• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Are there seriously any other viable alternatives to the existing Zelda besides Toon Zelda?
There is Skyward Sword Zelda, but if you're talking about an alternative Zelda that is actually likely to have an alternative playstyle to decent degree and actually has a chance without being an alternative costume, then Toon Zelly is the best bet I'd say.....

And then there is Tetra if you count her.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
1.:4greninja: Great design, great moveset potential and from what I played at Best Buy, he's a very fun character to play as. He was my starter in Y version and gets and amazing competitive ability. Was very excited to see his trailer
2.:4robinm::4robinf: The only fire emblem game that I have played is awakening and Robin was my favorite character in that game. He/she is looking to have a very interesting moveset and I can't wait to learn how it works. Plus he can shoot lazarz.
3.:4littlemac: Couldn't care less about this guy until I saw him in action, he looks to be amazingly fun to play as and he has become one of the characters that I am looking forward to playing the most.
4.:4lucina: As stated before awakening is the only FE game that I've played. Despite being a cloneI was very happy at her inclusion. She was also my waifu.
5. :4palutena: I like Palutena because she resembles Mion from Higurashi.
6.:4villager: Didn't like him before I saw his moves. Like him now though. He's very different.

7.:4wiifit: She's a weird choice and I like that.
8.:rosalina: Never really liked this character and that still holds true, she's very similar to Peach in my eyes. At least they aren't similar in move-sets though.
9.:4pacman: He uses his enemies to attack you. I don't like this very much. That would be like sonic slapping you with Robotnik for one of his moves. Blehh!!!
10.:4mii: It's cool that Sakurai managed to make these guys look interesting but honestly, I would've liked the development time to have gone elsewhere.
11.:4megaman: Never even seen one of his games being payed before. Not familiar with him in the slightest and his moves don't match my play style. But hey, other people seem to like him so more power to yah!

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
There is Skyward Sword Zelda, but if you're talking about an alternative Zelda that is actually likely to have an alternative playstyle to decent degree and actually has a chance without being an alternative costume, then Toon Zelly is the best bet I'd say.....
I heard there was a proposed Skyward Sword alt in store for Zelda. I would love that. As a clone character, yeah I guess you could go that route, though I'd much rather see her as an alt in the event that the differences between the two would be minimal.

*Gasp*
How could I forget?

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
To be fair, Lucas only got in because he planned to replace Ness with Lucas in Melee. When that didn't work out, he just brought Ness back for the next game and also added Lucas as well.
Right, but that didn't stop people from complaining.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Somebody asked who everyone's most wanted remaining newcomer was, but how about vets?

Who everyone's most anticipated veteran?
Mewtwo counts, though other answers are encouraged.
Ganondorf, I think. Even if he still has the same basic moveset from Brawl, I'm excited to see how he looks and feels in the new games. Hopefully he won't feel so heavy this time around, but even if he's just an HD version of Brawl, I'll still be happy to welcome him back.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I heard there was a proposed Skyward Sword alt in store for Zelda. I would love that. As a clone character, yeah I guess you could go that route, though I'd much rather see her as an alt in the event that the differences between the two would be minimal.
I'd love to see SS Zelda as an alt for Zelda. Not sure Toon Zelda would work as an alt for Zelda though, especially after Sakurai's comment on how he handles alternate costumes and separate characters. She has.... quite the height difference after all.....

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Somebody asked who everyone's most wanted remaining newcomer was, but how about vets?

Mewtwo and Falco out of who I think has a chance.
I wanted Roy, Young Link, and Doc. But I don't think they are happening.

Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Game and Watch are up on my vets list too.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Mewtwo. I want him in more than any other veteran or newcomer.

But since that answer is somewhat typical, I suppose I'm looking forward to seeing Ganondorf back. I'm hoping he'll be revamped this time around, or at least be made less of a clone. Not to mention his reveal would finally put an end to all those people saying he'll be replaced by Ghirahim...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I do quite wish we get to see :metaknight::wario::popo: soon..... It's a bit surprising we haven't seen them yet.....

Then again..... I suppose each of them probably have their own little problems that might have been holding them out a bit but surely that would have all been resolved by now.... Guess we should just continue playing the waiting game for when Sakurai is ready to show them.....

Or they may be a part of a trailer like Captain Falcon and Charizard....

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My most wanted veterans:

:pt:::confused:
:zerosuitsamus:::chuckle:
:sonic:::chuckle:
:falcon:::chuckle:
:rob:::confused:

But if Pokemon Trainer is to return, he'll most likely return solo. Because transformations are out.
Wouldn't really mind if Ivysaur and Squirtle become part of his moveset. Along with Pichu and Mewtwo somehow.

Last edited:

Daniee

Smash Cadet
11. :4palutena:
I played KI:U and I didn't find it to be all that good. I don't have a very good idea of how she'll play, but it seems like she's a projectile-based character, which isn't my thing. And lastly, I don't like the blatant favoritism in giving her 12 unique specials when that would make more sense for a character like Mega Man. Some of her attacks are flashy and cool-looking, but that's really all I got to say positive-wise.

10. :4wiifit:
Oddly enough, I don't really have any strong feelings on WFT at the moment. I think they're a clever addition and I like their fitness-based attacks, but the moveset doesn't really scream at me. But who knows, I may end up enjoying them more than I expect.

9. :4megaman:
Prior to his reveal, Mega Man wasn't a character I had much interest in seeing in Smash, mainly because I've found him to be a boring character in every fighting games he's been in, and I assumed they would go with his pretty unappealing anime-esque design. I love that they decided to base his look off of his NES sprites, but he still doesn't look like a character I'd really enjoy playing, as projectile-based characters are, again, not my cup of tea. I'm also much more a fan of Zero.

8. :rosalina:
Rosalina isn't one of my favorite Mario characters, but I like what she brings to the game and that she's pretty much a representative of the Mario Galaxy games, which I think are some of the best damn games ever made.

7. :4pacman:
They really nailed his character, but I'm really curious about his moveset. I can see myself either loving it or hating it.

6. :4villager:
I've always been a moderate fan of the Animal Crossing games, and in retrospect, not having a character from them in Brawl I think was a mistake. The character has a goofy moveset and I think they just have a lot of charm overall.

5. :4mii:
The Brawler type looks fun, I like the thought of bringing the Mii I've been using in other games into Smash, and I can imagine just losing myself in all the customization options.

4. :4lucina:
It's hard to get all that excited over a character that's a clone of someone we've had since Melee, but even still, I'm pretty thrilled for her inclusion, mainly because she was my favorite character in Awakening. I've always found Marth to be pretty fun but never had much attachment to him as a character. I wish she wasn't such a 1:1 clone, but she most likely wouldn't have been in the game at all if she wasn't, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

3. :4greninja:
Well, we've already got my Pokémon bias to start with, but what makes Greninja extra special for me is that choosing the Water type starter in the Pokémon games has been a tradition for me ever since Gold & Silver, so I love seeing one of them in the game. Greninja itself also just oozes coolness, and its inclusion came as a huge surprise to me, as I thought X & Y were too recent to receive a playable character (clearly I underestimated Sakurai's willingness to include a character just based on concept art). My only worry is that its attacks won't be powerful enough for me.

2. :4littlemac:
Mac was one of my most wanted newcomers and I love playing hard-hitting characters. I especially have a soft spot for any character with a really powerful punch attack, as I always find them to be pure hype. I do like to jump a lot however so I'll have to get used to only doing that when I have to when playing him.

1. :4robinm::4robinf:
I'm an FE fan and ever since I finished Awakening, I was a big proponent of Marth/Ike/Robin as the FE representatives, and after what Sakurai said at E3 2013 about looking for unique characters, I honestly thought it was a real possibility. But as time went on and the Gematsu leak kept being right again and again, I eventually resigned myself to us getting Chrom. When Robin was revealed, I was kind of in a state of disbelief for a little bit, and man, it looks like they play pretty much exactly how I imagined they would (minus the weapons running out thing, which I think is a neat addition). Marth and Ike may be major characters in the franchise, but I feel Robin represents the series even better than they do due to being a tactician and being able to use tomes.

Morbi

Scavenger
11. :4palutena:
I played KI:U and I didn't find it to be all that good. I don't have a very good idea of how she'll play, but it seems like she's a projectile-based character, which isn't my thing. And lastly, I don't like the blatant favoritism in giving her 12 unique specials when that would make more sense for a character like Mega Man. Some of her attacks are flashy and cool-looking, but that's really all I got to say positive-wise.

10. :4wiifit:
Oddly enough, I don't really have any strong feelings on WFT at the moment. I think they're a clever addition and I like their fitness-based attacks, but the moveset doesn't really scream at me. But who knows, I may end up enjoying them more than I expect.

9. :4megaman:
Prior to his reveal, Mega Man wasn't a character I had much interest in seeing in Smash, mainly because I've found him to be a boring character in every fighting games he's been in, and I assumed they would go with his pretty unappealing anime-esque design. I love that they decided to base his look off of his NES sprites, but he still doesn't look like a character I'd really enjoy playing, as projectile-based characters are, again, not my cup of tea. I'm also much more a fan of Zero.

8. :rosalina:
Rosalina isn't one of my favorite Mario characters, but I like what she brings to the game and that she's pretty much a representative of the Mario Galaxy games, which I think are some of the best damn games ever made.

7. :4pacman:
They really nailed his character, but I'm really curious about his moveset. I can see myself either loving it or hating it.

6. :4villager:
I've always been a moderate fan of the Animal Crossing games, and in retrospect, not having a character from them in Brawl I think was a mistake. The character has a goofy moveset and I think they just have a lot of charm overall.

5. :4mii:
The Brawler type looks fun, I like the thought of bringing the Mii I've been using in other games into Smash, and I can imagine just losing myself in all the customization options.

4. :4lucina:
It's hard to get all that excited over a character that's a clone of someone we've had since Melee, but even still, I'm pretty thrilled for her inclusion, mainly because she was my favorite character in Awakening. I've always found Marth to be pretty fun but never had much attachment to him as a character. I wish she wasn't such a 1:1 clone, but she most likely wouldn't have been in the game at all if she wasn't, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

3. :4greninja:
Well, we've already got my Pokémon bias to start with, but what makes Greninja extra special for me is that choosing the Water type starter in the Pokémon games has been a tradition for me ever since Gold & Silver, so I love seeing one of them in the game. Greninja itself also just oozes coolness, and its inclusion came as a huge surprise to me, as I thought X & Y were too recent to receive a playable character (clearly I underestimated Sakurai's willingness to include a character just based on concept art). My only worry is that its attacks won't be powerful enough for me.

2. :4littlemac:
Mac was one of my most wanted newcomers and I love playing hard-hitting characters. I especially have a soft spot for any character with a really powerful punch attack, as I always find them to be pure hype. I do like to jump a lot however so I'll have to get used to only doing that when I have to when playing him.

1. :4robinm::4robinf:
I'm an FE fan and ever since I finished Awakening, I was a big proponent of Marth/Ike/Robin as the FE representatives, and after what Sakurai said at E3 2013 about looking for unique characters, I honestly thought it was a real possibility. But as time went on and the Gematsu leak kept being right again and again, I eventually resigned myself to us getting Chrom. When Robin was revealed, I was kind of in a state of disbelief for a little bit, and man, it looks like they play pretty much exactly how I imagined they would (minus the weapons running out thing, which I think is a neat addition). Marth and Ike may be major characters in the franchise, but I feel Robin represents the series even better than they do due to being a tactician and being able to use tomes.
Blatant favoritism because he gave her unique specials?! I cannot wait to see your reaction when Dark PIt and Hades are confirmed. :troll:

Do not forget about Waddle Dee and his 12 unique specials either. :troll:

D

Deleted member

This just came in from Famitsu

Pac-Man's shoes appear to be different.......Ghostly Adventures?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I honestly don't care that much about the roster, but there's 2 vets I want particularly to return (one is pretty much almost confirmed, but anyway).

2 Mewtwo.

I don't know anything about competitive so I was surprised that people didn't like him in melee while I liked him. I guess I need to know competitive to understand, but even then, I like the character. Since I'm convinced that the SSE issues got fixed, I think this is his chance now and that would be

1 Mr Game & Watch

As you can tell, he's my main as of now. Because I suppose it will change if my most wanted is confirmed, but he'll be a secondary main in that case so, still a main. If you're wondering, it's not because 2D that I like both him and Paper Mario, but how game & watch moves seems to be silly and "out of there" in a good way (think about pacman). I found his moves original considering when they came from. Paper Mario has also to do with the design overall and it just turns out that most of characteristics is matching with my tastes. Tough, I do admit that 2D add somehow something unique, but it's not the core reason. 2D makes color more unified and bright which is what I like the most in design.

After, I don't really care that much. maybe roy, but honestly, that is only because fire so it's not a big deal.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Well it seems some people seems to interprete Palutena's 12 specials as favouritism I have to disagree with that notion it is just that people tent to forget about characters status and only see movesets, Palutena is a goddess if you go and read about gods in different cultures and religions, most of the gods are beings beyond human imagination, with a pletora of powers and abilities no mortal being can do, obviously Sakurai isn't going to represent Palutena as an omnipotent unbeatable character, because that would be unbalanced for the game, yet putting her 12 specials is a way to still represent that side of Palutena as a goddess, I have said this in other places before but "powers" are known as "miracles" in the japanise version and are even called that way in the very first trailer for the international release.

I still laugh at the counter arguments some people gave to make her unlikely, some of my personal favorites:

"Pit needs Palutena to guide him and give him the power of flight, because of that she can't fight"
"Palutena is a goddess if she joins she would be overpowered" And just in case someone tries to imply this, please the game isn't even out and Palutena hasn't been in any demo, so calling her overpowered because of a trailer designed to make her look strong lacks any credibility.

Now jumping on this veteran list I would say.

1.- :4yoshi: Favorite character since Yoshi's Island SNES, that game was epic also my main in Melee and Brawl, I was 100% sure he will return this time around so I haven't even shown my face on the Yoshi thread
2.- :4kirby: Main in 64 and 2nd in both Melee and Brawl, I don't care about tiers list I have managed to bet worthy oponents with both Yoshi and Kirby.

3.- Mmmmm every other veteran already confirmed yes I like every character, hope more people could really apreciate any character they get

Still to appear
1.- :popo:
2.-:metaknight:
3.-:ganondorf:
4.-:ness2:
5.-:jigglypuff:

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
My most wanted veterans before speculation were as follows

5. :zerosuitsamus::4zss:
4. :ness2:
3. :mewtwopm:
2. :sonic::4sonic:
1. :yoshi2::4yoshi:

But now it's this

5. :ganondorf:
4. :gw:
3. :warioc:
2. :ness2:
1. :mewtwopm:
Pre-E3 2013:

5.:warioc:
4.:falcon:
3.:samus2:
2.:ike:
1.:metaknight:

Now:

5.:warioc:
4.:ganondorf:
3.:ivysaur:(if only)
2.:jigglypuff:
1.:metaknight:

A lot has changed for me on the veteran front while waiting for Smash 4, most notably my love for Jigglypuff returned. Ganondorf is mostly so high only because I'm excited to see if they have changed him up, and most important how they've done it in that case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom