• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
And nobody has mentioned the Goddess of Swag herself.

C'mon, people, get it together!

And yes I mean swag in the traditional sense, to wit: loot or spoils.
Coin battles would be much more entertaining.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly... I don't think Ridley nor Ice Climbers are out of the running for this current game. I thoroughly believe Sakurai wanted to get both to work, and giving up for a deadline for the game is in no way giving up the characters fully.
I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I tend to be a person who errs on "possible." Dreamers change the world by seeing what can be done- and that is what innovative thinking is all about. It is also, seemingly, how Sakurai makes his choices. He certainly does have a creative flair for adding characters and content, and this make the game exciting... and unnecessarily shocking to many.

How I wish Meowth had gotten in initially instead of Jigglypuff... unfortunately, he may not be unique enough to be added from this point on. He wouldn't need to fight like a Pokemon, though- he never does this in the anime. He would fight like a crafty trickster, perhaps with speaking attacks, a disguise, a mecha, and...yes, coins.
Or they could pull a Duck Hunt Duo and add Meowth, Arbok, and Weezing as a singular character called Team Rocket.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Or they could pull a Duck Hunt Duo and add Meowth, Arbok, and Weezing as a singular character called Team Rocket.
I'd rather they add Team Rocket with Meowth... as a Looney Tunes type of character.
But that also just makes me miss Pokemon Trainer.

My Dream Pokemon representation:
-Pikachu
-Lucario
-Mewtwo
-Charizard
-Sceptile
-Greninja
-Team Rocket (Looney, as said above)
-Pokemon Trainer (who summons, and uses Pokeballs as Smash attacks to capture opponents etc)

I mean... in reality, I'd love Squirtle and Ivysaur back, and I would love an Eevee focused Pokemon Ranger type character. Yet I cannot rectify my desire for the first two with the basis that post 1999 Pokemon should probably see more than... Lucario. If Squirtle and Ivysaur were summons for Trainer, I'd be happy enough I guess.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd rather they add Team Rocket with Meowth... as a Looney Tunes type of character.
But that also just makes me miss Pokemon Trainer.

My Dream Pokemon representation:
-Pikachu
-Lucario
-Mewtwo
-Charizard
-Sceptile
-Greninja
-Team Rocket (Looney, as said above)
-Pokemon Trainer (who summons, and uses Pokeballs as Smash attacks to capture opponents etc)

I mean... in reality, I'd love Squirtle and Ivysaur back, and I would love an Eevee focused Pokemon Ranger type character. Yet I cannot rectify my desire for the first two with the basis that post 1999 Pokemon should probably see more than... Lucario. If Squirtle and Ivysaur were summons for Trainer, I'd be happy enough I guess.
I don't mean like Pokemon Trainer where you switch Pokemon, I mean like Duck Hunt... instead of the dog teamed with a duck... you have a cat teamed with a cobra and a gaseous puffball. That would be unique.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Meowth would've been a much better long-term Pokemon character than Jigglypuff, whose redeeming qualities at this point are basically boiled down to Smash longevity and "popular in Japan." Pity SSB64 had such a minimal development time to the point where they had to stick to editing Kirby's model instead of making a new one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I mean, I love Jigglypuff's moveset even though I don't really care much for the Pokemon itself but I would love to have both Jigglypuff and Meowth in Smash... proving that we don't need to pick one over the other.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My dream Pokemon roster would be:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Ivysaur
Charizard
Squirtle
Lucario
Greninja
Team Rocket (a Duck Hunt type singular character consisting of Meowth, Arbok, Weezing)
Plusle & Minun (an Ice Climber type team character consisting of those two)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I compare Meowth to Jigglypuff only because I think 64 was his best chance, what with the anime and his Gen. being super prominent at the time (and facing no complaints of oversaturation). Now, he's sadly probably missed the boat, since we're now at the point where "New Rep" absorbs a spot by default, and anything less than a game-changing gimmick is seen as "not unique enough." Unless, of course, we get a pleasant PT-esque surprise from a non-current generation.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And nobody has mentioned the Goddess of Swag herself.

C'mon, people, get it together!

And yes I mean swag in the traditional sense, to wit: loot or spoils.
oi m8 im da swag god here...
...in both ways :troll:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My dream Pokemon roster would be:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Ivysaur
Charizard
Squirtle
Lucario
Greninja
Team Rocket (a Duck Hunt type singular character consisting of Meowth, Arbok, Weezing)
Plusle & Minun (an Ice Climber type team character consisting of those two)
This is what my ideal Pokemon roster would look like:
-----------------------
- Pikachu
- Charizard
- Mewtwo
- Lucario
- Meowth
- Jigglypuff
- Greninja
- Eevee
-----------------------
I actually am quite fond of Jigglypuff.
But Meowth is objectively a better choice than her, as is Eevee.
I chose eight characters to match my ideal Mario representation:

- Mario
- Luigi
- Peach
- Bowser
- Rosalina
- Bowser Jr.
- Captain Toad
- Paper Mario

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Hawlucha.

Yes. :3

I think Wobbuffet would be a fun and quirky joke character as well, but if it was a toss-up between the two, I'd pick Hawlucha. Smash could do with more wrestlers, and his design is too adorably weird to pass up~

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
- Captain Taod
Who's Taod?
Also,I think I can work with more with a generic Taod since the group I'm in just pointed out how hard it is to make a real moveset out of Captain Taod than just regular Taod. Honestly,what would his up special be if his backpack stops him from jumping at all?

inb4 you notice I kept saying Taod

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hawlucha.

Yes. :3

I think Wobbuffet would be a fun and quirky joke character as well, but if it was a toss-up between the two, I'd pick Hawlucha. Smash could do with more wrestlers, and his design is too adorably weird to pass up~
I would replace Greninja with Hawlucha in a heartbeat.
Such an awesome Pokemon, but alas...not even a Pokemon summon, not even a trophy.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Who's Taod?
Also,I think I can work with more with a generic Taod since the group I'm in just pointed out how hard it is to make a real moveset out of Captain Taod than just regular Taod. Honestly,what would his up special be if his backpack stops him from jumping at all?

Because Smash is totally true to the source material and it's utterly beyond the realms of conception to let Captain Toad have a weak jump to illustrate such a physical idiosyncrasy.

Or, y'know, he could use a propeller hat or a music block.

Or just ditch the backpack when he jumps.

Captain Toad has so much moveset potential, it makes me weep sunshine and rainbows.

I would replace Greninja with Hawlucha in a heartbeat.
Such an awesome Pokemon, but alas...not even a Pokemon summon, not even a trophy.
I like Amphinobi, even though I don't play as him, I think he works well.

If I was going to cut any Pokémon, it'd be Lucario. In theory, of course. I know he does have fans and he does have a reason to be there, so I'd just leave him be and carry on. :3

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I like Amphinobi, even though I don't play as him, I think he works well.
If I was going to cut any Pokémon, it'd be Lucario. In theory, of course. I know he does have fans and he does have a reason to be there, so I'd just leave him be and carry on. :3
saveas.PNG

No plz. Let's not cut my favorite video game character.
Who's Taod?
Or he could just a weak jump?
There are a lot of characters in Smash who don't jump either.
Besides, my moveset idea for Captain Toad revolves around changing the weight of his backpack for this exact reason.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I personally won't cut any Pokémon since we already lost enough as it stands now. RIP Ivysaur. ;_:

Though I wish Greninja used more original Water-type moves. Hydro pump didn't have to be a Quick Attack clone.

Who's Taod?

Capt. Toad is the most original character to come from the main Mario games in a while. No other character shares the explorer motif. I don't think I'll be too far off if I say that Capt. Toad has overtaken regular Toad in terms of popularity.

:231:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
As was briefly touched upon in the leak thread, we need not only Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western, but pretty much the entire cast from that game.

The game currently has 0 squids in ponchos and 0 bears with shot guns. This situation really needs to rectified in the future.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Considering how easy implementing Jigglypuff is in a Smash game due to her model along with how unique she is at this point, it's silly to think that she would affect or "take a slot" from any other Pokemon characters. Meowth, whilst cool, would not have been any more likely even if Jigglypuff never gotten in.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As was briefly touched upon in the leak thread, we need not only Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western, but pretty much the entire cast from that game.

The game currently has 0 squids in ponchos and 0 bears with shot guns. This situation really needs to rectified in the future.
Except that derpy squirrel.
I like the bear shotgun and squid sniper rifle.
that's cool.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
no love for Gallo
the rodent is Dillon's revovery of course

no exceptions
I would have mentioned Gallo, but I didn't want to start a war about which anthropomorphic lizard deserved to be in Smash more.

VS

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Who's Taod?
Very first glimpse we got of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker was Captain Toad being shot out of a cannon. Or you could have him use a grappling hook, maybe allow him to climb walls (Both of which follow an Explorer motif), or use the propeller hat.

Not that hard :p

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Very first glimpse we got of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker was Captain Toad being shot out of a cannon. Or you could have him use a grappling hook, maybe allow him to climb walls (Both of which follow an Explorer motif), or use the propeller hat.

Not that hard :p
When did CAPTAIN Toad use the propeller hat? It was just generic Toad.
Also,how does he climb in the air?

I would have mentioned Gallo, but I didn't want to start a war about which anthropomorphic lizard deserved to be in Smash more.

VS

Everyone but @CliffJumper would go with Gallo.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Gallo uses coins as a weapon. Make him a meowth clone :troll:

I prefer Gallo but Leon is the great leon
Actually.... yeah, I didn't actually realize that he fits into the "fighters that use/are obsessed with money" category that you guys were just talking about. Also, I should probably find a smaller picture of Leon, but I probably won't.

D

Deleted member

Though considering that 4 may be Sakurai's last Smash game, maybe the new director will have a different opinion on Ridley's size. And if that's the case, than who knows what'll happen.
I've already explained that it's more than just size that was the issue.
Were you not paying attention?

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
When did CAPTAIN Toad use the propeller hat? It was just generic Toad.
Also,how does he climb in the air?
When did *Insert just about any Smash character here* use *certain move that character has never used in a game*? Since when did logic apply to Smash Bros?

Actually...
gg no re @Dastardly Ridleylash . He makes a fair point.
Do you ever make your own fair points, or do you always just try to piggyback on those that do? :p

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly at this point Captain Toad's moveset potential probably outstrips the generic Toad's anyway.

Pickaxes, ladders, headlamp, minecarts, dragon piggybacks, a backpack weight gimmick, turnips/Giant Turnips, double cherries, turnip cannons, Piranha sprouts, potted piranha plants...

I do genuinely think the little guy has a ton of moveset potential, and I really want to see him burying that pickaxe into his opponents heads.

At the very least I hope we see him appear in the next DLC for Mario Kart.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do you ever make your own fair points, or do you always just try to piggyback on those that do? :p
I do both,really.
I can make a whole argument of Toad being a character itself (Cpt. or not). I have been influenced by other people to change what I thought of Toad should be as a whole. If you don't like what I do,good for you,you have an opinion. If I like was someone says,my logical side turns off and the "mlg sweg lord" comes out and memeifies everything with no sense whatsoever.

In other words,I'm crazy.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I think if Cap. Toad is added, he should be denied the ability to jump, because that's his main thing for him. You could give him an up special that's better than Balloon Trip, as well as some pretty good ground melee to make up for it.

And if we were to have 1 Toad with a moveset that represented all Toads, it should be Toad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom