• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I actually have a question. Will we still be having a General Direct this month or no?
Repost of laziness:
Ehhhh. I wouldn't count on it. What with this Direct and deluge of MK info last week, seems like Nintendo is/was planning on skipping a normal Direct this month imo. Doubt they would've revealed so much of the remaining two major upcoming games otherwise.

Next bout of major Smash info very well might not be until E3.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Also, New Zero Suit Samus and Bayonetta are so hot beyond comprehension...but the moles!!!!! They're gross!!! WHAT ABOUT MOLES ARE ATTRACTIVE!?!?!?!?!?
Besides Muddy's wife, but she's a **** anyway.
I saw Zero Suit Samus and I was ashamed I found a video game character attractive. Like hot damn, ZSS is packing nicely.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Assuming that a grass-type Pokemon starter is also revealed as a playable standalone character, who do you think it would be? I'd go for Sceptile out of bias.
-----
I'd go for Grovyle all the way.
He would not only be an athletic and fast grass fighter, but could have some stuff from Mystery Dungeon in his moveset!

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
Here's my analysis of character chances effected by the direct:
Increased:
Palutena - Joked about with Pseudo trophy, has dedicated stage, Pit's final smash has been changed, tons of Kid Icarus items added.
King K. Rool - Kremlings confirmed as Smash Run enemies.
Issac - One of the few Brawl assist trophies left that wasn't shown as returning.
Tingle - One of the few Brawl assist trophies left that wasn't shown as returning.
Kat and Anna - One of the few Brawl assist trophies left that wasn't shown as returning.
Mii Masks - No alt costume has been shown for Villager yet, has a move named after Nintendo Land (Balloon Trip)

Neutral:
Lip - Lip's stick wasn't shown, no AT shown.

Decreased:
Mewtwo - Faces Greninja as possible competition.
Squirtle - Loss of Pokemon Trainer
Ivysaur - Loss of Pokemon Trainer
Another Pokemon Newcomer - Faces Greninja as possible competition.
Snake - No show during direct, 3DS release date getting close.
Ridley - Most likely a stage boss.
Toon Zelda/Tetra - No transformation characters.
Captain Rainbow/Nick - No transformation characters.
Standalone Mii - Customization is featured for all characters, find Mii stage has crown symbol, Pilotwings stage is self-repped.

Decomfirmed:

Kamek - Confirmed as a Smash Run enemy.
Waddle Dee - Confirmed as a Smash Run enemy, possibly part of DDD's final smash.
Midna - New AT.
Dark Samus - New AT.
Samurai Goroh - Returning AT.
Lyn - Returning AT.
Saki - Returning AT.
Meowth - Pokeball
Victini - Pokeball
Keldeo - Pokeball
Eevee - Pokeball
Tom Nook - Part of Villager's final smash.
Tiki - Shown off as a trophy.
Pokemon Trainers - No transformation characters.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Increased:
Palutena - Joked about with Pseudo trophy, has dedicated stage, Pit's final smash has been changed, tons of Kid Icarus items added.
Issac - One of the few Brawl assist trophies left that wasn't shown as returning.
Tingle - One of the few Brawl assist trophies left that wasn't shown as returning.
Kat and Anna - One of the few Brawl assist trophies left that wasn't shown as returning.
Mii Masks - No alt costume has been shown for Villager yet, has a move named after Nintendo Land (Balloon Trip)

Neutral:

Decreased:
Standalone Mii - Customization is featured for all characters, find Mii stage has crown symbol, Pilotwings stage is self-repped.
Decomfirmed:
Waddle Dee - Confirmed as a Smash Run enemy, possibly part of DDD's final smash.
Midna - New AT.
Dark Samus - New AT.
Lyn - Returning AT.
Saki - Returning AT.
Meowth - Pokeball
Victini - Pokeball
Keldeo - Pokeball
Eevee - Pokeball
You left Takamaru out of that list of course I don't know where he'd fit in.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I saw Zero Suit Samus and I was ashamed I found a video game character attractive. Like hot damn, ZSS is packing nicely.
Nah, I think Charizard is obviously the hottest reveal we've had. He is a fire-type after all!

But seriously, ZSS is looking pretty good. And I am in no way ashamed to be attracted to a character who is specifically designed to be attractive (we all know that Other M Samus was made to look that way). Or maybe that's just the puberty talking.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Increased:

Neutral:

Decreased:
Decomfirmed:
Midna - New AT.
Dark Samus - New AT.
Lyn - Returning AT.
Saki - Returning AT.
Meowth - Pokeball
Victini - Pokeball
Keldeo - Pokeball
Eevee - Pokeball
Put ridley in Decreased

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I have a question for you guys if Pokemon does get 6 characters does that mean Mario will as well
Smash 64:
  • Mario: 2
  • Pokemon: 2
  • Zelda: 1
Melee:
  • Mario: 5
  • Pokemon: 4
  • Zelda: 5
Brawl:
  • Mario: 4
  • Pokemon: 6
We now have 5 Mario, and 4 for each of Zelda and Pokemon. I think Pokemon can still have two more, and Zelda needs Ganondorf of course, without Mario getting another rep.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well I gotta get to bed. But, to review...
What I was right about:
  • Ridley being seen as more boss material to Sakurai
  • Pit's Sacred Treasures
  • Greninja appearing playable in unspecified form
  • Zero Suit Samus as a separate character
  • POW Block as an item
  • Bombchu as an item
  • More cruise stages appearing this time
  • GameFreak would advise Sakurai to add a new Pokemon and Sakurai would prioritize it for being a newcomer

What I was wrong about:
  • Phantom Down Special being completely absurd
  • Samurai Goroh getting in
  • You're an idiot if you think Pokemon Trainer is getting cut or if Charizard will be single
  • Zero as the Mega Man Assist Trophy
  • The newcomer Pokemon being Genesect
  • Greninja appearing as part of a second Pokemon Trainer character
  • Winged Pikmin not being a recovery
So there were some ups and downs. But, overall I'm excited to play as Greninja!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I have a question for you guys if Pokemon does get 6 characters does that mean Mario will as well
I don't really think so, since Mario has Yoshi and Wario, even though those are technically spin-offs.

I do believe that Zelda on the other hand, will get a newcomer if Pokémon gets 6 characters. If Mario and Pokémon both get full-fledged newcomers (pretty awesome and unique newcomers I might add) Zelda deserves one too.
Preferably Tingle, because randomness and fun, both of which are my middle name!
Hopefully the fact that Tingle wasn't there with the big bunch of Brawl trophies helps his chances.

samoxnar

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamOxnar
If anybody actually cares I believe Ridley is playable. Not only would he not tease us this long for a character that's not playable, theirs a flaw in the footage. Ridley's entire shadow is seen. There are platforms on the Pyrosphere that would obstruct his shadow and change it, or make not all of it visible. There are no platforms on the Final Destination version of the Pyrosphere. There are also no stage hazards on the Final Destination version.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't mean to spark controversy but...

I thought of one strange thing.

Ridley flies around the stage as a boss for sure but...

Judging by where he's flying...

Shouldn't he go through the platforms?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Smash 64:
  • Mario: 2
  • Pokemon: 2
  • Zelda: 1
Melee:
  • Mario: 5
  • Pokemon: 4
Brawl:
  • Mario: 4
  • Pokemon: 6
We now have 5 Mario, and 4 for each of Zelda and Pokemon. I think Pokemon can still have two more, and Zelda needs Ganondorf of course, without Mario getting another rep.
I'm pretty sure that in terms of equalling series out, slots are more important than the actual amount characters, since the core point of that discussion is that the roster will be divided equally among the 3 big series.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
There was a Nintendo Direct today...
if you read my quote before I explained that sakurai is probably trolling, the ridley shown could be playable, the ridley shown could be other m ridley with super metroid ridley being playable or a new design entirely like zamus, or we could have a toon link scenario on our hands. Sakurai never shows ridley nor does he mention ridley at all.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
well I appreciate you guys responding to my question in a nice and friendly manner I asked that same question on miiverse and yeah the results from it wasn't pretty I don't personally expect a Mario newcomer but today's direct had alot of stuff I didn't expect so yeah maybe I should learn to expect the unexpected

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
if you read my quote before I explained that sakurai is probably trolling, the ridley shown could be playable, the ridley shown could be other m ridley with super metroid ridley being playable or a new design entirely like zamus, or we could have a toon link scenario on our hands. Sakurai never shows ridley nor does he mention ridley at all.
That's just ridiculous.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just had an idea for the new custom specials :

Luigi's Green Missile with Wider Range,and Shock (short paralyzation) when hit ;

ending with a Super Jump Punch.

Such OP.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I don't mean to spark controversy but...

I thought of one strange thing.

Ridley flies around the stage as a boss for sure but...

Judging by where he's flying...

Shouldn't he go through the platforms?
DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!!!

But seriously, because of the way he is flying, I think this:
Even better.
He only showed part of him, as even more of a hint.

And hasn't anyone noticed that Ridley is actually MOVING like he is playable? He is moving rather slow, and with a continuous "flap-flap-flap-flap" rate with his wings.
If he were a boss, he'd be moving like friggin' lightning! You would see his shadow shoot across the screen in a somewhat-cinematic way, instead of seeing his wings flap in a steady Pit-Brawl way.
This, in my opinion, is the biggest flaw in the idea that Ridley will be a boss.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm not commenting on Ridley in here. I'm already facepalming at some people for it.

What did I take from today? First things first. I'm super pumped for the Summer!

Based on the trolling with Pseudo Palutena, I am completely convinced in Palutena. I believe the Assist Tophy part raised Isaac's chances by a good amount. I think Mewtwo can still get in, but I would be lying if my confidence wasn't shaken a wee bit.

I think K.Rool can still get in based on the Kremlings in that game mode. Greninja looks legit...I like Charizard by himself (that means that is our first two cuts).

If Squirtle and Ivysaur are indeed cut as it seems, then would that decrease the chance for others to be cut possibly? I'm not sure whether to make that call just yet.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
If anybody actually cares I believe Ridley is playable. Not only would he not tease us this long for a character that's not playable, theirs a flaw in the footage. Ridley's entire shadow is seen. There are platforms on the Pyrosphere that would obstruct his shadow and change it, or make not all of it visible. There are no platforms on the Final Destination version of the Pyrosphere. There are also no stage hazards on the Final Destination version.
Yeah, there is a risk in that we could be underestimating the size of the space between the platforms, and I don't think it's confirmed whether or not they move. I whole-heartetly agree, of coarse.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I told you, guys.

I TOLD YOU.

I was very skeptical about Ridley as playable character and now look what happen.

Anyway, my updated prediction roster:

More details here: http://smashboards.com/threads/roster-prediction-display-thread.324220/page-5#post-15644284

Changes:
-De-transform everyone
-Table size from 8x6 to 10x5 (still no more free spots for more fighters, it's only done to make more room for transformations :p)
-Greninja replace Ridley
-Mewtwo now only likely (from "definitely")

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm still hoping for Snake.
After all I thought he was going to be that last second E3 reveal anyway.
But the way people are talking they think he's cut because he wasn't revealed in this Direct.
Let me hear you guys opinions about it.

samoxnar

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamOxnar
I'm still hoping for Snake.
After all I thought he was going to be that last second E3 reveal anyway.
But the way people are talking they think he's cut because he wasn't revealed in this Direct.
Let me hear you guys opinions about it.
I'm pretty sure he'll be in there's no reason for him not to be, we still got several moths of hype left.

D

Deleted member

Increased:

Neutral:

Decreased:
Toon Zelda/Tetra - No transformation characters.
Captain Rainbow/Nick - No transformation characters.
Decomfirmed:
Midna - New AT.
Dark Samus - New AT.
Lyn - Returning AT.
Saki - Returning AT.
Meowth - Pokeball
Victini - Pokeball
Keldeo - Pokeball
Eevee - Pokeball
I would kind of put Wolf in Decreased since Zero Suit Samus's moves seem to resemble his.

But hey, your call!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I told you, guys.

I TOLD YOU.

I was very skeptical about Ridley as playable character and now look what happen.

Anyway, my updated prediction roster:

More details here: http://smashboards.com/threads/roster-prediction-display-thread.324220/page-5#post-15644284

Changes:
-De-transform everyone
-Table size from 8x6 to 10x5 (still no more free spots for more fighters, it's only done to make more room for transformations :p)
-Greninja replace Ridley
-Mewtwo now only likely (from "definitely")

Eh.
Actually,I don't think the Ice climbers are even making it into the game.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I would just like to make my point clear, and please do not take this the wrong way.

After reading various posts on these forums, and Miiverse, It makes me absolutely sick to see that some of you are actually giving up on this game, and it's speculation simply because you didn't get what you wanted. Ok, we might have lost a highly requested character, so what? You thought Sakurai would say something, but he didn't. Again, so what?

The fun in speculation derives from the unpredictable outcome of all of the features in this game. I don't care if i'm right or wrong, because I still have fun in sharing my thoughts. If i'm let down on a character I was hoping for, OH WELL! I really think it's absurd to discredit the game YOU HAVE NOT EVEN PLAYED, because you didn't get your desired character, or stage, or whatever. It's Mr. Sakurai's decision as to what is implemented into this game, and we can't change his final decision. Who knows, maybe i'll be unhappy with the final result! But until now and the summer, i'm not going to rule out this game over characters, and i'll use my better sense of judgement, and try out the game to see if I truly like it.

I apologize if that sounded tedious, or hostile. Maybe I can lighten up the mood. :yeahboi::yeahboi:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Why are you taking this as such a negative impact?
I want every juicy little detail out of it!
Because that direct killed off every bit of hype I had for this game, and I likely won't buy it unless something big happens to change my mind.

I was already steadily losing hype, as Kenith ever so mocks me over, I can't give two flying ****s for any of the newcomers so far. Now that's not to say that I just want every character that only I ask for, but to not be excited one bit while I keep seeing worse characters is really off-putting. Sure Mega Man and Little Mac (and Villager) were great big fan requests, but I don't care about either of them, and the rest of the characters are practically shoehorned in. I guess I can be happy for the grand total of three or so blokes who wanted Miss Fit, Rosalina, and Greninja, but I'm getting exasperated by the growing amount of second rate characters.

That's not what really killed it for me though, now cuts are a thing, and he started it off by cutting the damned main protagonist of Pokemon, with Greninja sealing either Jigglypuff or Mewtwo's fate. Zelda/Sheik are separated, which completely ruins their concept, Zamus is separate too, which just adds insult to injury for Ridley. Olimar was nerfed to hell and back, which really hit me since he's one of my favorite mains, and now he'll never play the same. The game is just ruined for me.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Because that direct killed off every bit of hype I had for this game, and I likely won't buy it unless something big happens to change my mind.

I was already steadily losing hype, as Kenith ever so mocks me over, I can't give two flying ****s for any of the newcomers so far. Now that's not to say that I just want every character that only I ask for, but to not be excited one bit while I keep seeing worse characters is really off-putting. Sure Mega Man and Little Mac (and Villager) were great big fan requests, but I don't care about either of them, and the rest of the characters are practically shoehorned in. I guess I can be happy for the grand total of three or so blokes who wanted Miss Fit, Rosalina, and Greninja, but I'm getting exasperated by the growing amount of second rate characters.

That's not what really killed it for me though, now cuts are a thing, and he started it off by cutting the damned main protagonist of Pokemon, with Greninja sealing either Jigglypuff or Mewtwo's fate. Zelda/Sheik are separated, which completely ruins their concept, Zamus is separate too, which just adds insult to injury for Ridley. Olimar was nerfed to hell and back, which really hit me since he's one of my favorite mains, and now he'll never play the same. The game is just ruined for me.
So a game you haven't even touched, let alone know every specific detail of, is ruined?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom