• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
I don't think a piece of music = a character.
But it was like 10 songs and I dont think they could all fit on gamer and other than Animal crossing I dont think series with 1 character get 2 stages
there were also mother tracks but who that was Hinting at is odvious

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, Metal Face in particular does seem to be a fun option (albeit one sure to outrage the Size Purists, heh). Great to see you're supporting the individuals, not the "reps," wish more people did the same.

I like shock characters when they're done well. DHD was always an option I wanted to see in-game, and I was quite happy to see him implemented. On the other hand, WFT was a bad concept from the getgo, brainstormed up in the context of "what characters will shock people?" and creatively limited in only being able to use realistic yoga poses for most of her moveset.
I admittedly toned back my expectations for Metal Face when he was confirmed as a stage hazard when I realised he'd be very...difficult to work into Smash, owing to various reasons. Now that I think about it, though, who cares if a giant robot is stomping around the battlefield at a slightly smaller size than usual? That's the beauty of Smash, you can do whatever you want and still make it work!

Which brings me to the next point. I agree with you on Duck Hunt (except the initial point, I never thought he'd appear in the roster, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw him in action), but I think Wii Fit is a pretty clever and innovative concept too. The fact that they fight with realistic yoga poses is quite bizarre, but it work in the same way that Snake does: it's so realistic and out of place that it's actually brilliantly left-field. And the way the stances and concepts from actual yoga and fitness exercises (the "Sun Salutation" pose, footballs, hula-hoops and breathing techniques) is teased out and helps to work in a fighting game is wonderfully creative.

Buuuut I see why you would consider them a poor choice of character and I respect that. That's what I love about character speculation, you get all sorts of different ideas and opinions, and everybody's got their own tastes and theories. I love that - it makes the process feel alive and organic. :3

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But it was like 10 songs and I dont think they could all fit on gamer and other than Animal crossing I dont think series with 1 character get 2 stages
there were also mother tracks but who that was Hinting at is odvious
Then Wanda confirmed.
We're getting a fairy,guys.
Are you hyped? I'm not.

EDIT : loljk. I know you meant Mother and Wario as a series,that was just a little joke to play with people.
I don't know any Wario rep besides Waluigi,Ashley,or Mona. So...Mona? wat.

Last edited:

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing you meant MARIO & Wario. That doesn't bring any new reps up but one,Wanda. She was the one to assist Mario and others who were trapped with a bucket on their head to guide him to someone who can take it off,because she is a fairy,and we know how weak fairies were until they realize they can beat the living souls out of dragons. She also made an appearance in Wario's Woods,but is un-named and preferred to as "the sprite." Of which she is in Mario & Wario. The music was catchy,so I can tell why it was considered.
I cant tell if your trolling or serious
but there were some Mother /Earthbound tracks and some Wario tracks I dont think all this music could fit on Onett and Gamer so there was most likely a 2nd for each and minus Animal crossing No series with 1 characters have 2 stages so Lucas and a 2nd wario character were going to be in but got scrapped

everyone knows melia is the best Xenoblade rep

The problem with shock characters is the same problem ROB had. They get blamed for not being that one character everyone wanted. Duck Hunt probably would have had it to him if Dark Pit didn't sacrifice himself like that. It happened to Wii fit and it would probably happen again unfortunately. Smashers are quite ravenous aren't we :/

Also "True" metal face would be amazing because reasons.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I cant tell if your trolling or serious
but there were some Mother /Earthbound tracks and some Wario tracks I dont think all this music could fit on Onett and Gamer so there was most likely a 2nd for each and minus Animal crossing No series with 1 characters have 2 stages so Lucas and a 2nd wario character were going to be in but got scrapped
There's an edit that shows I was messing with you.
But in reality,I first thought you meant Mario & Wario,but I went with it. No means to hurt the feels,m8.

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
But the missing stages were probably something from mother 3 and WarioWare.Ink 2
There's an edit that shows I was messing with you.
But in reality,I first thought you meant Mario & Wario,but I went with it. No means to hurt the feels,m8.
Its ok but with what you said makes me want to make a Wanda moveset .......... WAIT Wanda Is a pink wearing fairy Ive heard of another wanda like that

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
But the missing stages were probably something from mother 3 and WarioWare.Ink 2

Its ok but with what you said makes me want to make a Wanda moveset .......... WAIT Wanda Is a pink wearing fairy Ive heard of another wanda like that
Cosmo under Rosalina's dress confirmed.

But a stage (Probably Magicant and Wario Wario inc.) seems more likely than new characters, since the latter aren't directly tied to songs.
It's not like Sak thinks: "Dang, the character is cut. That means that these 10 songs can't get in either."

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd love to see Ashley in Smash.

Waluigi, too, if he gets a major role in a Wario game and has some cool moves to use in Smash.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ashley is my preferred choice for a Wario character too. It's a bit strange that despite the colourful cast of character we've had, not a single one is specifically a wand user. Wand using magicians are everywhere in fiction.

:231:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Waluigi would be cool in smash, but for the moment he would be competing with Toad for moves (unless Toad had an unlimited amount of spore based moves.). But it is only a matter of time before he joins Wario Ware/Wario Land. Ashley would be cool too (And this is coming from someone who has no clue what she can do.). I think the Boy and his Blob would be really unique as well. I'm willing to bet that if the A Boy and His Blob remake was made by Nindendo, they would either be in Brawl, ssb4, or both.
Amaterasu could have the gimmick of switching weapons. Theses weapons could alter her play style, and could be used strategically. (If people say that is too complex they obviously haven't played Marvel Vs. Capcom.) Toro could do something similar, but is less likely to ever join.
The game could use some more magic users. Zelda, Rosalina & Luma, and Robin use magic, but that is about it. (Mario's power ups are items, and Kirby's copy abilities are a species thing, so they don't count. Neither do enchanted swords.) There is so much more you could do with magic than putting sparkles on your hands and calling it magic. Noseferatu and Zelda's form change are about as creative as they got with it. You could create arcane weapons that fight on their own. You could make a flower grow on an opponent's head. Heck, you could slow down time if you wanted to (Though that could be a little too OP). I think Ashley would be a great way to stray from the archetypal fireball attack and teleport recovery.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Lip would be one of the better choices for a wand user.
Her Lip Stick isn't generic and has a unique sapping gimmick that would work great as a playstyle. Throw in the other blocks in Panel de Pon like the Garbage block and you have someone very interesting to play as.

Though she is a very unlikely choice right now.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Makes you wonder though. Who is the most likely wand user for Smash 5 or DLC?

Kamek? Ashley? Or a Beam Kirby custom move?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Makes you wonder though. Who is the most likely wand user for Smash 5 or DLC?

Kamek? Ashley? Or a Beam Kirby custom move?

Lip, at least for DLC, because I don't think characters with roles (more than a trophy) in-game would get added as playable. True, she'd probably be a different style of wand-user, as she'd likely summon blocks and strangle people with flowers.

For a sequel, 'eh, I dunno. Maybe Ashley, it all depends. I have little hope of Lip being playable, but she's got a pretty decent following. And Panel de Pon is a popular franchise. If they continue that franchise I'd probably still have to say Lip. Kamek I don't really think they'd make playable, personally, although I wouldn't be against it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Bowser Jr. is fourth-heaviest, tied with Charizard, right? He really doesn't feel like a heavyweight, especially not in comparison to supposedly lighter guys like Ganondorf or Ike, since none of his moves are really based around power, other than, like, D-Smash and the hammer swing.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Heavyweight newcomer when?
:4shulk:

Can become the heaviest one. :troll:

Seriously though, wouldn't hurt if we get some more heavyweights... and make them good ones at that. Would make the roster feel more diverse if anything. Plus if you throw in popular potential ones like K. Rool, it's all good.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I can't even imagine how Sakurai would make a long, heavy character air based without making said character overpowered or underpowered. (Ridley)

Make him too long, he's a punching bag. Give him a lot of super armor, he's broken.

So perhaps Ridley wasn't too big... just awkward psysicly.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I can't even imagine how Sakurai would make a long, heavy character air based without making said character overpowered or underpowered. (Ridley)

Make him too long, he's a punching bag. Give him a lot of super armor, he's broken.

Wait, Ridley's psychic now? ;3

Nah but seriously, I think that's the real issue here. "Too big" is just an excuse. It's not impossible, of course, and he's easily shrunk down to fit the scale of the stage, but I get that it may seem daunting at first.

Of course, mods prove it's very, very possible. Just gotta get a bit creative~

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

People overestimate how "broken" heavyweights would be if they weren't absolutely horrible in every area other than power. There's a reason the vast majority of heavyweights that have been playable thus far have been competitively dead on arrival.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Bowser Jr. is a heavyweight?

I guess that doesn't not make sense...
Well, he does ride a mech, so it makes sense why he's a heavyweight like Bowser, Ganondorf or Ike.

He doesn't feel like that, though. He doesn't have that heavy hitter vibe the other characters have and is pretty agile with good jumping ability as well.

I think his weight is changed when he ditches the Clown Car. If he's not riding the Clown Car, he becomes much lighter.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I thought Bowser Jr. was a projectile camper spacer. This explains much. Oh well. Ill just keep using Ike (I don't know why I'm good with him. I just am. It's weird because I hated him in brawl, and I was still good at him.) as my heavyweight main. (Dunno who else ill main though. I'm having trouble deciding.)

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
People overestimate how "broken" heavyweights would be if they weren't absolutely horrible in every area other than power. There's a reason the vast majority of heavyweights that have been playable thus far have been competitively dead on arrival.
Remember when people were saying that Bowser was top tier or even broken because he got a speed boost? Good times.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Bowser jr's weight throws me a little off between the two versions, he feels a bit heavier in the Wii U version compared to the 3DS version, I don't know if that's just me or anything but yeah.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Remember when people were saying that Bowser was top tier or even broken because he got a speed boost? Good times.
That was because people were unable to cope up with the suddenly buffed powerhouse. :p Good times indeed.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't think i can really be argued that "reps" for series do, in fact, exist.
It is not micromanaged to the point that each series is given a number specifically, but there is definitely a ratio of what can be expected to be seen.
Mario, Pokemon and Zelda will remain on top; this reflects Nintendo and is a proportion that we can reliably predict, it also feels right. I doubt we would have two Links or even Sheik if having a large number of Zelda characters were truly important, because the series would be fine with just the main Three. Pokemon and Mario are weird examples, given the vast characters and mediums of one, and the sister-series of the other, but they certainly still deserve to be on top in representatives.
In fact, I'd say, to bring the conversation back to WFT, she was included because the series, being so booming as the 4th largest selling game for Nintendo, deserved a rep enough to inspire Nintendo.

I think the fact that we have so many avatar characters proves that 'reps' exist. Villager, WFT, the Miis, and Robin, are l representative of something more in their series; as was Pokemon trainer. In the case of Villager in particular, he is a rep of his series.

I don't hold steadfast to thoughts thinking a series cannot be lowered in roster representation, though. Lucas was unnecessary in the first place, and even being one of my top 5 most played Brawl characters, he is superfluous and expendable when it comes to Nintendo, and quite honestly Mother is lucky to get even one character, at least, as early in the series as it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom