• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I main :4shulk: and :4wiremac:mostly. You can read that on your left.
When I do Shulk,I mostly gain victories because I actually use the Monado Arts and don't spam the side special.
Mac is literally a 50/50. It mostly depends on if I'm against a close-ranged or far-ranged fighter.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
:4zelda:
:4dk::4kirby::4megaman:
:4ness::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucario:
:4diddy::4greninja::4gaw::4littlemac::4zss:
:4palutena::rosalina::4dedede::4tlink::4falco::4rob::4yoshi:
I'll use pretty much anyone besides :4wiifit::4sheik::4drmario::4marth:, but those are my top 20. Zelda works pretty well for me. Nayru's Love is useful for stopping close-range attacks as well as projectiles, and Din's Fire/Phantom Slash are good for stopping recovery. This works well on people like :4myfriends::4shulk::4falcon:, without good recovery. Finally, I'll use Lightning Kick for power.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't hold steadfast to thoughts thinking a series cannot be lowered in roster representation, though. Lucas was unnecessary in the first place, and even being one of my top 5 most played Brawl characters, he is superfluous and expendable when it comes to Nintendo, and quite honestly Mother is lucky to get even one character, at least, as early in the series as it did.
Mother is "lucky" to get even one character in the first place because Mother already had HAL Laboratory Bias and perhaps Sakurai Bias. Don't forget that EarthBound and Mother 3 were developed by HAL Laboratory, the same company that developed the Smash games... and Sakurai was an employee of HAL Laboratory at the time he was working on Smash 64 and Melee.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Mother is "lucky" to get even one character in the first place because Mother already had HAL Laboratory Bias and perhaps Sakurai Bias. Don't forget that EarthBound and Mother 3 were developed by HAL Laboratory, the same company that developed the Smash games... and Sakurai was an employee of HAL Laboratory at the time he was working on Smash 64 and Melee.
While I hear what you're saying, I think a lot of the people who criticize Mother's inclusion in the game are ignoring why Ness got into Smash. And it wasn't just Hal Lab and Sakurai bias. It was the genre it represented. Mario represents platforming and Luigi represented multiplayer, DK represents the start of it all in 83, Zelda action adventure. Kirby breathed (or sucked) new life into portable platforming. Yoshi was iconic, had his own games since the NES and was too kawaii to not include in a game aimed at a Japanese demographic, Fox represented rail shooters and was a pioneer in the genre. Samus as well is a pioneer in her genre or we wouldn't call games like that Metroid-Vania. Captain Falcon showed the Nintendo entry into the racing genre in a time before Mario Kart completely blew it away.

This leaves us with three characters from the original twelve. Ness, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff. The genre of the RPGs. Now Pokemon is still new, isn' solidified as one of the deepest rpg battle systems in history. We're on G1. But it's massive enough of a success if you don't include Pikachu and Jigglypuff, you're a fool. But that wasn't the usual rpg that people played constantly on their Super Nintendo. That was usually a party of 3-4 in a turn based battle system. Like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Tales of Phantasia, Breath of Fire, and so many more. The genre was massively popular at the end of the Super Nintendo's run (and why people were disappointed that the N64's first rpg after waiting for so long at the time was Quest 64. Underrated game, but it was not what people wanted when it came out). So who represented Nintendo in the juggernaut of party based rpgs? Specifically just after the 16 bit era when it felt like those games reigned supreme?

Ness. You had the rights to Ness. And everyone loved Earthbound.

Nintendo doesn't have a first party party-based rpg until either you count Pokemon because of double and triple battles or Xenoblade. But the genre remains essential to gaming and needs a representative. And frankly due to enough time passing, I feel Ness can never be removed, you need that 16 bit SNES representative of the rpg market.

And Lucas was a nice add to that.

But if you give me Flying Man as playable, I'll forgive Lucas being gone. Cause he's actually 16 bit. And looks fun in Magicant.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
We need Party Phil to represent Wii Party, it's Nintendo's best selling franchise not represented in Smash. Miis represent Wii sports and Wii Play since they're the only characters in those games, Wii Fit Trainer represents Wii Fit, we need Party Phil to represent Wii Party. The only Nintendo series that are more successful than Wii Party that don't have a playable character to represent it are Nintendogs and Brain Age, but they don't have characters that can work, Party Phil works, and we'll probably see more games from the series in the future. Party Phil for Smash!
I'm only half trolling

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
We need Party Phil to represent Wii Party, it's Nintendo's best selling franchise not represented in Smash. Miis represent Wii sports and Wii Play since they're the only characters in those games, Wii Fit Trainer represents Wii Fit, we need Party Phil to represent Wii Party. The only Nintendo series that are more successful than Wii Party that don't have a playable character to represent it are Nintendogs and Brain Age, but they don't have characters that can work, Party Phil works, and we'll probably see more games from the series in the future. Party Phil for Smash!
I'm only half trolling
Mario Party>Wii Party at least for me. Also what about Sebastion Tute representing Wii Music?:troll:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
:4pit: :4palutena:
:4lucina: :4robinf: :4rob:
:4ludwig: :4duckhunt::4ganondorf: :4drmario: :4shulk:
:4falcon: :4wiifit: :4villagerf: :4metaknight: :4myfriends: :4pacman: :4megaman: :4wario2:
These would be the characters I play most. After the top two rows, they're in no particular order, except for the basic outline of how much I'd play them.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
:4charizard::4charizard::4charizard:
:4yoshi::4robinm::4shulk::4duckhunt:
:4bowserjr::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4littlemac::4miibrawl::4pikachu::4tlink::4miigun:
Then I dabble with everyone else.​

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As for people who think logic and that :4bowser: should be my main,he was pre-release and with the demo,but :4shulk: got up on him and rekt him. Don't believe me? It's in his trailer! :troll:

I try to still use Bowser today (but my 3DS ded'd. RIP in Peace 2013 - 2015),and it's just that Bowser is powerful,but he is easily hit. But I still get those sick reads off of anti-Bowsers,which is pretty much everyone.

but those are my top 20. Zelda works pretty well for me. Nayru's Love is useful for stopping close-range attacks as well as projectiles, and Din's Fire/Phantom Slash are good for stopping recovery. This works well on people like :4myfriends::4shulk::4falcon:, without good recovery. Finally, I'll use Lightning Kick for power.
lolm8 do u even :4shulk:?
Jump Monado,air dodge,up special.

EDIT : wait m8? Did you just say :4shulk: 's recovery was bad? How dare you! It's really good! I've been in situations where that second hit makes for great counters for edge-guarding and for finishing combos.
I don't know about the rest though. I'm pretty sure :4myfriends:gets super armor or something.

Everyone posting their mains in tier lists...

Ok, I'll bite.

Most Often: :4myfriends::4bowserjr:
Pretty Often: :4lucina::4sonic::4lucario::4zss::4yoshi:
Considerably Often: :4duckhunt::4palutena::4fox::4robinf::4shulk::4wario2:
I call bad because Sonic Boom was bad,and we all called it except for you. :troll:

Not much to talk about huh?

:4lucina:
---------------------------------
:4lucario:
:rosalina::4megaman:
:4ganondorf::4robinf::4sonic:
I like that a lot of people use :4sonic: and :4lucario:,mainly Lucario. I was nearly 2-stocked by a :4ganondorf:,but then I got maximum aura and 2-KO'd him. I have the recording,I believe. As for Sonic,I'm getting used to it. Speed is a priority. The dash is also pretty cool. A good edge trap can be the up smash,which has kill potential. Finally,there's the up special and up aerial,which is a good finisher. "ha dat wuz elmost tao aeesee."

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I like that a lot of people use Sonic and Lucario,mainly Lucario. I was nearly 2-stocked by a ganondorf,but then I got maximum aura and 2-KO'd him. I have the recording,I believe. As for Sonic,I'm getting used to it. Speed is a priority. The dash is also pretty cool. A good edge trap can be the up smash,which has kill potential. Finally,there's the up special and up aerial,which is a good finisher. "ha dat wuz elmost tao aeesee."
I love Sonic. He's so obnoxious and annoying to fight...and it's glorious :shades:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Characters I use a lot::4lucario::4pikachu::4pit::4robinm::4drmario::4jigglypuff::4tlink:

Characters I use but not as much::4greninja::4falco::4fox::4sonic::4sheik::4kirby::4lucina:

Characters I barely use but still like::4falcon::4bowser::4larry::4villager::4wario::4shulk::4duckhunt::4samus::4pacman:

Characters I refuse to play::4myfriends::4ganondorf::rosalina::4littlemac::4zss::4dedede::4diddy:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
My top main guys are :4tlink::4ness::4villager:
Characters I choose fairly often :4mario::rosalina::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4lucina::4duckhunt::4bowserjr:
Characters I occasionaly choose :4wario::4sonic::4pit::4peach::4olimar::4drmario::4palutena::4zelda:

None of them are in any particular order though.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Okay, so I ended up getting lost in all the conversations I missed out on, and I see we're discussing 'Use of Mains in a tier list'. In that case, here's a shortened version of my 'main usage tier list'.
Melee: Pretty much always Roy:roymelee:
In SSB4, (Very Common) Shulk :4shulk: & Lucina :4lucina: (Common) Dark Pit :4darkpit:, Fox:4fox: (Never use) Charizard:4charizard:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, so I ended up getting lost in all the conversations I missed out on, and I see we're discussing 'Use of Mains in a tier list'. In that case, here's a shortened version of my 'main usage tier list'.
Melee: Pretty much always Roy:roymelee:
In SSB4, (Very Common) Shulk :4shulk: & Lucina :4lucina: (Common) Dark Pit :4darkpit:, Fox:4fox: (Never use) Charizard:4charizard:
Never use :4charizard:? Why not?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Never use :4charizard:? Why not?
Maybe it has something to do with not being a big fan of Charizard in Smash 4.,, I guess not liking the zard means a 6 point ban against my name, president? (Not that not using Charizard a lot deserves to be banned...) Guess I should change that when I get back from school - For Glory, Charizard only for 4 games.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Joshy's the best, you can't compete against Joshy. :4yoshi: After that it's :4littlemac::4ness::4sonic: I play as :4rob: to deal with super annoying projectile spammers, :4diddy:just because he's cheap and easy to use, somewhat good with :4pacman::4shulk::4drmario::4marth::4fox::4zss::rosalina::4sheik:everyone else I'm ok with or just bad with.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Alright so I posted the characters I like. But not my actual mains. SO! Here are my mains from best to worst!

:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4drmario::4robinm::4sonic::4falco::4greninja: (By worst, I don't mean how much I like the character,Just my skill level)

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Was my favorite and most played character:

Would be my favorite and most played ever:

Pac-Man: :4pacman:
Mains circa 64-Melee-Brawl-Wii U/3DS: :4ness::4gaw::4olimar::4duckhunt:
Secondaries: :4shulk::4link::4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede:
Tertiaries (?)::4rob::4falcon::4ganondorf::4zelda::4sheik::4palutena::4robinf:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Lemme join in on the action!

Primary: :4mario: :4robinm: :4falcon::4drmario:

Secondary: :4shulk: :4lucina: :4pit: :4darkpit: :4littlemac: :4fox:

Tertiary: :4link: :4diddy: :4pikachu: :4bowser: :4palutena: :4dk: :4zelda: :4falco: :4rob:

This is based on my Fighter Records for the Wii U version BTW.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why am I not seeing a lot of :4wiifit::4wiifitm:? The double-sided hits,the soccer meteor effect,THE PRAISING OF THE SUN!
Characters I refuse to play::4littlemac:
Why not? It's harder than it looks!

Maybe it has something to do with not being a big fan of Charizard in Smash 4.,,
I know...
It should've been the Trainer that went solo! :troll: Run people over with your bike,then use fly to get up from the stage. I can make a whole moveset for the PKMN Trainer alone if people wish too see one.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Me too!
Most played: :4greninja::4littlemac::4robinm::4shulk::4marth:
Usually play::4myfriends::4falcon::4falco::4fox::4pacman:
Sometimes play::4lucina::rosalina::4wiifit::4diddy::4pit:
:4darkpit::4dedede::4mario:
Once in a while::4duckhunt::4kirby::4rob::4tlink::4palutena::4megaman::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4miisword::4ganondorf::4drmario::4wario::4miigun::4bowser::4bowserjr:
Barely/ not experienced with: everyone else.

... This is too much, isn't it?:lol:

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm really comfortable with R.O.B., Dark Pit, and Olimar really. Shulk might become my main eventually, I'm still not used to his playstyle.
I still don't understand how how some people need time to understand Shulk,then there are those like mwah that instantly unleashed the beastly power of British men who are really feeling it. I know everybody's different and whatnot,but it boggles my mind.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Some characters I like to play. Though I dabble with most of the cast, I guess I go back to these guys consistently.
:4rob::4pacman::4megaman::4miigun:
:4duckhunt::4gaw::4robinf::4alph::4drmario::4zelda:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom