Wolf we're still there while another few slots go to newcomers we have yet to see. Anything is still possible.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Guess I'll post the "eh" 4chan info her so that morning goers have more to discuss. G'night all.

Not from me, but from a supposed NoA employee. Chose to reveal as little about himself as possible, just because what happened with the recent leaker, which he says is HUGE deal right now. I bolded the big stuff.

"- The leak is legit, which I think is common sense by now.

- There are in fact FOUR characters left to be revealed, three newcomers and one veteran.
Ridley - unlocked by going through classic mode 10 times on any difficulty with Samus or Zero Suit Samus OR win a match on Pyrosphere as Samus or Zero Suit Samus (Wii U)
Isabelle - you unlock her when you summon her assist trophy while playing as Villager OR summon her assist trophy 10 times total
Dixie Kong - unlock her by playing 5 team matches with Diddy Kong as either player OR complete Smash Run as Diddy Kong
Mewtwo - 20 hours total play time in versus mode or 500 total versus mode matches

- Here's how you unlock the other characters shown in the leak.
Bowser Jr. - achieve a high score of 50,000 OR higher is Target blast as Bowser or complete Classic Mode on any intensity
Duck Hunt - get a perfect clear on Target Blast with every character OR play 250 total versus mode matches
Dr. Mario - complete Classic Mode or Smash Run with Mario without losing any continues OR play 100 total versus mode matches
Dark Pit - lose 10 matches (any mode) while playing as Pit OR lose the finale of Smash Run while playing as Pit
Shulk - complete Smash Run on the highest intensity while playing as R.O.B. OR complete classic mode once as each newcomer (rosalina, palutena, robin, lucina, little mac, greninja, villager, wii fit trainer

- Snake is cut, but he and Gray Fox do have trophies

- Isabelle is a Villager clone with a few differences. Her Down Special grows a fruit tree that bears and drops fruit instead of letting you chop it down for instance. Dash Attack she comically trips, letting fly a barrage of papers that stagger but do little damage. Nintendo is pushing to make her and Villager the faces of Animal Crossing, as is further shown with the new MK8 DLC.

- On Ridley. It's a new model, but mostly based on the Other M design but in smaller and in flight. He looks more like a gargoyle or something flying. Side Special is a swoop that passes through opponents and makes him face the opposite direction after it ends. If you use it again back that direction without the ending lag. Down Smash he floats into the air with his tail pointing downward then slams down, implanting anyone hit. Forward Aerial is a flip kind of like Charizard's Neutral Aerial from Brawl. He plays like Wolf, but using the same new always airborne mechanic that Bowser Jr. does. he looks great. hes flying mostly upright, with his arms and legs in a semi-crouched position, tail twitching behind him. hes the stage boss. he just enters in a cut-scene attacking whichever player is "winning" the match and then stays to fight one stock. Sakurai is aware that he is highly requested in the west, thats why he is being treated this way.

- Unless there is future DLC, as of right now, Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wolf are cut for good.

- Isaac is once again an AT, the same as he was before.

- Details on Duck Hunt's gameplay
The dog runs on all fours with one duck circling above. They take turns performing moves. Up Special the duck starts flapping and leaves the dog behind, he has to jump up and bite onto its feathers to be lifted up. Down Special the dog sniffs the ground and gets an exclamation mark over its head, letting it move faster while running toward the nearest opponent at the time. The effect goes away after a few moments. Side Special the dog rears up on its hind legs and motions with its paw, sending a different duck divebombing forward. It pierces through opponents and flies back. If it hits nothing the duck sticks up in the ground on its beak and has to be recollected to use the move again. Neutral Special a bush sprouts up at the location. Pressing B again lets you hide in it. While hidden a cursor appears letting you fire in a certain radius. If the bush is attacked a few times it disperses and reveals you. You can only have one bush on-stage at a time. Final smash is like the above, but with a much larger radius and firework effects as it ends.

- Mach Rider is a trophy and Impa isn't in the game at all to my knowledge.

- DLC isn't being discussed right now, or if it is, it's being kept very secretly. The plan right now is to worry about DLC after release.

- Hades (basically Tabuu reskin) is the final boss of classic mode on the highest intensity

- Dr. Mario's Final Smash is a slower thinner copy of Mario's and Mewtwo's is Mega Mewtwo Y, just a powered up form like Lucario's Mega Evolution.

- There isn't a Rhythm Heaven rep, no clue why every fake leak seems to be pushing them so much. A Rhythm Heaven character was considered but that was an amalgamation thing and never made it very far. The Sneaky Spirits are in Smash Run because Sakurai wanted more handheld enemies. There are also enemies from Tomato Adventure and For the Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls.

- Dixie is a Diddy clone with a few differences. She uses her hair for a few moves and is a little slower.

- Sakurai doesn't consider any characters clones at all. They are attribute swaps. Easy to make characters that buff up the roster without as much man hours.

- No info on reveal dates, not my department."
I'm calling fake on this. Isabelle being AT and playable seems pretty much weird

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This leak is bogus.
Why would you unlock a character by going through Classic Mode with the same character ten times??
And also, Isabelle being playable? Of all the Assist Trophies to randomly become playable...Isabelle?

Then again, considering how skeptical I am of this, by logic, it must be true.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
Wow, it's like people aren't even trying anymore with the fake leaks. Stage hazard AND assist trophy are also playable? Let me guess, when you play as them, Alfonzo takes their place.

Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I'm calling fake on this. Isabelle being AT and playable seems pretty much weird
I agree with you here

I'm just going to bring this up again...

View attachment 23191

My prediction. I have no basis for Impa or Chorus Kids, they're just there.
Well... i'm pretty sure IC and Snake will be cut, IMO Lucas and Wolf still have a chance but they will most likely be cut too, also... i don't think we are going to get Impa (If we get Impa we won't get Chorus Kid)

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

View attachment 23191

I think the cuts are real, so I don't find those 4 likely obviously. Something tells me Ridley isn't in. Kids and Impa I'm ify on, espicially chorus kids, but Dixie's on it so that's cool.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

View attachment 23191

Literally the only thing I would want to add to that roster is Isaac, and then it would be perfect. I would be ecstatic with those characters, but I think it's a bit of wishful thinking.

Guess we'll know for sure in two weeks.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
I really liked Lucas. I played as both him and Ness quite a bit and they really didn't feel anything alike. I'll miss him.
I agree. Lucas was my main character in Brawl and I'm sad to see he might not make it back.

I'm also sad to see Wolf and the Ice Climbers might not be back as well. I'm annoyed that these 3 characters might not make it back when Dr. Mario and Dark Pit make it in to the roster. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I think the cuts are real, so I don't find those 4 likely obviously. Something tells me Ridley isn't in. Kids and Impa I'm ify on, espicially chorus kids, but Dixie's on it so that's cool.
I agree, i'm pretty sure the cuts are real (maybe Wolf and/or Lucas could be saved but i don't think so), i also think that Ridley won't be in (sadly) and i'm also ify with Impa but i'm pretty sure the Chorus Kids are comming

I agree. Lucas was my main character in Brawl and I'm sad to see he might not make it back.

I'm also sad to see Wolf and the Ice Climbers might not be back as well. I'm annoyed that these 3 characters might not make it back when Dr. Mario and Dark Pit make it in to the roster. It just doesn't make sense to me.
You're not the only one who think that way (well i understand why the IC are getting axed but IMO there's no reason for Lucas and Wolf to be axed) >.>

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Even though I hate the cuts I'm not mad at the new clones. They were likely last minute characters added with existing assets, it's not like Lucas or Wolf could have been added the same way. Unless Lucas and Wolf end up being costumes.....then I'll be mad.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Even though I hate the cuts I'm not mad at the new clones. They were likely last minute characters added with existing assets, it's not like Lucas or Wolf could have been added the same way. Unless Lucas and Wolf end up being costumes.....then I'll be mad.
I like clones too, except from Ganondorf.(he shouldn't be a clone) I love Lucina however I dislike Dr Mario and Dark Pit as clones because, in my opinion they would work best as alternate costumes.

I still hope Lucas, Wolf and the Ice Climber can be DLC if they are not on the initial roster.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Wolf: I can live without Wolf, but I preferred him over Falco as I thought he brought more to the table. I honestly thought Wolf should come back before Falco, but that's very debatable and personal.

Squirtle and Ivysaur: They are the two that I really don't want to see cut the most. They were completely unique and are very iconic. I wished they just fixed the Pokémon Trainer instead of just cutting him. At least I still have my favorite Pokémon though.

Lucas: I didn't care for Lucas in the first place, but he was my best friend's favorite character. So that's why I didn't want to see him cut.

Snake: I was never excited about his inclusion. I didn't grow up with a Playstation so I didn't even know MGS at the time. I also do not like his playstyle. The only thing I can honestly say is that he was a very unique character but I don't really care that he's most likely cut.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You need to cut Lucas, Wolf, IC, and Snake if this a prediction.
I'm still not sure how people are SURE of the cuts if they are not completely sure if there are any other characters in the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom