• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Mewtwo was cut because of time constraints. It sucked, sure. But Smash 4 looks a lot more timely.

Regardless, this is my roster.

View attachment 19228

It's the same as last time but Takamaru takes the place of Wrestler & Reporter.
This is working with the 54-character theory.
Your roster is just one point away from being perfect. The only thing I disagree with is Ghirahim... Instead of Ghirahim, I would put in Impa. Ghirahim would definitely be an interesting addition to the roster, but... I want my Impa. ;)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I am officially on the "no character reveal at SDCC" train now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran soon, hell, maybe Sakurai will even do another count down for Monday, but I don't truthfully think we'll get anyone until at least next Friday.

(Would love to be wrong though.)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I understand that, but I highly doubt that a Rhythm Heaven enemy as obscure as Sneaky Spirit will go without playable representation.

I know you've heard this a million times already but I really can't stress enough how significant this is. Sneaky Spirit appears in one insignificant minigame. If Rhythm Heaven wasn't getting a character I would argue that they would have absolutely no enemies in Smash Run. And quite frankly their one enemy is more than Star Fox and Fire Emblem has currently. None of those series, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, or Rhythm Heaven, have stand out enemies iconic enough to add into Smash Run. But strangely enough it's Rhythm Heaven that gets an enemy. Of course I think we'll get some sort of Star Fox and Fire Emblem representation in Smash Run, but it's at least worth noting that Sneaky Spirit was never an obvious choice.
I've heard that a million times and I'm still not convinced, sorry.

I removed the Rhythm Heaven character because I just didn't see the appeal considering they have so little moves.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Pig Ganon > Any one-shot Zelda villain that will be forgotten in five years.

Battle lines drawn.
Not interested in letting people provoke me into arguing because they told me my most wanted character was a worthless addition, sorry.
You can try someone else, though.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Not interested in letting people provoke me into arguing over my wanted characters, sorry.
You can try someone else, though.
Ugh, I have nothing else to do at work at the moment. Can you suggest anyone with a more inflammatory temperament?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Speaking of Ghirahim, a new trailer came out for Hyrule Warriors showing him for a few seconds...
Interestingly, he kept his VA from Skyward Sword...

Only Link, Zelda, and Impa reuse VA's from previous games...except for Ghirahim.
I wonder why, hm...

Perhaps they were planning on re-using him after all if they wanted to keep him consistent...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Here's a topic.... new franchise reps vs. established rep newcomers. I just brought this up in the Isaac thread.

A lot of rosters seem to prioritize things like a 5th Zelda rep or a 4th Star Fox rep. While I don't have a problem with either of those things (and would welcome them, really), it makes me sad seeing that constantly instead of characters like Lip or Isaac. The thing about new franchise reps is that they bring SO much to the table. A new stage, new music, new items and assist trophies. Yes it is possible to get some of those things with out an actual rep for the series, but having a rep almost guarantees that.

Take Shulk for example. If Shulk doesn't make it in, he might be an assist trophy. That would be alright.

If Shulk does make it in, we might get someone like RIki as an assist trophy. That would be awesome.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I've been thinking of a reworked Ganondorf. And though unoriginal, I'd like to see a non-Falcondorf take inspiration from these Zelda antagonists.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I see the appeal in a Rhythm Heaven rep, particularly the Kids, but to each his own. Im still in the Chorus Kid bandwagon. I think the Sneaky Spirit has some merit.

I honestly feel like we're getting a veteran tomorrow. I dont know why, but I do.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If Ganondorf gets a new move set we would have to give the Falcondorf move set to someone else. I vote for another villain from a completely unrelated series to F-Zero. Got to keep the tradition a live.

(I'll go with Hades.)

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Well, his Pokemon haven't been disconfirmed.

We could still get Ivysaur (or have Venusaur to replace him)
I wouldn't bet on him or Squirtle, but we don't know if they're out yet.
That would be dandy and all, but I really liked switching Pokémon during a match. I mean, it's not the end of the world or anything, but I liked the concept of a playable Pokémon Trainer. He just needed some buffs and fixes.

Well you can take some solace in the fact that it was supposedly a technical decision and not because he hated poor little red
I thought the reason transformations were gone was due to the fact that Sakurai wanted players to focus on one character or something like that. I know he said something similar in the Direct. You're right though, that doesn't necessarily mean he hated Red.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
That would be dandy and all, but I really liked switching Pokémon during a match. I mean, it's not the end of the world or anything, but I liked the concept of a playable Pokémon Trainer. He just needed some buffs and fixes.

I thought the reason transformations were gone was due to the fact that Sakurai wanted players to focus on one character or something like that. I know he said something similar in the Direct. You're right though, that doesn't necessarily mean he hated Red.
My least favorite decision for this game is the removal of transformations. And I'm obviously going to miss Pokemon Trainer.
But I've set my hopes on Sakurai considering Red as a solo playable character, without transformations. Only using 5 Pokemon from his personal roster to fight for him (as slow start-up disjointed attacks). And Mewtwo as his Final Smash. That would make up for it all, in my opinion.

Here's a topic.... new franchise reps vs. established rep newcomers. I just brought this up in the Isaac thread.

A lot of rosters seem to prioritize things like a 5th Zelda rep or a 4th Star Fox rep. While I don't have a problem with either of those things (and would welcome them, really), it makes me sad seeing that constantly instead of characters like Lip or Isaac. The thing about new franchise reps is that they bring SO much to the table. A new stage, new music, new items and assist trophies. Yes it is possible to get some of those things with out an actual rep for the series, but having a rep almost guarantees that.

Take Shulk for example. If Shulk doesn't make it in, he might be an assist trophy. That would be alright.

If Shulk does make it in, we might get someone like RIki as an assist trophy. That would be awesome.
I'm all up for new franchises VS filling up established ones. Brawl already maxed out what needed to max out imho. Metroid and DK is debatable. But MORE Mario/Zelda/Pokemon (Red is an exception as he was somewhat in Brawl) /Kirby/and especially FIRE EMBLEM, have more than enough characters. It's time to bring in more new blood. Animal Crossing, Wiifit, and Punch Out! are the only newcoming franchises we've seen so far, and that's kinda sad.

Ha, ha ha.

Oh my, you must be new here, sir...:bee:
(At least Impa has been in at least 3-4 different Zelda games, and now in Hyrule Warriors, and he/she obviously IS new)

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Mewtwo was cut because of time constraints. It sucked, sure. But Smash 4 looks a lot more timely.

View attachment 19228

I have a six step plan that'll make your roster of the best ones in existence right here, right now.

1. Cut Debbie. (LoZ's highest requested character is a non-Falcon Ganondorf, if we get anything beyond Ganondorf it'll likely be Ganon. Anybody else otherwise have a little to no chance, so I think dropping Debbie entirely is the best idea way to go with your roster).
2. Move Toon Link into Debbie's spot. (As I mentioned before, what the people seem to want the most is a decloned Ganondorf, rather than a completely new Zelda character. So it's perfectly viable to suggest we won't get more than five, I mean Mario probably won't get more than five either).
3. Place Takamaru under Toon Link. (Nazo no Murasame Jō and The Legend of Zelda are sister franchises and all, Takamaru being present under the LoZ franchise characters like Pit is under Samus. I mean just imagine if he makes it into hyrule warriors somehow like ojeez).
4. Add a Rhythm Heaven character of your choice. (Most likely character to be added to the roster at this point, like Louie said. Fun colorful cast of characters. Really open to your interpretation of who it could be since Chorus Kids are no longer, "the" choice. I hope you explain why you decided to axe out a Rhythm Heaven character specifically, because I am kinda curious as to why you would do that).
5. ???
6. Profit!

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

View attachment 19228

You should cut Ghirahim for Groose.:troll:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I stopped reading at the first point.
Seriously, asking me to cut Ghirahim from my roster is like asking me to punch myself in the face.
People have to cut their favorite characters all the time in their rosters if their going for likelyhood.
I only keep Muddy in mine because the forgotten Nintendo hero could really be anybody. So it's vague enough to where I do think it is a safe enough to put in somebody I think would work best. Rhythm Heaven's character is in an incredibly similar situation, since anything could change as time goes on (as Robin and Lucina showed) the Rhythm Heaven character could really be anyone still.

I mean I still want all of the characters in my signature, whether they're in my roster or not. But whether they're even likely is a completely different story. You don't see me put Layton or Quote, the characters I desperately want the most, in my rosters based on want alone. That is, unless you have an actual good reason to include Ghirahim on your roster aside from you wanting him the most.
I've heard that a million times and I'm still not convinced, sorry.

I removed the Rhythm Heaven character because I just didn't see the appeal considering they have so little moves.
As for this, I know of several characters that some thought had little potential as well.
:4littlemac: The man who can only punch.
:4mii: The bland sports moveset trio.
:4pacman: The unoriginal pizza.
:rosalina: Space Peach.

You're kinda cutting Rhythm Heaven the short end of the stick here if you really think the dev team couldn't work with such a blank slate. They've done a pretty great job with blank slates many times before:
:4falcon::4fox::4greninja::4pit::4zelda::popo::gw::rob:

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
GUYS.
PRETTY PICTURES.

The Knee and Lucina's Up Smash confirmed. Also the Green Hill Stage returning on the 3DS, but I still want to spread the news a bit. Look at Kirby's hat!

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I was debating wheather I should cut Vaati for Impa in my roster last night, then I figured I'd keep him because it would be very untraditional of me to not have him. I think I may be going insane just for considering cutting Vaati last night...:(

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
At the very least, I can confirm that that is indeed said in the eShop listing:

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

View attachment 19228

This roster is freaking great. 10/10 top tier roster would play. It's got almost everything I want.

Of course I would still get rid of Takamaru and replace him with Plasm Wraith since it's my token character but...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If we do get a new comer trailer soon, I can see Wario being part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom