• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Simon > Bomberman > Alucard > Snake > Raiden
I loved me some Bomberman Generations, but Simon has the best moveset potential: knives, axes, holy water, cross, whip, stopwatch and powerups to level II and III. He is also the most iconic and would obviously fit in a lot better with the rest of the confirmed third parties.
Fixed for realism.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Quick question, you guys!! I'm trying to create a 55-character roster plus the Random icon for 56 slots on the Wii U and 3DS versions. I already got the Wii U roster lined up perfectly for a 14x4 grid, but I'm struggling to make it work on an 8x7 grid based on what was shown in the demo.

My CSS on the Wii U looks something along the lines of this (and it matches up with the demo perfectly):

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, K. Rool, Samus, ZSS, Ridley, Captain Falcon
Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, Toon Link, Ghirahim, Villager, Ice Climbers, Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit, Dedede, Meta Knight, Kirby
Fox, Falco, Wolf, Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Shulk, Mewtwo, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Charizard, Pikachu
Ness, Lucas, Olimar, Little Mac, Chorus Kids, WFT, Game & Watch, ROB, 8-Bit Mario, Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mii, Random

See how each row on the Wii U roster has exactly 14 characters? And that the order of the characters shown in the demo are in their exact order or placement (I may have messed up a bit on Villager, but I do know he is next to the Kid Icarus characters)? Now, I am trying to transfer that number to an 8x7 grid on the 3DS based on the details shown in the demo, here:

Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Zelda
Sheik, Toon Link, Samus, Pit, Marth, Kirby
Little Mac, Fox, Pikachu, Greninja, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man, Sonic, Random

And I'm trying to expand that to an 8x7. So far, here's how I grouped each franchise in the order in which they popped up:

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina
Yoshi
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool
Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, Toon Link, Ghirahim
Samus, ZSS, Ridley
Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit
Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina
Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede
Little Mac
Fox, Falco, Wolf
Pikachu, Charizard, Greninja, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Mewtwo
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mii Fighters, Random

And here's the characters whose placement is a mystery: 8-Bit Mario, Wario, Chorus Kids, Ice Climbers, ROB, Olimar, Captain Falcon, Shulk, Ness, Lucas, and Mr. Game & Watch. It's just that the Zelda and DK franchises as well as Yoshi's placement that is giving me problems for an 8x7-style grid. Any ideas?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Quick question, you guys!! I'm trying to create a 55-character roster plus the Random icon for 56 slots on the Wii U and 3DS versions. I already got the Wii U roster lined up perfectly for a 14x4 grid, but I'm struggling to make it work on an 8x7 grid based on what was shown in the demo.

My CSS on the Wii U looks something along the lines of this (and it matches up with the demo perfectly):

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, K. Rool, Samus, ZSS, Ridley, Captain Falcon
Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, Toon Link, Ghirahim, Villager, Ice Climbers, Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit, Dedede, Meta Knight, Kirby
Fox, Falco, Wolf, Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Shulk, Mewtwo, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Charizard, Pikachu
Ness, Lucas, Olimar, Little Mac, Chorus Kids, WFT, Game & Watch, ROB, 8-Bit Mario, Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mii, Random

See how each row on the Wii U roster has exactly 14 characters? And that the order of the characters shown in the demo are in their exact order or placement (I may have messed up a bit on Villager, but I do know he is next to the Kid Icarus characters)? Now, I am trying to transfer that number to an 8x7 grid on the 3DS based on the details shown in the demo, here:

Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Zelda
Sheik, Toon Link, Samus, Pit, Marth, Kirby
Little Mac, Fox, Pikachu, Greninja, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man, Sonic, Random

And I'm trying to expand that to an 8x7. So far, here's how I grouped each franchise in the order in which they popped up:

Yoshi
Samus, ZSS, Ridley
Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit
Little Mac
Fox, Falco, Wolf
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer

And here's the characters whose placement is a mystery: 8-Bit Mario, Wario, Chorus Kids, Ice Climbers, ROB, Olimar, Captain Falcon, Shulk, Ness, Lucas, and Mr. Game & Watch. It's just that the Zelda and DK franchises as well as Yoshi's placement that is giving me problems for an 8x7-style grid. Any ideas?
Hmm, I would probably take Dark Pit, 8 Bit Mario, and Ghirahim off, then probably add Krystal, Paper Mario, and Toon Zelda, other than that it looks pretty decent.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hmm, I would probably take Dark Pit, 8 Bit Mario, and Ghirahim off, then probably add Krystal, Paper Mario, and Toon Zelda, other than that it looks pretty decent.
At first; I saw your avatar and I just assumed that you were Golden. Once you asserted that it was ideal to remove Dark Pit, I was slightly confused. :awesome:

He's had a couple year slump. It'd be in Konami's interest to let the White Bomber fight.
I have nothing against Bomberman, or Simon. I just fail to comprehend why Sakurai would remove Snake for another Konami representative.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I thought you were Golden until I read the username, o___o
Why is everyone thinking Toon Zelda is playable now?
She's a bad addition, she doesn't have a big fan base to make her a last-minute semi clone IMO.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I don't get how you can have Dark Pit who didn't have a banner on the roster when you don't have a 2nd F-Zero clone. F-Zero will get a clone to take on Ganondorf's move set before we get a new type of clone. Even Lucina is really an old clone, because we've had a Marth clone before.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Snake removed for another Konami character?
Could only be Naked Snake/Big Boss. :troll:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
That's funny. I have the same exact thoughts regarding Ghirahim...
Well is not that hard to understand

1- The trophy theory

2- Ghirahim have a big fanbase (bigger than Toon Zelda)

3- Unique character (not like Toon Zelda)

and now lets talk about Toon Zelda

1- She was planned for Brawl (that's a plus)

but.... Tetra was also planned for Brawl and she could be unique character, well... you get it :drifloon:

D

Deleted member

Not necessarily, a lot of people talk about how Simon Belmont fits the post as Konami's mascot rather than Snake. I don't want Snake cut from the game though, so I'm not going down that road.
And Sakurai doesn't give a **** what those people think, or Snake would have not been in Brawl.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, rather than treating this like a fan roster, how about assuming that it will be, indeed, the final roster, for the sake of the question at hand: How do I make an 8x7 CSS for the 3DS using these characters grouped by order of franchise placement (according to the demo):

Yoshi
Samus, ZSS, Ridley
Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit
Little Mac
Fox, Falco, Wolf
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer

While adding applying the following characters:

8-Bit Mario
Wario
Chorus Kids
Ice Climbers
ROB
Olimar
Captain Falcon
Shulk
Ness, Lucas
Mr. Game & Watch

I'm trying to find the right order to make it 8x7 that would look right on a 3DS screen, but I can't think of any ideas on how to make it work.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Well is not that hard to understand

1- The trophy theory

2- Ghirahim have a big fanbase (bigger than Toon Zelda)

3- Unique character (not like Toon Zelda)

and now lets talk about Toon Zelda

1- She was planned for Brawl (that's a plus)

but.... Tetra was also planned for Brawl and she could be unique character, well... you get it :drifloon:
Yes. I'm aware of all of the evidence people use to discern Ghirahim's likelihood as playable status. I follow the character threads quite closely, despite me not posting as much as others do. I feel people just overlook the negatives while ignoring the pluses of other potential Zelda characters all too often when trying to determine whether or not Ghirahim will make the roster.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Yes. I'm aware of all of the evidence people use to discern Ghirahim's likelihood as playable status. I follow the character threads quite closely, despite me not posting as much as others do. I feel people just overlook the negatives while ignoring the pluses of other potential Zelda characters all too often when trying to determine whether or not Ghirahim will make the roster.
I agree.
If they want to use the most recent game, they could just put in Yuga or Ravio
If they want to represent more from Toon Link, they could add Vaati.
It's not like it HAS to be Girahim. Though if it is SS, judging from the trophy, then my hopes are screwed

epicgordan

Smash Ace
If one applies the trophy quiz theory, however, it means the only potential newcomers we can expect for the Zelda series would have to come from Skyward Sword and nowhere else. Ghirahim and Impa are the most likely candidates, and who isn't to say that Impa won't become an alternate skin for Sheik? If there's any hope for her, it's that Impa doesn't fight exactly like Sheik would, and has other weapons not used by Sheik to boot.

Edit: Unless of course, The Groose is Loose!

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I always liked Lolo.

Plus, a guy who fights with a giant key would piss off Kingdom Hearts fans, so I'm all for it.

Last edited:

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
Not sure why everyone thinks there will be more clones after Lucina. Lucina may be the only clone character. Dark Pit seems to fit as a stage hazard on Palutena's temple.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Not sure why everyone thinks there will be more clones after Lucina. Lucina may be the clone character. Dark Pit seems to fit as a stage hazard on Palutena's temple.
Because the sign of semi-clones with the presence of Lucina means to me that were getting more of them IMO.
Not the best logic though.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Since we're on the topics of retro, which of these is more plausible?

Extitebiker (doesn't have to be a big bike, but proportionate to his 8-Bit sprite, or his 3D model from the Wiiware game)
Balloon Fighter (Villager might have a simple recovery move, but BF can have a whole float-mechanic based around it)

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I think of clones, I think of Medusa, not Shadow the Angel. (I kid, I kid. I actually like Dark Pit)
But think about it. While a Dark Pit clone wouldn't be bad, Medusa would be epic. Imagine her being a clone of Palutena, with dark effects and stuff. They are aesthetically different but have similar body structures. I actually think it could happen, but we are probably going to get Pittoo.

Morbi

Scavenger
Not sure why everyone thinks there will be more clones after Lucina. Lucina may be the clone character. Dark Pit seems to fit as a stage hazard on Palutena's temple.
That might be the first time that I heard that theory (Dark Pit as a stage-hazard). I speculate that there will be more clones, namely Dr. Mario or perhaps even Black Shadow (I have speculated in favor of him since day one, I finally have something substantial to grasp) as Lucina would not be the only exception to the rule if we were to take Sakurai's assertions as objective fact. If the character functions slightly differently, they warrant their own slot. I suppose I have that Melee mentality that 6 clones are the equivalent of one unique character and therefore they are more than ideal for roster padding. If Toon Link and Lucina are our only clones, I would certainly be surprised. I; however, cannot fathom why people believe that there will not be anymore clones.

*Prior to Toon Link: "There will be no clones!"
*After Toon Link: "No more clones because Sakurai feels as though we need an additional Link!"
*After Lucina: "No more clones because I am going to blatantly disregard Sakurai's statements and adhere to confirmation bias as I arbitrarily hate clones!"

*After next clone, probably Dr. Mario: "I expect Black Shadow, Blood Falcon, Daisy, Galacta Knight, Dixie Kong, Dark Pit, Medusa, Dr. Luigi, Roy, Pichu, and Mew because Sakurai LOVES clones!" :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After seeing the things that Palutena does in Smash.....I have a really hard time envisioning Medusa as a clone.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I have nothing against Bomberman, or Simon. I just fail to comprehend why Sakurai would remove Snake for another Konami representative.
Pretty much agree on that one, especially since snake is from their biggest series. Bomberman hasnt seen the light of day since they acquired him, and as much as i love simon belmont i dont see him happening unless sakurai demanded him, konami is pretty much letting classic castlevania die at this point without igarashi (although simon does live on in mirror of fate at least). I doubt he would just pull a switch like that either.

This needs to happen

MasterDoom1666

Smash Cadet
That might be the first time that I heard that theory (Dark Pit as a stage-hazard).

*After next clone, probably Dr. Mario: "I expect Black Shadow, Blood Falcon, Daisy, Galacta Knight, Dixie Kong, Dark Pit, Medusa, Dr. Luigi, Roy, Pichu, and Mew because Sakurai LOVES clones!" :troll:
Out of all those clone characters, the ones that seem somewhat likely are Daisy, Galacta Knight, Dixie Kong, Dark Pit, Roy, and Mew, but Galacta Knight, Dixie Kong, Dark Pit, and Mew could actually be unique characters, (even though everyone wants Mewtwo)

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
Because the sign of semi-clones with the presence of Lucina means to me that were getting more of them IMO.
Not the best logic though.
The only ones i see as semiclones/clones are

Wolf
Falco
Tink
Lucina
Ganondorf

& that's it, i don't think there will be more Newcomer clones though, Lucina was a special case

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Wolf
Falco
Tink
Lucina
Ganondorf

& that's it, i don't think there will be more Newcomer clones though, Lucina was a special case
I think she was one of the last newcomer clones finished based on how fast she was done, I still think there could be more potential semi (Luigified) clones out there we don't know yet.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Not sure what you saying here.
Do you mean Medusa having moves like Heavenly Light? Cause if you are, that can be changed into dark effects akin to Ganondorf in Melee.
I think he means, Palutena does SO much (she's almost like 3 characters in one due to the ammount of custom moves), that having a clone to Palutena might almost be as much work as another character done from scratch.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Not sure why everyone thinks there will be more clones after Lucina. Lucina may be the only clone character. Dark Pit seems to fit as a stage hazard on Palutena's temple.
In my mind, I feel that because there actually are some fans, like me, who like clone characters, Sakurai would probably add a few for those fans while all of the other newcomers are about as unique as they can get. This probably has been the most unique batch of newcomers we've gotten in a Smash game so far, but there should still be a few clones to make the roster that much larger while giving people different variations of a play style to try out. The party that like unique newcomers and the party that don't mind clones both win.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
At first; I saw your avatar and I just assumed that you were Golden. Once you asserted that it was ideal to remove Dark Pit, I was slightly confused. :awesome:

Because Bomberman shoulda been in over Snake in the first place! :|

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman

Wolf
Falco
Tink
Lucina
Ganondorf

I honestly think Ganondorf is getting a revamp. He may not have a sword, but he honestly deserves a new moveset.
But I don't really think that's fair on Ganondorf mains over the past few games so it could go either way.
Though it would be sweet if Ganondorf gets a new moveset and Black Shadow retains Ganondorf's moveset.

I think he means, Palutena does SO much (she's almost like 3 characters in one due to the ammount of custom moves), that having a clone to Palutena might almost be as much work as another character done from scratch.
Eh, if that's what he meant, I don't see how a copypaste of Palutena is hard work. Yeah, making a new model and re-texturing some of the moves might be hard but I highly doubt it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom