• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
So, not to change the subject or anything, but seeing as how we did not get a character reveal today (rather unfortunate, but at least us Pokemon fans got a special treat), which of these scenarios seem more likely at this point?

1.) We get a random character reveal on the last day of the month.

2.) We don't get a character reveal this month at all, but instead get something larger than usual in April. Something along the lines of a special Direct reveal, perhaps.

3.) We don't get anything March and only get typical reveals, such as a standard Direct reveal, in April.
I'm going with choice number 3.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
^^^^^^^^^
This one. Still thinking Palutena is our "big thing" though.
Huh. I was thinking that a standard newcomer reveal in a Direct, while always an awesome thing, would fall under option 3. Option 2 would be something along the lines of some kind of game trailer, or perhaps a release date. Something along those lines. My apologies if I wasn't clear in that regard.

EDIT: Also, just out of curiosity, why Palutena, specifically? I myself think that a Fire Emblem newcomer could be more likely, especially if we see Ike soon. But that's just me, what about you?

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

2.) We don't get a character reveal this month at all, but instead get something larger than usual in April. Something along the lines of a special Direct reveal, perhaps.

3.) We don't get anything March and only get typical reveals, such as a standard Direct reveal, in April.
3 seems the most likely. Just because no characters got revealed doesn't mean no information was revealed at all. We got a lot of info compared to most months. Stages, ATs, that KI Wii U stage appeared, even! And I'm fairly sure as to what we'll see come the direct. Tuna. This influx of KI appearances and material is just like Rosalina with November.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
3 seems the most likely. Just because no characters got revealed doesn't mean no information was revealed at all. We got a lot of info compared to most months. Stages, ATs, that KI Wii U stage appeared, even! And I'm fairly sure as to what we'll see come the direct. Tuna. This influx of KI appearances and material is just like Rosalina with November.
I will admit, the amount of information we've received this month is quite stunning, even without a character reveal. I predicted earlier that we might see a spike of information over the course of the month, and I'm quite pleased to see I was correct.

And... Oh, so you're one of those strange people who support pale tuna for Smash. Can't say I understand that. ; )

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So, not to change the subject or anything, but seeing as how we did not get a character reveal today (rather unfortunate, but at least us Pokemon fans got a special treat), which of these scenarios seem more likely at this point?

Going with 3, maybe (and hoping for) 1.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm still awaiting the day Falco or Wolf get revealed. Everybody else has their 2nd character revealed except Star Fox (To a lesser extent, Fire Emblem as well)...

Last edited by a moderator:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
No, I don't know what you mean.
The otherwise mediocre-chanced Waddle Dee that definitely started to gain hope for Waddle Dee late-December to early-January. Despite Waddle Dee's chances not being as great as some of the other big-hitters like Little Mac or Ridley, the supporters stand proudly without doubt for their character. I got the air of that a while back, at least. I don't think Waddle Dee is too unlikely, but his support definitely didn't pick up until Chandelure took over Waddle Dee's support thread.

I'm saying that I could very well see Palutena's support becoming a mirror of that ever since the leak: A huge boost in morale despite nothing concrete and confirmed doing so.

That mentality.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm still awaiting the day Falco or Wolf get revealed. Everybody else has their 2nd character revealed except Star Fox (To a lesser extent, Fire Emblem as well)...
Metroid still hasn't gotten Zero Suit Samus back yet. :p

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
The otherwise mediocre-chanced Waddle Dee that definitely started to gain hope for Waddle Dee late-December to early-January. Despite Waddle Dee's chances not being as great as some of the other big-hitters like Little Mac or Ridley, the supporters stand proudly without doubt for their character. I got the air of that a while back, at least. I don't think Waddle Dee is too unlikely, but his support definitely didn't pick up until Chandelure took over Waddle Dee's support thread.

I'm saying that I could very well see Palutena's support becoming a mirror of that ever since the leak: A huge boost in morale despite nothing concrete and confirmed doing so.

That mentality.
Hey, at least we're moderating ourselves. It's not as big as we used to. Modesty!
Metroid still hasn't gotten Zero Suit Samus back yet. :p
And this is why Ridley is null for this Direct, eh?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
What is it that you Americans say? There is a first time for everything...

Extra points to whoever gets that reference.
OOH OOH LEMME GUESS

Maybe I'm wrong though...

To connect this to smash, Did you know that Franciska almost got in that one fighting game for the wii? would be cool to see a smash moveset for her.​

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

That mentality.
My only problem with that comparison is that Palutena had a sizable fanbase to begin with, something that as far as I know has always outdone Waddle Dee's fanbase.

Other than that I can kinda agree.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
My only problem with that comparison is that Palutena had a sizable fanbase to begin with, something that as far as I know has always outdone Waddle Dee's fanbase.

Other than that I can kinda agree.
Actually, no, Palutena didn't get a support fanbase until after the announcement of Kid Icarus: Uprising, but didn't greatly expand until the release of Kid Icarus: Uprising and became the definitive choice. Before hand she was hardly if ever brought up, which makes sense considering there were still bigger fish to fry and she was a mere small fry in comparison.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Actually, no, Palutena didn't get a support fanbase until after the announcement of Kid Icarus: Uprising, but didn't greatly expand until the release of Kid Icarus: Uprising and became the definitive choice. Before hand she was hardly if ever brought up, which makes sense considering there were still bigger fish to fry and she was a mere small fry in comparison.
I just meant in terms of Smash 4 speculation. Like after the game was announced and such. Obviously it didn't ramp up until after Uprising, but yeah I see what you're saying and I agree.

She still outdoes Waddle Dee by leaps and bounds though.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
However, I would expect Palutena to still get support even if she didn't get in.

Unlike varies other characters that will drop off the face of the earth due to relying heavily on what is recent.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Depends if Sakurai sees her potential. :troll:
But yeah I don't really see the franchise and the popularity peak having a playable character.
But the moveset would be incredibly irresistable.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Uprising, Sakurai developing Uprising, the revelation about her Japanese fanbase, the leak, and the statue have all given Palutena popularity boosts of varying amounts, getting her to the point she's at now.

By comparison, Bandana Dee has basically undergone the Impa Effect, and a lesser version of it, since he's only ever brought up in any significant way on this forum, whereas you'll see token Impa mentions elsewhere by people not named Diddy Kong.

I don't think they're comparable in any way, unless you want to count both of them using a disjointed weapon.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Considering Style Savvy's a new and successful IP, I wouldn't be surprised if we do get some content, even if it's something small. Runway stage GO!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, are we talking about Bandana Dee now? Seems like an interesting topic that hasn't been discussed in awhile.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
An AT for Style Savvy would be great. But you never know.
Riding down the string with a giant clothes hangar, using the clothes curtain as a shield, throwing out dress to blind the opponent, too much enjoyability to be had.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Love him or hate him, I think Bandana Dee's chances are at least better than average.

He certainly is not a shoo-in, but with Waddle Dee's already nicely sized popularity and Bandana Dee's list of roles also growing and getting stronger, he has a very real chance of getting in. Especially if Sakurai is looking for another character that is more so in general popular, (like Rosalina).

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
If it's Bandana Dee we're talking about, I think I'll keep myself to a minimum. As to prevent repeats, bad, bad repeats.

Though I will say his chances are often overrated/underrated.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Love him or hate him, I think Bandana Dee's chances are at least better than average.

He certainly is not a shoo-in, but with Waddle Dee's already nicely sized popularity and Bandana Dee's list of roles also growing and getting stronger, he has a very real chance of getting in. Especially if Sakurai is looking for another character that is more so in general popular, (like Rosalina).
I'd like to think it moreso that Rosalina had uniqueness going for her. Not the general popular reason.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I would agree that he has a fair chance. I don't think Bandana Dee is the most likely choice, but I acknowledge that he's a possibility. However, I don't think he's necessary to e roster, and that there are other higher priority characters.

That and the fact that he seems a lot like Toad to me, and we know how that ended up.

@ Gunla Gunla Was there some heated Bandana Dee discussion in the past?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I wouldn't mind Bandanna Dee, but there are certainly characters that I believe SHOULD get in before him.

Ridley, K.Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo, and a few others.

I mean the way I see it, you've got 5 newcomers already, and there are quite a few that have a good chance of getting in. You're already at like 12+ characters. In that respect, Bandanna Dee has his work cut out for him.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I wouldn't mind Bandanna Dee, but there are certainly characters that I believe SHOULD get in before him.

I mean the way I see it, you've got 5 newcomers already, and there are quite a few that have a good chance of getting in. You're already at like 12+ characters. In that respect, Bandanna Dee has his work cut out for him.
Yeah, pretty much this. I wouldn't terribly mind seeing Bandanna Dee, but if he gets in and some of those big names are left out...

Sakurai has some explaining to do.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
@ Gunla Gunla Was there some heated Bandana Dee discussion in the past?
Lots. Lots and lots of it. Being the right hand in BWD support in Smashboards get you seeing lots of it.
If you really feel like viewing it, you'll find it earlier in this thread and in RTC. It ended up being really nasty.

This is how I feel now, pretty much. (Though I'm skeptical on K Rool). It really depends on what popular picks we get and if those that have chances show up.

Sakurai has some explaining to do.
No doubt he'll find a good reasoning. I mean, he had great ones for WFT and the Villager. If it comes to that, there's going to be a reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom