• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Okay, then you called someone an asinine moron for not understanding your point about Mario canon.

You still called someone an asinine moron over Mario canon.
....You continue to show poor reading comprehension (which is ironically what got me initially pissed off in the first place).
Because what you're saying literally didn't happen.

No, you didn't do anything wrong, Golden just turned it into a problem. I'm glad it's over though.
No, the problem is you and Lilfut, with both of you having the sheer inability to read what is being said and comprehend it.
Maybe how I'm taking it leaves something to be desired, but anyone in my position would understand how aggravating it is to have to put up with it. That and Lilfut using his poor reading comprehension as an excuse to aggravate me even further.

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No offense guys but y'all are really teaming up on Golden for no reason. Can we please just segway into another, more civilized, character driven, conversation?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
So how about that Wonder-Red?
I just started playing TW101 about a week ago on a friend's suggestion, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it so far. Would it be cheating to have him use other Unite Morphs? Ness never learned most of his specials, but then those aren't as linked to specific characters as the Unite Morphs.

D

Deleted member

No offense guys but y'all are really teaming up on Golden for no reason. Can we please just segway into another, more civilized, character driven, conversation?
I would joke that we should move on to Ridley for a "civilized" conversation.....but, yeah.....
So how about that Goku? :troll:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So how about that Wonder-Red?
I just started playing TW101 about a week ago on a friend's suggestion, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it so far. Would it be cheating to have him use other Unite Morphs? Ness never learned most of his specials, but then those aren't as linked to specific characters as the Unite Morphs.
I think Wonder-Red has a very expansive potential move-set without having to have the other Unite Morphs, but I'm cool with either.
I would joke that we should move on to Ridley for a "civilized" conversation.....but, yeah.....
So how about that Goku? :troll:
RIDLEY'S TOO BIG!!!
Overused joke is overused
GOKU!?!?!?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
All I know is that one of Wonder-Red's alts would need to be somehow based on Wonder-Beer, the secret best Wonderful One.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Very low. It's Microsoft's IP now.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yuyuki. An old Famicon Disk System pair of games that is a text-based adventure retelling of the story of Son Goku/Sun Wukong.
So Shin Onigashima had a sister series? I didn't know that, that's very interesting.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
If nothing else he should be an assist trophy, for all those "pls gib goku" folks

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No, you didn't do anything wrong, Golden just turned it into a problem. I'm glad I bailed before things got heated up.
This guy worries me sometimes.
You started it. That was a put down, plain and simple.

If it was a joke, it was devoid of humor.

Regardless, anyone else have a good feeling about Chibi-Robo?

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Never played a Chibi-Robo game, but from what I've heard it seems like he'd be an odd fit.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Golden, can I ask why you consider Mario Land a spin-off? Doesn't really seem like one to me.

It's a pretty standard 2D Mario platformer that plays pretty much like every other 2D Mario platformer. You still play as Mario. You're still hopping on enemies and running endlessly to the right to save a captured Princess. It's just on a Gameboy this time.

Would you call Link's Awakening a spin-off?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Confession time: the reason I prefer Cranky as a DK newcomer to Dixie or K. Rool is that the DKC games always felt like hot garbage to me, and Cranky's antics were the only redeeming factor IMO.

D

Deleted member

Golden, can I ask why you consider Mario Land a spin-off? Doesn't really seem like one to me.

It's a pretty standard 2D Mario platformer that plays pretty much like every other 2D Mario platformer. You still play as Mario. You're still hopping on enemies and running endlessly to the right to save a captured Princess. It's just on a Gameboy this time.

Would you call Link's Awakening a spin-off?
Because they are listed as such on the Super Mario Wiki due to being worked on Yokoi and the R&D1 as opposed to Miyamoto and the in-house EAD team.
The Super Mario Land series is a sub-series in the Mario franchise for the original Game Boy. This series, unlike the previous Mario titles, wasn't worked on by Shigeru Miyamoto, but his mentor, Gunpei Yokoi instead. It lasted from 1989 to 1993. Starting with the third installment, Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, the series turned its focus over to Wario, and the series ended up spinning off to the Wario Land series. The title of Super Mario 3D Land is an homage to this series. Despite their names, they are not considered a part of the main Super Mario series.
This is supported by anything related to the 25th Anniversary excluding the Land games as part of the timeline:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
If they won't put a Macro Zone track in Mario Kart, then as much as I hate to say it I don't see Smash referencing Mario Land games.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If they won't put a Macro Zone track in Mario Kart, then as much as I hate to say it I don't see Smash referencing Mario Land games.
Well, we have music from it.

Not saying much though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
How about discussing the possibility of a retro character as DLC?
Unless you count the Ice Climbers, I don't think so.

Given the technical issues that prevented their inclusion, I doubt we'll be seeing them in this game as playable characters.

After Mewtwo, I can only really see Wolf and Lucas returning. They're two characters that have a lot going for them:
- The fact they were considered for Melee and Brawl (appearing only in the latter, though). Curiously, Mewtwo fits the same bill, except that he appears in Melee instead of Brawl.
- The fact some of their special moves have been assigned to other characters suggests to me that they were worked on but scrapped mid-development (probably due to time constraints, as Sakurai stated multiple times that there wasn't enough time to bring every character back). The development team could have recycled some of their data for custom moves.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Who did you have in mind?

Ice Climbers are looking unlikely due to the technical difficulties of the 3DS
Prince Sable is an Assist Trophy
Balloon Fighter looks unlikely due to Villager's Up + B
Takamaru is an Assist Trophy
Lip's Stick is an item still rendering her unlikely.
Sheriff is an Assist Trophy

So...Bubbles? Mach Rider? Excitebiker? Donbe and Hikari? Tamagon? Diskun? I don't think any are particularly likely, personally...

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
My bet would be on Excitebiker.

They're one of the few retros left iconic enough to sell themselves. Not to mention they would likely end up with a unique, marketable moveset.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
My bet would be on Excitebiker.

They're one of the few retros left iconic enough to sell themselves. Not to mention they would likely end up with a unique, marketable moveset.
Excitebiker > Mach Rider bar none.

Why you ask? Because there are many color possibilities for him and he's a bigger daredevil than the latter. His cute little helmet is a plus too. :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Who did you have in mind?

Ice Climbers are looking unlikely due to the technical difficulties of the 3DS
Prince Sable is an Assist Trophy
Balloon Fighter looks unlikely due to Villager's Up + B
Takamaru is an Assist Trophy
Lip's Stick is an item still rendering her unlikely.
Sheriff is an Assist Trophy

So...Bubbles? Mach Rider? Excitebiker? Donbe and Hikari? Tamagon? Diskun? I don't think any are particularly likely, personally...
We are definitely running out of iconic retro Nintendo characters... but when we start running out of iconic retro Nintendo video game characters... I think it is time we turn to iconic retro Nintendo cartoon characters... :awesome:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Missed this, but I'm really warming up to the idea of Chibi-Robo. I don't know a heck of a lot about him, but he's one of the more interesting options I see thrown out every now and then.

Does Chibi have much of a fanbase?
It's a bit of a small fanbase, his name gets tossed pretty often in Smashboards.
He's a pretty diverse character option, but seeing that his newest games are now on the minor eShop lineup (Which I personally think is a very bad position to be in), I don't feel confident he'll get in.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
It's a bit of a small fanbase, his name gets tossed pretty often in Smashboards.
He's a pretty diverse character option, but seeing that his newest games are now on the minor eShop lineup (Which I personally think is a very bad position to be in), I don't feel confident he'll get in.
I'm a big fan of the first game (can anyone here comment on whether the DS games are any good?) but I feel the same way. I could see Chibi-Robo getting in Smash at some point or another, especially if Skip Ltd. are able to pull together another prominent release, but my guess is that consideration for DLC requires an amount of name recognition that Chibi-Robo just doesn't have at the moment, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom