• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Wait, what's wrong with poor R.O.B.? Unless someone has good renders of all the characters, this is the best I can do.
The CSP's aren't meant to be what I think the actual screen will look like, I just made them as a cop out for Miis so I could put a visual to my idea of Miis/Random being a separate option from the actual roster itself. I put them on the sides because it looked nicer and took up less space, fits my screen well too.
Oh.

Well, here's a render of ROB you could use.

Yeah, I figured that out quickly enough. Though then again I have seen some legitimate Sandbag support... and expectation...
Well, it's better than a new Zelda character, really.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
Oh, you don't honestly think I think those are realistic predictions, do you?
Especially JonTron in the corner there.
And to be frank, I would feel extremely spoiled if I got to have Ghirahim before the Metroid fans got Ridley, or the DKC fans with King K Rool.
Imagine how freaking cool it would be if Jontron was a newcomer. I could see people being upset, but I would be all for it. (In reality, Jontron would have a pretty epic move set.)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Good roster. Only ones I can disagree on are Takamaru and Krystal.
I get Krystal, but what's wrong with Takamaru? He's the most likely retro candidate and he's to Link what Pit is to Samus, a perfect fit.

I've been wanting to replace Krystal, since my initial hype from Rosalina "upping her chances" died off, but there's not really anyone to replace her with.
In before Zelda newcomer.

Oh.

Well, here's a render of ROB you could use.

I think that actually looks worse than the render I used, I still don't know what's wrong with it anyway.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Imagine how freaking cool it would be if Jontron was a newcomer. I could see people being upset, but I would be all for it. (In reality, Jontron would have a pretty epic move set.)
Final Smash: "I AAAAAAAAIN'T HAVIN' THAT ****!!!!!!!!!!"

As for the newcomers on my wishlist, it's really just Layton and Reggie (who isn't a joke, I legitimately want him and think he actually has a chance) left. Mega Man and Rosalina were the other two big ones, and I got them (and practically died).

Palutena is KINDA sneaking on it, but won't fully until I play Uprising. And a small part of me wants a....*aherm*...Subspace "Emissary". *shot*

As for returning characters, Snake and Mewtwo are the only two I am worried about. Everyone else I think is a given, as of now (except for the other ones that are from Melee but not Brawl, like Roy and Pichu). As for other newcomers, I'm pretty much just hoping other people's favourites get in.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Palutena is KINDA sneaking on it, but won't fully until I play Uprising. And a small part of me wants a....*aherm*...Subspace "Emissary". *shot*
Dude you HAVE to play Uprising.
It's the best 3DS game out there and a personal favorite game of mine.
One of my favorite games, period. Ever.
(In fact I'm going to play it right now)

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Honestly, I liked the story and all.

But the best part was the depth.
I gotta hand it to Sakurai, the amount of depth he got using just a simplistic concept is amazing.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

I gotta hand it to Sakurai, the amount of depth he got using just a simplistic concept is amazing.
I believe it was originally going to be a new Star Fox title, believe it or not.
The game is just so unique in gameplay, story, everything.
The characters are lovable from the moment you meet them. The soundtrack is incredible.
There is nothing bad about Uprising at all. The controls are easy to get used to, in my opinion.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's got to be one of my favorite jokes to make.
"That's the best game ever, dude. In fact, I'm playing it right now!"

Heh heh.
Depth.
Cause it's a 3DS game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm considering maining him actually.
He seems like my type of character (I prefer ones who are ground-oriented).
If you are going to main Villager, you're going to have to learn about the varies kinks to the character. It will be like Snake, you have to know when and where to pull off attacks, with bum rushing it not being an option. Like when to grow the trees, or when to use the shovel, and then capitalizing on it.

Last edited:

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
The Newcomer I most want is King K Rool. Man, it would be awesome to see him back in action. Not to mention his move set is basically gift wrapped for you.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know. My best friend keeps telling me it's the best handheld game he's ever played.

I just have a huge backlog of 3DS (and other) games and college has been getting in the way of me buying them and playing the games I have. I do really want it, but I can never seem to get around to it. I'm actually buying Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright tomorrow, as it releases in Europe. Maybe Layton won't make it into Smash, but at least I'll have this for Summer.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm literally playing it right now.
Honest.
No doubt. It's just hilarious to actually say it to someone.

The Newcomer I most want is King K Rool. Man, it would be awesome to see him back in action. Not to mention his move set is basically gift wrapped for you.
I don't really care about DKC or King K Rool at all, but I'm going to be really upset if his fans are deprived of him again.
Way more so than Riddles, honestly.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I'm just puzzled as to what Sakurai is planning. Steadily increasing rate of reveals? Item and Assist reveals everywhere? No characters for a month despite ALL OF THIS?

.... Oh yeah, definitely NOT a coincidence. April Direct, I predict something Jaw droppingly Hype inducing

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
[collapse="More Pac-Man shtuff"]
No, Sonic the Fighters has enough of a reputation. Bean the Dynamite and Bark the Polar Bear only ever really featured in that game, and along with Mighty and Fang the Sniper, people have wanted them back for a while (Bean and Mighty actually received small cameos in Generations). Sonic Battle is more popular and more important, but Fighters is far from the most obscure game in the franchise. And as I said, the stuff Sonic does in Fighters are not unique to that game. I don't know why you keep bringing up Sonic the Fighters though, it has nothing to do with anything.
Sonic the Fighters is nowhere near being anything but obscure. I've yet to have seen a sequel for such a "popular" game with a "good reputation".

I've never seen Sonic utilize any of those techniques in other games either, aside from the spindash. Which is in every Sonic game, so without evidence your point here is moot.

The game is related because of how the source material for Sonic's set was derived from the more obscure of Sonic's two fighting games, because you specifically said that lesser known aspects of a character will never be a part of smash because they're lesser known.
Regarding the Specials issue, please learn to read the word "most" when I use it, please and thank you.
Just making another point, pal. No need to share some sass.

Ghostly Adventures being rejected by fans has everything to do with your post. You say they could take inspiration from that game. I say they won't, because it was rejected by fans. It's not the same as Sonic, who's Modern design is well received. It's really not necessary if they want to include Pac-Man, either. And Sakurai is not a settler. He wouldn't "settle" for anything when it comes to the roster, if he was going to include a character like Pac-Man on the roster, he'd make the best of it, not settle for a poorly received version of the character.
The design will be used, it existed prior to Ghostly Adventures' existence and it is not what Pac fans hate about the show.
If he acted like he does in the show, your point will stand. But a design does not determine how a character will act. This shows through Sonic especially.

Sonic in Smash Bros. is very classically focused with little reference to his modern games in his moveset and animations. Yet he uses his modern design.
Why would this be any different for Pac-Man?[/collapse]
---
That feel when your favorite characters are generally the last ones you unlock and are the ones the general fanbase wants cut.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
If you are going to main Villager, you're going to have to learn about the varies kinks to the character. It will be like Snake, you have to know when and where to pull off attacks, with bum rushing it not being an option. Like when to grow the trees, or when to use the shovel, and then capitalizing on it.
Yeah that'll be fun.

I dunno, I guess it's just the quirkiness of the character that I love.
He's just not like the others. Where many use swords and magic, he uses an umbrella.
I love characters like that. Gives them a charm that others don't have (heck, it's the reason I use Mr. G&W in the first place).

Though, going back to your statement.
I think of him as this.

The tree (probably down special) should be used as an edge-guarding technique.
The only issue I see is them taking it down. Use that to your advantage.
If they go after it, punish them.
Since we've haven't seen the full moveset, I'm not sure with what yet.
But I'd assume either his F-Air or a grab.

With the shovel (or, D-Smash as I'll call it).
It by far doesn't look like a finisher (well, there's always the edge, meteor smash maybe?).
If anything, it sounds far better to use it as retaliation.
When in a pinch, C-stick a D-Smash then punish accordingly.

Though, we know the best attack he'll have.
A SHFF'd B-Air.
Dat pressure potential.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Specify reasons. Or said things shall have not a chance of happening.
toon zelda/ tetra just seems super unlikely, they dont really help represent the zelda series at all they just kinda play off the whole toon thing, the only reason toon link exists is due to young link being important to zelda history. Geno just wont happen due to square..

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
That feel when your favorite characters are generally the last ones you unlock and are the ones the general fanbase wants cut.
I know this feel with snake mainly, but at least marth gets unlocked early on, so i'm half set.
Inb4 everyone says mega man, sonic, Rob, Ike, and snake are cut in smash 5 before they're announced

andimidna

Smash Master
I bet the next reveal will either be: Palutena, Chrom, Lucina, Takamaru, or Dixie Kong.

Isaac and Ridley would be great, but definitely save Ridley for E3.
And Isaac... hmm... when should they reveal Isaac?
I have no clue.

Replace tetra/toon zelda, kill geno and its not bad.
That'd be my critique too.
The first for uniqueness and the 2nd for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
[collapse="More Pac-Man shtuff"]Sonic the Fighters is nowhere near being anything but obscure. I've yet to have seen a sequel for such a "popular" game with a "good reputation".

I've never seen Sonic utilize any of those techniques in other games either, aside from the spindash. Which is in every Sonic game, so without evidence your point here is moot.

The game is related because of how the source material for Sonic's set was derived from the more obscure of Sonic's two fighting games, because you specifically said that lesser known aspects of a character will never be a part of smash because they're lesser known.
Just making another point, pal. No need to share some sass.

The design will be used, it existed prior to Ghostly Adventures' existence and it is not what Pac fans hate about the show.
If he acted like he does in the show, your point will stand. But a design does not determine how a character will act. This shows through Sonic especially.

Sonic in Smash Bros. is very classically focused with little reference to his modern games in his moveset and animations. Yet he uses his modern design.
Why would this be any different for Pac-Man?[/collapse]
---
I know that feeling, guy. At least my favorite is already confirmed.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Decided to give my roster a visual update.

I like it, personally. Two Miis are because why not. :p

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Decided to give my roster a visual update.

I like it, personally. Two Miis are because why not. :p
Seriously, what a load of garbage. 2 MIIS?! one mii was bad enough!

Just kidding i want to **** this roster and have its child.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom