• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I can't see Ice Climbers as a tag team being cut. It feels wrong.
I feel like Popo = 60 fps and Nana = 30 fps would work fine.
I feel like that would weird out hitboxes a bit. Not to mention one smooth and one choppy ice climber would look pretty silly.
(still would have been worth it to see them back)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Popo and Nana's models have half the tris a normal characters has. I'm pretty sure it's more of a design issue than a technical one.

I don't know what issue it is though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I feel like that would weird out hitboxes a bit. Not to mention one smooth and one choppy ice climber would look pretty silly.
(still would have been worth it to see them back)
Now that you mention that, I agree.
How about both Climbers move at 30fps? They are based on an NES game.

Plus, 30fps isn't really that choppy.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Plus, 30fps isn't really that choppy.
Depends. If a game is a stable 30fps, then that's pretty good all things considering.

On the other hand, it'll stick out like a sore thumb if one model is moving at 30fps and everything else at 60fps to the point that it'd be incredibly jarring. ATs are fine since they're brief.

Moreover, 30fps has more latency, so a playable character playing at 30fps would have a pretty big disadvantage.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I enjoy playing solo Popo or Nana because I enjoy a challenge when against friends. Of course if they were made solo, they'd be rebalanced to accommodate that. Which I wouldn't have a problem with because literally nobody else in the game has the ability to use ice except for Game & Watch's side special. So even just one Ice Climber would be unique in that regard.
I even play solo Olimar some times for fun- but I rarely win matches doing that.
That is truly just graphics. I want game play differences!
A solo Ice Climber would make me feel as though I'm constantly mourning a dead spouse.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know, if it weren't for the whole stupid "Bot version must have the same roster because muh fairness!" I wouldn't have minded the Ice Climbers being cut on the 3DS version as at least they would not be screwed over in terms of the Wii U version.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Popo and Nana's models have half the tris a normal characters has. I'm pretty sure it's more of a design issue than a technical one.

I don't know what issue it is though.
I think it's a problem of AI, since Melee already had them and the gamecube was less powerful than the 3DS. Probably the AI in this game is more complex, like it was already in Brawl (in Melee the CPU was very stupid), and in a match with 1 player and 3 CPU, everyone using Ice Climbers, probably the console wouldn't be able to handle 7 AIs.
That's probably why the Luma is not a problem, because it doesn't have an AI, it just does the same attacks as Rosalina.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think it's a problem of AI, since Melee already had them and the gamecube was less powerful than the 3DS. Probably the AI in this game is more complex, like it was already in Brawl (in Melee the CPU was very stupid), and in a match with 1 player and 3 CPU, everyone using Ice Climbers, probably the console wouldn't be able to handle 7 AIs.
That's probably why the Luma is not a problem, because it doesn't have an AI, it just does the same attacks as Rosalina.
Yeah that's possible.

Though there's a GAF post that I remember which explained that AI probably isn't an issue. That's where I got my info on Nana and Popo's models. I'll find it but it'll require digging up lol.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Man, it's really disappointing that Sakurai put pretty much no focus into adding villains into the roster. Yes, my bias for K. Rool might be speaking, but I really do feel that the roster could use more villains, regardless of whether or not K. Rool is ever included.
Well Bowser Jr. is a villain (is not K. Rool or Ridley) but is something

I'd prefer no Ice Climbers. I'm actually quite opposed to castrating Popo (ironically) by removing Nana.
I agree with you here

Note: Is kind of funny that we actually never agree when we talk about something, but thats mostly because when we talk we talk about Pokemon or Zelda :p

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I never really liked the Ice Climbers so seeing them cut doesn't bother me too much, however I know a lot of people on here that really like them so it's a shame to see a pretty stable character cut. I've said before that I thought they'd be cut for technical reasons, but I didn't think I'd actually be right.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I agree with you here

Note: Is kind of funny that we actually never agree when we talk about something, but thats mostly because when we talk we talk about Pokemon or Zelda :p
Well, it is simply because Pokemon should have Mewtwo, Sceptile, and Red (with Jiggs cut), and Zelda should have cut Toon Link and added Skull Kid, Impa, and Vaati. What is debatable about this :p

Other opinions: My big wants are usually to include more franchises. Sure, I want DK reps, and an almost impossible Boo, but I would love to see Isaac, Chibi Robo, Ray Mk, Andy, Chorus Kids, Muddy Mole, Lip, Balloon Fighter, and about three more third parties.

Though there's a GAF post that I remember which explained that AI probably isn't an issue. That's where I got my info on Nana and Popo's models. I'll find it but it'll require digging up lol.
I was just referencing these things! It was two posts; one on models, one on the behavior of the AI.

Morbi

Scavenger
I never really liked the Ice Climbers so seeing them cut doesn't bother me too much, however I know a lot of people on here that really like them so it's a shame to see a pretty stable character cut. I've said before that I thought they'd be cut for technical reasons, but I didn't think I'd actually be right.
I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly, I always asserted that it was a possibility, but I never believed that it would actually happen. Albeit, I have never been fond of the Ice Climbers until this very year. It took me over a decade to finally warm up to them... and now they are likely gone. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly, I always asserted that it was a possibility, but I never believed that it would actually happen. Albeit, I have never been fond of the Ice Climbers until this very year. It took me over a decade to finally warm up to them... and now they are likely gone. :ohwell:
Also if you fuse their colors you get a light purple, so there goes another purple character :c

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Agreed, @ Rockaphin Rockaphin and @ Morbi Morbi . I've never been a fan of their gameplay, and I've always wondered if they'd work out in the end (though I think it's kinda silly to "blame" the 3DS for holding the series back). I'm just sad that some other players may be losing their favorite, which is how I feel about any cut.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
My top three most newcomers for this installment was:

Paper Mario, with a decent lead. ✘
Villager, who I thought was a near shoe-in. ✔
King K. Rool, who I thought had a big chance at first, then a huge chance after seeing that Kritter trophy everywhere. ✘

So. . . I got one of my top three characters. 1/3 is a failing grade so waaaah. :p

Weeman

Smash Crusader

King K. Rool, who I thought had a big chance at first, then a huge chance after seeing that Kritter trophy everywhere. ✘

So. . . I got one of my top three characters. 1/3 is a failing grade so waaaah. :p
Cheer up though, we got Dark Pit! :grin:

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484

We don't know the full roster yet. There's still hope for K. Rool. Not so much for Paper Mario, though.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Eh if it makes you feel better from a boxer's viewpoint I HATE everything about Little Mac. I'm not liking the direction they're going with him either in terms of playstyle, but I'll save that until I properly get my hands on him.

The newcomers I'm really looking forward to are the ones I never knew I wanted, and one I never thought would get in.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Eh if it makes you feel better from a boxer's viewpoint I HATE everything about Little Mac. I'm not liking the direction they're going with him either in terms of playstyle, but I'll save that until I properly get my hands on him.

The newcomers I'm really looking forward to are the ones I never knew I wanted, and one I never thought would get in.
Well he's a boxer adapted to a game where most of the time you're jumping around. I don't know what you're talking about specifically, but I think they made a pretty good "adaptation".

And yes, I agree about the newcomers. I never thought Robin would make it into the game and there he/she is! It's probably the newcomer I'm most excited about!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think the Ice Climbers are perfect DLC characters. At least for Wii U. Really, I think ALL vets should get DLC (well, I don't really care about Pichu, Ivy, or Squirtle but whaterrr). If that happened, this roster would be phenomenal.

Plus Mewtwo of course.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Actually, I'm going to be completely honest: I think it's better for my ego Ghirahim's not in.
If he had been announced, there would been a lot of "I told you so's" and boasting.

Lucina and Robin on the other hand, filled me with complete, utter, pure happiness that cannot be matched by anything else.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

I'm not familiar with boxing. I recall you saying that you've earned a black belt in boxing, correct?

I'm not too sure how I feel about Little Mac honestly. He looks like he'd be fun to play as but I never really cared for Mac himself.

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
I was never really rooting for any character to be frank. Though I guess it's due I'm sort of new to the Smash speculation thing. But my favorites so far are Little Mac, Greninja, and Mega Man. The former two because Punch-Out Wii was addicting as heck, and Greninja was my starter for Pokemon Y. I never had an attachment to Mega Man previously, but he looks so sexy in gameplay. But that doesn't mean I hate any of the others. They all look like oodles of fun. Though I'm biased since Nintendo's one of those rare things that make me giddy like a little kid.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Would really like it if the Roster that was leaked had that initial DLC that was Rumored.
(Ice Climbers, Chorus Men, Snake, Lucas and Wolf)

I hate cuts in the game, and I am really glad to at least get Dr. Mario back from Melee.

I am really just baffled at the Ice Climbers being cut, if true, as, to me, they have become a staple of the series since melee.
I could understand them being released later as DLC to have more time to focus on getting other characters, stages and mechanics into the game in time for release. Maybe they will show up then.

Perhaps the Chorus Men fell into the same concept along the lines of technical difficulties.

Would love to see Snake in the Game, but it's a long shot. All I can use to justify that at this point is that a DLC would be released later on to either hype up MGSV (Keifer is voicing a fighting game) or DLC as a whole with a big third party character. However, not entirely sure that having a third party as DLC is a good move with licenses etc (Look at MvC3...they had to remove all dlc because Capcom's license with Marvel ran out and now that is no longer available (Jill and Samruah)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wish I had joined Smashboards right before E3 2013. My most wanted list bingo would have been like this:

I got Mega Man, Rosalina, Lucina, Robin, Little Mac, Lucario is back, and so forth.
I would be pretty satisfied and pretty accurate.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Well he's a boxer adapted to a game where most of the time you're jumping around. I don't know what you're talking about specifically, but I think they made a pretty good "adaptation".
Oh no I get that. I'm talking about his exaggerated animations, weird rigging and his downright bad form.

He's a fictional character, but it actually drives me mad. lol It's not the designers' faults, I get that creating a Punch Out character was a priority over a boxing character (all said and done PO isn't exactly faithful either in animations).

I don't mind an exaggerated boxer like Street Fighter's Dudley so long as he's faithful, but Mac is too much for me lol.

I'm not familiar with boxing. I recall you saying that you've earned a black belt in boxing, correct?.
There's no black belt in Boxing lol. That's just a joke I sometime throw around.

I do box though.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
My most wanted characters have always been King K. Rool, Ridley, Robin, and Mewtwo, in that order. As of now, I've been blessed with having Robin, a character once deemed by many to be nothing more than wishful thinking, in the game; it seems like I may not get the other three, but at the very least, they are not quite ruled out yet.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I was never really rooting for any character to be frank. Though I guess it's due I'm sort of new to the Smash speculation thing. But my favorites so far are Little Mac, Greninja, and Mega Man. The former two because Punch-Out Wii was addicting as heck, and Greninja was my starter for Pokemon Y. I never had an attachment to Mega Man previously, but he looks so sexy in gameplay. But that doesn't mean I hate any of the others. They all look like oodles of fun. Though I'm biased since Nintendo's one of those rare things that make me giddy like a little kid.
This man gets me. NintendoFanboy4Lifeeeee.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I've gotten mostly what I wanted out of the Roster but at the same time my feelings would not have been particular hurt if some of the characters on my list didn't get in. I had my want list like everyone else more or less does but I had no stake in the characters getting in or not.

That being said the fact that it looks like I'll get at least one more right then I got wrong in the signature is always fun regardless of whether it actually means anything or not.

Burruni

Smash Hero
My wants through Sm4sh Wishlist since the first news came out, before E3 was over.

Geno: -Looks towards the heavens- I thought Megaman was impossible so I went with you, having more hope. I'm honestly appy with the exchange.
Rosalina: Came out in a way I love the idea and character, but will likely be unable to play (just like Icies).
Bandana Dee: THERE'S STILL HOPE.
Marshal: My Robin for Rhythm Heaven to the Chrom that is Chorus Kids. I feel he can better represent the various parts of the big series instead of being a big face.
Anna: The only Fire Emblem character to be canonically in a majority of the games (12 of the 13, counting remakes). A trickster female sword user with some tricks up that giant money bag of hers. So much quirky ideas that could have made her up. I'd trade Lucina for her, but that's just me.

So anywhere from 1~3 of my 5.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Geno: -Looks towards the heavens- I thought Megaman was impossible so I went with you, having more hope. I'm honestly appy with the exchange.
Oh.
You're one of those people.

Ha, I'm only kidding. I'm surprised there isn't a Geno trophy (although we don't know if there isn't)
It would be the best he would get, methinks. But I think, considering the issues with including him, that it would be fair.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
It's looking likely I won't get any of my most wanteds in the game. Of course, all the more obscure characters have to be the ones I love. But hey, I did get Villager, Greninja, Rosalina, Pac-Man, Robin, Duck Hunt Dog, and Bowser Jr., all of which are characters I supported or characters I liked after seeing them in action(Rosalina and Pac-Man). The only characters I'm unsatisfied with are Palutena, Dark Pit, and to a lesser extent Shulk and Doctor Mario. Palutena and Dark Pit didn't really entertain me much in Uprising, and I guess I've never played Xenoblade, but I just find Shulk's design sorta boring. Doctor Mario is just meh.

But I suppose Ridley still has a slim chance.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Oh.
You're one of those people.

Ha, I'm only kidding. I'm surprised there isn't a Geno trophy (although we don't know if there isn't)
It would be the best he would get, methinks. But I think, considering the issues with including him, that it would be fair.
He was at the forefront of Brawl-wanted characters. After the utter failure of FF14's first launch, Square Enix said that they wanted to make more business decisions based upon the fans that made them as big as they were. After "Beware the Forest Mushrooms" in the hidden files of the Brawl disc... can you blame me for it? He even had a great pun for his reveal banner "Geno.. Gives it a Whirl!" A bit of a pipe dream, but I think everyone is permitted their real underdogs for the roster. Scatman has his Vaati, BluePikmin had Prince Sable, Morbid with Dark Pit, there was that one dude about a month ago who preached that 8-bit Mario was gonna be our new retro character.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
How would people feel about the idea of making Sopo a full character with buffs and dropping Nana to alt for him and calling it the Ice Climber, people were tossing it around in the leak thread, figured i'd bring it here (where it technically belongs :lick:)
I'd be okay with this. I never really understood why they were together in the first place. It's not like DKC or Sonic 2 where the 2P mimics 1P when not in use by another player.

And just called Ice Climber allows the alt being Nana.
BTW we need the blond Ice Climber from the game art as alts. :D Just because.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom