• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Except for maybe Snake, but even he looks unlikely. The company Snake is from (can't remember the name) and Nintendo aren't exactly on friendly terms.

And you change your profile picture every other day it seems like.
Snake is owned by Konami.

The main reason he was in Brawl and nearly in Melee is that Sakurai is really good friends with Metal Gear Solid's creator.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Hey what do you guys think of this?

6 of those spaces are the last enemies of All-Star Mode for Wii U, Pac-Man:4pacman:, Little Mac:4littlemac:, Luigi:4luigi:, Mario:4mario:, Donkey Kong:4dk: and Mr. Game & Watch:4gaw:

It seems off considering how organized everything else looks. But then to fill it ALL up, you would need 16 characters. That is obviously too high a number.
Interesting catch. I haven't played All Stars yet, but it looks like they at least set it up for DLC. It could be that way on purpose, but it seems odd how they filled up the left side and not the right.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I want to talk about clones. So I will!
I know the idea of clone characters being made free DLC has been brought up before.
I like how the three clones in Smash 4 basically serve as alternate versions of other characters. I would really like to see this done for other characters that have noticeable gimmicks. For example -

Medusa / Viridi = Palutena clone that uses her custom specials as their default
Cosmic Guide = Rosalina clone with no Luma but more power
Mr. Sandman = Little Mac clone with less speed, more power and no KO meter
Micaiah = Fast Robin clone?
Proto Man = Mega Man clone with a shield like Link's.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I want to talk about clones. So I will!
I know the idea of clone characters being made free DLC has been brought up before.
I like how the three clones in Smash 4 basically serve as alternate versions of other characters. I would really like to see this done for other characters that have noticeable gimmicks. For example -

Medusa / Viridi = Palutena clone that uses her custom specials as their default
Cosmic Guide = Rosalina clone with no Luma but more power
Mr. Sandman = Little Mac clone with less speed, more power and no KO meter
Micaiah = Fast Robin clone?
Proto Man = Mega Man clone with a shield like Link's.
Micaiah as Robin clone would be... odd. She doesn't use swords at all in her original game.

Viridi as a Palutena clone would work, given she can grant the same powers to Pit. The light-based attacks could be replaced by nature-themed moves. For example, up smash would be a giant tree root instead of a light pillar. Maybe she could have a different Final Smash, in which she would launch a Reset Bomb, causing an explosion and leaving a bunch of plants that would sit there for a while and damage players on contact.

The only thing I can see against Viridi would be her cameo on the Reset Bomb Forest. (When Viridi joins the battle, Alfonzo is in charge of the Reset Bomb launching. Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!")

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Micaiah as Robin clone would be... odd. She doesn't use swords at all in her original game.
Well I was looking for someone popular or well-known, and Morgan is not really either of those things. Micaiah can use a staff in her promoted classes though, and it could work as a melee weapon. Granted, they aren't, but neither is the Levin Sword.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well I was looking for someone popular or well-known, and Morgan is not really either of those things. Micaiah can use a staff in her promoted classes though, and it could work as a melee weapon. Granted, they aren't, but neither is the Levin Sword.
The Levin Sword is still a sword. Sure, in Awakening, it always has a ranged animation, but there are games (Path of Radiance, for example) where magic weapons have melee animations when used in close combat and ranged animation (like the Levin Sword) when used at long range.

Not too farfetched to have Robin use the Levin Sword with melee animations. Unlike giving Micaiah a sword or have her whacking foes with a staff. I'd like to see Micaiah as a more unique character with a full magic based moveset.

She would work better as a Zelda clone, actually. Replace the Phantom with a Nosferatu move (appearing as Light magic just like it did in Radiant Dawn) and she would be in a similar situation as Dr. Mario or Dark Pit. Farore's Wind could be cloned as a Warp staff move (remove the damaging proprieties as well and maybe give more range as compensation), Nayru's Love and Din's Fire could be cloned as well, but having light magic effects, different proprieties and more generic move names. Her Final Smash would be different as well, maybe she would use a staff move to recover her % and that of her team mates and/or giving some temporary buffs as well? Could be an interesting move...

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
We could always have Vaati as a Zelda clone. :lick:
Sigh...

The Levin Sword is still a sword. Sure, in Awakening, it always has a ranged animation, but there are games (Path of Radiance, for example) where magic weapons have melee animations when used in close combat and ranged animation (like the Levin Sword) when used at long range.
I think you're missing the point of the original post.

D

Deleted member

Viridi = Palutena clone that uses her custom specials as their default
After the news about Dark Pit joining Viridi's forces, this concept got a lot more hilarious.
Pit/Palutena vs. Dark Pit/Viridi.

And considering we know little to nothing of what Viridi is capable of in combat, as well as the fact she has the same Power of Flight miracle Palutena has...perhaps she and Palutena are more similar than everyone thinks.:troll:
EDIT: Even better; those miracles Pit uses in Uprising that Palutena uses for her Specials are bestowed to him by both Palutena and Viridi in-game. :awesome:

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Gonna side with mymerlincat. Not sure why we want more clones.
I love clones, not sure what the issue is with people hating them. They take existing move sets but change up the underlying playstyle so that more people can enjoy them while also offering an aesthetic change and giving fans of specific characters a playable representative while costing far fewer dev resources then a brand new character. I wouldn't want them as the focal point of DLC, but I would love them as padding on DLC packs. (This is also taking into consideration that they are at the very least Melee style clones. Dark Pit and Lucina were a bit too close to their source characters for my liking.)

Also, @PushDustIn shared this with us in the Data Dump thread in the Leak group. The 3DS version of the game has stage clear data for extra All Star mode stages.

THESE STAGES WOULD ALLOW ALL STAR MODE TO EXPAND TO UP TO 18 ADDITIONAL CHARACTERS.

Now, this does not mean we will get that many DLC characters, but it does corroborate with the Wii U All Star Wall spaces. The game was clearly set up for a large amount of DLC, just in case.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I honestly have no problem with clones as long as they make sense, aren't in excess, and weren't a matter of direct choice between the clone and an alternative (i.e. there was clear choice between Shadow Dedede as a clone and K. Rool as a non-clone, and Shadow Dedede is picked).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Dixie Kong can get in as a Diddy Kong clone (similar A moves) but her special moves are different... maybe she can use Animal Buddies to assist her... Squawks for Up+B (carry Dixie and fly while spitting eggs)... Rambi for Side+B (charge to run over enemies)... Ellie for Down+B (shoots water to push enemies away)... Squitter for Neutral B (shoot webs to trap enemies)... custom moves involve some other Animal Buddies... Rattly for Up+B (jump really high)... Expresso for Side+B (floats while running over enemies)...

D

Deleted member

@ Arcadenik Arcadenik If she has different specials, she's not a clone.
You're literally describing Jigglypuff's relationship to Kirby (similar normal attacks, but wildly different Specials).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Arcadenik Arcadenik If she has different specials, she's not a clone.
You're literally describing Jigglypuff's relationship to Kirby (similar normal attacks, but wildly different Specials).
Hey, that's true... I just think that she would be pretty fun to play with regardless of her special moves... I always preferred to play as Dixie over Diddy (except in climbing intensive levels in the original DKC trilogy). I am always picturing her floating with her hair in the air as she performs spinning kicks and drilling kicks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What attacks then? I don't recall any being remotely similar outside f-air/b-air and d-air (well, f-smash too).
Quoth SmashWiki:
Both share similar forward smashes, down smashes, neutral aerials, forward aerials (Kirby's hits multiple times, but he extends both legs in front of him as does Jigglypuff), down aerials, tilts, back throws, item animations, and ledge animations. Both also have near identical physics, with similar size, shape, weight, falling speed, and both possess five midair jumps. Their special moves, however, are all completely different.
More changes were applied over time (mainly by altering Kirby, not Jigglypuff), but Jigglypuff was originally very similar to Kirby outside of their Special attacks.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Princess Daisy for Little Mac clone.

Search your feelings, you know it'd work.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

*Googles images* Hell yes.

Or a street thug with a baseball bat. That would work too.

Y'know, Daisy's face in fanart, especially drawings always looks better than her real, rendered face which is pudgy to say the least. Please, make her Spanish or Middle Eastern, Nintendo! Retcon her! DO IT!!!

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

She did one hit KO Bowser in Mario Party 3 right. Make her default her sports outfit though, since it suits her better.
As for whether or not I want clone DLC, it depends on the clone. I wouldn't object to clone characters like Daisy, Black Shadow, and Sami ( if they make her a clone of Snake). However I don't want clone DLC to out prioritize other more deserving characters for DLC like Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers (if possible), Isaac, and Krool (and to some extent Roy, Pichu, and Young Link). Clone DLC could release alongside characters like that,but not outprioritise them. That's the only way I'd support clone DLC. The only exceptions I might make are if some of the clones are newcomers I want, though that's only 1 or 2 newcomers I want that have the possibility of being full on clones.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I would take a couple of clones. Like if it was a pack of like three instead of just individually.

As long as it's not Toon Zelda.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
*Googles images* Hell yes.

Or a street thug with a baseball bat. That would work too.

Y'know, Daisy's face in fanart, especially drawings always looks better than her real, rendered face which is pudgy to say the least. Please, make her Spanish or Middle Eastern, Nintendo! Retcon her! DO IT!!!
Haha that would be an amazing twist.

Daisy as a Little Mac clone who ends up being stronger.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wouldn't be opposed to a few Brawl styled semi-clones.... :T

I kinda want at least Wolf back too, perhaps Lucas too as DLC. Would be interesting to see how things will go once we get Mewtwo.

I'm not opposed to Toon Zelda myself, we already probably got worse offenders anyway so why the heck not. *shrugs*

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
It's funny really, how I hate the principle and overall idea of clone characters... yet I don't want to see them cut once they're in the game. I'm still wanting Roy to return and a future Smash game without Lucina and Dark Pit, for example, would probably feel odd. So I guess I'd buy DLC clones if they're cool enough characters, though unique characters is what I'd prefer the most.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's funny really, how I hate the principle and overall idea of clone characters... yet I don't want to see them cut once they're in the game. I'm still wanting Roy to return and a future Smash game without Lucina and Dark Pit, for example, would probably feel odd. So I guess I'd buy DLC clones if they're cool enough characters, though unique characters is what I'd prefer the most.
People warm to characters really quickly once they see them in action or use them.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
People warm to characters really quickly once they see them in action or use them.
Kinda like me with Lucas and Ness in Brawl. Now, they're two of my favorite chracters. Even Dark Pit has become one of my mains and I wasn't thrilled about his inclusion. Every character has it's own fanbase (casual and competitive) that like to use the character no matter what, one of the reasons I feel that veterans have higher priority for DLC than newcomers.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I will surely not like it if Lucina and Dark Pit are cut in the next game. Yes, they're clones and very close to their counterparts, more than any other clone in the series ever, but they're still among my most used characters and I liked those characters in their original games. But that's me.

People out there are still reviling their very existence. And you know what? Haters can hate all they want, because I don't care! :awesome:

Speaking of clones, I actually liked seeing Dr. Mario return as well. It was pretty cool to me to see a character from Melee that was absent in Brawl join the battle once more.

Of course, the same goes for Mewtwo (who's not a clone, but still a clone :p), with 9000x more hype because I mostly used him back then and was one of my most wanted characters for this game.

It's a similar situation for Toon Link. I remember people hating him back when he was confirmed for Brawl (via leak, no less!) and I was actually happy about his inclusion because I really liked Wind Waker.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Inb4 millions of Captain Toad and Paper Mario fans cry themselves to sleep. :troll:

I'd rather have her as a DLC alt (Assuming that we can have more alts in a DLC pack).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I love clones, not sure what the issue is with people hating them. They take existing move sets but change up the underlying playstyle so that more people can enjoy them while also offering an aesthetic change and giving fans of specific characters a playable representative while costing far fewer dev resources then a brand new character. I wouldn't want them as the focal point of DLC, but I would love them as padding on DLC packs. (This is also taking into consideration that they are at the very least Melee style clones. Dark Pit and Lucina were a bit too close to their source characters for my liking.)

Also, @PushDustIn shared this with us in the Data Dump thread in the Leak group. The 3DS version of the game has stage clear data for extra All Star mode stages.

THESE STAGES WOULD ALLOW ALL STAR MODE TO EXPAND TO UP TO 18 ADDITIONAL CHARACTERS.

Now, this does not mean we will get that many DLC characters, but it does corroborate with the Wii U All Star Wall spaces. The game was clearly set up for a large amount of DLC, just in case.

Interesting.

I played All-Stars and I noticed that extra space is only visabile if you move the camera. But it's strange they would have the extra room and not use it. So they may have it just in case. Sakurai has said that Mewtwo is a test, so I'm guessing they left their options open in case they want to do it (which I expect they will). Also wonder when we are going to get the other features they talked about in the 50 facts. Maybe with Mewtwo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom