• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Please, folks, don't try to use the denial card. It will only make things worse.
I'm just saying Toon Link was unanimously thought to be a stage element, and the few people who supported him by claiming there were multiple Toon Links...were right.

The one shown was obviously the Other M version of Ridley. For all we know, the possible playable Ridley could be a new version specifically designed for Smash.

?????????????

Smash Master
Sakurai viewed it as 6 and not 4 though. And that was two more than Mario got.
The lack of Mewtwo is the only thing bugging me about the roster right now. I may very well remove the "Random" space for his inclusion.

CalumG

Smash Lord
So...

Phantoms for Zelda, all transformation characters separated/removed, Palutena troll, Zero Suit Samus troll, Ridley troll (plz?), no items Final Destination, Kirby Air Ride mode and of course, freakin' Greninja.

Throw your rulebooks out the window, if Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina weren't proof enough that we're always ten steps behind Sakurai then this sure is. I'm conflicted about the game at the moment, but the fact that Sakurai manages to consistently keep me on my toes gives me a lot of hope for this game yet.

Also if Ridley is deconfirmed then so is Toon Link. Fight me :troll:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm just saying Toon Link was unanimously thought to be a stage element, and the few people who supported him by claiming there were multiple Toon Links...were right.

The one shown was obviously the Other M version of Ridley. For all we know, the possible playable Ridley could be a new version specifically designed for Smash.
Even so, Condoctur Link still gets replaced by another character whenever Toon Link gets brought up anyway, regardless if they are different people. So I'm not quite sure if it would be the same thing for Ridley if he really is a stage hazard...

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Even so, Condoctur Link still gets replaced by another character whenever Toon Link gets brought up anyway, regardless if they are different people. So I'm not quite sure if it would be the same thing for Ridley...
That is one thing I can't argue over, to be sure. Still, maybe it won't an issue, as Ridley in Other M is radically different from other versions, whereas Toon Link is simply wearing another costume\shading style.

Of course, there's always the possibility Stage Ridley is replaced by Meta Ridley, or perhaps Meta Ridley is playable.

D

Deleted member

Or playable Ridley is Omega Ridley. :troll:

After all, we did get Dark Samus as an Assist....

CalumG

Smash Lord
I don't want to beat the dead horse since I'm sure at least ten people must've already brought it up, but why won't Sakurai just show Ridley already, stage hazard or otherwise? There definitely seems to be some kind of foul play here - he spent a good 2/3 minutes describing the Yellow Devil but he can't take the time to explain everyones favourite purple dragon?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The lack of Mewtwo is the only thing bugging me about the roster right now. I may very well remove the "Random" space for his inclusion.
I'd strongly suggest keeping him on your roster. Even with Greninja, the points in Mewtwo's favour still exist.

bryanoid

Smash Cadet
Greninja and Charizard were revealed so that Mewtwo can remain a secret char. Stop waiting for a reveal.

CalumG

Smash Lord
If Ridley is deconfirmed, are Mii's deconfirmed? They seem to show up in the background of Find Mii.

inb4 its not the same thing

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
At the very least, Other M Ridley is disconfirmed.
I honestly think a new Ridley or Meta Ridley would be really cool.

All of Ridley's abilities, but also has cyborg powers. Best case scenario, honestly.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If Ridley is deconfirmed, are Mii's deconfirmed? They seem to show up in the background of Find Mii.

inb4 its not the same thing
As you said, that quite literally is not the same thing.

Mii's are characters that portay ourselves that reach millions. Ridley, or Other M Ridley are but one being. He's a clone sure, but why would Sakurai go against the art style of the series after moving on from the Super Metroid style?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's worth mentioning that, now that every character's moveset can be customized, the Mii doesn't have that option unique to itself anymore. If it gets in now, it'd pretty much be a prop-wielder. Which reminds me, I didn't respond to a post by @GoldenYuiitusin earlier that actually had some good Mii ideas. They're well developed, and I'd dislike the Mii less if it used them, but they seem almost like WarioWare Waluigi in that it's a good idea that's probably just not in the cards.

CalumG

Smash Lord
As you said, that quite literally is not the same thing.

Mii's are characters that portay ourselves that reach millions. Ridley, or Other M Ridley are but one being. He's a clone sure, but why would Sakurai go against the art style of the series after moving on from the Super Metroid style?
Keep in mind though that Sakurai already went kind of "against the art style of the series" with Zero Suit Samus. Zero Suit is distinctly different looking than the one in Other M, sporting lighter hair (though we can potentially just blame the art style of Smash), completely different facial structure from what I can see, and most importantly the suit upgrades that came out of nowhere. I don't remember seeing that gun or that metallic shine in Other M either, but I've done all I can to purge that game from my memory.

Metroid representation in Smash doesn't have to be as one-dimensional as simply taking character designs from Other M. I ain't saying Ridley's playable (because he's probably not), but something's fishy - that's all.

bryanoid

Smash Cadet
My roster prediction

Why does the roster maker change back to the default icons ughh. Oh well. Alt forms for characters may or may not have their own slot. I'm leaning towards them not having their own slot but could go either way. Popo would be named simply Ice Climber with this alt costume being Nana. They'd obviously have a beefed up moveset to make up for the dual attacker removal. Isaac/Lip/Andy for that last slot; nobody else. Sorry Shulk and Prince Fluff, maybe next time :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, red outline = secret character.. Not just unlockable. Secret.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That user with the japanese text viewing this thread kind of creeps me out...

Anyways, on topic. Have a feeling this E3 will see a blow out similar to what we have now. Probably wouldn't expect a character reveal next. Charater's like Mewtwo and Ridley strike me as the kind of characters that would be revealed at E3 if they are playable. Think June X will be their day of reckoning.

Last edited:

CalumG

Smash Lord
Wing.png

Does this wing not strike anybody as odd? Certainly doesn't look like a Ridley colour scheme or shape that I remember seeing. The plot thickens? #denial

D

Deleted member

It's worth mentioning that, now that every character's moveset can be customized, the Mii doesn't have that option unique to itself anymore. If it gets in now, it'd pretty much be a prop-wielder. Which reminds me, I didn't respond to a post by @GoldenYuiitusin earlier that actually had some good Mii ideas. They're well developed, and I'd dislike the Mii less if it used them, but they seem almost like WarioWare Waluigi in that it's a good idea that's probably just not in the cards.
Funny you should say that....

He may not be playable, but it seems as far as Sakurai is concerned, ol' Wally belongs with Wario now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Huh...maybe Wario will get more than just four trophies this time around in that case.

Oh, another thing that just occurred to me; all of those people nutting about in here about how Tom Nook was obviously getting shown off in the Direct...weren't wrong.

D

Deleted member

Huh...maybe Wario will get more than just four trophies this time around in that case.

Oh, another thing that just occurred to me; all of those people nutting about in here about how Tom Nook was obviously getting shown off in the Direct...weren't wrong.
They may have been right....

Being in "somewhere" doesn't necessarily translate to being playable.
He could be another AT for Animal Crossing; no limit was ever stated.
He could be in the background of the AC stage like in Brawl. Y'know, where he got this treatment while Resetti got AT status.
He could even be part of Villager's FS somehow.

But a playable role? That ship has sailed.
....but I'm righter.

CalumG

Smash Lord
In other news, I can't see if it's been discussed:

Galaga - a Namco arcade game if I'm not mistaken - getting representation in Smash. A Namco third-party is looking more likely now in my opinion. More specifically, an arcade-era Namco third-party... if ya know what I'm saying. :troll:

?????????????

Smash Master
Galaga - a Namco arcade game if I'm not mistaken - getting representation in Smash. A Namco third-party is looking more likely now in my opinion. More specifically, an arcade-era Namco third-party... if ya know what I'm saying. :troll:
Or perhaps it's making up for a lack thereof. :troll:

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Funny you should say that....

He may not be playable, but it seems as far as Sakurai is concerned, ol' Wally belongs with Wario now.
Funny, Wario still hasn't actually been announced yet.
Unless he was cut and that's the symbol for the "Waluigi franchise." :troll:
What do you mean it would be the symbol on his hat? You don't know nothin'

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Sakurai said Pac-Man or any other Namco character wouldn't get in solely because of Namco working on the game, and instead would get in by his/her own merits.

He didn't say anything about items. :troll:

----

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also....

I got a leak for you guys.

Because of how my account is known for being Entei-themed, Sakurai sent me an e-mail confirming that Entei will once again be a Poke Ball summon.

How nice of him.
My leak was right. I'm a motherlovin' prophet. :troll:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
In other news, I can't see if it's been discussed:

Namco items without a Namco character would be all kinds of odd.

Pac-Man is in as far as I'm concerned.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Namco items without a Namco character would be all kinds of odd.

Pac-Man is in as far as I'm concerned.
Yup, plus there's the X-Rally flag as an item too. Two Namco items, sure. But they're two Namco items from a very specific era (even though Namco Bandai has a wealth of content). I smell a newcomer in the works. :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
As far as I am concerned, Pac-Man is playable. Haters might as well loosen up... the pain will go away faster. :troll:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As far as I am concerned, Pac-Man is playable. Haters might as well loosen up... the pain will go away faster. :troll:
I've warmed up to the idea, but only because I don't expect the Ghostly Adventures version as he has absolutely no reason to be included in that form.

Miis however...are a different story.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
After looking through the direct again and analyzing things, I'm not quite as upset as before. I'm fine with Sheik and Zamus now, but the cuts and inevitable cuts still hurt. And I'm still pretty pissed off about Olimar, I can only pray that he changes mid development to get all his Pikmin back.

There are quite a few things to be glad about though...

I'd like to apologize to Diddy, you were right about the Phantom... But Sheik is still in the game. :troll:
I'd also like to apologize to the people who thought Link wasn't TP Link anymore... Because he still is, Gale Boomerang is blatantly in the Greninja trailer.
Pac-Man is all but confirmed, so that's at least one character I can be excited about, though not exactly my most wanted...
Miis aren't "shoe-ins" anymore, which is a bloody relief. If you notice the Find Mii stage, there's a Mii in the cage, which would be your Mii. In before Alphonzo.
Ridley wasn't actually shown so...
Also, Kremlings.

On a sad note, poor Lip is practically deconfirmed, though it was to be expected.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
After looking through the direct again and analyzing things, I'm not quite as upset as before. I'm fine with Sheik and Zamus now, but the cuts and inevitable cuts still hurt. And I'm still pretty pissed off about Olimar, I can only pray that he changes mid development to get all his Pikmin back.

There are quite a few things to be glad about though...

I'd like to apologize to Diddy, you were right about the Phantom... But Sheik is still in the game. :troll:
I'd also like to apologize to the people who thought Link wasn't TP Link anymore... Because he still is, Gale Boomerang is blatantly in the Greninja trailer.
Pac-Man is all but confirmed, so that's at least one character I can be excited about, though not exactly my most wanted...
Miis aren't "shoe-ins" anymore, which is a bloody relief. If you notice the Find Mii stage, there's a Mii in the cage, which would be your Mii. In before Alphonzo.
Ridley wasn't actually shown so...
Also, Kremlings.

On a sad note, poor Lip is practically deconfirmed, though it was to be expected.
Well it's good it's not the end of the world for you.
Ridley was technically shown as Other M Ridley, as you can clearly see his tail is the Other M version.
But I don't think that disconfirms him.
Thank god Miis aren't guaranteed.
And what makes Pacman so likely now? I mean, I don't care anymore, just asking.

Still, why is Lip disconfirmed? I never saw a trace of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom