• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It will probably be Protoman. :p
Do you mean as an AT, or a playable character? Because when it comes to the possibility of a second character, I figured Zero would be the obvious choice.

Proto Mn would be a good choice for an AT. However there's a number of other options as well. If they go the same route they did with sonic in Brawl, we could end up seeing Bass be the AT. Or we could use it to give representation to another subseries, possibly with Zero(or maybe the servbots). Heck, maybe it'll be a generic enemy like a Mettaur or a Sniper Joe.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Here's a question for you guys: I'm not sure I've seen this come up in a long time, but what does everyone here think of the possibility of a second Megaman character? Not just how likely it is to happen, but who it might be. Even though I'm pretty sure I know who everyone will pick.
It's so minimal of a shot, but I'd go with NOTZERO! Prometheus and Pandora.

As for an AT, I'd go Bass or Protoman.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sheep Man. Sheep Man will be the hypothetical second Mega Man character.

If only...

So, reveal on Monday, perhaps? Even though there's never been a character reveal on a Monday before...

Last edited:

Gune

Smash Lord
This most likely but I'd like Zero or a stampede of Servbots.
I hope its Miss tron and the serve bots using the Gessellschaft's artillery system to riddle the stage with lazers and rockets, while you see the ship in the background.

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team

If only...

So, reveal on Monday, perhaps? Even though there's never been a character reveal on a Monday before...
And we never had a month without a char, there is no odds in this game of waiting.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Nintendo vs. Capcom
Chances of a 2nd Megaman character are the same as a 2nd Sonic character. Zero.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

If only...
Too OP nerf plox. :p
Monday? Peter Gibbons confirmed. :troll:
Nintendo vs. Capcom
Chances of a 2nd Megaman character are the same as a 2nd Sonic character. Zero.

:troll:

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Tough with the way Capcom has been treating Megaman lately, I almost wish they WERE members of the family.....:urg:
We still have Mighty No.Megaman.9 when it comes out. And then there's Inafune's other project, which looks like Megaman ZX/Zero. It's not the end of the world, but the fact that the prototype was finished is the salt factor for me.

We got Megaman in Smash at the very least?

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
We still have Mighty No.Megaman.9 when it comes out. And then there's Inafune's other project, which looks like Megaman ZX/Zero. It's not the end of the world, but the fact that the prototype was finished is the salt factor for me.

We got Megaman in Smash at the very least?
Yeah, it's the best thing Capcom did for him since they really don't know what to do with the franchise.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Yeah, it's the best thing Capcom did for him since they really don't know what to do with the franchise.
I can totally picture a great conversation in some higher ups. They just all shrug for 3 hours and decide that.
At that time Sakurai likely approached them with that one little rule of no fighting game characters and they were likely going to pick someone such as Ryu for SFIV overdose.

But Rock just fits.

I hope megaman becomes part of the family that would be beyond amazing...
It certainly would. We'd get more Megaman, Smash-wise and likely game-wise.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm pretty sure my 2nd Megaman character would be Bass. He's the only other Classic series character that has a lot of unique attacks to make him stand out. Though if I was completely biased about it, I'd have Megaman X and Zero as playable characters.

fill

20EggsEggs
I'm pretty sure my 2nd Megaman character would be Bass. He's the only other Classic series character that has a lot of unique attacks to make him stand out. Though if I was completely biased about it, I'd have Megaman X and Zero as playable characters.
do you think they would mix regular megaman and x series? i doubt we would get two megaman reps in his first smash game, if a third party had two reps i put my money on a second sonic one

Gune

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Zero would be next to add, he's like second in command after megaman or if were going for classic MM then it might actually be protoman.
do you think they would mix regular megaman and x series? i doubt we would get two megaman reps in his first smash game, if a third party had two reps i put my money on a second sonic one
they have mixed original MM with Legends MM and Legends with X, doing it now probably won't be a problem.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, we aren't exactly sure whether or not a third party series is allowed to have multiple characters. I'd imagine it'd a bit easier to do than to keep going to multiple companies though. As for which series would get one first, it'd likely be Sonic, given that his series is the most popular third party series. And Sonic's 2nd character should be either Eggman or Tails.

For Megaman, having another Classic series character makes the most sense in a way. Which is why Bass would be my first choice. But Megaman X and Zero still have a pretty close connection to the classic series too. Both in their Design and the context of the story, not like there's much story in the early Megaman games, but hey. And I'm pretty sure that Zero is the 2nd most popular character next to Megaman himself.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Is it bad if Megaman X got represented I'd think it'd be coolest to play as Sigma?

It could be worse, I could have said Axl. Or Double. Or Dynamo.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Is it bad if Megaman X got represented I'd think it'd be coolest to play as Sigma?

It could be worse, I could have said Axl. Or Double. Or Dynamo.
The correct answer would be Megaman X >>>> Zero >>>> Vile. Axl has a decent gameplay style in Megaman X8 though.

What about an Bass/treble alt costume?
That would be cool. But I think that it would be slightly hard to pull off. Bass is decently larger than classic Megaman. If we had to go with another character, I think Protoman would work really well. But Megaman himself has enough to pull form to get his own 2nd costume.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Axl had decent gameplay style in x8 and was useful in command mission, which I found to be more fun than expected.

Mega Man Classic: Appeared 9/11 times on Nintendo consoles first. (6 was PC, 8 was playstation. And I'm counting Megaman and Bass as an entry)
Mega Man X: Appeared 3/8 times on Nintendo Consoles first.
Mega Man Legends: Appeared never on Nintendo first, though I thought 64 was significantly improved from the original.
Mega Man EXE: Always appeared on Nintendo first.
Mega Man Zero: Always appeared on Nintendo first, but you never played as Mega Man.

I feel Battle Network would be a fine alt costume, as would Protoman, especially if they made Rush into Tango for that skin.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Megaman discussion without the Nintendo Exclusive ZX series?

Ehh, won't make a difference. Every cares about X mostly as it's the most iconic! :laugh:

If Megaman was to get an alt, I think it would be Protoman.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I only want quint as his megaman alt pls.
Smash's appareance should be all about the character, not the franchise.

Maybe roll and zero as ATs.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Second MegaMan character? No, just no! Capcom is not as close to Nintendo as SEGA, so the chance of a second Sonic character are higher, (not by much though). Nintendo buying out SEGA is highly possible, but Nintendo buying out Capcom, I doubt that. As it looks now, extra third party reps would be alternate costumes for Sonic and MegaMan. For Sonic, that would be Shadow and or Silver. MegaMan could just be X, Bass, or Zero. And no, not even third party franchises get more than one assist trophy if they only get one character, because that would make the game unbalanced, that and the idea of having more assist trophies than characters in a franchise at this point sounds pretty lame.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
so i only played gen 1 and 2, but who are the big names from X and Y?
well, none were outright promoted, most of the promoted pokemon this gen were actually brawl characters.

IF I had to say who was the most promoted NEW pokemon, I'd say sylveon.

since the roster was finalized before X & Y came out, I don't think they could have taken popularity into account, but the most popular this gen seems to be Hawlucha, Goodra and Greninja.

Gune

Smash Lord
They didn't say it was a pokemon announcement but they are attending. Hmm... I doubt that its a big announcement or if they are even giving one, but keeping my fingers crossed they say something about pokken fighters and or pokken tournament.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Second MegaMan character? No, just no! Capcom is not as close to Nintendo as SEGA, so the chance of a second Sonic character are higher, (not by much though). Nintendo buying out SEGA is holy possible, but Nintendo buying out Capcom, I doubt that. As it looks now, extra third party reps would be alternate costumes for Sonic and MegaMan. For Sonic, that would be Shadow and or Silver. MegaMan could just be X, Bass, or Zero. And no, not even third party franchises get more than one assist trophy if they only get one character, because that would make the game unbalanced, that and the idea of having more assist trophies than characters in a franchise at this point sounds pretty lame.
From the guy who thinks Sonic should get a second character, there's so much bias here it's not even funny.

No third party deserves a second character, no third party deserves to be in Smash in the first place. Sonic and Mega Man both got in by fan demand (and Snake because of Kojima), not because they are important to Nintendo. One should be grateful that a third party is even in at all, not act entitled about it.

Mind you, I'm a fan of Sonic's older games and I don't even care about Mega Man at all, just remember that this is a Nintendo game. To get straight to the point, no third party franchise will get a second rep, they're guests, you don't invite a "friend" over only for him to bring along some guy that you never said he could bring.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
From the guy who thinks Sonic should get a second character, there's so much bias here it's not even funny.

No third party deserves a second character, no third party deserves to be in Smash in the first place. Sonic and Mega Man both got in by fan demand (and Snake because of Kojima), not because they are important to Nintendo. One should be grateful that a third party is even in at all, not act entitled about it.

Mind you, I'm a fan of Sonic's older games and I don't even care about Mega Man at all, just remember that this is a Nintendo game. To get straight to the point, no third party franchise will get a second rep, they're guests, you don't invite a "friend" over only for him to bring along some guy over that you never said he could bring.
I think there's actually a backstory behind Sonic other than fan desire. Back when Melee was in development, Yuji Naka wanted Sonic in Melee, but again, the game was too far in development.

I also said those other characters as alternate costumes, not seperate characters. But don't get me wrong, I can still wait patiently for Nintendo to buy out SEGA

Last edited:

Parmite

Smash Apprentice

If only...

What is it that you Americans say? There is a first time for everything...

Extra points to whoever gets that reference.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, not to change the subject or anything, but seeing as how we did not get a character reveal today (rather unfortunate, but at least us Pokemon fans got a special treat), which of these scenarios seem more likely at this point?

1.) We get a random character reveal on the last day of the month.

2.) We don't get a character reveal this month at all, but instead get something larger than usual in April. Something along the lines of a special Direct reveal, perhaps.

3.) We don't get anything March and only get typical reveals, such as a standard Direct reveal, in April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom