• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Can someone explain to me why people are clambering for Captain Chode?
I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, but I just don't understand.
When I look at him all I see is this:
Because people have been wanting Toad, the 4th protagonist for the Mario series, to be playable honestly since the first joke of it back in the time of Melee.

Captain Toad is a Toad (meaning he could access the same moveset basis and idea that any normal Toad could) with a unique differentiation in design and a pool of resources in a moveset itself that lends to possibility as a fighter.

He's also warranted getting a spin-off title which is fairly significant.

Edit: I don't even support him but I get WHY people do

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
The only reason Inkling wasn't on my list was the costumes.

I was thinking about putting Dixie on the list but I thought people dismissed her because she is pretty similar to Diddy.

Haven't really been keeping up with Golden Sun, I thought it was dead but I guess it is more "dormant."

Bandanna Dee is still a character Sakurai made. I'm sure he would still be happy to put him in.

Captain toad <3 i really need his game.

I support him because toad is my 2nd favorite mario character (behind luigi) but captain toad is a toad. . . But with a backpack and a Head lamp. A HEADLAMP MAN.

Absolutely perfect.

Nah dixie is still pretty big. If anyone is getting dismissed its ganon for being another dorf and for being a final smash. *cries*

dixie would be a lone brings up robin being an isaac clone little mac being impossible etc etc.
Its possible she could be a clone but not necessary

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
dixie would be a clone brings up robin being an isaac clone little mac being impossible etc etc.
Its possible she could be a clone but not necessary
I never once heard "Little Mac would be impossible".

Without a doubt, however, the best Dixie Kong would get would be the Lucas or Wolf treatment in terms of having similar special moves yet a different regular moveset. Considering her placement as one of the "Forbidden Seven" of Brawl left her in the middle of a group of clones and semi-clones, I simply cannot see Sakurai giving Dixie Kong the full-blown original moveset treatment. She doesn't have to be a clone, but expect her to share at least some moves with Diddy if she ever makes it in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Her Up B and overall statistical differences from Diddy would most likely create a far more unique playstyle than most other semi-clones actually. I have a hard time imagining Dixie attacking as... Feral and beast-like as Diddy. Diddy is DKC's daredevil so to say, and significantly faster than all other Kongs to trade for Dixie's safety options with her Helicopter Spin. She'd probably trade speed and mobility versus aerial combat and rage. Resulting in a way different playstyle, her being a semi-clone or not.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Dixie Kong was originally meant to be in a tag team with Diddy Kong though (Donkey Kong Country style) so I could imagine Sakurai may have had some unique abilities for her in terms of her special moves at least. Although I guess I can see her as a semi/pseudo-clone too...

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lucas and Wolf styled semi-clone makes the most sense for Dixie. Why? Both where absent from Smash 4 when it was forst released, meaning semi-clones in general had low priority. And why make her anything less if she is to be DLC anyway? I am starting to think that both Brawl veterans and her where actually planned for DLC as soon as Sakurai realised he didn't have the time for them. He did after all stated that there where more characters he wanted to include on the roster.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Considering we are apparently also getting Roy back. On top of Dr.Mario and Mewtwo. I think there's a chance he's probably planning to revive almost every character he wished but couldn't include due to time constraints. With the exception of Toon Sheik (due to no transformations) and Pra_Mai (which we have no real clue in regards to who that actually is, and even if it was Plusle and Minun working like the Ice Climbers then I don't see them showing up before the Ice Climbers themselves).
Wolf I think we will probably see once we near the release of Starfox U.

Not sure which other veterans to expect though... I suppose there might be a chance we may see the other two Pokemon Trainer Pokemon or Pichu and maybe Snake as well, but I think they probably need to rely more on the ballot though.... :/

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
You know, the first 3D fighting game, and the first one to make it big, was Virtua Fighter and not Tekken. I think having a Tekken, Street Fighter, and a Virtua Fighter rep would be a bit much, but I'm just throwing that out there.

It's kind of crazy that people go straight to "a second Sonic rep" as the SEGA go to when the company has a more diverse portfolio of classic IPs then even Nintendo.

It just goes to show you how much value their brand has lost over the the years.
Maybe a PSO or Skies of Arcadia character I just can't think of a more suitable 2nd rep than a Sonic character.
I don't think so. Tekken is popular, but Jin Kazama isn't really that notable of a character like Ryu is and Sega doesn't have any other franchise that's worthy to be in Smash, and I doubt Sakurai would want for third party series to have more than one character.
Capcom is getting a 2nd rep my point is Ryu is just opening that opportunity for more 3rd parties so characters not necessarily Jin Kazama from those respective companies can join. I can honestly just think of a Tekken character joining for a 2nd Namco/Bandai rep and a PSO or Skies of Arcadia character other than a sonic character joining for a 2nd Sega rep.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Maybe a PSO or Skies of Arcadia character I just can't think of a more suitable 2nd rep than a Sonic character.
Capcom is getting a 2nd rep my point is Ryu is just opening that opportunity for more 3rd parties so characters not necessarily Jin Kazama from those respective companies can join. I can honestly just think of a Tekken character joining for a 2nd Namco/Bandai rep and a PSO or Skies of Arcadia character other than a sonic character joining for a 2nd Sega rep.
A Phantasy Star Online rep in Smash Bros.?
Kireek, please?

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

I don't really think Sega has made any huge recognizable series besides Sonic.

Edit: By the way has anyone seen this from last Summer?

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Phantasy Star is still around in general so I could see that series having a chance at a rep. In terms of the original series, the only characters I can really think of that would be fitting for Smash are Alis Landale(the first PS Main character and one of the few first Heroines for video games back then), Nei(being the first Newman), Wren(one of the first CASTs and in 2 games) and Rika(the second Newman).
I don't know anything about PSO. I never got the chance to play the originals so I don't know what characters that game could bring. To be honest, the only post PS games I've played were PSP2 and PSZ.

Besides Phantasy Star which is still going well in Japan, I can't exactly think of any possible 2nd Sega reps besides a Sonic rep. Which is very sad considering they had a ton of awesome series back then. The only other series I could possibly see getting in Smash besides Phantasy Star would be a Megami Tensei rep and that's more of an Atlus rep rather than a Sega rep.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As awesome as PSO is, it doesnt really have any stand out, popular characters, so a character from those games would feel extremely shoehorned-in.
If they did choose one, though it would probably be Rico Tyrell, who is a major background character in the first PSO game and has made cameos in other Phantasy Star games.

This is Rico:

StormC

Smash Hero
The M.U.G.E.N. thing is paranoia xD Smash always will be a Nintendo All-Stars Game (with some guests)
If some folks had their way, those guests would include C-list third party characters.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Second Major SEGA character?

SEGA now has ownership of Atlus.

So why not the mascot for that company which is present in SMT, its spinoffs, even a cameo in Etrian Odyssey, and even starred in a VITRUAL BOY game of all things! Jack Frost 4 Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Summing up some of the most popular 1st party newcomer choices:

King K. Rool: A much beloved villain from the Donkey Kong series, a good fit for Smash. Arguably the most popular newcomer choice.
Isaac: The main character from a dead, yet loved RPG made by Nintendo. He was an assist trophy in the previous installment. highly supported by fans.
Bandanna Dee: The only main Kirby character to not be included in Smash. One of Sakurai's characters so that ups his chances. He is a pretty popular character, but not supported as much as K. Rool and Isaac.
Captain Toad: Toad has been supported for Smash for a long time. Now there's a specific Toad named Captain Toad. He stars in his own game and has plenty of unique tools he could bring to the battlefield. Not as popular as the above mentioned three but still has some popularity going for him.
Impa: The most popular Zelda choice. She is one of the few characters left in the series that has appeared throughout the Zelda timeline. She could have an interesting moveset as well. Probably among the same levels as Captain Toad in popularity.
Ganon: The other popular Zelda choice. There are two Zeldas and two Links so it only makes sense to have two Ganondorfs or rather Ganons. He could have an interesting moveset and be another villain which we need.

Now onto third party newcomers:

Rayman: His series goes far back with Nintendo consoles and his games are loved very much. The main issue with him is the problems going on with Nintendo and Ubisoft lately. He is highly supported by fans and arguably the most popular third party choice.
Banjo and Kazooie: They use to be a big Nintendo icon back in the 90s and early 2000s. There games were much beloved and well received. However, they are owned by Microsoft now which is their main issue. They are also very highly supported by fans.
Shovel Knight: An indy character who is very new. His game is very well received and he has a moveset that fits very well into Smash. He is pretty highly supported but not quite at the level of Rayman and Banjo. The main question is "does he really fit in with all of those legendary third parties?"
Shantae: An older indy character who has a history on Nintendo consoles. She is pretty highly supported by fans. Her games are liked and she is also said to fit into smash perfectly. Her main is issue is the same as Shovel Knight, "does she really fit in with all of those legendary third parties?" If you asked me I would say no.
Ryu: He is a very big icon in gaming and his games helped define fighting games. He has become very popular ever since the leak. His main issue is Capcom already having Mega Man as a rep.
Bomberman: He's been around for a long time and has a big history with Nintendo consoles. A big icon in gaming and would be a very unique character. His main issue is the fact that he's owned by Konami now.

Did I miss anyone? If so please do tell.
Toad was a specific toad. Captain Toad just walked along and everyone was like "Captain Toad wears a headlamp and a backpack! So long Toad" and they never spoke of him again.
We technically only have only have one Zelda. The only reason why we seem to have two is because Zelda and Sheik were separated. But they are still the same incarnation of Zelda.
Why? Shovel Knight and Shantae might not have the legendary status, but they would certainly fit in.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not too sure about Jack Frost, doesn't seem like a candidate that would be planned pre-ballot, nor ballot since I'm seeing a low number of votes for him.
Trust me.
I don't have any massive hope for him either.
But he has more merit behind him than basically any other series done by SEGA who has more or less put all their eggs in a Hedgehog shaped basket... being the mascot for a company and its biggest series and all its subsidiaries.
I mean... SEGA's biggest Non-Sonic home series (excluding... namely Bayonetta) is maybe NiGHTs off of repeated cameos and two games... last one being in 2007/2008 on the Wii.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Trust me.
I don't have any massive hope for him either.
But he has more merit behind him than basically any other series done by SEGA who has more or less put all their eggs in a Hedgehog shaped basket... being the mascot for a company and its biggest series and all its subsidiaries.
I mean... SEGA's biggest Non-Sonic home series (excluding... namely Bayonetta) is maybe NiGHTs off of repeated cameos and two games... last one being in 2007/2008 on the Wii.
Nah, its totally Super Monkey Ball. Gotta love dem chimps.

mark welford

Smash Ace
The last thing I want is Smash Bros. turning into MUGEN.
I doubt that it will become that way even though Ryu is coming I just hope for 1 more Sega and Namco-Bandai rep to balance it out because it will seriously bother me seeing that one third party has one more rep than the other two.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I doubt that it will become that way even though Ryu is coming I just hope for 1 more Sega and Namco-Bandai rep to balance it out because it will seriously bother me seeing that one third party has one more rep than the other two.
This is exactly why I don't want Ryu. Because we'd have to balance it out or forever deal with unbalanced third parties. Balancing makes it really hard for deserving others to get in, like Rayman.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
This is exactly why I don't want Ryu. Because we'd have to balance it out or forever deal with unbalanced third parties. Balancing makes it really hard for deserving others to get in, like Rayman.
Also I think 6 third parties from only 3 companies is a little much. Konami, Sqaure, and possibly Ubisoft deserve reps.

btw ITS GOLDEN LOTUS. saw u on dem smash discussion vids for Lord Jackal.

StormC

Smash Hero
I simply question the attitude many people have regarding a Nintendo crossover game.

For one instance, I don't really want a Final Fantasy character in Smash because the series lacks a mascot that is an actual developed character and not a drone. When I pointed this out, someone said "well, who do you think should be the Square-Enix rep in Smash?" As if Square-Enix representation is an already done deal and we need to accommodate for it.

Similarly, someone once suggested that we need Banjo-Kazooie to "represent Rare," even though Rare hasn't been a part of Nintendo for over a decade, and we already have Donkey Kong Country characters - actual Nintendo characters - to represent that.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Also I think 6 third parties from only 3 companies is a little much. Konami, Sqaure, and possibly Ubisoft deserve reps.

btw ITS GOLDEN LOTUS. saw u on dem smash discussion vids for Lord Jackal.
"Reps."

So it'd be fine if we got Master Higgins, Sora, or Ezio because they would "represent" those other companies? Because from what I can tell, it's Snake and Rayman in specific people want, not just the companies getting a share of Smash 4's profit.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
"Reps."

So it'd be fine if we got Master Higgins, Sora, or Ezio because they would "represent" those other companies? Because from what I can tell, it's Snake and Rayman in specific people want, not just the companies getting a share of Smash 4's profit.
Well I was saying reps since theres debate on Square Enix and Konami reps. Personally I want Bub and Bomberman but there are other choices for Square Enix like Sora, Cloud, Black Mage, Slime, Chocobo. And there are other choices for Konami like Snake and Simon Belmont. Rayman is the only Ubisoft character that deserves to be in.

StormC

Smash Hero
"Reps."

I actually wouldn't be opposed to Sora if I had to pick a Square-Enix character, since outside of Cloud and, uh, Lightning, he's the closest thing the company has to a mascot.

But yeah, "reps" in Nintendo series is already pretty tricky business. Saying a third party company deserves a rep in a Nintendo crossover is a pretty loaded statement. I'm personally content with Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man, and feel that those are the big video game icons with enough overlap with Nintendo that warrant being added to Smash Bros. I want Snake back because he's a veteran with a fantastic playstyle and my favorite video game character, not because he's so important to Nintendo's history.

Definitely not a fan of adding random third parties just because they'd be neat or whatever.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I actually wouldn't be opposed to Sora if I had to pick a Square-Enix character, since outside of Cloud and, uh, Lightning, he's the closest thing the company has to a mascot.

But yeah, "reps" in Nintendo series is already pretty tricky business. Saying a third party company deserves a rep in a Nintendo crossover is a pretty loaded statement. I'm personally content with Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man, and feel that those are the video game icons big enough with enough overlap with Nintendo that warrant being added to Smash Bros. I want Snake back because he's a veteran with a fantastic play style and my favorite video game character, not because he's so important to Nintendo's history.
Well I believe companies that have affected Nintendo's history or are big companies that have continually worked with Nintendo deserve reps like Square Enix. I picked Bub for a Square Enix rep mainly because he is always on Nintendo systems with some exceptions.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I'm all for Ryu because the more the merrier and that is just your opinion that Rayman or others are more deserving I understand that everyone has a personal bias and if anything Ryu increases Rayman's chances.

I simply question the attitude many people have regarding a Nintendo crossover game.

For one instance, I don't really want a Final Fantasy character in Smash because the series lacks a mascot that is an actual developed character and not a drone. When I pointed this out, someone said "well, who do you think should be the Square-Enix rep in Smash?" As if Square-Enix representation is an already done deal and we need to accommodate for it.

Similarly, someone once suggested that we need Banjo-Kazooie to "represent Rare," even though Rare hasn't been a part of Nintendo for over a decade, and we already have Donkey Kong Country characters - actual Nintendo characters - to represent that.
You can question that nobody is going to stop you but Sakurai a lot of the times has put the majority over the minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom