• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I don't even......Jumpman vs Mario? Why are we fretting over Donkey Kong representation so much?

I mean, 75m pretty much wraps up Donkey Kong....so why do we need an additional playable character?

OH WAIT NO! I'VE GOT IT! Cranky Kong playable, hulks out into 8-bits and throws barrels for a Final Smash!

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
We need Wario Land Wario playable! There are no references to the Wario Land games in Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U, I mean that's classic Wario we're talking about and there is so much a character can pull from from those games. Captain Syrup doesn't seem like the best and strongest representative to represent classic Wario though. Wario Land Wario would wear different clothes from Wario Ware Wario and can be larger in size than Wario Ware Wario since Wario Land Wario is quite larger in size than Mario, unlike Wario Ware Wario. Wario Land Wario is just a more iconic version of the character, Wario Land was the first and only Nintendo game/series that stars the bad guy; that's very significant.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
But Blue, you're using an opinion too...

Mario has his death taunt and his ladder animation. He also has alternate colors based on his original appearance.
DK beats his chest as a taunt. Donkey Kong also has a costume based on his original sprite.

Now you're just ignoring evidence.
I don't think he's saying he *thinks* Jumpman (or Pauline) will be in, but that he'd like to see it just because he wants to see them make a character fully from Classic DK.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman

Mario has his death taunt and his ladder animation. He also has alternate colors based on his original appearance.
DK beats his chest as a taunt. Donkey Kong also has a costume based on his original sprite.

I don't think he thinks Jumpman (or Pauline) will actually be included. I think he's just expressing how he would like to see a character fully based on Classic DK to see them fully flesh out that game.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

I think we're all forgetting that Mario possesses Jumpman's signature ability... JUMPING!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Would Pauline be considered a Mario character (mushroom icon) or a Donkey Kong character (DK icon)?

Either way, I think she's a good choice to represent the arcade roots and the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series. Maybe Donkey Kong Jr. and Stanley could be part of her moveset.

Up+B to summon Donkey Kong Jr. who would carry Pauline up the vines.

Hold down B to summon Stanley who would shoot his bug spray upward (works like Ivysaur's Bullet Seed).

Side+B to throw a Mini toy who would attack opponents with hammers.

Down+B to make an oil drum appear and it would burst in flames and then fire enemies come out from the oil drum.

Final Smash to summon an 8-bit Donkey Kong who would throw barrels from above (also deconfirming that awful 75m stage).

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Would Pauline be considered a Mario character (mushroom icon) or a Donkey Kong character (DK icon)?

Either way, I think she's a good choice to represent the arcade roots and the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series. Maybe Donkey Kong Jr. and Stanley could be part of her moveset.

Hold down B to summon Stanley who would shoot his bug spray upward (works like Ivysaur's Bullet Seed).

Down+B to make an oil drum appear and it would burst in flames and then fire enemies come out from the oil drum.

Final Smash to summon an 8-bit Donkey Kong who would throw barrels from above (also deconfirming that awful 75m stage).
Probably DK since the 75m stage is represented as a DK stage. I don't know, Pauline summoning those characters doesn't seem right to me; especially summoning the son of her kidnapper (though I guess she does sort of befriend him in Donkey Kong for the Gameboy). A mini toy attack makes sense. I don't know what her normal attacks would be though, the hammer and barrels are already items, and they're things she didn't use. Having her attack with ladders is too weird to me; it would be like if Peach were to attack with blocks or pipes. It's comes off as trying too hard to come up with something different.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Probably DK since the 75m stage is represented as a DK stage. I don't know, Pauline summoning those characters doesn't seem right to me; especially summoning the son of her kidnapper (though I guess she does sort of befriend him in Donkey Kong for the Gameboy). A mini toy attack makes sense. I don't know what her normal attacks would be though, the hammer and barrels are already items, and they're things she didn't use. Having her attack with ladders is too weird to me; it would be like if Peach were to attack with blocks or pipes. It's comes off as trying too hard to come up with something different.
Just because she never used barrels or hammers doesn't mean they can't be apart of her moveset. Similar to how the Duck Hunt character represents the entire game and all things with the NES Zapper, Pauline could represent the simple mechanics of the original Donkey Kong with a fun moveset.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

This just made me think of Doronjo from Tatsunoko VS Capcom.

Where are you, Tatsunoko VS Capcom 2?!:crying: Regardless, that would be wacky and awesome, but unlikely. (I had this draft out for a while... Sometimes I struggle posting stuff here...)

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Instead of bothering with Jumpman, I'd actually prefer it if they straight up used Popeye instead.

:231:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

The way I see it going now is that we'd get Pauline and even Stanley the Jumpman as our DK characters.... :rolleyes:

This could potentially turn me in a killer btw.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

And I said those few moves that reference the old games does little to represent Classic DK as a whole.
They are only the small percentage of the whole moveset, and that it's a justifiable era of gaming unfilled to represent with a move set. If you guys are going to be continuously stubborn with the same argument, then I would rather not argue this anymore.
I'm wearing off at this point.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I can agree that a character needs a barrel-throwing move in Smash. However, that character is Donkey Kong, the character iconic for throwing barrels, not the dainty maiden his (grand)father kidnapped. Seriously, how random and unfitting would THAT be?? It'd be like Peach throwing Bowser's hammers or Palutena throwing Medusa heads.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Give Cranky Kong the barrel rolling, cane bouncing, and ratchety shouting, and you represent a bunch of different games.

Makes a unique character with references to the series, and isn't a different version of another character. Boom.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I feel like Pauline could work, but I struggle to justify Jumpman.

If you like the character, fair enough, but it's still just Mario with a slightly different moveset.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
With the moves you can use from Classic DK, you wouldn't call it a slightly different moveset.

I can agree that a character needs a barrel-throwing move in Smash. However, that character is Donkey Kong, the character iconic for throwing barrels, not the dainty maiden his (grand)father kidnapped. Seriously, how random and unfitting would THAT be?? It'd be like Peach throwing Bowser's hammers or Palutena throwing Medusa heads.
Which is why Jumpman is more appropriate for the use of these kinds of moves.

Hey guys, I have an idea, we can just support Dixie and K.Rool.
At least get what I'm saying dude.
No need to be rude like that. Support Dixie and K. Rool as much as you want, just at least put it in your head that Jumpman is a possible choice and then we'll be fine ok. :p

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think a better question to ask is whether we really need to base a character on a game that came out nearly 35 years ago, considering everyone in the game has had newer appearances since then. It's too old to even work as a Nostalgia filler.

:231:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
We don't need it (at least to you guys), but considering the traditions of historical retros is still there, it'll likely continue the same tradition with a new one in SSB5, and Jumpman is a potential candidate for that spot.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We don't need it (at least to you guys), but considering the traditions of historical retros is still there, it'll likely continue the same tradition with a new one in SSB5, and Jumpman is a potential candidate for that spot.
Maybe but there are better choices for historical retro reps... and to be honest, we are running out of iconic historical retro characters... especially now that we have the better choices for historical retro reps :4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt: and resorting to pass Mario off as a historical retro rep (Jumpman) is really, pardon the pun, scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

In my opinion, the only iconic historical retro characters left who are worth adding in Smash are Captain N and Nester.

Otherwise, they might just go back to adding obscure retro characters because they have unique potential... the same reason :popo: got in Smash in the first place... like Takamaru and Muddy Mole.

Ridley deserves it, because Metroid needs more representation and

*4 HOURS LATER*

In conclusion, Ridley is NOT TOO BIG!

*wash, rinse, repeat forever*
*4hours later* = 4 hours of yelling and screaming in which neither side is changed so the argument can occur once more. Such is the circle of life in the wild lands of Smashville

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
*4hours later* = 4 hours of yelling and screaming in which neither side is changed so the argument can occur once more. Such is the circle of life in the wild lands of Smashville
Now you're getting the hang of it.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Maybe but there are better choices for historical retro reps... and to be honest, we are running out of iconic historical retro characters... especially now that we have the better choices for historical retro reps :4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt: and resorting to pass Mario off as a historical retro rep (Jumpman) is really, pardon the pun, scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

In my opinion, the only iconic historical retro characters left who are worth adding in Smash are Captain N and Nester.

Otherwise, they might just go back to adding obscure retro characters because they have unique potential... the same reason :popo: got in Smash in the first place... like Takamaru and Muddy Mole.
I'd switch some words to this to make it a more accurate statement.
and resorting to is really, pardon the pun, Captain N and Nester is scrapping the bottom of the barrel.
He's along the lines with Harry the Teleroboxer being scrappers of the barrel, them being US only characters already makes them really unlikely as Mike Jones IMO.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Is it really a slight variation?

The designs are relatively different.

The real definition of slight variation of a character is Dark Pit and Pit:
:4darkpit::4pit:
The only thing differentiating Dark Pit from Pit is the colors, everything else is basically the same design wise.

You know, people have already made these kinds of excuses before with Duck Hunt before he was revealed as a playable character. :4duckhunt:
He had the qualifications of being an iconic character in Nintendo history and representing the NES Zapper era.
You and many others basically just showing your opinion when ignoring the fact the game has a made a huge impact to make Jumpman justifiable for a character spot, just like Duck Hunt.

I used to be, but I do look at arguments objectively now while considering many plausible possibilities.
I'm not the same guy you knew back from pre-Smash 4 speculation now.
Hey, where does this art even come from? I'm having a hard time tracking that down as a genuine official representation of Jumpman/Mr. Video. These seem to be more representative of the design used on arcade machines and in official promotional materials.

If that actually is official art I'd love to see it! It's a really cool design.

Anyway, I don't even think Jumpman is the most obvious choice when you consider Donkey Kong arcade alternate versions of existing characters. Pauline, Donkey Kong Jr. and Stanley the Bugman are more original characters, but even if you're just looking at characters we already have Donkey Kong himself was far more iconic to the arcade going public than Jumpman was in the 80s. It's an odd case where the player character was actually a relative afterthought in the collective consciousness. If we're throwing a bone to the arcade days (and I see no reason why we would have to) it's DK that would get the slot.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd switch some words to this to make it a more accurate statement.

He's along the lines with Harry the Teleroboxer being scrappers of the barrel, them being US only characters already makes them really unlikely as Mike Jones IMO.
I did not say anything about how likely or unlikely Jumpman is. :rolleyes:

I daresay adding Jumpman would incite more hatred and rage among the Smash fanbase than Dark Pit did. That's how deeply embedded he is in the bottom of the barrel. :skull:

You know who else is down there in the bottom of the barrel? Daitoryo. :troll:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If having a character have a movement based on the original Donkey Kong game is so damn important just make them custom moves for Mario. B: Hammer, Side B: Barrel Toss, Up B: Ladder Climb, Down B Oil Drum that burst out fire enemies. All that and combined with his Jumpman's signature abilty of jumping, and you have about every possible move you could pull from the original DK, unless you find it necessary for him to attack with cream pies and springs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom