• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
If theres gonna be a Smash trailer at the end of the Direct, I'd imagine it'l show Ganondorf in a similar fashion as Cap. Falcon or Charizard (hopefully the latter, as to signify him getting a new moveset), and then have a newcomer show up, prefferably Ghirahim (unless they let loose... THE GROOSE)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So we might get to see the model they're gonna use for smash? (Was he in Skyloft for them to use that model)?

EDIT: @ Pazzo. Pazzo.

#1 Robin- Favorite (realistic) smash character from my favorite Ninetnedo series. Real Awesome Dude.
#2 Rosalina- Purley for her moveset, I love pupeeteer characters
#3 Megaman- Would've preferred X but I love the Megaman (X) series and he's a cool character to have
#4 Geninja- I like pokemon a lot, and while he's no my first choice, definitely a solid choice
#5 Villager- I played some animal crossing, and he seems like a cool little goofy dude
#6 Lucina- Love Fire Emblem, wasn't especially high on Luncia as a character, plus clone, so middle of the pack
#7 Pac-Man- He's okay, seems unique enough, classic pac-man is well classic
#8 Little Mac- Never played punch-out but the gimped fighter is a fun fighting game trope so meh
#9 Platenua- Don't like Kid Icarus, don't care about platenua, but is better than the Wii crew
#10 Mii's (I guess) honestly these last two could goeither way. Dumb character, waste of space, generic trope movesets, I really don't like them
#11 Wii Fit Trainer- Even dumber character, brings nothing to game, is kind of creepy, wish she wasn't in the game at all
Thanks for your input.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well i doubt we are getting anyone from this direct but i hope we do get a zelda newcomer because

If we get a zelda newcomer thats 3 for 4 of the throphy theory.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Just for personal taste, I would love to see a trailer for Ganondorf (new and improved) and Isaac shows up to face him. Pure epicness. I don't expect anything Smash related, though, just "if" we do. I'm just excited for more Hyrule Warriors stuff.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I understand why the trophy theory holds some reliability, but...

It's not like Palutena and an Awakening character weren't completely obvious.
Give me Ghirahim and I'll listen.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Thanks for your input.
#1: Palutena - 2nd most wanted character of mine. I love her model (minus no emotion which I think she'll eventually get) has a cool move set, and huge potential. Also from a game I really like. Another tough female. Gotta love 'em

#2: Robin - She's what I've been wanting from the Fire Emblem franchise. A mage. I use mages the most when I play Fire Emblem games (Ilyana in PoR and RD). She has the ability to use a sword to which is really cool. They picked the best voice actor out of the three they had for her.

#3: Lucina - Another female Fire Emblem character which is great. She's a tough female and one of the only characters I liked out of the Awakening Cast. Plus, like Roy, she has Marth's moves, without being Marth. That's great!

#4: Villager - I really wanted Animal Crossing to have a chance even though I haven't really played the game. He has a strange move set like Game and Watch, but it fits perfectly. I rather have Slider or Nook, but this is fine.

#5: Wii Fit Trainer - I think it's a lame pick. But I guess in a way it kind of makes sense. She's okay.

#6: Little Mac - I love Punch Out, but I don't like Little Mac. I don't really like the idea of having him in Smash for some reason. Maybe because he is a true fighter? Not sure.

#7: Mega Man - Never really liked the guy. I wanted a slew of other Cap characters I'd rather have. But he's tolerable.

#8: Rosalina - I don't like her or her games, but I like her more than the three below her. That's it. Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario are both more deserving.

#9: Greninja - Such a lame pick, from such a lame game in a great franchise. It breaks me that Gen 6 gets any representation at all. I guess it's better than Gen 5, but still. There are other Pokemon that I like much, much better.
He doesn't even have a real gimmick which is even more lame.

#10: Mii - I really hate the idea of this. Play photo dojo if you want to fight as your self. I don't get why Mii's have to be in everything. They are just ugly avatars used for Sports Games to welcome you to the Wii. That's all they should be.

#11: Pac Man - Sakurai suddenly thinks he has potential.. but then he has him use THE GHOSTS as an attack? In what world does it make sense for Blinky and co helping Pac Man? I find that incredibly ridiculous. I hate Pac Man's look to, but I guess it's better than the Disney one. Namco should've given me my IdolM@ster character... :(

Anyway, just want to mention, that I hate this new stage. Gen 5 was the worst game in the franchise. I wanted a stage like Cerulean Cave or The Cave of Origin. Heck, Pokefloats 2 would've been cool! This will most likely be a Spear Pillar ripoff, especially since Palkia is a Pokeball character deconfirming Spear Pillar as a Past Stage.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Alright speculators.. I'm collecting opinions for a special article in the week in review, Top 11 Newcomers.

Basically, all I need is for you to list all of the newcomers, and give your reasoning behind why they rank higher or lower. For instance:

11. :4wiifit:
(Why WFT is #11)

10. :4pacman:
(Why Pac-Man is #10)

Your participation is greatly needed, and appreciated.

Thanks!
1. Villager
The lack of an Animal Crossing character in Brawl was quite shocking. I love the Animal Crossing series and I honestly believe the series deserved a newcomer the most.

2. Robin
Personally, I'm glad Robin was decided on. While Chrom is the main lord of Awakening, the story mostly focused on Robin. Also, I'm glad that we finally have a Fire Emblem character that's shows other skills than a sword.

3. Greninja
Whether Greninja deserved a spot is somewhat debatable, but I'm glad to see his inclusion. Not many speculated his inclusion unless he was partnered with a Kalos Trainer. Froakie is my favorite Gen 6 starter so seeing Greninja in Smash is awesome.

4. Rosalina
After Paper Mario, Rosalina is my second most wanted Mario character. Her moveset looks fun and it really adds a lot to the roster.

5. Pac-Man
Pre-Brawl, Pac-Man was my most wanted 3rd party character after Sonic. His moveset looks very fun and I'm a fan of the first two Pac-Man World games. Still wish he had the Rev-Roll attack.

6. Lucina
She would be near the bottom if it wouldn't be the fact that I really like her as a character. I'm not too fond of her due to her clone status. Not only that, but she seems to be a straight-up clone, not even a semi-clone. However, I recently finished Awakening and so seeing her at all is a plus. Also, I hate Marth; so now I can play as Marth without being Marth.

7. Little Mac
At first, I was one of those guys that didn't want Little Mac. "All he does is punch." Yeah, I said that. Even now, I don't really care for him too much, but the trailer that he brought with him hyped me enough to say, "Wow, this guy looks like a beast!" Also, I know we'll get some good music with him being in the game.

8. Palutena
Before I decided to join SmashBoards and SmashBrosCentral, Palutena was someone that I actually would've liked to see. However, the more I visited the forums, the more I didn't want Palutena. I'd like to say that I am a Medusa and Hades supporter, and I'd much rather see them. I had a very high interest in Kid Icarus Uprising, but now I'm starting to lose any interest I had what-so-ever.

9. Megaman
I'm glad Megaman was decided as the Capcom representative. He truly deserved it, but that does not stop me from wanting so many other characters before him. I absolutely hated the original Megaman games. I wanted: Ryu, Ken, M. Bison, Morrigan, Zero, Vergil, Cody, Guy, and even Megaman X before who we got. Let me repeat this though, I do believe Megaman deserved the spot the most.

10. Wii Fit Trainer
Yes, the games are fun for a short amount of time, but I find her to be a very boring character. I'll play as her, but she really doesn't hype me at all. She's an inclusion that I say, "Oh, strange addition, but all right then." Whether Wii Fit actually deserved a character is probably debatable, but I do think it deserved a good amount of recognition.

11. Mii Fighters
I actually somewhat supported the Mii's, but NOT the way they were implemented in Smash. Everyone whined that my main in Brawl, Pokémon Trainer, took up three times the amount of time it would take to make one character. Well guess what, you all have another one, and this time it's a character that many people did not want. Anyway, I'm mad that the character doesn't bring ANYTHING from any of the Wii games that they are featured in. Many examples include: Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Party, and Wii Sports+.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
The current discussion seems to be on the matter of whether we will be getting a Zelda newcomer so I guess I'll toss forth my opinion on the matter. I do not think we are going to get a Zelda newcomer announced through the Hyrule Warriors direct. I believe Sakurai could tie in informing people of the direct with a Ganondorf announcement, but I do not expect any Zelda newcomer announced through a Hyrule Warriors dedicated direct nor announced al all for this SSB.

Alright speculators.. I'm collecting opinions for a special article in the week in review, Top 11 Newcomers.

Basically, all I need is for you to list all of the newcomers, and give your reasoning behind why they rank higher or lower. For instance:

(Why WFT is #11)

(Why Pac-Man is #10)

Thanks!
I believe there was a thread with a similar topic to this; Rank the Newcomers I believe. I guess I could easily copy down my answer from that here, though if you need it in greater detail than what I post here, feel free to ask;

1: :4littlemac: - He was my 3rd most wanted newcomer going into this SSB. I'm so glad he's playable at long last.

2: :4wiifit: - She was an unexpected addition, but when thinking about it, one of the most logical inclusions of all.

3: :4robinm::4robinf: - I like their move-set, they come across as a very interesting fighter.

4: :4villager: - Animal Crossing deserved playable representation and while I'd have preferred Tom Nook, Villager does well enough and has a fun, unique move-set.

5: :4palutena: - I'd have preferred Medusa, but will admit that Palutena deserved a spot.

6: :4greninja: - He seems a lot more interesting move-set wise than I initially thought. Not one I'm a huge fan of, but nothing against, and he does look fun to play as.

7: :4pacman: - I'm neutral on 3rd party inclusions, but will say that as 3rd party guests go, Pac-Man is a deserving one and represents Namco well.

8: :4megaman: - Same deal with Pac-Man, though rated slightly lower because of Pac-Man having that awesome Namco referencing taunt.

9: :4lucina: - I should be angry at a clone inclusion but I feel little negativity towards her. She's an extra that took little development time so I have no issue with her.

10: :rosalina: - I don't feel a 5th Mario rep was necessary and also felt other Mario reps were more deserving. She does have a unique move-set though, that's good.

11: :4mii: - Apparently can't be used online, and don't do a good job of representing their respective series and game inclusions.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Anyway, just want to mention, that I hate this new stage. Gen 5 was the worst game in the franchise. I wanted a stage like Cerulean Cave or The Cave of Origin. Heck, Pokefloats 2 would've been cool! This will most likely be a Spear Pillar ripoff, especially since Palkia is a Pokeball character deconfirming Spear Pillar as a Past Stage.
I agree, not only do I hate N, but his Castle was randomly implemented into the game. The Plasma Frigate would've been a better option but whatever, I don't really like Gen 5. Anyway, I want to see a Mystery Dungeon stage or at least some music.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

(Why WFT is #11)

(Why Pac-Man is #10)

Thanks!
1.:4greninja:
Out of all newcomers Greninja is the only one with a unique moveset I'm interested in, and that's enough to boost him over everyone else, despite him being a somewhat lousy Pokémon addition imo. He's still the best 6th Gen rep they could choose though as he's one of the few cool ones that was introduced.

2.:4lucina:
Not a unique moveset, but Marth's moveset is fun so that boosts her up a lot. I'm not good friends with the tipper, I like to go right into my opponent and rip him to shreds, and Lucina does that better. Plus, I prefer her design over Marth's, she's a radical girl.

3.:4megaman:
Doesn't look like a character I'll be able to play at all, but he's going to be fun to match up against. Oh, and he's Mega Man, so there's also that.

4.:4robinm:
Again, not one I'm going to enjoy playing I think, but he's going to be very fun to match up against I'm sure.

5.:4littlemac:
Great from a character inclusion standpoint, but man does it look like he sucks bad. I do still have a fondness of him since his moveset is pretty cool, but I don't think he will be very good.

6.:4villager:
He is... ehh... Okay I guess? I dunno, he's just fine, not particularly interesting but AC needed a character anyways.

7.:4pacman:
Not as boring a moveset as I expected from him, but it still doesn't look all that special, and as a character inclusion I still dislike Pac-Man a lot.

8.:4mii:
I don't mind them too much since they're not available for use online, and one of them has an arm cannon so that's cool, but man does it look like they sucked up a **** ton of development time.

9.:4wiifit:
Boring character with a boring moveset, I see no merit in her inclusion whatsoever other than she was a surprise. Having her Down-B be totally dependant on her Neutral-B is flat out bad design imo.

10.:4palutena:
Doesn't have anything that's terribly unique in her moveset, she can shoot beams but that's about it. Her personality and voice is what gets to me though, she's annoying as balls.

11.:rosalina:
Okay, so I don't really like gimmick heavy characters, thus I really dislike playing as and against Ice Climbers and Olimar. Apparently they felt like combining both into what can possibly turn out to be my least liked moveset in the series. That and she's definitely one of the most overrated video game characters ever, I swear it's only because of her hair.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Wow, so much mii hate. I like them cause it's basically the only way I could probably play as Layton.

Unless Layton is in, then they lose some stuff for me

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Here is mine if anybody is interested:

1. :4littlemac:- Favorite Video Game Character and I wanted him in Super Smash Brothers since I was little.
  2. :4megaman: - He should have been in the series since Melee, just like Little Mac.
  3. :4villager: - Another Video Game Character that I love. I love the Animal Crossing Series.
  4. :4palutena: - I loved her in the game she was in and I love the way her moveset looks. Her design is awesome as well.
  5. :4lucina: - I have always loved Marth's moveset, but hated the "Tip of the Blade" Mechanic, so she is perfect for me.
  6. :4robinm:/:4robinf: - I love the series that they come from and they look simply bad *** in their cloaks. Plus their movesets look wickedly fun.
  7. :4mii: - The Mii Fighters moveset is awesome and I love being able to put a character over their movesets.
  8. :rosalina: - I love her design, but never played the game she was in, I may change that some day.
  9. :4greninja: - I like the way his moveset looks and his design, but I will not main him since he moveset is not my style.
  10. :4pacman: - I am sort of indifferent about him being in and I don't like his moveset.
  11. :4wiifit: - I was surprised, but not pleasantly. She may look fun to play, but she is not my style.
Wow, so much mii hate. I like them cause it's basically the only way I could probably play as Layton.

Unless Layton is in, then they lose some stuff for me
Agreed, the main redeeming factor about playing Miis is imitating characters in some form.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Pazzo. Pazzo.
I'll tell you mine, too!

11. :4mii:
Mii Fighters exceeded my expectations, but it doesn't mean I like them too much. Mii Gunner seems cool, but the others are pretty generic overall. And taking up development time for three different movesets when they could have easily just added Mii Brawler isn't something I'm thrilled about either. I'll hardly use them but I see the appeal for sure.

10. :4lucina:
I don't mind clones, but I don't usually get excited about them either. Lucina seems like a Melee-ish clone; minor differences but distinct playstyle from her source. I don't dislike Lucina, I'm just not particularly thrilled about her.

9. :4wiifit:
I like Wii Fit Trainer a lot, so this is where it gets pretty tough. WFT's moveset is sort of run-of-the-mill, as there's nothing besides Deep Breathing -> Sun Salutation to make her stand out as a really unique character. What makes her very unique, though, is her appearance and actions. Push-up crouches and pull-up ledge grabs? Genius.

8. :4robinm:
I really like Robin, too. I've been playing through Awakening and I'm really enjoying it. Robin's magic/swordsman playstyle is very unique and refreshing, yes for the roster but more so for Fire Emblem representation in general.

7. :4palutena:
I absolutely love Palutena, which is why she's as high as she is. She's one of my favorite video game characters and I supported her addition wholeheartedly. But her reveal seemed misplaced and her moveset was a bit underwhelming. I would have preferred customization stay Mii's gimmick. Palutena could have been fine with a spacing magic moveset, and I'm disappointed that they didn't just give her a moveset like everyone else's.

6. :4villager:
Animal Crossing is a great series, and I really enjoy playing the games. Villager represents Animal Crossing perfectly: a gentle fighter that uses random items found in-game to defeat his opponents. His moveset is fun and I can see myself playing with Villager a lot.

5. :4pacman:
Pac-Man is even better than I pictured he would be. I was fine with a ton of chomping moves, but Sakurai went above and beyond and made Pac a love letter to the classic Namco arcade machines. Pac looks incredible; his sprite cycle, power pellet, sentry hydrant thing, EVERYTHING about Pac-Man is pretty much perfect. I didn't support Pac as much as some others here, but boy does he look awesome.

4. :4megaman:
I used to have Mega Man way up on the list, but then I decided that although I may play him once in a while, his playstyle doesn't speak to me as much as I thought. However Mega Man is a perfect addition; a classic video game figure with huge ties to Nintendo. His moveset is great and very well put together, with all of the most iconic robot masters represented, and a really cool projectile heavy playstyle. I can't wait to try Mega Man, even though I'm not sure how much of him I'll be playing.

3. :4greninja:
Wow, Greninja moved up a lot from last time. But after giving it thought, Greninja looks awesome! I chose him as my starter in Pokemon Y for a reason. He's quick, well balanced between ground and aerial game, and plays like no other character. I didn't see the reveal live, but I was shocked when I heard that Greninja was a newcomer. I had mixed feelings, but after watching a ton of Greninja matches at E3 I decided that Greninja would be one of my mains. Greninja would almost make up for a lack of Mewtwo. Almost.

2. :rosalina:
Also a character I had mixed feelings on at first, but after seeing her amazing puppeteer playstyle, I was in love (with her playstyle, I mean... Heh heh). She seems like a very precise character who needs to be played by someone with a lot of skill and practice. I'm positive that Rosalina will become a competitive favorite and I'm willing to put in the practice to wreck everyone with her. While my #1 will be the first character I play as next Smash, Rosalina can very well be my main.

1. :4littlemac:
I love Punch Out so much. I can't get enough Punch Out. My dad played Punch Out back in the 80's, which one day caused me to buy the game on the Virtual Console. I was not disappointed. A fighter/puzzle hybrid, Punch Out requires you to memorize patterns and tells from the opponents to become champion of the WVBA. I'm rambling on here, but Punch Out is easily one of my favorite games of all time. Imagine being me, watching the February Direct live and squirming in my seat trying to hold my excitement that Little Mac, possibly my most wanted newcomer, had finally joined the fray. Not only does his inclusion make me thrilled, but his playstyle is right up my alley. I love being in the air as much as the next guy, but a quick up close brawler like Mac is definitely someone that I could main. No matter who is revealed in the upcoming months, nobody will beat Mac for me.

Burruni

Smash Hero
My ranking for the 11 newcomers (best to worst)

:4palutena:: She brings to the table what I felt were some of the most fun aspects of KI:U besides the writing, the powers. As we know her 12 specials and Final Smash out of the direct, we know all she really has to offer here and most of them seem really interesting and potent (though right now we know we have 9 characters with a normal counter out of the 38 shown). I am just really excited to play her because she seems like a better "mage" than Zelda or the Mother boys for my playstyle.

:4greninja:: A swift close-combat trickster with a mighty charged projectile and one of the best "screen splats" of the roster. Can't way to play him.

:4robinm::4robinf:: Finally some Fire Emblem representation of another weapon archetype than sword! And the entire usage gimmick really seems interesting and true to the series. Shares some of the magey-ness from Palutena.

:4megaman:: Truly unique gameplay that feels like it was ripped from Megaman, doesn't really play like anyone else. MEGAMAN. SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT. FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD. Seriously though, I watched his reveal trailer at least 10 times when it first came out.

:rosalina:: A puppet character with a more direct desync capability than Icies and some truly unique combo ability. Not one I can see myself playing well, but I want to see someone go Wobble-levels of crazy with her.

:4littlemac:: The Antithesis to Jigglypuff. A monster on the ground with little to no true air power with an abysmal recovery. Dat KO meter. Seems really bad for competitive play though because it seems to be at least influenced by your recovery power.

:4pacman:: A good balance of old and new pac-man pieces while being basically a giant representative for a ton of old Namco arcade games.

:4lucina:: I'm really torn. I like Lucina as a character, but the best she can be at this point is a less-powerful, but more aggressive Marth with excellent speed and a better air game.

:4villager:: A stupid-fast recovery (that can be countered), ranged aerials, a tedious and almost fruitless (no pun intended) tree-based down special due to how easily avoided it can be for all the work needed to attack with it, and what people are calling the ultimate anti-projectile which upsets me as a Mr.G&W lover. He's unique, just not someone I enjoy.

:4wiifit:: The R.O.B. of this game in my eyes. A joke character with okay potential but has some bad gimmicks that really break the pace for a fighting game.

:4mii:: The best that could be done with Miis, but there has yet to be something to really "wow" or "grab" me about these characters. I respect the work done for them, but have no real interest to play as them.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy

(Why WFT is #11)

(Why Pac-Man is #10)

Thanks!
Oh, I'll bite. I love making lists!

11. :4mii: - They're cool, and much better implemented than I had expected. However, I can't say they get me super hyped.

10. :4wiifit: - She's what I have referred to before as a "hilarious gag character turned contender." Still, she's not my personal fav.

9. :4villager: - The Villager is a fun, wacky, unique character, but I'm not a huge Animal Crossing fan. Glad to have him, though.

8. :4megaman: - A cool addition and one that makes my best friend extremely excited. I won't be playing him much, but he gets high marks for my friend.

7. :4pacman: - Great to see the ol' guy join the fray, and I'm sure he'll be pretty fun. Not main material for me, though.

6. :4lucina: - I'm always up for more characters, and I think Lucina's status as a Marth clone works well. She'll be a fun character.

5. :4littlemac:- Ah, the little boxer. Though I do enjoy a character with a solid airgame, Mac looks to be a fun and powerful character.

4. :4palutena:- I loved her in KI:U, and I was pretty excited to see her make the cut. Her powers are gonna be fun to use, but probably difficult to master.

3. :4robinm:- I love his playstyle, and if Isaac doesn't make the cut, then Robin will be a decent substitute for my Adept.

2. :4greninja: - I adore Pokémon, and I also love me some water starters. Greninja getting his own spot on the roster is awesome, and I can't wait to use him.

1. :rosalina: - She is probably the most unique in this batch of newcomers (which is high praise considering the amount of variety we've gotten), and I love her elegance and playstyle. I used her at the BestBuy SmashFest, and I can't wait to do so again.

Niala

Smash Ace

(Why WFT is #11)

(Why Pac-Man is #10)

Thanks!
I'll participate, although I think I did this a couple days ago in another thread...

Ah yes, here: http://smashboards.com/threads/rank-the-newcomers.362456/#post-17158352 People didn't post their reasons in that thread (well I suppose some did) but it has some rankings for you if you want.

So this was my list:
1.:4robinm: Avatar character from an excellent series, potentially my favourite gaming series in existence. The thing that sold the #1 was that he looks awesome as a fighter, too.
2.:4palutena: We just discussed this yesterday, but I'll reiterate. Palutena was a great character from Uprising, and I thought the presentation of that game was impeccable. Her character was interesting, and I really like her implementation.
3.:rosalina: Nothing much to say other than she deserved the spot and looks really fun to play. Puppeteers are neat.
4.:4littlemac: Again, looks really fun to play, and deserved the spot on the roster.
5.:4wiifit: Probably one of the few people who puts WFT pretty high on their list. I think her quirky, zany approach to fighting is entertaining, and I think she looks fun to play. I'm also a bit biased, as I do yoga, so having a yoga-based moveset is funny and has more clarity to me than people who don't.
6.:4villager: A bit of a toss-up for me, the Villager sparked some immediate interest but has dwindled a lot since his unveiling. Partially because he's been revealed for so long, but still looks fun.
7.:4megaman: If this were a list of "who looks the most/least fun to play," and I weren't accounting for other merit, Mega Man would be #11 hands down. The only reason he made it this high is because the fan request was real.
8.:4mii: "Generic" is something I don't quite see yet. We have little to no coverage on Mii Fighters, and people are already saying that they're not fun and generic and shouldn't exist. They look ~fine~ to me.
9.:4greninja: A lot of people seem to think that Pokemon as a series has a wealth of theoretical characters to choose from-- I, as a matter of fact, disagree. Red was legit, and so was Pikachu. Other than that, I see no reason to support other Pokemon being in the game. (That being said, he at least looks fun unlike :4charizard:/:4lucario:)
10.:4lucina: Eh... Being a clone holds her back a lot, but her personality never shone much to me in Awakening compared to others, either. A mediocre pick.
11.:4pacman: Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Last edited:

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman

(Why WFT is #11)

(Why Pac-Man is #10)

Thanks!
Oh god this is going to be difficult.

11. :4mii: Mii Fighter
In terms of interesting movesets, Mii Fighters look sadly generic. Customization isn't a big deal to me so I have very little interest in these guys. They look generic but fun. Eh.

10. :4palutena:Palutena
I have such torn feelings on this character, but I couldn't get any sense of how she'll actually play from her trailer. Because of this I'm less interested as again, customization doesn't interest me much.

9. :4lucina:Lucina
I love Lucina in Fire Emblem. I thought she was an awesome character with an interesting storyline. But in Smash, I'm only mildly interested in playing her, to see how she differs from Marth. A character I'm really looking forward to playing... eventually. Once I've gotten other characters out of the way.

8. :4littlemac:Little Mac
God this guy's trailer was awesome. That being said, I've always had a hard time with characters that have a bad aerial game, so while I'm really excited to try him once, I can't see him becoming a mainstay. He and Lucina are pretty much equal in my mind; Lucina I could see lasting me longer but Little Mac is more exciting right now.

7. :4greninja:Greninja
I have no idea how to feel about Greninja, but I'm not a huge fan; for some reason I've never really liked playing pokemon in Smash, other than Brawl Minus Lucario. Greninja looks cool and all, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm also annoyed that he caused such debates on the fates of Mewtwo and Jiggs.

6.:4pacman:Pac-man
We haven't seen enough for me to comfortably say what I think of him, but he could potentially be either really cool or really lame. Not sure which it'll be, so I'll put him near the middle.

5. :rosalina:Rosalina & Luma
I was initially really excited about playing this chick; her puppet master mechanic looked like an absolute TON of fun. But her actual core kit seems too similar to Zelda in many cases, and watching her it felt like she didn't actually NEED Luma, which I have mixed feelings on.

4. :4megaman:Megaman
The super fighting robot! His massive game of keep away looks like it'll be quite a bit of fun, but I'm worried that he's going to be too annoying to fight. If I'm significantly better than my opponent I want to use flashy characters to win, and Megaman definitely lacks that. In serious battles I'll be interested to see how he does.

3.:4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer
I tried to organize this list predicated on who I was most anxious to try. I can't tell you why, because there is no logical reason, but I am really excited to try Ms. Fit. I thought it was a dumb idea initially, and... honestly I still think it's kind of silly, but I still want it. I don't understand.

2. :4villager: Villager
Villager's bizarre, quirky moveset really appeals, and I can't wait to try to put it all together to get a valid and powerful character out of it. I feel like he's going to need a lot of thought and strategy, along with a good sense of pacing, and his movement looks really good.

1. :4robinm: Robin
The Mage archetype is my favourite archetype in games and stories, and Robin fulfills it perfectly. I love everything about this guy; his appearance and design, his moveset, his potential gimmicks... I've never been so hyped for a newcomer before, and that's why he's my number one.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Wouldn't be surprised at all if at the end of the HW direct they were like "oh ya, btw, heres Ganondorf." No gameplay, nothing. Then he appears in the PotD with some pictures and stuff.

But there probably wont be anything. HW direct is pretty hype for me anyways.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader

(Why WFT is #11)

(Why Pac-Man is #10)

Thanks!
Heres my contribution:

1. Megaman: Its just mindblowing, after all the abuse from Capcom, that he just pops up, in the very first trailer, treated with all the respect he deserves. I love the blue bomber, so seeing him nearly gave me a heart attack. Plus, unique fighting style and all. Very excited to try him out.

2. Lil Mac: Long time coming if you ask me. Love the character, love the idea of playing as him, and he was pretty much created for this role being a boxer and all.

3. Greninja: More ninjas is never a bad thing. One of the better Y/X Pokemon, pretty much that generations Mewtwo. Moveset looks legit, should be fun.

4. Villager: I rather would have had Tom Nook if I'd be honest, but its still a nice addition. His moveset looks fun as hell, and the fact that he can store just about anything in his pocket for later use, including friggin summons (like the one used by Zelda) cemented my love for this character.

5. Rosalina: She is just blue Peach appearance wise, so she aint doing much for me there. But, the fact that she is essentially a stand user gameplay-wise makes me excited to play as her.

6. Robin: Not much history with the character, but he looks like he has a lot of cool mechanics up his sleeves with the tomes and limited-use sword.

7. Wii Fit Trainer: Just out of nowhere bizzare character. At first I wasnt happy with her at all, but she grew on me after more depth of her moveset was revealed.

8. Palutena: Literally know nothing about her other than being from Uprising, but she still looks somewhat fun to play around with. Not terribly excited but she looks alright.

9. Lucina: I like her design, and the fact she can put on a mask whenever she pleases, but being another Marth clone only WITHOUT fire or something more substantial than ,,what part of sword does most damage'' to tell them apart seems like a waste, really wished she had an original moveset. I hope that at least they will set her specials to have different default properties than Marth's.

10. Pac-Man: This game's G&W/ROB I feel, a classic beyond classics. That being said, not very keen on 3rd party characters with loose history with Nintendo (Snake Im looking at ya), and his moveset, while it looks ok and will certainly be fun to use, isnt terribly inspiring if you know what I mean.

11. Mii Fighters: I dunno, the idea of having an essentially create-a-character for me always seemed to devalue a fighting game's roster, but in this case its more acceptable since it is technicaly a ,,character'' I guess. Had that exact same problem when I jumped into Soul Calibur with 3, when I wouldnt like how most of the cast looks and just create stuff I like instead, and that carried over to SC4 and so on. Plus they just look off, I dunno. Will still try to play around with them though, since I like experimenting with these types of things.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

(Why WFT is #11)

(Why Pac-Man is #10)

Thanks!
Here are my rankings...

1. :rosalina:
Out of all the confirmed newcomers, Rosalina has basically been the character who gave me the biggest hype. I've often thought that Rosalina could be a unique fighter, and the inclusion of the Luma adds to her uniqueness. I'll probably have a lot of fun utilizing Rosalina, and her puppeteer elements.

2. :4littlemac:
Another character that I've had hopes of seeing playable. Of course, Little Mac hasn't interested me as much as Rosalina, especially considering how he's only good while on the ground.

3. :4megaman:
Having a lot of weaponry in his arsenal could be quite an amusing way to fight. But since I've never really played any Mega Man titles, I can't really say much else.

4. :4palutena:
Palutena has been on my support list, and she does appear to be a very gimmicky type of fighter, based on the trailer footage. Hard to say how I feel about her moveset right now though.

5. :4robinm:
A swordsman, and a spellcaster? Robin looks to be quite interesting with those tomes of his. However, I've never really been a Fire Emblem fan, so I don't have much of an opinion on this.

6. :4greninja:
Probably one of the oddest newcomers out there. I never expected Greninja to be playable at all, but its ninja-like abilities seem rather interesting.

7. :4pacman:
Having another classic character around never hurts, though I don't really have much to bring up for Pac-Man.

8. :4villager:
I never did get into Animal Crossing very much, but I guess if you need an Animal Crossing rep, the Villager is here for you.

9. :4mii:
You can customize the Miis, but apart from that, there really isn't much else about them that's considered unique.

10. :4lucina:
It's the return of the clones with Lucina. She never had my interest at all, though I guess having a balanced sword can make things easier for those who can't handle Marth.

Another very odd inclusion in my book. Can't really say much about the Wii Fit Trainer, since she just never caught my interest in any way.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
11. :4lucina: Yeah...not too keen of girl-Marth over here being void of anything unique besides not having a tipper on her sword.
10. :4wiifit: At first she seemed unique and off the wall, but the more I look at her moveset, it just seems generic and more like a newcomer being chosen just for the sake of showing off Sakurai's quirkiness
9. :4mii: Not being usable online? Check. Having, not one, not two, but three bland movesets? Check. I only like these for the fact that a few inside jokes among my friends will be made.
8. :4palutena: Ehh...something about her moveset just screams we couldn't think of anything special for her so let's give her a few WACKY Special Moves and a WACKY Up Smash!
7. :rosalina: Don't really appreciate her being shoved in every game with Mario in it despite her only having a sob story as a motivator to being a major Mario character, but her playstyle is really unique I'll give her that.
6. :4megaman: His Moveset is absolutely fanservicey and his Final Smash is absolutely amazing! Love this guy so much but I love the other 5 a bit more.
5. :4robinm: Robin gave us all things we wanted, a FE representative that uses something other than a sword, and that thing is magic tomes! Really cool character.
4. :4pacman: Pac-Man was my childhood so all these old-school throwbacks are awesome! His moveset looks super fun and he fits right in as the best Namco representative! The Gaming Giant himself being in Smash is already mindblowing as well!
3. :4villager: Villager is super fun, his moveset is troll-y and quirky and represents Animal Crossing as a whole! He fits right in with the cast and was arguably HAD to be in.
2. :4greninja: Greninja was a very lucky guess by Sakurai, it turned out to be arguably the most popular Kalos Pokemon, represents the competitive Pokemon community as he is a very strong Pokemon in the metagame and gave us more variety of Pokemon in Smash (basically SSB4 is not just Gen 1 Pokemon)
1. :4littlemac: Little Mac was the most essential newcomer, he represents one of Nintendo's biggest franchises in the West, is a super retro character that's been there since the arcade and NES days of Nintendo as well, and has super awesome gimmicks being the Power Meter and the Ground game> Air game approach. Everyone in the West loves Little Mac, and this shows Sakurai listens to Western fans just as much as Eastern fans!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'll bite.

1.:4robinm: It's not just how unique he looks, it's how interesting he looks. seriously, I'm the most hyped for this guy right here.
2.:4greninja: Honestly, it's mostly because I like down-to-earth characters. and by that I mean not like:4littlemac: but characters with very simple movesets. greninja fits right in to this category, and he looks awesome.
3.:4mii: Top hat? check. Blue suit? check. Professor Layton swordsman VS Phoenix Wright brawler. Things like this make me hyped. Now only if we could get some stuff that would look like Quote... (also playing as me would be pretty cool I guess.)
4.:4littlemac: He's different. I don't think we have ever had a ground heavy smash character to this extent. I like it.
5.:4wiifit: I really like WFT's moveset, especially the Deep Breathing special. It kinda reminds me of Lucas from Project M.
6.:4lucina: I don't mind marth clones, especially ones like Lucina.
7.:4megaman: it's nice to see megaman be in smash, but I don't exactly like his playstyle. I guess I'll have to try it out for sure.
8.:4villager:He doesn't really stand out IMO but looks fun to play as. too bad he doesn't hype me much.
9.:rosalina: She's unique, and will be fun to watch, as well as play against. I don't think I'll play as her much though.
10.:4palutena: I don't know what it is with her, but she REALLY doesn't stand out in my eyes.
11.:4pacman: better than I expected, but still, he isn't really anything to me, I probably will avoid playing as him for the most part. the 3DS stage he has is cool, while the Wii U one is the worst thing I've ever seen.

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
My tier list of newcomers

Godly tier

1.:4wiifit: Best character ever. Will have to fight my brother for the rights to use her though. Salute the sun!

Angelic tier

2. :4megaman: Glad he's in. Won't use him though because my brother-in-law has the rights to use him (he grew up on Megaman).

High tier (unorganized)

3-11. :4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::rosalina::4greninja::4littlemac::4lucina::4mii::4villager:

There is no low tier (at least so far).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

(Why WFT is #11)

(Why Pac-Man is #10)

Thanks!
11.) :4greninja:

This is the only newcomer so far that I actually dislike. My reasoning for this is that Smash is supposed to be a collection of Nintendo's biggest All-Stars. Greninja is a character who we only found out existed a few months before he was revealed for Smash. We didn't even know who he was prior to the release of X and Y, and he has yet to be portrayed as a significant Pokemon in any form outside of his inclusion in Smash. Basically, I don't think he can be called an "All-Star" at this point.

10.) :4wiifit:

Note: I actually like all the characters from this point forward.

While I don't dislike Wii Fit Trainer by any means, she's not a character I really care about. Though I do think her inclusion makes sense and is rather humorous, so I'm fine with her.

9.) :4lucina:

Well, she's a clone who has the same basic appearance as the veteran Fire Emblem characters, so she's not particularly interesting. But we already got a totally unique Fire Emblem newcomer, and I do like Lucina as a character, so I think of her as a nice bonus. Kind of looking forward to playing as her.

8.) :4mii:

I always did think that the Miis would be good additions to the roster, so I'm happy to see them included. They do lose a few points for being basically three characters, but at the same time, a lot of their moves look like they're borrowed from other characters, so I guess that evens it out a bit.

7.) :4megaman:

One of the most logical choices for a third party newcomer. I think he's an excellent addition to the roster. However, I have no interest in him or his series whatsoever, so I can't rank him that high.

6.) :4pacman:

Basically the same as Mega Man; I think he's one of the most logical choices for a third party newcomer. He's such a gaming icon, and it's great to see a character like that fighting it out with some of the other big names in video game history. And unlike Mega Man, I have of course played Pac-Man a number of times in my life. Who hasn't, really?

5.) :4palutena:

Prior to her reveal, it was clear that a large number of people wanted to see her in, and since she made a lot of sense as a character choice, I was hoping that she would make it in for all those fans. I'm glad to see that she made it in. Also, her play style, while difficult to get a solid grasp of at the moment, looks like it might be something I would like. Perhaps I might move her up on the list if I ever do get Kid Icarus Uprising...

4.) :4littlemac:

For the longest time, I thought Little Mac was one of the most logical choices for a newcomer out there, and though I didn't have much interest in his series or his character, I supported him because I thought he would make an excellent addition to the roster. It seems I was right; Little Mac looks like he'll be a great character, and already it seems like people are very satisfied with his inclusion. It's great to have him in.

3.) :4villager:

I suppose this is where my choices get more personal.

I love the Animal Crossing series, ever since I got the Gamecube version as a child. Though after Sakurai made it clear that he didn't want to include an Animal Crossing character in Smash, I thought it would be impossible for one to ever get in. And then the Villager gets in. It's wonderful to see that series represented in Smash, and Villager looks like a great character to represent it. Not to mention he/she looks incredibly fun to play as.

2.) :rosalina:

Rosalina doesn't seem to be that popular of a Smash character, now does she? In my case, she's my second favorite newcomer. Prior to her reveal, I was only casually following Smash news and updates. After E3, there hadn't been any major announcements, so my interest in the game was dying down slightly. As a result, I was also unaware of the Nintendo Direct that happened in December. So I was quite surprised to go on the site one morning and find out that one of my all-time favorite Mario characters was now a Smash character. Her reveal got me incredibly hyped for the game, enough so that I decided to join Smashboards and participate in the speculating community. I have Rosalina to thank for bringing me here.

1.) :4robinm:

Words cannot describe this one properly.

But to put it simply, before Robin was revealed, everyone believed that the Gematsu leak was absolute gospel. Everyone believed that Chrom was a shoo-in. Everyone said that Robin was impossible, wake up and face reality, you're totally in denial, how can you not understand that?

It was an incredible moment when Robin was finally revealed and proved to everyone that anything can change.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Believe it or not, idiots on Miiverse are thinking that today's Pic of the Day confirms N Harmonia as a fighter. As a fellow N supporter myself, there's no way in hell that Sakurai would waste his time adding a human fighter from the Pokemon universe (especially after Pokemon Trainer died). Plus, Mewtwo is miles more deserving than a one-gen character like him.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
11.) :4greninja:

This is the only newcomer so far that I actually dislike. My reasoning for this is that Smash is supposed to be a collection of Nintendo's biggest All-Stars. Greninja is a character who we only found out existed a few months before he was revealed for Smash. We didn't even know who he was prior to the release of X and Y, and he has yet to be portrayed as a significant Pokemon in any form outside of his inclusion in Smash. Basically, I don't think he can be called an "All-Star" at this point.

10.) :4wiifit:

Note: I actually like all the characters from this point forward.

While I don't dislike Wii Fit Trainer by any means, she's not a character I really care about. Though I do think her inclusion makes sense and is rather humorous, so I'm fine with her.

9.) :4lucina:

Well, she's a clone who has the same basic appearance as the veteran Fire Emblem characters, so she's not particularly interesting. But we already got a totally unique Fire Emblem newcomer, and I do like Lucina as a character, so I think of her as a nice bonus. Kind of looking forward to playing as her.

8.) :4mii:

I always did think that the Miis would be good additions to the roster, so I'm happy to see them included. They do lose a few points for being basically three characters, but at the same time, a lot of their moves look like they're borrowed from other characters, so I guess that evens it out a bit.

7.) :4megaman:

One of the most logical choices for a third party newcomer. I think he's an excellent addition to the roster. However, I have no interest in him or his series whatsoever, so I can't rank him that high.

6.) :4pacman:

Basically the same as Mega Man; I think he's one of the most logical choices for a third party newcomer. He's such a gaming icon, and it's great to see a character like that fighting it out with some of the other big names in video game history. And unlike Mega Man, I have of course played Pac-Man a number of times in my life. Who hasn't, really?

5.) :4palutena:

Prior to her reveal, it was clear that a large number of people wanted to see her in, and since she made a lot of sense as a character choice, I was hoping that she would make it in for all those fans. I'm glad to see that she made it in. Also, her play style, while difficult to get a solid grasp of at the moment, looks like it might be something I would like. Perhaps I might move her up on the list if I ever do get Kid Icarus Uprising...

4.) :4littlemac:

For the longest time, I thought Little Mac was one of the most logical choices for a newcomer out there, and though I didn't have much interest in his series or his character, I supported him because I thought he would make an excellent addition to the roster. It seems I was right; Little Mac looks like he'll be a great character, and already it seems like people are very satisfied with his inclusion. It's great to have him in.

3.) :4villager:

I suppose this is where my choices get more personal.

I love the Animal Crossing series, ever since I got the Gamecube version as a child. Though after Sakurai made it clear that he didn't want to include an Animal Crossing character in Smash, I thought it would be impossible for one to ever get in. And then the Villager gets in. It's wonderful to see that series represented in Smash, and Villager looks like a great character to represent it. Not to mention he/she looks incredibly fun to play as.

2.) :rosalina:

Rosalina doesn't seem to be that popular of a Smash character, now does she? In my case, she's my second favorite newcomer. Prior to her reveal, I was only casually following Smash news and updates. After E3, there hadn't been any major announcements, so my interest in the game was dying down slightly. As a result, I was also unaware of the Nintendo Direct that happened in December. So I was quite surprised to go on the site one morning and find out that one of my all-time favorite Mario characters was now a Smash character. Her reveal got me incredibly hyped for the game, enough so that I decided to join Smashboards and participate in the speculating community. I have Rosalina to thank for bringing me here.

1.) :4robinm:

Words cannot describe this one properly.

But to put it simply, before Robin was revealed, everyone believed that the Gematsu leak was absolute gospel. Everyone believed that Chrom was a shoo-in. Everyone said that Robin was impossible, wake up and face reality, you're totally in denial, how can you not understand that?

It was an incredible moment when Robin was finally revealed and proved to everyone that anything can change.
really hates Greninja cause he's too new, but has Robin at #1 despite him being only half a year earlier than Greninja.

I'm calling double standards here, False Sense. :p

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
really hates Greninja cause he's too new, but has Robin at #1 despite him being only half a year earlier than Greninja.

I'm calling double standards here, False Sense. :p
More like a year and a half.

I think that time is significant.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And the sky is blue. (not trying to be mean to anyone, but God damn, Miiverse sure is a very ,,special'' place)
Yeah, like Sakurai would totally add a one-shot human character as the 6th Pokemon rep over someone more iconic like a Pokemon Trainer. N their Harmonial dreams. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom