• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
15 characters would mean so many cuts in smash 5. That or a huge dev time lol. I honestly vant think of that many i really care for
Not necessarily. If they don't spend time and resources on unnecessary BS (a common trend in Smash Bros. *cough*Smash Tour*cough*SSE*cough*) I'm confident we could get a roster of nearly 70 characters by the next generation.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Pauline and Jumpman are very difficult to take seriously as suggestions, considering the people who make them are generally just anti-K. Rool/Dixie/DKC/Rare people who still want to keep up the pretense of catering to DK fans.

Not necessarily. If they don't spend time and resources on unnecessary BS (a common trend in Smash Bros. *cough*Smash Tour*cough*SSE*cough*) I'm confident we could get a roster of nearly 70 characters by the next generation.
Having no single player mode other than classic isnt too favorable either. Yeah smash tour is crap but they still need something.

Loved sse but that is beside the point

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I personally think they'll push the roster Brawl-style. Long dev time, tons of characters, few cuts of uniques.

Around 65. Not 70, though.

It's hyper-optimistic, but I can see it.

Pauline and Jumpman are very difficult to take seriously as suggestions, considering the people who make them are generally just anti-K. Rool/Dixie/DKC/Rare people who still want to keep up the pretense of catering to DK fans.
Not me. I just think the original DK needs a rep, too.

And ladders are inherently funny.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I personally think they'll push the roster Brawl-style. Long dev time, tons of characters, few cuts of uniques.

Around 65. Not 70, though.

It's hyper-optimistic, but I can see it.
65 is around 70.
I would really prefer a Brawl approach. Brawl feels comparatively complete to me, even if Smash 4 had better newcomers.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
65 is around 70.
I would really prefer a Brawl approach. Brawl feels comparatively complete to me, even if Smash 4 had better newcomers.
Yeah, I can see that too and I started with 4.

I think it's because there's too many recent/goofy characters.

An larger number of cool, "manly" newcomers might help it seem more well rounded.

Like adding meat to your fruits, veggies, and whole grains.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who wants Random replaced with Ditto?

Essentially he would have his own entrance of morphing into a random fighter and then have his own victory screen/music.

On the CSS, they could give it the ability to toggle between morphing into a random character for a whole match or switching to a new one after every stock.

Basically, just making Random be an actual character versus just being random. The Soul Calibur series tends to do something similiar with each installment.

I would main him (and Snake..).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The Subspace Emissary was NOT a waste of time! Besides having a great story, it allowed people who haven't played all of the games to see what all the characters are like, and even people who did got to see how they react to one another. In my opinion the Subspace never got old, Smash Run did.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The Subspace Emissary was NOT a waste of time! Besides having a great story, it allowed people who haven't played all of the games to see what all the characters are like, and even people who did got to see how they react to one another. In my opinion the Subspace never got old, Smash Run did.
I can see that. I don't have Brawl, but a Story Mode sounds fun.

It needed more existing enemies and some voice acting, though.

Maybe some other ways of playing in it.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm not so confident, we could have two versions of the game again and that will take a lot of time and resources even if things like Smash Tour are missing. Plus, due to the fact that the roster gets increasingly harder to balance and develop as more are added, it'd be more difficult to keep on adding characters like that.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm not so confident, we could have two versions of the game again and that will take a lot of time and resources even if things like Smash Tour are missing. Plus, due to the fact that the roster gets increasingly harder to balance and develop as more are added, it'd be more difficult to keep on adding characters like that.
Balance is a worry, but they already have too small of a staff in that regard, so I don't see how much it can hurt.

Just have Ninty hire an acceptable balancing staff next time. 12 people is just not enough.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
The cast of Kid Icarus Uprising and a few other characters narrate an entire story mode.

Insanity would ensue.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The cast of Kid Icarus Uprising and a few other characters narrate an entire story mode.

Insanity would ensue.
Sonic and the Starfox characters pitch in.

Master Core fights Tabuu's hidden second in command that we never saw.

YES.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Sonic and the Starfox characters pitch in.

Master Core fights Tabuu's hidden second in command that we never saw.

YES.
And then the entire story mode is revealed to be nothing more than a movie being shown in theaters.

The ending is then basically the 101% ending from Donkey Kong 64 but with the Smash roster.

Last edited:

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who wants Random replaced with Ditto?

Essentially he would have his own entrance of morphing into a random fighter and then have his own victory screen/music.

On the CSS, they could give it the ability to toggle between morphing into a random character for a whole match or switching to a new one after every stock.

Basically, just making Random be an actual character versus just being random. The Soul Calibur series tends to do something similiar with each installment.

I would main him (and Snake..).
Genious idea

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Isn't it already represented? :4mario::4dk::75M:
But they both have their own series. Which most of their movesets are drawn from.

We should have someone who can ONLY represent the original DK, and a stage isn't enough for the biggest part of Nintendo's opening act.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But they both have their own series. Which most of their movesets are drawn from.

We should have someone who can ONLY represent the original DK, and a stage isn't enough for the biggest part of Nintendo's opening act.
But... That's still their game. Even if they have other series, they represent their debut game.

And even then, Pauline wouldn't only represent the original game nowadays.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Nintendo's opening act into gaming was :4gaw:.

There ya to.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
But... That's still their game. Even if they have other series, they represent their debut game.

And even then, Pauline wouldn't only represent the original game nowadays.
Most of Mario's moves doesn't represent Classic DK at all, that's the thing. There's still a large gap of potential Jumpman can still use to make him stand out from Mario and Luigi by using Classic DK items and a maybe bit of inspiration from the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games with using the Mini Marios as a Bowser Jr. Down-B esque move.

Nintendo's opening act into gaming was :4gaw:.

There ya go.
I don't think you realize that Donkey Kong is one of the most important Nintendo games that had a huge impact on gaming.
It's about as important as R.O.B. saving the game industry and Duck Hunt Dog being a million selling NES game representing the gun hardware, worthy enough to be a justifiable inclusion in Smash.

Not true and BS, I don't see anyone who supports Jumpman and highly opposes the top DKC candidates.
I'm not like that either, I'm just not personally connected to the DKC franchise to call myself a fan and supporter of Dixie and K. Rool.

The problem is you are choosing to have a character playable not by their merits, but from their history. It works for the retro reps because they are absurdly unique. Visually and in playstyle. Retro mario does not look unique (no looking villanous is not that much. Still ovaralls and moustache. Mario looking villanous probably isnt good for nintendos image anyway) and doesnt have anything super unique about him. Repping for the sake of repping is silly anyway

Pauline, as much as i disagree with her, is a better "arcade rep".she looks unique, isn't just mario, and could get some bonus "uniqueness" from the mario vs dk games as well. It also makes sense for her to use it unlike the jumpman design (assuming he is still seperate from mario which he isnt) who isnt in those gsmes as far as i know

jmp74

Smash Rookie
I have love Nintendo, but they have made some dumb decisions, for example selling rareware to Microsoft... FP. Everyone if your here you obviously love smash, and I'm sure there are a crap ton of polls that ask the question what characters you want in smash... Well here goes... Heres mine

Honorable mentions-
King boo .....bubsy.....knuckles,shadow,tails......meowth.....Chrono Trigger.....Sora......Ridley......Bomberman....Maybe put baby mario and luigi and make them like Ice climbers....Mallow (I go over alittle)....conker from conkers bad fur day.......These characters would fit in just right in the smash world...^^^^^

Lets get to the real people on my list. 1 being the best 5 being the worst.

1. Geno (Super Mario RPG)
He's awesome and would already have a smash move and main moves set up, Square Enix is like Naaaa... They do not even use this character OR MALLOW!!! I would like both, but preferred is Geno... Be almost like a Robin, but with stars and cannons... Also he would be smaller and easier to KO. Might have a counter??? I feel like he is not rated higher in the best Nintendo characters..

2. Isaac (Golden Sun) obviously I love all the characters on my list, he is my number two.. He being in a RPG like Geno already has MOVES! All they have to do is put them into ssb4.... ugh He needs to be in this game... A balanced character that would be Related to Robin and Link...

3. Banjo Kazooie --Another 3rd party character,but it's not to far fetched.. He would king be like duck hunt I understand,but he doesnt have to be, and he would only be like duck hunt in the fact that the bird would be very similar to duck hunts, other than that different moves completely. I could see him being a heavy character.

4. Another DK character preferably Dixie kong / King k Roll
They already have moves and would be a great addition to smash, Dixie has her hair for smashes, and would not have to be a clone at all. King K Roll, would be a heavy with smash similar to bowser, maybe have weapon where he throws his crown... Endless possibilities.

5. Make a character like Super Ghouls and Ghost.... Ok you might be saying... "Hes gonna be like LINK" Heres my argument... OK so you know in the game he has multiple weapons? Make him were he can move between weapons and maybe gain armor the blue armor as a final smash. and his normal smashes are just his upgraded hits... Shulk and other characters have things that you switch through that affect their game play... Sorry I couldnt think of a better 5.... SO thats what I wrote down..

If u dont wanna read here they are.
1. Geno (Super Mario RPG)
2.Isacc (Golden Sun)
3.Banjo Kazooie
4.Dixie Kong or King K roll
5. Super Ghoul and Ghost.

It was fun writing this..... Thanks Write yours and explain why you want those characters in smash.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think you realize that Donkey Kong is one of the most important Nintendo games that had a huge impact on gaming.It's about as important as R.O.B. saving the game industry and Duck Hunt Dog being a million selling NES game representing the gun hardware, worthy enough to be a justifiable inclusion in Smash..
Yeah.

It already has two characters, a stage, three peices of music and two items.

Why is that not enough for one game?

Especially when literallly everyone at Nintendo calls Jumpman, Mario.

see anyone who supports Jumpman and highly opposes the top DKC candidates.I'm not like that either, I'm just not personally connected to the DKC franchise to call myself a fan and supporter of Dixie and K. Rool.
Blue, let's be honest.

You're the support hipster.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't think you realize that Donkey Kong is one of the most important Nintendo games that had a huge impact on gaming.
It's about as important as R.O.B. saving the game industry and Duck Hunt Dog being a million selling NES game representing the gun hardware, worthy enough to be a justifiable inclusion in Smash.
Which we already have.

Frankly, Mario is Jumpman. He's recognized as such even within the Smash universe. Regardless of whether or not he references the original game, he's still playable. Even then, there are already plenty of homages to the original Donkey Kong in Smash already, such as the 75M stage (which has appeared twice now), the Hammer item (a classic Smash item at this point), and of course, Mario and Donkey Kong themselves.

Do we really need or want a slight variation of Mario to represent a game with thorough representation as is?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Pauline isn't an optimal choice IMO because no one looks at her based off of moveset or character. She comes up only when people plug her in as a "shocking DK Rep" or an "Arcade DK Rep," then handwave her moveset away with vague suggestions ("she could use Mini-Mario and...power-ups and...things"). Ditto with Jumpman to an even further extent ("he can use other power-ups"...like the Hammer and what else, exactly?)

Contrast that with characters like the Dejected DK Duo (K. Rool + Dixie), where people suggest the characters first because they legitimately LIKE them, have concrete move ideas in mind, and only bring up "repping" as a secondary bonus (at least the ones who don't spam the term "reps" regularly anyway).

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The problem is you are choosing to have a character playable not by their merits, but from their history. It works for the retro reps because they are absurdly unique. Visually and in playstyle. Retro mario does not look unique (no looking villanous is not that much. Still ovaralls and moustache. Mario looking villanous probably isnt good for nintendos image anyway) and doesnt have anything super unique about him. Repping for the sake of repping is silly anyway

Pauline, as much as i disagree with her, is a better "arcade rep".she looks unique, isn't just mario, and could get some bonus "uniqueness" from the mario vs dk games as well. It also makes sense for her to use it unlike the jumpman design (assuming he is still seperate from mario which he isnt) who isnt in those gsmes as far as i know
Do we really need or want a slight variation of Mario to represent a game with thorough representation as is?
Is it really a slight variation?

The designs are relatively different.

The real definition of slight variation of a character is Dark Pit and Pit:
:4darkpit::4pit:
The only thing differentiating Dark Pit from Pit is the colors, everything else is basically the same design wise.

Yeah.

It already has two characters, a stage, three peices of music and two items.

Why is that not enough for one game?
You know, people have already made these kinds of excuses before with Duck Hunt before he was revealed as a playable character. :4duckhunt:
He had the qualifications of being an iconic character in Nintendo history and representing the NES Zapper era.
You and many others basically just showing your opinion when ignoring the fact the game has a made a huge impact to make Jumpman justifiable for a character spot, just like Duck Hunt.

Blue, let's be honest.

You're the support hipster.
I used to be, but I do look at arguments objectively now while considering many plausible possibilities.
I'm not the same guy you knew back from pre-Smash 4 speculation now.

Last edited:
Is it really a slight variation?

The designs are relatively different.

The real definition of slight variation of a character is Dark Pit and Pit:
:4darkpit::4pit:
The only thing differentiating Dark Pit from Pit is the colors, everything else is basically the same design wise.

You know, people have already made these kinds of excuses before with Duck Hunt before he was revealed as a playable character. :4duckhunt:
He had the qualifications of being an iconic character in Nintendo history and representing the NES Zapper era.
You and many others basically just showing your opinion when ignoring the fact the game has a made a huge impact to make Jumpman justifiable for a character spot, just like Duck Hunt.
Ignoring literally every point but one which wasnt even the main arguement.

The only difference there is color inversion a few pounds and a scrunched in face. Its pretty damn similar. Because its the same person

What does already being represented have to do with duck hunt? They had the duck tropjy i guess but really? and again. Jumpman is justifiable. Its why he is in the game :4mario:
you are doing some crazy cherrypicking here.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
1. Kat & Ana from Warioware
They would be like Ice Climbers only ninjas. I know its very unlikely that they'll be playable in Smash 4 seeing as how Ice Climbers didnt make it due to limitations, on top of being an assist trophy. If there ever was to be a new Smash Bros along with a new Warioware rep, Kat & Ana would be a good choice, there potential behind it. (Ashley would also be a good choice too)

2. Geigue the main antagonist of the Mother franchise. Yes I know people are going to say Pokey is but Pokey wasn't in Mother 1 and he wasn't the main threat to humanity in Mother 2. It wasn't until Mother 3 when Pokey was the main villain (which was because of the influence of Giygas). Back to the subject, Geigue would be his physical form as most people mistaken him for his Earthbound appearance. Geigue would be sort of a mix between Mewtwo and Ness, only Geigue will have PSI moves that Ness doesnt (in Smash Bros) so he could have PK Rockin. Besides the protagonists of Mother, Geigue is one of my favorite characters from that franchise

3. Fulgore from Killer Instinct
Now I know it will never happen, I know Microsoft owns Rare, and I know Fulgore wouldn't really fit well in the Smash Bros universe but I dont care Fulgore is just an awesome character

4. Krystal from Starfox
More Starfox reps, more females, more potential than a clone

5. Wonder Red from Wonderful 101
Smash Bros needs a Viewtiful Joe style character and Wonder Red is perfect for that spot.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The only difference there is color inversion a few pounds and a scrunched in face. Its pretty damn similar.
It's pretty different, it's as different as trying to find the differences with :4tlink: and :4link:'s design.
It's as simple as looking to finding what's the difference between an apple and an orange.

What does already being represented have to do with duck hunt? They had the duck tropjy i guess but really? and again. Jumpman is justifiable. Its why he is in the game :4mario:
you are doing some crazy cherrypicking here.
You aren't really understanding my point. The main thing I'm trying to say is that the original DK arcade is a very important, significant game to consider for a playable character, just like with every other historical character addition that has been added with each installment, even if it's something people here will generally disagree with.
:4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Duck Hunt didn't have anything before its inclusion.

Donkey Kong has already has a load of content.

It's not that Donkey Kong isn't worth being remembered.

It's that it already is, and you aren't treating it like it is.

I used to be, but I do look at arguments objectively now while considering many plausible possibilities.
I'm not the same guy you knew back from pre-Smash 4 speculation now.
You're still pretty much the same Blue, for better or for worse.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Duck Hunt didn't have anything before its inclusion.

Donkey Kong has already has a load of content.

It's not that Donkey Kong isn't worth being remembered.

It's that it already is, and you aren't treating it like it is.
You know what this scenario also reminds of, Animal Crossing. :4villager:
That franchise had a load of content in Brawl. Before Smash 4 pre-E3 2013 speculation began, people thought Animal Crossing didn't need a character and that transferring the content it had in Brawl to Smash 4 was enough of representation, despite the fact AC being a big-enough franchise to justifiably get a playable character.

Don't use your opinion as the main reason the Classic DK games can't be represented with a character, as it is still possible that the Classic DK games can get playable representation later on.

You're still pretty much the same Blue, for better or for worse.
Yes, but I don't see any very obscure choices (obscure examples including Harry Donbe & Hikari, Ayumi Tachibana, etc.) I supported happening anymore this time.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know what this scenario also reminds of, Animal Crossing. :4villager:
That franchise had a load of content in Brawl. Before Smash 4 pre-E3 2013 speculation began, people thought Animal Crossing didn't need a character and that transferring the content it had in Brawl to Smash 4 was enough of representation, despite the fact AC being a big-enough franchise to justifiably get a playable character.

Don't use your opinion as the main reason the Classic DK games can't be represented with a character, as it is still possible that the Classic DK games can get playable representation later on..
I always thought AC needed a character.

Blue, the argument isn't that Donkey Kong deserves a character.

Its that we think it already has two.

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Pauline isn't an optimal choice IMO because no one looks at her based off of moveset or character. She comes up only when people plug her in as a "shocking DK Rep" or an "Arcade DK Rep," then handwave her moveset away with vague suggestions ("she could use Mini-Mario and...power-ups and...things"). Ditto with Jumpman to an even further extent ("he can use other power-ups"...like the Hammer and what else, exactly?)

Contrast that with characters like the Dejected DK Duo (K. Rool + Dixie), where people suggest the characters first because they legitimately LIKE them, have concrete move ideas in mind, and only bring up "repping" as a secondary bonus (at least the ones who don't spam the term "reps" regularly anyway).
I want Dixie Kong and King K. Rool the most (aside from Ridley), however, I would love to see Pauline as her own character because I think they could do something cool with her moveset. I could think of a moveset for her with vague suggestions such as: hammer, barrels, Mini Marios, girders, purse, umbrella, fire balls, and ladders. She could use her umbrella for aerial attacks, her purse for tilts and jabs, and a large red girder for smash attacks. Mini Marios could be a Pikmin-esque or a Bowser Jr. Down B-esque move. She could have an amazing recovery using a ladder or moving platform, with the downside of enemies being able to use it as well and her not being allowed to have more than one at a time. Her Side B could be a powerful charged hammer swing or a quick rapid combo hammer pummel and her Down B could be rolling a barrel towards enemies. She could also use Down B to set up a barrel that would spawn fire balls in the direction she faced when she spawned it and could also smash the barrel to send it rolling, akin to Pacman's hydrant. She could grab with her purse and fling them in a certain direction, maybe with a good grab range, but weak throws. That's just off the top of my head though.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I always thought AC needed a character.

Blue, the argument isn't that Donkey Kong deserves a character.

Its that we think it already has two.
But people still use their opinion though. :I
You can already see and tell it through the use of the word deserve and need. (words based on opinion)

If that was the argument, then both don't represent the Classic DK games at all through their movesets. Their movesets are based on Super Mario and DKC, they do a very poor job at representing the arcade DK games. Again, there is still an open area of potential of using classic DK elements that can work to make a unique character representing an era of gaming that impacted Nintendo as a gaming company.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But people still use their opinion though. :I
You can already see and tell it through the use of the word deserve and need. (words based on opinion)

If that was the argument, then both don't represent the Classic DK games at all through their movesets. Their movesets are based on Super Mario and DKC, they do a very poor job at representing the arcade DK games. Again, there is still an open area of potential of using classic DK elements that can work to make a unique character representing an era of gaming that impacted Nintendo as a gaming company.
But Blue, you're using an opinion too...

Mario has his death taunt and his ladder animation. He also has alternate colors based on his original appearance.
DK beats his chest as a taunt. Donkey Kong also has a costume based on his original sprite.

Now you're just ignoring evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom