• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Right, the main protagonist of Pokemon doesn't need to be here.

It's seemingly impossible to go into any character related topic without it ending badly. Ridley it is then.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, may as well go for broke.

Kid Icarus characters in Smash (4 or future installments): discuss.

EDIT: Bonus marks for discussing Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Right, the main protagonist of Pokemon doesn't need to be here.

It's seemingly impossible to go into any character related topic without it ending badly. Ridley it is then.
In your defence, unlike a certain someone we actually reached an ending. :rolleyes:

:231:

. . . . . . . . . . . . Do I really need to say it?
The only chance anyone has is smash 5 if Uprising 2 happens. In that case Viridi is basically guaranteed to return unlike Hades and Medusa who are much much less likely to appear. No promises Viridi would have her role be minor like Medusa's in Uprising but at least she would still be relevant

Alternatively whatever new character becomes the villain may have a chance.
Magnus is sill boring as hell and not important to the plot.

As for Fire Emblem Tiki seems to be the only one with a chance from past games. The dancer seems to already be popular but we don't have enough info.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Viridi, it has to be Viridi. Dark Pit could use some Luigification.

I could see Fire Emblem not getting any newcomer next time. Just keeping Marth, Ike, and Robin, probably dropping Lucina.

In your defence, unlike a certain someone we actually reached an ending. :rolleyes:

I know when I'm not going to get anywhere.

D

Deleted member

"Right, the main protagonist of Pokemon doesn't need to be here."

When the focus of both the franchise and its representation in Smash is based on the monsters that fight each other and the only logical means to fit in the "designated protagonist" is no longer available (commanding their team of monsters on the sidelines), no, they really don't. :rolleyes:

EDIT: On the subject of Kid Icarus, I find it very unlikely there will be any newcomers.
As for Pittoo, he's give or take. He'll either stay due to how little work he actually requires (and get blamed again if any character is cut or certain new characters don't get added) or be cut specifically for being a divisive bonus character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823

I don't think Kid Icarus needs a 4th representative anytime soon, but if it did get one my choice would probably be Medusa.

The only Fire Emblem character I would like to see as DLC or Smash 5 is our boy :roypm:.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm open to these FE pals - Lyn, Roy, Tiki, Anna, Hector, Ephraim.

Marth expies are a no-go, however.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm completely convinced any FE newcomers will be from the newest iteration. Lucina is, IMO, the only one in danger of getting cut.

I like Lucina, so that makes me sad.

D

Deleted member

If we're lucky, we'll get "Blue Haired Dancer" and she'll have a Lucina palette/alt. :troll:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Since there's evidently nothing to talk about, I might as well share this-

Ultimate Smash Roster Roster.png

It's a roster with 8 new characters, 1 clone, and one semi-clone.
I'm going to use the term "additional content" instead of "DLC" since I'm rather tired of the term.

Here they are in order of likelihood:

-Mewtwo is confirmed. I don't know how his success will dictate what comes after, but I'm guessing that Nintendo will be looking at how many customers bought both versions of the game, and how well the standalone Mewtwo sells.

-I consider Wolf and Lucas to be very likely, and the first characters after Mewtwo to be additional content.

-The more I think about Isaac, the more I believe he is in the works. He's got potential, and he's popular. I wonder if they cut all traces of him to make him available if they wanted addition content.

-King K. Rool is, in my opinion, the most likely newcomer if they are additional content. Donkey Kong deserves a new character and King K. Rool is a really popular suggestion, and has been for a very long time. Dixie Kong is a close second, and I imagine her as borrowing moves from Diddy Kong.

-Captain Toad. Not much else to say.

-Inkling. Would probably be the last additional content. Has potential, but their likelihood will probably depend on if Splatoon does well.

-Pig Ganon. I honestly believe this to be the most likely Zelda newcomer. He would solve multiple issues, including Ganondorf being a clone, and there being no new Zelda character. Impa, by demand, is likely as a low-effort Sheik clone, with maybe a few differences like Dr. Mario.

D

Deleted member

After the issue with Ridley, I don't see any form of Beast Ganon making the cut (especially not since one incarnation is a Final Smash).
Granted, in Beast Ganon's more classic depiction as a blue pig man, his proportions would visually look fine and work right if he was scaled down like Ganondorf was, but considering that Ganondorf had to be scaled down in the first place and is still one of the larger fighters, his considerably larger porcine state may not be such a good idea.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Since there's evidently nothing to talk about, I might as well share this-

View attachment 44358

It's a roster with 8 new characters, 1 clone, and one semi-clone.
I'm going to use the term "additional content" instead of "DLC" since I'm rather tired of the term.

Here they are in order of likelihood:

-Mewtwo is confirmed. I don't know how his success will dictate what comes after, but I'm guessing that Nintendo will be looking at how many customers bought both versions of the game, and how well the standalone Mewtwo sells.

-I consider Wolf and Lucas to be very likely, and the first characters after Mewtwo to be additional content.

-The more I think about Isaac, the more I believe he is in the works. He's got potential, and he's popular. I wonder if they cut all traces of him to make him available if they wanted addition content.

-King K. Rool is, in my opinion, the most likely newcomer if they are additional content. Donkey Kong deserves a new character and King K. Rool is a really popular suggestion, and has been for a very long time. Dixie Kong is a close second, and I imagine her as borrowing moves from Diddy Kong.

-Captain Toad. Not much else to say.

-Inkling. Would probably be the last additional content. Has potential, but their likelihood will probably depend on if Splatoon does well.

-Pig Ganon. I honestly believe this to be the most likely Zelda newcomer. He would solve multiple issues, including Ganondorf being a clone, and there being no new Zelda character. Impa, by demand, is likely as a low-effort Sheik clone, with maybe a few differences like Dr. Mario.
There are some characters that make me cringe to hear brought up as clones. Impa to Shiek is one, with Doc Louis and Little Mac close behind. Heck, I've seen people saying Takamaru or Saki Amamiya (Two of my most wanted as of current) would be stock characters.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
For Kid Icarus, I think it depends on where the series goes from here.
For Fire Emblem, I just want the Boy Roy back in Smash Bros:roypm:.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I personally am more of the thinking that I want characters who are completely unique and aren't already in the game in some form. Isaac, Inklings, cut vets, Wonder Red, etc...are good choices to me. Not that Beast Form Ganon wouldn't be a good choice in some capacity, but if I'm paying for new characters, I want them to feel like they should be there and present something really new.

But that's just me. Hell, I would be a HUGE supporter of Paper Mario if he weren't a 3rd Mario. I believe he'd be cool (if they did him how I think they should), but I also want a more diverse roster that includes more unique characters.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Of course, the one time a topic I enjoy gets brought up no one wants to argue.

I guess no one can contest that Viridi is the best choice :smash:
I think Viridi is the most likely character by default. She's the only character that's likely to return that isn't yet playable in Smash, since Medusa kicked the bucket and Hades is probably out for good too.

I like to imagine the Smash trio plus Viridi as the "big four" of Kid Icarus. Should a new game be released sometime soon, I'd love to see Pittoo get something of a makeover and some new powers, and Viridi to remain a prominent figure. Luigify Pittoo (and hopefully offer him a different name so he doesn't get typecast as "Edge Pit") and add Viridi to the roster - job done! :3

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
.....I'm so tempted to put Aerodactyl on the roster I'm making as a new fighter; but I'm worried about having too many Pokemon on the roster. But I'm so tempted to.

Goddamnit, I am indeed. :p

#SmashWorldProblems

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
After the issue with Ridley, I don't see any form of Beast Ganon making the cut (especially not since one incarnation is a Final Smash).
Granted, in Beast Ganon's more classic depiction as a blue pig man, his proportions would visually look fine and work right if he was scaled down like Ganondorf was, but considering that Ganondorf had to be scaled down in the first place and is still one of the larger fighters, his considerably larger porcine state may not be such a good idea.
What?
Ganon would fit just fine. In most games he is close to the same size as Ganondorf.
The only exceptions I've seen are A Link Between Worlds and Four Swords Adventures.

There are some characters that make me cringe to hear brought up as clones. Impa to Shiek is one, with Doc Louis and Little Mac close behind. Heck, I've seen people saying Takamaru or Saki Amamiya (Two of my most wanted as of current) would be stock characters.
Well, in my opinion, I don't think Impa is worth including by herself, so that's why she is a clone.
I also think that Sheik is basically taking the moveset Impa should have had to begin with.
We've been over this, guys.

I personally am more of the thinking that I want characters who are completely unique and aren't already in the game in some form. Isaac, Inklings, cut vets, Wonder Red, etc...are good choices to me. Not that Beast Form Ganon wouldn't be a good choice in some capacity, but if I'm paying for new characters, I want them to feel like they should be there and present something really new.
But that's just me. Hell, I would be a HUGE supporter of Paper Mario if he weren't a 3rd Mario. I believe he'd be cool (if they did him how I think they should), but I also want a more diverse roster that includes more unique characters.
Pig Ganon isn't in the game in any form, though. Beast Ganon is, in my opinion, not "Ganon" as seen the majority of the games.
I believe that Ganondorf and Sheik are both inferior versions of characters that should be in Smash, Ganon and Impa respectively.
And I love Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I can't really get behind Beast Ganon, being honest.

Derivative or otherwise, Ganondorf is fine by me.

I mean I like Ganon just because he is a big pig monster. I don't think LoZ even needs anything new because I like Ganondorf already. Impa bores me more than most other character suggestions.

Although I would gladly take Midna.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Guys, I think we're confusing Ganons.

Here's (presumably) something akin to what Kenith wants:

Here's what's already in Smash:

Two different Ganons. :p

OoT Ganon would definitely be a unique fighter, since he'd probably end up being one of the heaviest fighters and he'd have a dual-wielding playstyle; so he's a valid option. Not the most likely one, but certainly more sensical than someone like Vaati. :p

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
No, I know exactly what Kenith means.

I still just happen to prefer Ganondorf in every way.

EDIT: That being said, I did write up two potential movesets for Beast Ganon~

Last edited:
this is the ganon I wouldn't mind and the one taht seems to be brought up the most.

also my spear-like biasthe
No, I know exactly what Kenith means.

I still just happen to prefer Ganondorf in every way.

EDIT: That being said, I did write up two potential movesets for Beast Ganon~
palutena version doesn't count :glare:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Guys, I think we're confusing Ganons.

Here's (presumably) something akin to what Kenith wants:

Here's what's already in Smash:

Two different Ganons. :p

OoT Ganon would definitely be a unique fighter, since he'd probably end up being one of the heaviest fighters and he'd have a dual-wielding playstyle; so he's a valid option. Not the most likely one, but certainly more sensical than someone like Vaati. :p
I don't know, Vaati is the second most important villain in the series behind Ganon/Ganondorf and Impa... is Impa. Bodyguard of Zelda and officially recognized series staple by Nintendo at least as of HW.

I'd say that their shot aren't too far off behind Beast Ganon, even if it pains me to say they would be behind in the first place.

All in all they're all very interesting character concepts.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's not quite right either.
THIS is what I'm referring to.

The trident is a must, the red cape, is a must.
And by the by, it's less what I WANT personally, rather what I think is simply the best choice.
Kinda like how I wanted Lucina, but supported Robin anyway.

If I had to choose between Midna and Pig Ganon I'll be damned if I choose Ganon.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ganon is cool, but I'm still waiting for Ganondorf first.

But that will never happen, so I guess I'll kick it with Link. :4link:

I don't know, Vaati is the second most important villain in the series behind Ganon/Ganondorf and Impa... is Impa. Bodyguard of Zelda and officially recognized series staple by Nintendo at least as of HW.

I'd say that their shot aren't too far off behind Beast Ganon, even if it pains me to say they would be behind in the first place.

All in all they're all very interesting character concepts.
officially recognized. . .by a non-canon spin-off :confused: I guess darunia and agitha are recognized staples :troll:

also pretty sure ganon is more important than vaati. First LoZ and all that

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What?
Ganon would fit just fine. In most games he is close to the same size as Ganondorf.
The only exceptions I've seen are A Link Between Worlds and Four Swords Adventures.
Not even close.
I'll explain why when I get home from class.

Pig Ganon isn't in the game in any form, though. Beast Ganon is, in my opinion, not "Ganon" as seen the majority of the games.
Opinion =/= fact.
There is no "Pig Ganon". There is only "Ganon" or "Beast Ganon" as he's referred to in Brawl/Smash 4, which was most likely an error coming from the Japanese version listing it as "Dark Beast Ganon" after his title in TP, Dark Beast, Ganon.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Opinion =/= fact.
There is no "Pig Ganon". There is only "Ganon" or "Beast Ganon" as he's referred to in Brawl/Smash 4, which was most likely an error coming from the Japanese version listing it as "Dark Beast Ganon" after his title in TP, Dark Beast, Ganon.
I know that.
I added "Pig" to differentiate. Toon Link is not called "Toon Link" in The Wind Waker.
You can call him Ganon if you want, but in principle it's the same idea.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
officially recognized. . .by a non-canon spin-off :confused: I guess darunia and agitha are recognized staples :troll:

also pretty sure ganon is more important than vaati. First LoZ and all that
What I meant was official statements by Nintendo regarding her to be a series staple particularly around her announcement and E3 and her treatment of canonical placement and high level of focus within the game, which mind you, was likely primarily decided by Aonuma.

Also, pretty sure I said behind Ganon and Ganondorf. From a canon character standpoint, they are the same entity, so Vaati is second. I am aware that that is irrelevant however, because Smash and overall gameplay seperates the two.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
According to that interview with Sakurai where he says Mewtwo is almost done, he mentions that he was really thinking about having Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club as a character in Melee, but didn't include her due to lack of notoriety outside of Japan.

What do people think? Knowing that she had an honest chance at one point, would people rally behind her? Does she have any hopes of being DLC?
Pokemon Trainer was never a clone of anyone for starters (though the Trainer himself never really did anything anyway).

There's really no other way to bring him back as he was with transformations gone.

Why would they not bring back that trainer in specific when the idea is to just have a generic trainer in the first place.

He was never supposed to be Red, he was a substitute for every Pokemon Trainer. Costumes are a thing now too.
Oh my God. By the time Smash 5 comes out we could be in Gen 8 of Pokemon. Each costume gives us that Gen's Trainer male/female and the Pokemon used could be changed as well too... So Gen 1 Trainer would have Up+B Pidgeotto for his standard for example, but the custom moves could change it to Pidgeot or Pidgey and give more distance, but less speed, etc. Holy balls.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
palutena version doesn't count :glare:
kekekekek~ :3

Oh my God. By the time Smash 5 comes out we could be in Gen 8 of Pokemon. Each costume gives us that Gen's Trainer male/female and the Pokemon used could be changed as well too... So Gen 1 Trainer would have Up+B Pidgeotto for his standard for example, but the custom moves could change it to Pidgeot or Pidgey and give more distance, but less speed, etc. Holy balls.
It's a whole new world of possibilities, my friend~

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Ganon has been and always will be my most wanted Zelda character. Fixes my issues with Falcondorf, having a trident wielder would be awesome, gives 2 versions of each main LoZ character, and unlike almost all other possible Zelda characters, he's actually consistently important to the series.

Larger, yes. Considerably? Not really. Wouldn't require much more scaling down then Ganondorf did.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'll be satisfied if we can somehow just get :squirtle: and :ivysaur: back.

I just wish that people would stop saying there's no point of having Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back as standalone fighters like Charizard because they aren't popular/important enough to be standalone fighters like Charizard. :rolleyes:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I just wish that people would stop saying there's no point of having Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back as standalone fighters like Charizard because they aren't popular/important enough to be standalone fighters like Charizard. :rolleyes:
I agree...any unique character that is cut is a loss in my opinion...
That's why, even if Snake never comes back (and it looks like that's the case) I really someone to inherit a similar moveset.
Replace his stupid Dsmash though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I agree...any unique character that is cut is a loss in my opinion...
That's why, even if Snake never comes back (and it looks like that's the case) I really someone to inherit a similar moveset.
Replace his stupid Dsmash though.
Wish granted!

:troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom