• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Banjo-Kazooie is insanely important to Nintendo's history and they should go out of their way to get them back from M$.

It's like stabbing myself in the heart.

Okay this is getting ridiculous. Lets talk about literally anything else. But let's stay in the realm of mario rpgs based on the recent "leak." who wants to talk about paper mario?

Plenty of unique moveset potential and his games are pretty great. At least the 3 i have played.
Also i would take any excuse for rawk hawk's theme

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Oh sorry I want to talk about Smash on the Smash World forums.

Last thing about Geno:

I can see him having a nice cameo, but no main role yet.
Maybe a building "carreer" like Fawful.

I'd LOVE Paper Mario!
So much potential.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Paper Mario is, for me, the most reasonable choice for an RPG rep. There's so much he could bring to the table, both as a unique character and as an excuse to have more Paper Mario content in the game.

I can't speak for his chances, but I'd like to see him in.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Paper Mario, has, like, all of the moveset potential.
My moveset for him has him with a group of partners from the first two games, and swapping between them changes his neutral and side specials.

A thought just occured to me. let's say sakurai thinks toad, captain or otherwise, isn't battle reaady. Now mario, being the flagship series, is basically allowed to have as many "reps" as it wants. Plus they are guaranteed to sell

If that leak is real, it's possible paper mario will become the most "relavent" mario character to be available for smash. . .

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Paper Mario gives me the same vibes as the Jumpman suggestion.

Do we really need three Marios? Would Paper Mario even be any different? :4drmario:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
A thought just occured to me. let's say sakurai thinks toad, captain or otherwise, isn't battle reaady. Now mario, being the flagship series, is basically allowed to have as many "reps" as it wants. Plus they are guaranteed to sell

If that leak is real, it's possible paper mario will become the most "relavent" mario character to be available for smash. . .
Less battle ready than Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B and Villager?

Do we really need three Marios? Would Paper Mario even be any different? :4drmario:
Paper mario shoots fireballs and burns humself to ashes by accident. RIP

He, potentially, has partners and many possible moves, but your comparison Isnt unwarranted.

He at least looks more different And im pretty sure he isnt canonically the same mario but i dont remember

Less battle ready than Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B and Villager?
i bever said it was logical. But if he said it at first for villager i could see him saying it for toad.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Do we really need three Marios?
Yes, because the fate of the world literally depends on a third Mario being DLC for Smash 4. It's a matter of life and death so please be considerate of everyone else

:troll:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
He at least looks more different And isnt canonically the same mario
Got an official statement on that? I was sure that it's just Mario in a different art style.

Sure he could do something different, but that's not to say he would.

History shows that alternate versions of characters just stay clones, not even Toon Link uses tools from his game.
:4drmario::4tlink::4darkpit:

Dr. Mario and Pittoo even originally started as costumes, and many never made it past the costume stage.
:4wiremac::4robinf::4villagerf::4wario2::4wiifitm:

The only exceptions are characters who were explicitly originally intended as mid-match moveset changes.
:4sheik::4zss:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright guys, enough of the Blue/Jumpman bashing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

No, three isn't enough!!! We need ten Marios!

Mario
Dr. Mario
Paper Mario
Baby Mario
Tanooki Mario
Chef Mario
Mario & Luigi
Mario & Yoshi
Mario & Luma
Jumpman

Got an official statement on that? I was sure that it's just Mario in a different art style.

History shows that alternate versions of characters just stay clones, not even Toon Link uses tools from his game.

Dr. Mario and Pittoo even originally started as costumes, and many never made it past the costume stage.

The only exceptions are characters who were explicitly originally intended as mid-match moveset changes.
Y'know i really need to start doubke checking my posts. Meant to put pretty sure but oh well.

And i do see your point. I dint think he would be an alt for being 2d but unfortunately i could see a semiclone :/

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

There's no way he would be a clone of Mario; it's not even feasible.
Mario's moveset would be nearly impossible to translate to Paper Mario without making huge changes to it, at which you might as well make him unique.
Not saying he's particularly likely, but if Paper Mario were included he would be nothing less than a completely unique character.
Aside from being Mario in a different artstyle.

D

Deleted member

Am I going to have to raise up the points on why "Paper Mario can't be a clone" is a poor argument again, or can you just take my word for it and spare us both from a long-winded debate?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Here's a relatively little used topic of discussion, a remade Pokemon Trainer.

I could see him using a small Pokemon similarly to Luma, he could summon Pokemon to do his special moves too.

His standard attacks would be Air-Mac weak without his Pokemon buddy's help.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

IMO, "Overalls Wario" :4wario2: should be a separate character with an unique moveset based on Wario Land games. I like "Wario" :4wario: but I am not satisfied with his inclusion because when I supported for Wario to be in Smash pre-Brawl, I did so because I really liked Wario Land games (especially Wario Land 3) and I wanted Wario to have moves that involve power-up hats (dragon, bull, jet) and power-up transformations (vampire, ball o' string, bouncy, etc.). That would make :4wario2: unique and not a clone of :4wario: but I know it won't happen. :ohwell:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I could see him using a small Pokemon similarly to Luma, he could summon Pokemon to do his special moves too.
Which Pokemon would it be, though?
My vote goes to Pidgey. Though personally I'd rather he was just a straight up summon character.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

So he would summon different Pokémon for different attacks, I take it?

Doesn't that sound quite similar to Olimar? At least on a theoretical level?

:231:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Which Pokemon would it be, though?
My vote goes to Pidgey. Though personally I'd rather he was just a straight up summon character.
I mentioned that he could summon Pokemon for his specials, just give them specific moves. Up Special > Summons Flying type > uses Fly > returns to ball > helpless fall. He could have four summons, one for each special, plus the small one and possibly another for the final smash, giving him a full team of six Pokemon. There's all sorts of possibilities.

So he would summon different Pokémon for different attacks, I take it?

Doesn't that sound quite similar to Olimar? At least on a theoretical level?

More like Rosalina, the summoned Pokemon would be relegated to special moves.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario

ALL OF MY YES. Except for the whole Luma Idea, prefer straight up summons.

*Ahem*

I could prepare a moveset using what time I have left before going back to being grounded.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I mentioned that he could summon Pokemon for his specials, just give them specific moves. Up Special > Summons Flying type > uses Fly > returns to ball > helpless fall. He could have four summons, one for each special, plus the small one and possibly another for the final smash, giving him a full team of six Pokemon. There's all sorts of possibilities.

More like Rosalina, the summoned Pokemon would be relegated to special moves.
No, not at all. Olimar doesn't summon Pikmin for specific, he plucks Pikmin separately which augment his entire moveset.
I mean, take a look.

Summoning Pokémon --> :4olimar: (in a way)
Using Pokémon for Special moves --> :4olimar: / :rosalina:
Helpless without his Pokémon --> :4olimar:
-------------------------
I'm taking it that his normal attacks depend on the last summoned Pokémon --> :4robinm:
-------------------------

It essentially is a Olimarobin without the micro-management. Not saying it's a bad idea, just pointing out the similarities.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It essentially is a Olimarobin without the micro-management. Not saying it's a bad idea, just pointing out the similarities.
Not really, Olimar plucks Pikmin and then uses them for attacks. What I'm saying is that the Pokemon would literally be the attacks, the Pokemon being just visual cues so the Trainer isn't just randomly flying up into the air. Examples:
Neutral Special: Strength
Trainer summons Sawk, who pulls out a boulder and throws it like a projectile. (Hey, it makes about as much sense as Charizard pulling out a rock and using Rock Smash)
Side Special: Surf
Trainer summons Milotic and jumps onto it. Milotic performs Surf, sliding across the ground on a wave of water. Similar to Clown Car Dash, sort of. Rises slightly a bit in the air before dropping.
Up Special: Fly
Trainer summons Dragonite and quickly jumps onto it. Dragonite performs Fly, rising quickly up into the air with a damaging swipe. At the end of this movement, Dragonite returns to its Pokeball, leaving Trainer to fall back on stage.
Down Special: Cut
Trainer summons Scizor, who does a high damage slash (that can cut down Villager's tree like the axe :troll:). Could also function as a counter, because Pokemon moves do weird things in Smash.

I used random Pokemon so it'd be easier to visualize.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In this hypothetical, would Pokémon Trainer:

a. "bring back" scrapped Pokémon (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu) in his moveset
b. be based on Red's team (sans Pikachu and Charizard) from the games
c. be based off Red in Origins with Pokémon like Jolteon, Gengar, Persian, etc. (without Charizard)
d. just use any random assortment of Pokémon

?

Pokemon trainer from Firered/leafgreen would not be brought back reworked like that. I guarantee it. Now a different trainer or the ranger (which is a perfect idea) maybe. But I sincerely don't think they are going to take an older character and do tht to him when his entire gimmick was 3 other characters

D

Deleted member

Not really wild about this idea to be honest.

Just comes off as a way to shoehorn Pokémon Trainer back into the game.
Dangerously similar to the notion of shoehorning Young Link back into the game by making him transform using masks for attacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Not really wild about this idea to be honest.

Just comes off as a way to shoehorn Pokémon Trainer back into the game.
Dangerously similar to the notion of shoehorning Young Link back into the game by making him transform using masks for attacks.
Pokemon Trainer was never a clone of anyone for starters (though the Trainer himself never really did anything anyway).

There's really no other way to bring him back as he was with transformations gone.
Pokemon trainer from Firered/leafgreen would not be brought back reworked like that. I guarantee it. Now a different trainer or the ranger (which is a perfect idea) maybe. But I sincerely don't think they are going to take an older character and do tht to him when his entire gimmick was 3 other characters
Why would they not bring back that trainer in specific when the idea is to just have a generic trainer in the first place.

He was never supposed to be Red, he was a substitute for every Pokemon Trainer. Costumes are a thing now too.

D

Deleted member

Just like Young Link, Pokémon Trainer doesn't need to come back since he's served his no longer required purpose. Hence, trying to work him in through arbitrary means (again, just like the masks idea for Young Link) is just shoehorning him in for the sake of shoehorning him in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom