• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

andimidna

Smash Master
Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Decided to give my roster a visual update.

I like it, personally. Two Miis are because why not. :p
I like every character on it besides the Miis, but it really feels empty. You also wouldn't happen to have that full Ike render, would you?

Smady

Smash Master
I get Krystal, but what's wrong with Takamaru? He's the most likely retro candidate and he's to Link what Pit is to Samus, a perfect fit.
My problem with Takamaru is that I think that Sakurai intends for the new retro to be the next Pit, like a revival in the making and I don't know if Takamaru's game qualifies for a good remake. It's flimsy logic, but retros are hard to predict and I simply don't think Takamaru has the right kind of appeal as a character. There are so many others that could be taken instead. I don't strongly disagree, anyway, it's a very good roster aside from Krystal.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I like every character on it besides the Miis, but it really feels empty. You also wouldn't happen to have that full Ike render, would you?
I don't, but there's one awesome user in the Roster Maker thread who may. I'm forgetting their name offhand, but if you go to the latest page, you'll know when you see it. :)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Decided to give my roster a visual update.

I like it, personally. Two Miis are because why not. :p
something something no white space 0/10. :p

In all seriousness it's fine. IMO one of the Miis could be swapped for a random box, but that's just me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
something something no white space 0/10. :p

In all seriousness it's fine. IMO one of the Miis could be swapped for a random box, but that's just me.
I can't believe I didn't think of putting a random box...

andimidna

Smash Master
My problem with Takamaru is that I think that Sakurai intends for the new retro to be the next Pit, like a revival in the making and I don't know if Takamaru's game qualifies for a good remake. It's flimsy logic, but retros are hard to predict and I simply don't think Takamaru has the right kind of appeal as a character. There are so many others that could be taken instead. I don't strongly disagree, anyway, it's a very good roster aside from Krystal.
Pit was the popular retro. ROB was the historical retro. Following Ice Climbers and G&W from Melee.
Of the 4, only Pit got a revival.
I think Takamaru fits the spot perfectly as he is the most popular pick.
However, didn't Sakurai say something about a focus on retros?
Possiblly the next popular pick, Lip, could also make it. She has a lot of room for uniqueness.
I also like some movesets I've seen for Duck Hunt Dog, Mach Rider, and Sukapon.
However, for a historical pick, I think we'll get Daitoryo or Sheriff.
If there is a focus on retros, all 4 would make me happy depending on the size of the roster, but I'd be fine with just 2 of these.

Smady

Smash Master
Pit was the popular retro. ROB was the historical retro. Following Ice Climbers and G&W from Melee.
Possiblly the next popular pick, Lip, could also make it. She has a lot of room for uniqueness.
If there is a focus on retros, all 4 would make me happy depending on the size of the roster, but I'd be fine with just 2 of these.
It's a matter of opinion, I think, who you believe will be that retro rep. I think we have at least one more of these characters.

Takamaru isn't an incorrect choice, but I'd personally say Lip, the Dog and Mach Rider have a better chance. The ones I'd actually want are Mach Rider and Daitoryo, although considering how good Sakurai makes the retro sets I'm sure I'd be happy whatever was chosen.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
It's a matter of opinion, I think, who you believe will be that retro rep. I think we have at least one more of these characters.

Takamaru isn't an incorrect choice, but I'd personally say Lip, the Dog and Mach Rider have a better chance. The ones I'd actually want are Mach Rider and Daitoryo, although considering how good Sakurai makes the retro sets I'm sure I'd be happy whatever was chosen.
I think the main reason people are thinking of takumaru is that he suddenly popped up here,

and people are thinking that could be hinting a revival. It's about as much of a hint as Pit's trophy in melee was, i guess.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Sakurai wants retro characters? Mighty the Armadillo confirmed. :troll:

On a more serious note, What five (not confirmed) retro characters would you want in Smash 4? GO!

My picks:
Takamaru
Mach Rider
Sukapon
Pulseman (counts as a GameFreak rep)
Lip

Edit: Changed list to include five characters.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Wario's Retro Picks:

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country, 1994)
Ridley (Metroid, 1986)
Mewtwo (Pokemon Red/Green, 1996)

Yeah, Retro characters are nice novelties and all, but I want to play as characters I actually care about before they appear in Smash.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
I think the main reason people are thinking of takumaru is that he suddenly popped up here,

and people are thinking that could be hinting a revival. It's about as much of a hint as Pit's trophy in melee was, i guess.
Wasn't that just a generic samurai game?

It's positive for Takamaru that he's on the cards for Nintendo, but it could simply be they looked through their catalog for an applicable series.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658

It's positive for Takamaru that he's on the cards for Nintendo, but it could simply be they looked through their catalog for an applicable series.
It was a generic shuriken throwing game, but it did have takumaru's name on it. What are these nintendo cards you've mentioned?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So...anybody expecting a character tomorrow?

I've been thinking it would be freaking awesome if they revealed Mewtwo as a veteran in a normal update tomorrow. The suspense is killing me.

*goes into corner awaiting further disappointment

Smady

Smash Master
It was a generic shuriken throwing game, but it did have takumaru's name on it. What are these nintendo cards you've mentioned?
A shuriken game, wasn't that in the new Kirby game too? Takamaru even being mentioned is good for him I guess, but not too credible.

Daitoryo is basically a representative for Nintendo's cards they used to make before they got into video games. They were a card producer for over a century, until they got into the toy business, then the game business and the rest is history. A card representative, or at least a trophy or sticker, is felt to be a very deserving piece of history that is absent from Smash Bros. After all, it was how Nintendo started even if it's not video game related.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Just remember this.

I will be here, drinking your salty tears of sadness and disappointment.
Always...

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
A shuriken game, wasn't that in the new Kirby game too? Takamaru even being mentioned is good for him I guess, but not too credible.

Daitoryo is basically a representative for Nintendo's cards they used to make before they got into video games. They were a card producer for over a century, until they got into the toy business, then the game business and the rest is history. A card representative, or at least a trophy or sticker, is felt to be a very deserving piece of history that is absent from Smash Bros. After all, it was how Nintendo started even if it's not video game related.
Little known facts, Nintendo made Ultra Hands, and liscenced out Japanese hotels.

THE MORE YOU KNOW.

Edit: removed shameless plug

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team

No, represents Takamaru universe.

In my opnion, seeing how nintendo first create gameplay and after "story", they created a gameplay that use the touchscreen to lauch ninja stars and after that they thought: Hey we could use Takamaru here!

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It is indeed mine.

@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux , you can grab it in my sig.
Ah thanks! I found them already since he mentioned you, they're really good. R.O.B. was really nice too, now Kenith can't complain. :troll:

You wouldn't happen to have any good renders of Palutena, Chrom, Shulk, or Lip as well would you?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Ah thanks! I found them already since he mentioned you, they're really good. R.O.B. was really nice too, now Kenith can't complain. :troll:

You wouldn't happen to have any good renders of Palutena, Chrom, Shulk, or Lip as well would you?
Sorry, I only really made them for characters with good Brawl mods I could work with. There are a couple that aren't in my sig, but none of those. Although, I'll definitely try to find some good models to use.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I feel like we haven't really touched upon F-Zero in a while. However, to break away from the norm, what other racers besides Goroh and B. Shadow would you want to see? I'm a fan of Super Arrow and Beastman (who is a psychotic pocher, mind you.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom