• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Guys, don't count the game out until you've had the chance to play it.

Characters are going to be different in an effort to balance them. It's going to happen.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Well I'm going to bed.
Though before I go, I just wanna point out one thing.

Greninja fits into the whole "Green-Blue-Green-Blue" newcomer pattern. Next is K. Rool, Palutena, or maybe Tingle.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well I gotta get to bed. But, to review...
What I was right about:
  • Ridley being seen as more boss material to Sakurai
  • Pit's Sacred Treasures
  • Greninja appearing playable in unspecified form
  • Zero Suit Samus as a separate character
  • POW Block as an item
  • Bombchu as an item
  • More cruise stages appearing this time
  • GameFreak would advise Sakurai to add a new Pokemon and Sakurai would prioritize it for being a newcomer

What I was wrong about:
  • Phantom Down Special being completely absurd
  • Samurai Goroh getting in
  • You're an idiot if you think Pokemon Trainer is getting cut or if Charizard will be single
  • Zero as the Mega Man Assist Trophy
  • The newcomer Pokemon being Genesect
  • Greninja appearing as part of a second Pokemon Trainer character
  • Winged Pikmin not being a recovery
So there were some ups and downs. But, overall I'm excited to play as Greninja!!!
Okay, my turn!

What I was right about:
- Midna being in at all
- no transforming characters
- single player on 3DS version
- Pit's Final Smash
- Brawl Past Stages exclusive to Wii U
- Melee Past Stages exclusive to 3DS
- My Music Returns on Wii U
- Melee style music on 3DS
- customizable movesets
- Palutena temple being new Hyrule Temple
- Master Ball with only Legendary summons
- Zero Suit Samus has original design (not Other M)

What I was wrong about:
- No Pokemon newcomer
- No stage hazards option
- Two newcomers revealed
- Captain Falcon reveal during Direct (sigh)

I'm sure there's more I was wrong about but I can't think of anything else...I only paid attention to the good stuff...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
After reading various posts on these forums, and Miiverse, It makes me absolutely sick to see that some of you are actually giving up on this game, and it's speculation simply because you didn't get what you wanted. Ok, we might have lost a highly requested character, so what? You thought Sakurai would say something, but he didn't. Again, so what?
So a game you haven't even touched, let alone know every specific detail of, is ruined?
Excuse me if I don't want to spend my hard earned money on a product that doesn't live up to my expectations, I guess I should just mindlessly buy the game because Sakurai is a genius and knows what he's doing, I mean, I don't care about any of these characters but what does that matter right?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Excuse me if I don't want to spend my hard earned money on a product that doesn't live up to my expectations, I guess I should just mindlessly buy the game because Sakurai is a genius and knows what he's doing, I mean, I don't care about any of these characters but what does that matter right?

No tears. Only Greninja.

It's kinda strange, but my hype and happiness outweigh my disappointment.

Sure, I'm sad about Pokemon Trainer and Ridley, (and Snake's seemly low chances) but we have move customization for ALL characters, (something that I originally wanted for Mii alone) Sheik and ZSS as standalone characters instead of being cut, some new stages (dat Final Destination), that 3DS exclusive single-player mode, and the option to make all stages simple like Final Destination, among other stuff!

I do feel for those who are saddened by this, though.

Well I'm going to bed.
Though before I go, I just wanna point out one thing.

Greninja fits into the whole "Green-Blue-Green-Blue" newcomer pattern. Next is K. Rool, Palutena, or maybe Tingle.
Oh....boy. Another one of those "patterns" :laugh:

-----

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I personally think Greninja should have been a secret character post release.
I mean don't get me wrong he's an awesome character but there is obviously mixed reactions around the fan-base (who by the way were like the only ones watching this)
He as well as Takamaru just doesn't sit well with a lot of people for instance if Takamaru was revealed some people would be like "great another sword wielder woo"
Altogether Sakurai picked the wrong person to reveal in a Smash Bros. Direct.
We didn't want a WTF character we wanted a cool new character.
I don't know why he did it but I guess he has his reasons.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I understand that you wouldn't want to buy it if it wasn't to your expectations, but I really don't see the need to rule out the game entirely because of a few characters, especially when we haven't played it yet. If what you've seen isn't to your liking so far, then that's fine, because your entitled to your opinion, but I feel as though we should be more welcoming to the changes implemented. If you stay pessimistic towards every feature, then there's nothing to look forward to, being Smash, or any other game. Why not just try looking for the good in some of the new changes to a franchise we all love?

If it's a franchise you love enough, then I think it's be worth the risk. Btw, excuse me if I sounded hostile before, just a bad night at the job is all. No bad blood from me.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I am sad. Not because of Greninja, I like the ninja frog Pokemon. but because of Saki, Tiki, Lyn and Goroh. :( And the fact that These three are most likely cut. :ivysaur::squirtle::pt:

And they took out transformation characters, but then added Rosalina and Luma which would also be difficult to implement. Zero Suit Samus and Sheik each having their own spot on the roster make it less likely for Ridley and any other Zelda newcomer.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Wouldn't the FD Alt Skin option for every stage count as this, in a way? Since by toggling the FD/Non-FD function, you would also be toggling Stage Hazards (and Stage Bosses) on and off also.

You might deserve half a cookie after all. ;)
Admittedly I was trying to find things I was wrong about to balance the amount of correct guesses.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Out of the things I got right and wrong about what I said the direct would have was: (Notably)

Right:
-A dual character trailer
-Lyn as non-playable
-Ridley non-playable (TBD I guess)
-Palutena not a part of Pit's FS
-Micaiah not an AT (As of yet)
-A Summer release date.
-Yoshi would be announced

Wrong:
-All Transformations and PT would be the same
-Greninja wouldn't be playable
-Lip or Micaiah would be announced
-Ike would be announced
-Palutena would be announced

That's all I can think of.

Last reveal will be in May, game will come in June I think. Lip, Takumaru, or a Fire Emblem character will be announced.

D

Deleted member

I have mixed reaction to all of this.

But, for any consolation, Diddy has to be in a state of bittersweet;
Sure, he was right that the Phantom was a new move, and that Sheik would no longer be a transformation of Zelda....
But Sheik's still here nonetheless. :troll:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I have mixed reaction to all of this.

But, for any consolation, Diddy has to be in a state of bittersweet;
Sure, he was right that the Phantom was a new move, and that Sheik would no longer be a transformation of Zelda....
But Sheik's still here nonetheless. :troll:
Yeah, that's funny.

Though now that they're separate, I'm always going to consider them different people just because.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

This is my roster after the direct. 48 characters with two cuts from Brawl (Squirtle and Ivysaur)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I understand that you wouldn't want to buy it if it wasn't to your expectations, but I really don't see the need to rule out the game entirely because of a few characters, especially when we haven't played it yet. If what you've seen isn't to your liking so far, then that's fine, because your entitled to your opinion, but I feel as though we should be more welcoming to the changes implemented. If you stay pessimistic towards every feature, then there's nothing to look forward to, being Smash, or any other game. Why not just try looking for the good in some of the new changes to a franchise we all love?

If it's a franchise you love enough, then I think it's be worth the risk. Btw, excuse me if I sounded hostile before, just a bad night at the job is all. No bad blood from me.
I play Smash for the characters, so they're kind of central to my enjoyment of the game. I know I'm alone in this, but I don't care for any of the newcomers so far, and that's been slowly building up with each one. I was fine with it at Miss Fit, I was okay with Rosalina, Little Mac was pushing it, but Greninja broke it. Losing characters is bad too, since Pokemon Trainer was my favorite Pokemon character in Smash, and not because of Charizard, but because of the trainer. A lot of characters I like have been changed completely and one of my mains was ruined, so it's really just a culmination of things that brought me to a breaking point. If I wanted to look forward to new things, I would play a game that isn't Smash, when I play Smash, I expect Smash. Again, it's not the franchise I love per-say, but the different characters all joining within the franchise, and when the sanctity of that is ruined, there's just nothing left for me. Of course this happened before in Brawl, but none of the cut characters really affected me much, while I loved almost every newcomer, while this time there isn't anything I have to look forward to.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It had 6 characters, but in 4 slots. To me, that makes a difference; Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard were all under the "Pokemon Trainer" character. That's no longer the case.
Sakurai viewed it as 6 and not 4 though. And that was two more than Mario got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom