• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It came out before that in Japan. Not sure exactly when though.
I believe it was April, 2012.

It came out long before X and Y were released worldwide. That's not even considering how much was known about the game before its release.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I thought FE awakening came out February 2013 and Pokemon XY came out September 2013. If so that's not much of a difference.
It came out before that in Japan. Not sure exactly when though.
"The game was released on April 19, 2012, in Japan, February 4, 2013, in North America and April 19, 2013, in Europe." - FE wikia

Pokemon X/Y was released internationally on the same day. Edit: I mean from nation-to-nation, not in relation to one of the 3 FE:A releases, in case that was what someone assumed.

For japanese audiences, Robin is significantly older, but for the US it was only about 7 months and 5 for PAL.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I believe it was April, 2012.

It came out long before X and Y were released worldwide. That's not even considering how much was known about the game before its release.
Oh. Well, I'm pretty sure X and Y will be over a year old when smash comes out.

I know that doesn't have much to the conversation, but I think at least that's right.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh. Well, I'm pretty sure X and Y will be over a year old when smash comes out.

I know that doesn't have much to the conversation, but I think at least that's right.
Doesn't really change my perspective on the matter.

I still don't care much for Greninja, and I still like Robin.

Last edited:

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
@MaskO'Gears

Best to Worst

1. :4robinm:
I was ready to accept Chrom as a newcomer, but thought that Robin would be a much better choice, being a mage character with much more potential. Now we have Robin, and I am very excited to play as him. The fact that his weapons have limited use in reference to Fire Emblem is icing on the cake.

2. :4littlemac:
Little Mac is made of hype. Everything about him looks fun, and I love the fact that he is a lightning bruiser on the ground, but completely helpless in the air. A very different character, which is something I never thought I’d say about someone limited to only punches.

3. :4greninja:
My favorite of the three Kalos starter evolutions, Sakurai could not have picked a better Pokémon from X and Y (maybe Hawlucha, but that’s a bit of a stretch). He may not have a cool gimmick like most of the other newcomers, but he just looks fun to play as.

4. :4palutena:
I’m not as hyped about Palutena as I thought I was going to be, but the fact that she’s playable makes me very happy. Her moveset seems cool, but nothing about really made me want to play as her over some of the other newcomers. That being said, I love her character too much to put her any lower on this list.

5. :4megaman:
I’ve never even played a Mega Man game, but when he was unveiled, I got VERY hyped about this game. He was always the next logical choice for a third party character after Sonic. His moveset looks really fun with all of the long-ranged options. And dat Final Smash tho.

6. :rosalina:
I welcome Rosalina onto the roster, and her playstyle is certainly unlike anything we’ve seen before, being a puppeteer character. However, she doesn’t really generate the kind of hype that some of the other characters do. I love Rosalina and Super Mario Galaxy, but I just don’t think I’ll be playing as her very much.

7. :4mii:
I used to despise the idea of Miis being in Smash Bros., but the way Sakurai went about implementing them made me love the idea. The three different types of Mii Fighter and the customizations options that come with each one make me very excited to put my own Mii in Smash Bros. My favorite Mii Fighter is the Mii Gunner.

8. :4pacman:
Nothing about Pac-Man’s moveset really got me excited about playing as him, but I’m glad he’s on the roster, completing the four-mascot ensemble alongside Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man. He does looks fun, but not especially interesting, at least to me.

9. :4villager:
I’m glad we have an Animal Crossing character, and Villager, again, looks like a fun character. But so many characters have been announced since the Villager’s unveil, and they just continue to make Villager look less and less impressive my comparison. Besides, I don't play Animal Crossing. That being said, his Pocket special is something that I look forward to.

10. :4wiifit:
Wii Fit Trainer’s inclusion in the game makes complete sense to me (although I never could have predicted it), but like Villager, she is greatly overshadowed by other newcomers. Unlike Villager, she doesn’t look very fun to play as, at least by comparison.

11. :4lucina:
I like Lucina (I didn’t marry her for nothing, ya know), but her moveset brings nothing new to the table, being a clone of Marth. But, hey, the more characters, the better, especially if they are from Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Alright speculators.. I'm collecting opinions for a special article in the week in review, Top 11 Newcomers.

Basically, all I need is for you to list all of the newcomers, and give your reasoning behind why they rank higher or lower. For instance:

11. :4wiifit:
(Why WFT is #11)

10. :4pacman:
(Why Pac-Man is #10)

Your participation is greatly needed, and appreciated.

Thanks!
1. :4palutena: My most wanted newcomer, and my obvious favorite. I loved her in Uprising, she was hilarious, and now I get to use her in smash! So excited to try her out.
2. :rosalina: I didn't expect her, and didn't really care if she was included, but she ended up being a VERY cool inclusion, with a move set that I am insanely excited to try out.
3. :4lucina: She's an amazing character in awakening with a super coop story, I like using marth, however I prefer Lucina as a character, so I'll be using her a lot.
4. :4villager: I love animal crossing, so of course I'm excited to give this little guy a try.
5. :4wiifit: A hilarious inclusion, her move set actually looks like a load of fun.
6. :4robinm: Loved awakening, and though I didn't like robins personality in the game, his move set looks extremely interesting and samurai was very obviously influenced by them game!
7. :4greninja: Love ninja characters, and he was unexpected, but a very cool inclusion.
8. :4megaman: Megaman is very cool, not sure how I feel about his move set though.
9. :4littlemac: Little Mac definitely deserved a spot in the game, but I love using aerials so I will probably not use him much.
10. :4pacman: He was pretty much expected, a cool inclusion, however I'm just not very interested in using him.
11. :4mii: I really hate miis, I'm just glad you can't use them online. I would've rather seen the long development time put into them on someone more interesting.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
1. :4villager: my second favorite Nintendo series is Animal Crossing and I think it should have gotten a character in Brawl. It certainly deserves more reps than some of the series's that have more than it does too, but I'm okay with only Villager since it might be too hard to come up with move sets for the others.
2. :4pacman: he just genuinely excited me, I was really hoping for him, too and I was super glad he was put in. I'm very glad he got the spot since he deserves it more than anyone else from Namco, and fits in perfectly.
3. :4lucina: she just seems very interesting to me and since I like playing as Marth I'll like playing as her. She's also a very certain type of character that I'm super glad they added.
4. :4mii:now I can play as anyone I want! and their move sets look super cool too!
5. :4megaman: my favorite version of Mega Man and not someone that really surprised me by his inclusion, but never the less I'm happy to see included anyway. Like Pac-Man, he fits in perfectly.
6. :4robinf: kind of like why I like Lucina, but the female version appeals to me more, and I wish she would be the default rather than the male.
7. :4wiifit: she's kind of quirky and a fun addition.
8. :4littlemac:he's cool and deserved his own spot.
9. :rosalina: it kind of bothers me she got in over another Mario character who deserved it; I don't dislike Rosalina but she's extremely overrated in comparison to other Mario characters and I wish they'd stop milking her so much in everything.
10. :4greninja: I really don't care for him at all and he's just an extremely lame pokemon to me.
11. :4palutena: Why?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'll put mine in!

11. :4mii:
I accept the Miis. They deserve to be in. But wasting time making three characters, and then completely unique custom moves. Sakurai said it perfectly: they have the same amount of movesets equal to 9 characters. Such a waste. I don't hate the inclusion, but I really don't like how they put in SO much effort.

This is where it gets difficult. I really like the WFT, but compared to everyone else, she doesn't really stand out. Like the inclusion! But while the moveset is ridiculously crazy, it doesn't scream out to me.

9. :4littlemac:
I was thrilled to see Little Mac, he's a good addition. I just focus primarily on Aerial Fighters, and he completely diminishes that possibility. He does have the looks, don't get me wrong.

8. :4villager:
I was surprised to see an AC rep! The Villager is so random and crazy, I think he looks really fun to play as. It's just I can't put him above anyone else because I like them more.

7. :4megaman:
Mega Man is a projectile-heavy character. He seems to be an excellent choice for a character, and he looked so cool. He doesn't Punch or Kick except for one move! Uniqueness at it's finest!

6. :4greninja:
Greninja was my first Pokemon in XY! I loved playing as him, he was so fun to play with. And his inclusion in Smash made me really happy that they are using newer generations. It's great they're including him.

5. :4lucina:
I know Lucina's a clone, but I honestly can't explain it. I was so thrilled by her reveal. I think I'll really like playing as her. She seems like a more usable version of Marth to me. It was tough mastering Marth, so it's nice I can use a different approach.

4. :4pacman:
I really like Pac-Man. It was an obvious choice and his use of summoning the bonus fruit is a cool attribute. They made him to look very interesting and I can't wait to see more of his moveset.

3. :rosalina:
A puppeteer had to come sooner or later. I remember so many people thinking she'd be a Peach clone. Now look. She has one of the most unique skills in the game.

2. :4robinf:
The use of tomes is incredible. It's all about usage and depletion. Finally, a FE character that isn't a blue-haired swordsman! Can't wait to play as her!

1. :4palutena:
Most wanted newcomer. And they executed her perfectly. I cannot wait to play as her. Point blank.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'll put mine in!

11. :4mii:
I accept the Miis. They deserve to be in. But wasting time making three characters, and then completely unique custom moves. Sakurai said it perfectly: they have the same amount of movesets equal to 9 characters. Such a waste. I don't hate the inclusion, but I really don't like how they put in SO much effort.

This is where it gets difficult. I really like the WFT, but compared to everyone else, she doesn't really stand out. Like the inclusion! But while the moveset is ridiculously crazy, it doesn't scream out to me.

9. :4littlemac:
I was thrilled to see Little Mac, he's a good addition. I just focus primarily on Aerial Fighters, and he completely diminishes that possibility. He does have the looks, don't get me wrong.

8. :4villager:
I was surprised to see an AC rep! The Villager is so random and crazy, I think he looks really fun to play as. It's just I can't put him above anyone else because I like them more.

7. :4megaman:
Mega Man is a projectile-heavy character. He seems to be an excellent choice for a character, and he looked so cool. He doesn't Punch or Kick except for one move! Uniqueness at it's finest!

6. :4greninja:
Greninja was my first Pokemon in XY! I loved playing as him, he was so fun to play with. And his inclusion in Smash made me really happy that they are using newer generations. It's great they're including him.

5. :4lucina:
I know Lucina's a clone, but I honestly can't explain it. I was so thrilled by her reveal. I think I'll really like playing as her. She seems like a more usable version of Marth to me. It was tough mastering Marth, so it's nice I can use a different approach.

4. :4pacman:
I really like Pac-Man. It was an obvious choice and his use of summoning the bonus fruit is a cool attribute. They made him to look very interesting and I can't wait to see more of his moveset.

3. :rosalina:
A puppeteer had to come sooner or later. I remember so many people thinking she'd be a Peach clone. Now look. She has one of the most unique skills in the game.

2. :4robinf:
The use of tomes is incredible. It's all about usage and depletion. Finally, a FE character that isn't a blue-haired swordsman! Can't wait to play as her!

1. :4palutena:
Most wanted newcomer. And they executed her perfectly. I cannot wait to play as her. Point blank.
Our lists are completely different, but I love how you seem to be excited for everyone... I wish I could be like that! ha

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Our lists are completely different, but I love how you seem to be excited for everyone... I wish I could be like that! ha
Honestly, I loved every single newcomer shown. I think all of them are really exciting and fresh (even Lucina!). The only qualm I have with the newcomer selection is twofold:

1. Miis essentially being three characters. Could have put development time into something else.

2. There's really only so far been two HUGELY requested Nintendo characters added: Palutena and Little Mac. All the others are popular in their own right, but I'd really want to see the likes of Ridley, K. Rool/Dixie, Shulk, and the return of Mewtwo. If I get two of those, I'm set, and this could possibly be the most diverse cast of newcomers we've had. Still, without them, I'd be a little upset, but still satisfied.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
1. :4villager: While I've always liked animal crossing, I've never been a huge supporter of a rep in smash for them. But everything I've seen about him so far makes me love him, his attacks are hilarious. As a G&W lover this guy seems to fit my style.
2. :4robinm: Ding Dong **** you Gematsu. Nuff said.
3. :4pacman: Very iconic, not the ****ty ghostly adventures model, and unique looking gameplay. I'd rather have bomberman, but I understand the chances of that lol.
4. :4megaman: Talk about making the right choices about third parties. They are sooo hype.
5. :4mii: Honestly they were a shoo in. I didn't care for them too much, but seeing the intense level of customization that we're given over them, I'm suddenly excited. I can finally play as my Samus mii! :p
6. :rosalina: While I would've preferred Toad, I gotta admit, I'm excited because of the Luma concept. And honestly she looks pretty badass. Plus there are a lot of bad mario reps that could've gotten in instead and honestly I feel like Rosalina was a dodged bullet more than anything else.
7. :4greninja: I'm honestly more excited for solo Charizard than for this guy, he still looks fun to play. I'm honestly pretty neutral on this guy, no hype or hate.
8. :4wiifit: I was actually pretty mad for a while after she was announced, it took a while for me to warm up to her. I wouldn't have minded this character if she were the secret last unlockable WTF character, like G&W or ROB, but showing her early seems weird. idk. I don't dislike her anymore, but I'm still a little salty lol.
9. :4lucina: I don't hate clones, but as a clone she doesn't bring anything exciting to the stage. I like the padded roster, but I don't think I would've cared if she were an alternate costume instead of playable.
10. :4littlemac: He's a boxer in a fighting game... Just a bit boring imo. I would've rather a few other retro reps than this guy. He looks super strong, but eh. Probably the only guy I'm looking forward to trying atm.
11. :4palutena: Kid Icarus in no way needed a second rep. I was kinda mad when she was shown. She looks friggen awesome to play as, and her moves look ridiculous and awesome, but I still hate her lol.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
11. :4palutena: Kid Icarus in no way needed a second rep. I was kinda mad when she was shown. She looks friggen awesome to play as, and her moves look ridiculous and awesome, but I still hate her lol.
I'm sorry, but I can't comprehend that sentence at all. Oh, well. I'm positive you'll warm up to her if you play with her.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh guess I'll join in too, here's my opinians on them new characters.....

11.:4pacman: Don't really care all that much for Pac-Man, I knew he was very likely but yah....
10.:4wiifit:She was a pretty funny addition initially but after seeing some more newcomers her novelty has worn out a little for me I guess....
9.:4lucina: She's a pretty sweet addition I suppose but I kinda would have preferred Anna or Lyndis instead
8.:4robinm: See Lucina
7.:4littlemac:I don't really know much about Punch Out!! so I never really supported him, I am kinda interested to try one of his games out though.
6.:4megaman: Even though I hardly played any Megaman games (except Megaman 1 but not much) I do kinda like Megaman and I thought he was a pretty sweet addition.
5.:4mii: The only reason they are up there is because they are essentially the closest thing to get Professor Layton as a playable character for me, with their Top-Hats and Sword Fighter variations and all.
4.:4greninja: Even though I never supported him, Greninja was my starter of choice in X & Y and I did quite like the quirky frog, would have preferred Zoroark as our Pokemon newcomer but hey, Greninja is cool too. :)
3.:4palutena: A pretty big fan of Kid Icarus Uprising and I did support Palutena for Smash so I'm very happy to see her join the battle.
2.:rosalina: A character I supported as well but didn't really think she would make it in over other more supported Mario characters, glad to be wrong though.
1.:4villager: I didn't really support him at all but his inclusion did encourage me to pick up Animal Crossing New Leaf when it got released and I came to like these quirky, cute little people. If none of my more wanted characters make it in, I can see them becoming my main mains along with Toon Link and Ness.

All in all, I do like all the new additions in the end though.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm sorry, but I can't comprehend that sentence at all. Oh, well. I'm positive you'll warm up to her if you play with her.
Kid Icarus has 2 games that are like 20 years old, and one recent game; and it isn't being continued further. The only reason they got another rep was because Sakurai made the game lol. Completely insignificant series. Not hating on the new game, or the series/characters at all. Just mad cause salty.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Kid Icarus has 2 games that are like 20 years old, and one recent game; and it isn't being continued further. The only reason they got another rep was because Sakurai made the game lol. Completely insignificant series. Not hating on the new game, or the series/characters at all. Just mad cause salty.
Well, Uprising was a pretty popular game, and Palutena was pretty important in it.

This is coming from a KI fan, so take it as you will.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well, Uprising was a pretty popular game, and Palutena was pretty important in it.

This is coming from a KI fan, so take it as you will.
Those are facts. Fan or not, they're the truth. I'm just saying that a single revival game doesn't merit a second rep in smash.

But obviously I was wrong, so Palutena's last on my list because salt.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I've listed my newcomer satisfaction before, but I can't find it, so I'll just do it again.

1- :4lucina: 10/10

2- :rosalina: 10/10

3- :4megaman: 10/10

4- :4pacman: 9/10

5- :4littlemac:8/10

6- :4robinf: 8/10

7-:4wiifit: 7/10

8- :4villager: 5/10

9- :4greninja: 3/10

10-:4palutena:3/10

11- :4mii: 0/10

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I guess this debunks the notion of a Smash Direct or a general Nintendo Direct next week. Still, here's hoping I finally get Saria for Hyrule Warriors. :D

That said, with a Hyrule Warriors Direct next week, its possible we'll get Ganondorf announced on the website.
I'm waiting for some playable villains like Ganondorf, Skull Kid, Vaati and Ghirahim :dr^_^:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Kid Icarus actually has three games, one being on the GBC I think. However, I agree with you and I think two characters is somewhat pushing it. Especially after people gave Lucas a hard time because Earthbound didn't "deserve" two characters. Bias at its best. I'd like to also point out that I'm partially bias due to my lack of interest in Kid Icarus. Brawl's Pit left a bad impression for me. And I hated the first game too. I should really consider playing Uprising.

Espio264

Smash Ace
See now this question is difficult for me. I'm trying to be open minded on all the characters. For example, before Brawl this is how I would have ranked the newcomers:
:sonic::pt::lucario::metaknight::dedede::wolf::ike::rob::zerosuitsamus::pit::diddy::toonlink::olimar::warioc::lucas::snake:

But after playing them all, the list became:
:ike::pt::sonic::lucario::wolf::zerosuitsamus::metaknight::toonlink::lucas::rob::dedede::olimar::pit::snake::warioc::diddy:

So my list right now really means nothing. But I'll go by how fun they look.

1. :4robinm: Ike blew me away in Brawl. I feel like Robin's gonna do the same. The mixing of sword and tomes is intriguing as well. Plus he brought his attractive sister to the party :4robinf:.
2. :4megaman: Like Sonic, he fits in perfectly with the cast. Looks like a lot of fun.
3. :4greninja: Biased for Pokemon already, but he just looks like one of the most fun to play. All that'll be irrelevant though if and when Mewtwo comes back.
4. :rosalina: Balancing between her and Luma will take some getting used to, but I Iook forward to it.
5. :4pacman: Seems really goofy. Sometimes these are the best characters to pick up.
6.:4lucina: Marth is fun. To me she only has two noticable differences. I've got nothing against worthy clones. Falco's the man after all.
7. :4palutena:Pretty girl. Long hair. Long legs. Fights with the big boys. I had my moments with Peach, Zelda and Zero Suit. Who knows, maybe this is the girl I've been searching for.
8. :4littlemac:Looks fun but I can't say I'm excited about him. Hoping that I'm wrong.
9. :4villager: Same as Mac.
10. :4mii: Never supported them. Warming up to them. Hoping they surprise me.
11. :4wiifit: Just seems bland. In her defense, I felt similarly about Ike before Brawl, and now he's Best Man at me and Girl Robin's wedding next week. You're all invited!

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Kid Icarus actually has three games, one being on the GBC I think. However, I agree with you and I think two characters is somewhat pushing it. Especially after people gave Lucas a hard time because Earthbound didn't "deserve" two characters. Bias at its best. I'd like to also point out that I'm partially bias due to my lack of interest in Kid Icarus. Brawl's Pit left a bad impression for me. And I hated the first game too. I should really consider playing Uprising.
I said 3 games. I count GBC as pretty old. And everyone's got bias. If I didn't I wouldn't be so salty about Palutena xD

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
To be fair, Lucas only got in because he planned to replace Ness with Lucas in Melee. When that didn't work out, he just brought Ness back for the next game and also added Lucas as well.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I said 3 games. I count GBC as pretty old. And everyone's got bias. If I didn't I wouldn't be so salty about Palutena xD
I'm salty as well but because overall, Kid Icarus has already gotten a lot of representation besides just characters. I mean, the KI stage on the Wii U is already the biggest and what looks to be the most detailed stage in smash history.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Guess I'll come out of the shadows.
11.:4robinm::4robinf:: Not really interested in them since I haven't played a Fire Emblem game, could be fun, but so far they're my least favorite inclusions.
10.:4lucina:: I honestly think she should of stayed a costume.
9.:rosalina:: She's an advanced character, and I'm sure she'll be devastating in the right hands, but she just doesn't seem to fit my playstyle, kind of a shame, I do like her as a character.
8.:4greninja:: Not big into Pokémon, but he could be fun.
7.:4mii: : I really like what they did with the Miis, I was mixed on their inclusion at first, but I'm happy they're in. Can't wait to obliterate my opponents with Bill Nye the Science Guy.
6.:4wiifit:: Same as the Villager.
5.:4villager:: He's quirky and loveable, and seems like a great character to troll people with.
4.:4littlemac:: He wasn't on my personal wish list, but I'm happy for his fans, he seems to fit my playstyle greatly, I'm planning to have him as a main.
3.:4palutena:: I only played Uprising earlier this year, I had interest in it due to the "leak" (and Brainscratch's commentary on it). She was one of my favorite characters in the game(heck, there wasn't a single character in that game I didn't like), and I'm glad she's in.
2.:4pacman:: People question his addition to the roster, and all of I have to say is, does the grandfather of gaming really not deserve a spot. There's no doubt that Namco's involvement increased his chances, but he's Pac-Man for crying out loud.
1.:4megaman:: No other Capcom character deservers to be in Smash Bros. I haven't played much of the series (I plan to one day) but I have a huge amount of respect for the franchise.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Ok I am here just because @ The Light Music Club The Light Music Club was kind enough to tell what is going on in this thread, since these kind of opinions about characters sometimes end up in debates, I think I will not follow the results for the sake of not arguing with others.

1.-:4palutena: Palutena, the only character in the history of Smash I actually actively supported, in the past I was fine with the characters I get and didn't care what characters are left out. This changed when Palutena one of my favorite characters of all time alone with the Uprising cast came to existence. I love the cast of the game I love the game, I love the controls, I love the soundtrack and I love thi story. When those Palutena leaks became public, I was exceptical of them being legit, but that alone was good enough for me to join this site. Since then I stick with the lovely Palutena fan base and I don't regret my time spend on the boards.

Palutena is a deserving character, Nintendo is pushing females this time around and a goddess is just that kind of powerful being that represents women can be powerful too.

I actually don't care about "overrepresentation" or "no need for more reps" as long as the character brings something to the table I am perfectly fine with this. Pit brings the weapons Palutena the powers two really important mechanincs in Uprising, Sakurai did a really good job making both characters unique and different for each other.

2.- :4lucina: Lucina, I liked her character a lot in Awakening but actually didn't actively supported her because I saw no chances for her, glad I was mistaken, she is a clone yes and althought diversity is something I really like Lucina is more of a bonus character, that is why I don't get when people say that any character "lose" its spot because of her. She was a special situation and addition and I am going to break it to people who actually think she stole a spot, your character isn't going to be in the game even if Lucina wouldn't exist.

3.-:4robinm::4robinf:Robin, I like Robin as much as I like awakening glad they both are in

4.- :4greninja:,:4megaman:,:4pacman:,:rosalina:,:4wiifit: as previously stated, in the past I didn't really care about characters getting in and out I am happy with what I get, so all of these characters I like them all, just if they were in or out wouldn make a difference in my mood but these are great additions to the roster and I like them.

5.-:4littlemac: He is bellow mostly because I have no conection to him in anyway other than that another good addition

6.- :4villager: The thing that makes him a meme is actually the thing I don't like about him and the fact they went with his classic look being shorty, I am more of a fan of New Leaf villagers, but otherwise he is fine

7.- :4mii: The among of time put on these they could have programed other characters but decided to go over the top and make 3 different Miis, I don't consider them iconic characters more than iconic avatars, I am actually glad they are forbidden on the internet otherwise, it would drive me crazy the amoung of idiots using their sherk mii, hittler mii or other offensive things yes at this point that sherk meme is so old and bad that I find it offensive, come on Miiverse grow up already

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
OOOOO OOOO I LIKE THIS GAME!!!!!

1. :4robinm:- Abrabca-duh, my most wanted newcomer for a while, and, in my opinion, he was done perfectly.

2. :4palutena:- I really like Palutena as a character, and her trailer just made me love her even more. Her moveset is interesting and looks very fun, but I still feel a bit awkward about it, with no real explanation.

3. :4littlemac:- He already look really fun and just totally bad-ass, and was really excited to play him at SmashFest. My first hands-on experience with him wasn't great, but I just gotta practice. I'll love running around just beating the living **** out of EVERYTHING!

4. :4megaman:- All of his moves feel like specials and that's just brilliant. I never would've thought to make him that way, and my first experience with him was appealing. I had no idea what I was doing, but had a lot of fun. Once I get used to it, I think the novelty will wear off a bit, though.

5. :4pacman:- I was never fond of him as a choice because I didn't see all that move interesting moveset potentially, and thought it would just be scraped together ground pounds and the like. Thank you Sakurai, for proving me wrong.

6. :4villager:- I am going to kill you with the most impractical crap possible, and enjoy doing it OVER, and OVER, and OVER AGAIN!!

7. :4lucina:- **** off I like Lucina, okay!? xD

8.:4greninja:- He's really fun, but I'm still just iffy on his inclusion, and look forward to using the other newcomers so much more.

9. :4mii:- I hated them as choices, but I like what was done. Would still rather they weren't playable, but I'll enjoy having them. It's an interesting concept and still looks fun, I'll bite.

10.:4wiifit:- She's a cool and brilliant addition, but she's just so bland in terms of moveset, in my opinion. Easily overshadowed by other newcomers.

11.:rosalina:- She brings a cool mechanic to Smash, but it's not enough to make me like her. I have a history with disliking playstyles like hers, too. Never got the chance to use her at SmashFest.

0. :substitute:- I am going to find one, and hug it, indefinitely.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
List time? List time.

1. :4littlemac:- My single most-wanted newcomer in the game. His moves look amazing, and are quite a bit like how I expected them to be. Keep in mind, this was before Gematsu was gospel, when even the first leak was taken with a grain of salt because Mac was supposed to be at E3. The February Direct was met with sadness, as many expected a Diddy-Dixie tagteam on Valentine's Day, killing K. Rool's chances and potentially ruining Diddy. And this was in time for Tropical Freeze. But instead, we were met with the most hype-worthy newcomer trailer. "It's your time, Mac! Show'em whatchu got, baby!" Just...Little Mac.

2. :4villager: - I'm hyped for the Villager. I was always a closet supporter prior to his reveal, simply because I knew Sakurai damned him pre-Brawl. I thought he'd be another Sukapon. Clearly I was wrong, and I couldn't be happier. Plus, he looks really neat! I can't wait to try him.

3. :rosalina: - Similar to Villager in this way. I always loved the idea of Rosalina being playable since she was one of my favorite Mario characters. That being said, bring her up here over Toad or Bowser Jr. and you'd be crucified. As well, the puppeteer style is one of the two I always wanted to eventually see in Smash, along with Mech Fighter (still waiting for that one). Plus, I like the color teal.

4. :4robinm::4robinf: - This may surprise some people. No, I don't hate Robin. I never did. It's just that I always thought Chrom had the upper hand, or there was a chance of getting both Chrom and Robin, since they're a pair. I finally got an ammo-style character, which is awesome. His playstyle definitely looks interesting, and I'd love to give him a shot.

5. :4lucina: - I was pretty much the forum's number-one Chrom supporter. She's his daughter, so she's the closest thing I have. I'd rather her not be a clone, but at least she makes sense as one. Plus, she's an easier Marth, so that's awesome. Can't wait to test her out.

6. :4megaman: - SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT. MEGA MAN! I'd actually just gotten into Mega Man 2, my first MM game, a few months before E3 2013. Because of that, his trailer made me so hyped. Plus, he's a true projectile-heavy zoner. Definitely a worthy third party character.

7. :4pacman: - I love Pac-Man. He's a classic, and fully deserves his place in the game. And he takes from his Pac-Man World design! In addition, he just oozes personality. To those who criticize the ghost usage, it's not the first time the ghosts weren't antagonistic toward him. If only he was more of a summoner than we thought he was.

8. :4greninja: - Greninja was a lovely unexpected surprise. He was my starter in X and Y, and I absolutely love him. Seeing him in Smash was a lovely surprise. I just wish they'd have shown Mewtwo and Jigglypuff first, even if it meant keeping Greninja a secret. You know, just to have peace of mind.

9. :4wiifit: - She looks hilarious, and I have no problem with her. I just like most of the other newcomers more. :p The Deep Breathing thing looks awesome, and tons of her moves hit on both sides, which is neat-o. I look forward to trying her out.

10. :4palutena: - For Palutena, it's more so that we lack information. What are her default specials? What does she play like? That sort of thing. I will say that the side tilt in particular looks awesome, and oddly that's the move I'm most hyped for. Twirl twirl twirl. She is the lowest-rated newcomer that I can say I actually love.

11. :4mii: - Just...uggh. It doesn't help that I actively didn't want them. I'd rather actual characters make it in. And then they take up not one, not two, but three different movesets, with unique custom specials. They're literally three times the work put in Palutena, who in herself is three characters worth of work. And they're generic as all hell, and can't be used online. The Gunner's okay, I guess, but the Brawler and Swordfighter I actively despise. ESPECIALLY the swordfighter. So they get a unique sword set, but not Lucina? Chrom's "too generic," but these guys aren't? No thanks. But hey, at least I found my punching bag.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Ok I am here just because @ The Light Music Club The Light Music Club was kind enough to tell what is going on in this thread, since these kind of opinions about characters sometimes end up in debates, I think I will not follow the results for the sake of not arguing with others.

1.-:4palutena: Palutena, the only character in the history of Smash I actually actively supported, in the past I was fine with the characters I get and didn't care what characters are left out. This changed when Palutena one of my favorite characters of all time alone with the Uprising cast came to existence. I love the cast of the game I love the game, I love the controls, I love the soundtrack and I love thi story. When those Palutena leaks became public, I was exceptical of them being legit, but that alone was good enough for me to join this site. Since then I stick with the lovely Palutena fan base and I don't regret my time spend on the boards.

Palutena is a deserving character, Nintendo is pushing females this time around and a goddess is just that kind of powerful being that represents women can be powerful too.

I actually don't care about "overrepresentation" or "no need for more reps" as long as the character brings something to the table I am perfectly fine with this. Pit brings the weapons Palutena the powers two really important mechanincs in Uprising, Sakurai did a really good job making both characters unique and different for each other.

2.- :4lucina: Lucina, I liked her character a lot in Awakening but actually didn't actively supported her because I saw no chances for her, glad I was mistaken, she is a clone yes and althought diversity is something I really like Lucina is more of a bonus character, that is why I don't get when people say that any character "lose" its spot because of her. She was a special situation and addition and I am going to break it to people who actually think she stole a spot, your character isn't going to be in the game even if Lucina wouldn't exist.

3.-:4robinm::4robinf:Robin, I like Robin as much as I like awakening glad they both are in

4.- :4greninja:,:4megaman:,:4pacman:,:rosalina:,:4wiifit: as previously stated, in the past I didn't really care about characters getting in and out I am happy with what I get, so all of these characters I like them all, just if they were in or out wouldn make a difference in my mood but these are great additions to the roster and I like them.

5.-:4littlemac: He is bellow mostly because I have no conection to him in anyway other than that another good addition

6.- :4villager: The thing that makes him a meme is actually the thing I don't like about him and the fact they went with his classic look being shorty, I am more of a fan of New Leaf villagers, but otherwise he is fine

7.- :4mii: The among of time put on these they could have programed other characters but decided to go over the top and make 3 different Miis, I don't consider them iconic characters more than iconic avatars, I am actually glad they are forbidden on the internet otherwise, it would drive me crazy the amoung of idiots using their sherk mii, hittler mii or other offensive things yes at this point that sherk meme is so old and bad that I find it offensive, come on Miiverse grow up already
Shrek is offensive? :p

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Shrek is offensive? :p
Look again at the end of my post! yes these trolls ruin everything they don't even believe shrek is a thing but they keep pushing this worthless meme again and again and again, it was never funny to begin with. That is why I am glad this site is in existence, trolls here get banned and people are here to apport something else than follow a crappy trend. You simply can't have an intelligent argument on Miiverse, and sadly saving for some great artist the smash comunity in Miiverse is the land of the trolls or the beggars, that don't understand their characters aren't getting in the game

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
1-:4littlemac:Always thought this guy had awesome potential. And Punch Out! is my 2nd/3rd favorite Nintendo IP. Other than that, I wanted a less "gimmicky" fighter who took it all back to basics with straightforward close ranged fighting.

2-:4megaman: Huge Megaman fan since the first game. I expected him for Brawl, but I'm glad he's finally here, especially in these uncertain times for the blue bomber. Although I only slightly favor Mac a bit more, MM's trailer has been the hypest thing ever for this game so far.

3-:4pacman: I kinda dropped off the fanwagon at some point, but when I saw his trailer, I got my feelings and hype back. His moveset is a love letter from Namco. Definitely reached my inner child. And Pacman is just so... bright and happy, he fits PERFECTLY in this game.

4-:4robinm: I am not a fan of how over-represented Fire Emblem is getting. But I admit I did favor Robin (or any tactician) high above any other Fire Emblem character (especially lord). So when I saw him, I let out a sigh of relief.

5-:4wiifit: I was shocked when I finished watching her trailer. Mixed feelings all around. But at the end of it all, it was a leading female icon of a very popular modern franchise. And she looked both bizarre and interesting, which is why I ultimately liked her.

6-:rosalina: My initial reaction to her trailer was shameful... But that's because the hype was SO big, that when another Mario character proved to be the reveal of a 6 month worth of hype wait, I nearly lost it. But after Mac was finally revealed, I took a second look at Rosalina and admitted she was a pretty swell inclusion. And better than a lot of other Mario characters we could've gotten.

7-:4mii: I hated this idea in the beginning. I hate the idea of it taking up 3 character movesets. But the idea of being able to build my own character is something I like. I wish it could've been closer to what Emerl was in Sonic Battle, where you could choose absolutely ANY move from the game, and give it to Miis. Sadly, it didn't turn out that way, which is why he's so low on my list.

8-:4palutena: Don't get me wrong. I love Kid Icarus. I loved Pit's inclusion in Brawl. But a cult NES game, a GB game that nobody knows it exists, and a reboot/sequel on the 3DS is hardly enough for me to consider a 2nd Kid Icarus character worthy.
Still, she ain't all that bad. But she's still far from my favorite inclusion. At least she's unique. Perhaps TOO unique though...

9-:4villager: I'm just flat out saying it. I don't like Animal Crossing. I didn't like the Villager either. He knocked off the chances of a very iconic Nintendo character that's been a classic, and one of my favorite multiplayer NES games. (Balloon Fighter). And I ultimately don't get the charm about Villager's franchise. But at least his moves are interesting, he brings a whole new franchise to the table (not by much, since Brawl already represented AC quite a bit), and his alternate color schemes are basically other versions of the villager. Despite me not rolling him the welcome carpet, I admit he is a good and unique inclusion.

10-:4lucina: I can't stress enough how I found this character to be a waste of an inclusion. First of all, I have a problem with Sakurai going out saying how he can't think of movesets for certain characters, but then swordwielders from F.E. get 4 character in a SSB game before any of those. HOWEVER, Lucina is not dead last on my list for TWO reasons:
A: She's a clone. Which I calculate is merely 1/6 time+effort it takes to create a full-fledged character.
B::4falcon: mopping the floor with her in the reveal trailer, and :4robinm::4robinf: showing up to save her made it better.

11-:4greninja: Now Greninja... I would have rather gotten this character AFTER all of the Pokemon vets returned. There's one tiny problem with his reveal for me. :4charizard: If this guy wouldn't have shown up all independent and stuff, perhaps I might have reacted a bit better to Greninja. The problem here is both these characters seem to have gotten over MY Brawl main of choice.:pt: And I know it's a pretty selfish thing to say, but anyway I see it, Greninja is like 0 hype to me. All of these people are at stake because of him::mewtwomelee::ivysaur::squirtle::pt:. All of which I actually like. So to me something like:4greninja: is nowhere near 4 characters worth of inclusions.

That said, it seems to me Double-trailers are the bane of me. For different reasons, no less.
Still. I'm perfectly comfortable with how the roster is turning up. Yeah, so :pt: might not return, or Takamaru reached as far as Assist Trophy material, and Saki is an A.T. again, for some reason... I still have 2/3 of my most wanted characters, and even my long time favorite :4sonic: is back. So I REALLY can't complain. In fact, by the end of the day of a disappointment, I'm already over it. :p

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
11. :4lucina: Lucina - I love this new creative direction this Smash is going. The newcomers drip with flavor and represent a variety of playstyles. I do not hate the idea of clones, anymore. That said, Lucina was not going to beat out the more dynamic cast for me. However, she is an interesting minimalist clone. Take away Marth's mechanic that defines his spacing game and you have a completely different style of fighting.

10. :4palutena:Palutena - This comes down to not having a grasp of her hook (besides collection of novel specials). She could be our new heavyweight, but I just do not know enough details. I think she could have anti-air as a subtheme, bu not think it will define her broadly. I need more information to judge her.

9. :4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer - I laughed when she was revealed. I like her. But her style is jack-of-all-trades. Not the most noteworthy addition in terms of gameplay, but necessary in fighters. She is the new Mario. And by giving her attacks yoga poses, she does ascend past generic punching and kicking which these average fighters sometimes get locked into. Well-designed if not the most exciting.

8. :rosalina: Rosalina - The Galaxy games are amazing and she represents elements from the game as well as the elegant graceful atmosphere radiating from both titles. I just cannot see myself loving her playstyle, even I appreciate that it was added. I rank her as another Olimar for me. A very advanced character with a mechanic that I cannot have immense fun figuring out.

7. :4greninja: Greninja - I like turtles. I mean frogs. Amphibians and reptiles are just creatures I have always been fascinated with and pokemon reps deliver. A ninja has been done before, but his frogesque animations are terrific. Looks like fun.

6. :4littlemac:Little Mac - I never wanted him in. I thought he would be boring (not true) and only punch (true). Sakurai added plenty to make him shine as a dangerous, but risky character to play. A forward Smash with three inputs, armor on his smashes, an evading side special, a KO meter, and an all-in ground fighting style. Great job making a luke-warm concept (to me) ripe with flavor.

5. :4mii: Mii - This is a slow-burn character. People are going to be really excited about this character once they create themselves (as they would fight) and other design experiments. This will keep the game's momentum continuing for many casual players. And Mii's represent the customization aspect of the new Smash games.

4. :4robinm: Robin - An elemental mage. Finally. I dreaded a boring Fire Emblem representative, but instead was delivered this crazy combatant. Do you go all-in right away or save your juice. Looks really fun (and as a side note speaks of the other elements of FE that are ignored in Smash).

3. :4pacman: Pac-Man - I wanted him and got him. He has some interesting specials and plays somewhat of how I envisioned. A more wonky form of Mario. I still do not have a solid vision of how he plays, but am excited to try him out.

2. :4villager: Villager - I am just amazed with his design. The tree, the pocket, the balloons, the rocket, the net, the slingshot. He is just crazy all-the-way around.

1. :4megaman: Megaman - I wanted him and got him. This is a homerun. His sounds and moves remind me of the Megaman glory days. I was a big fan.

D

Deleted member

Alright speculators.. I'm collecting opinions for a special article in the week in review, Top 11 Newcomers.

Basically, all I need is for you to list all of the newcomers, and give your reasoning behind why they rank higher or lower. For instance:

11. :4wiifit:
(Why WFT is #11)

10. :4pacman:
(Why Pac-Man is #10)

Your participation is greatly needed, and appreciated.

Thanks!
11. :4lucina:
I personally feel that having both Lucina and Robin is overkill. I am understanding of the circumstances that lead to her being a character, though. Still, I'm disappointed in that she's a Marth with "slightly different flavor" instead of having a Karas-like style like I envisioned. Mainly because I don't really play as Marth.

10. :rosalina:
I have no strong feelings about Rosalina one way or another. Her playstyle seems a bit too complicated for my tastes, though.

9. :4megaman:
I've never really cared about Mega Man, even after seeing him in action. It's not that I don't like him, it's just I have no attachment to him like most other users.

8. :4mii:
Before the reveal, the idea of Miis was neutral to me. After the reveal, I'm actually intrigued in how they work. Despite this, I'm not going to invest much time into them since there's so much customization involved and I'm a lazy bum.

7. :4wiifit:
I was initially in a state of disbelief when I got the text from one of my friends that Wii Fit Trainer was a character, but over time, I grew accepting of her and am willing to try her out.

6. :4villager:
I have nothing much to say about Villager. Glad he's in and Animal Crossing has a character, but I probably won't play as him that much.

5. :4palutena:
Palutena seems interesting, but personally comes off as "ho hum" since she was kind of an obvious choice.

4. :4robinm::4robinf:
Robin definitely looks like fun to use and get points for not being Chrom (though I was interested in how Sakurai would handle him; oh well). Bonus points for being the first newcomer to blindside me since Greninja (not counting Lucina).

3. :4pacman:
Like Mega Man, never really cared about Pac-Man much. However, I was interested in how he'd work and was especially looking forward to the naysayers eating crow. What I didn't expect was that Pac-Man would break expectations and be someone I definitely want to try out.

2. :4greninja:
Like Wii Fit Trainer, I was in a state of disbelief at first. And like WFT, I got the memo second-hand (was in class during the Direct). Greninja just seemed so random given the then-common idea that the Pokémon characters would just be Brawl's plus Mewtwo. Despite not being my favored type of fighter, he just looks so damn fun to use and I grew to enjoy his presence.

1. :4littlemac:
The only one of these characters that I was hyped for before the reveal. I had my doubts about Little Mac given that he was rather limited in ability, but I'm glad Sakurai worked around that. I typically prefer ground-based combat (ironic, given the surprisingly acrobatic Wario and Dr. "The Fist" Mario being my mains), so Little Mac might be up my alley. His sheer uselessness in the air could pose a problem, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom