• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
question, is pac mans grab falcon punchable? like can you punish it with falcon punch on reaction
Unless he misses completely (like, you're behind him when he uses it), it isn't THAT punishable,
but pretty much anyone can hit you with something if you miss, period.

In Pac-Man's defense, though, his grab does have a surprising amount of active frames
which can sometimes let him do things like beat spotdodges or catch rolls, but the risk
is generally too high for it to be used as such.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
question, is pac mans grab falcon punchable? like can you punish it with falcon punch on reaction
I don't think it's that slow. It's also worth noting that it's noticeably faster at point blank, where Pac-Man can touch them with his hand instead of waiting for the tractor beam. Not sure of the exact frame data, and it's still slower than Mario's grab at least, but distance to the target is definitely a factor.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
We definitely dont beat Fox that bad lol. Imo its an even match up, but I could see +1 for us. No idea where Fox players are getting the idea that we body them, Fox is still faster, has safe poke options on our shield, has damaging combos, and has more kill power. We have the better neutral slightly, which is what COULD give us the advantage, but its not an awful match up for Fox by any means, Fox players need to learn to space bairs better so they dont get eaten by our nair OoS.

And Yoshi's MUs imo (its honestly not too much different than yours, only a lot more evens lol):
-2: :4sheik:
-1: :4diddy: :4pikachu: :4sonic: :4zss:
0: :4bowserjr: :4falcon: :4darkpit: :4duckhunt: :4falco: :4fox: :4greninja: :4link: :4lucario: :4lucina: :4luigi: :4mario: :4marth: :4megaman: :4metaknight: :4gaw: :4ness: :4olimar: :4pacman: :4palutena: :4peach: :4pit: :4rob: :4robinm: :rosalina: :4shulk: :4tlink: :4villager: :4wario: :4miibrawl: :4miigun:
+1: :4charizard: :4dk: :4drmario: :4myfriends: :4jigglypuff: :4kirby: :4samus: :4wiifit: :4zelda: :4miisword:
+2: :4bowser: :4ganondorf: :4dedede: :4littlemac:
I would honestly wager from personal experience that Doc does better against Yoshi than Mario, to be frank. He doesn't really care about the Eggs in neutral because he's not a huge target and he has a reflector. He still forces Yoshi to play respectfully with basically the same moves and can still do aerial -> Jab pretty safely on Yoshi's shield, but in Doc's case he's one of few characters that actually trades very well with Yoshi. Plus, I believe this is a matchup where Doc's noticeably superior Up-B out of shield is actually a big deal, because it makes it a lot riskier for Yoshi to attempt making reads on Doc's defenses. Mario for instance probably doesn't have very good punishes for something like Yoshi's DA, Jab, and B-air when his Up-B isn't as reliable, however Doc's Up-B is a fantastic punish against those moves.

But at most it's just a 5 point difference, because it more comes down to reward than available tools.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The difference between them imo is, Doc is slightly harder to get in on cuz of the bouncing of his pills, but Mario is able to rack up damage better due to his increased mobility being able to follow our landings, and also, its super easy to gimp doc with Yoshi (and Mario isnt too hard either, but Doc is WAY easier). In a 3 stock match, Yoshi should probably be getting a gimp per game on Doc on average, all it takes is a nair, Yoshi's offstage game is super strong in Sm4sh.

Noa.

Smash Master
Couple of things I found interesting. Olimar in your bottom 6, how spot on you are on how to make Mac more viable (uair/jump height allows him to pressure platforms easier without making him an air fighter), and the Zard love.
I'm curious why you have Olimar so low. Please explain, because I believe he's still suffering from the 3ds perception of his Pikmin. Otherwise, I'm with you on the meh pacman train and similarly unsure about Falco. I feel like I just haven't seen much effective Falco play and I want to say it's because he's changed quite a bit as a character (I've only seen Kietaro play Falco and he just looks like Brawl Wolf at times). As for swordfighter, I try to stay away from that discussion as I know nothing about that character. Zelda is Zelda.

On the topic of Charizard, something to note is that he benefits from rage more than any other character due to his great recovery, heavy weight, and grab game. I think Charizard at high % is scarier than Lucario at high % mostly because of rage infused kill throw and rock smash trades. Add in the fact that he doesn't really combo (therefore is not negatively affected by rage) and thrives offstage with flame thrower and strong aerials, Charizard is the rage monster Lucario wishes he could be.

Side note: a lot of streams and recorded tournaments are on the east coast (notably the MD/NJ scenes) but very little comes out of other big smash scenes. I am mostly talking out of ignorance, but California and Florida have strong smash scenes, right? What are the results over there like?
We have quite a few tournaments that happen very often in Florida. We're a pretty large state and are divided into lots of diferent areas that have their own players and metas to an extent. I'll list some of the players that are doing well at some of our larger tournaments across our regions.

In North Florida the most notable player is Ryo with Ike. He was an amazing Ike player in brawl and is doing well with Ike. He's only been to one big tournament in FL, and got 2nd.

In Orlando the best players are Streetshark who plays Sonic, GDX who plays Diddy, and Plup who plays Diddy. The only one who has done well against Florida's other regions is GDX.

In Tampa the best players are Static Manny with Sonic, Xdeath with Diddy/Luigi, and Chozox with Samus. Chozox almost always gets top 3 at a tournament and he makes Samus work. I have no clue how.

In SFL the top placements are made by Nick Riddle who plays ZSS, MVD who plays Little Mac/Duck Hunt, Xaltis with Rosalina, and Myran with Olimar. When ESAM with PIkachu and Shaky with Ness are in town, they always place very highly as well.

This Saturday we have a huge tournament coming up that will have almost every FL player in attendance. At least 150 people have pre-registered, and we will have more people show up on the day of. All of the players I listed above I would say are the top players in their respective region of FL. In terms of strength the regions are in order of SFL>Tampa>Orlando>NFL.

I'll list some of the other players in FL that tend to get top 8, but struggle to make top 3 at very large FL tournaments.

NFL: Dewdadash (Diddy), Dollo (Diddy)

Orlando: Noa (Ness) Ookami (Pikachu) KDB (Yoshi)

Tampa: Phuzix (Sheik)

SFL: 8Bit (ROB) True Blue (Sonic) Master Raven (Sheik) Ed (Sheik) 2nLEo (Diddy)

I'm sure there are a handful of players I'm missing but I've listed both the best FL players and a lot of our decent ones.

I can't speak for all of Florida, but I know here in the Tampa Bay area we got a couple of Sheiks, a D3 (no, not me), a Falcon, and a really good Sonic (StaticManny, the dude that was at KiT). Pretty sure there's also a Fox and a Ness somewhere in this mix, plus Rosalina. Oh, and then there is everybody's favorite simian, Diddy, who has at least one really solid player repping him. That's off the top of my head.

Orlando/Miami is somewhat of a mystery to me. I mean, I'd safely assume the old standbys in Shaky and Nick Riddle are still strong, with ZSS and Ness respectively. I'm not one hundred percent sure, though. Hopefully I get to play/see those guys in the future. last edit I promise

I'm also helping organize stuff in my immediate area too, so there's going to be an influx of new blood soon. We're gonna be streaming and everything. We're shooting probably for the end of February? Something like that.

Smooth Criminal
I lurk in this thread a lot, and never knew that Smooth Criminal lived in Florida. Interesting :V

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The difference between them imo is, Doc is slightly harder to get in on cuz of the bouncing of his pills, but Mario is able to rack up damage better due to his increased mobility being able to follow our landings, and also, its super easy to gimp doc with Yoshi (and Mario isnt too hard either, but Doc is WAY easier). In a 3 stock match, Yoshi should probably be getting a gimp per game on Doc on average, all it takes is a nair, Yoshi's offstage game is super strong in Sm4sh.
Doc's recovery is okay if he either has enough room to Tornado stall, or if he saves double jump Tornado similar to Luigi. Sure if you catch him after all that, he's a goner, but it isn't drastically different in Mario's case minus he'll try to use Cape if he has enough height to do so.

I honestly don't feel like chasing Yoshi's landing is very wise for either character unless the goal is to U-smash him for the KO, given Yoshi's multiple aerial options that are difficult to space against. Mario can cover full retreats slightly better, but I don't find it easy to actually land U-smash on Yoshi unless the only thing he does on landing is try to attack, in which case Doc would come out ahead here given his U-smash KOs earlier and does more damage.

In my observation, the real focus of this matchup is for Mario and Doc to dominate neutral with better projectiles and B-airs which prevent Yoshi from abusing his mobility, as well as beating his pokes fairly consistently. It works for both characters by design, just Doc gets more reward for it allowing him to keep up with Yoshi's fairly insane punish damage. I mean, in a perfect world, a perfect Mario would theoretically have the edge in neutral, but when Yoshi gets a punish, it's a lot harder for Mario to keep up especially since most of Doc and Mario's extended juggles aren't very viable against Yoshi. Both of them sorta get bodied out of neutral when Yoshi's basic juggle reads just lead to huge damage potential and when they don't have very strong recoveries.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
We have quite a few tournaments that happen very often in Florida. We're a pretty large state and are divided into lots of diferent areas that have their own players and metas to an extent. I'll list some of the players that are doing well at some of our larger tournaments across our regions.

In North Florida the most notable player is Ryo with Ike. He was an amazing Ike player in brawl and is doing well with Ike. He's only been to one big tournament in FL, and got 2nd.

In Orlando the best players are Streetshark who plays Sonic, GDX who plays Diddy, and Plup who plays Diddy. The only one who has done well against Florida's other regions is GDX.

In Tampa the best players are Static Manny with Sonic, Xdeath with Diddy/Luigi, and Chozox with Samus. Chozox almost always gets top 3 at a tournament and he makes Samus work. I have no clue how.

In SFL the top placements are made by Nick Riddle who plays ZSS, MVD who plays Little Mac/Duck Hunt, Xaltis with Rosalina, and Myran with Olimar. When ESAM with PIkachu and Shaky with Ness are in town, they always place very highly as well.

This Saturday we have a huge tournament coming up that will have almost every FL player in attendance. At least 150 people have pre-registered, and we will have more people show up on the day of. All of the players I listed above I would say are the top players in their respective region of FL. In terms of strength the regions are in order of SFL>Tampa>Orlando>NFL.

I'll list some of the other players in FL that tend to get top 8, but struggle to make top 3 at very large FL tournaments.

NFL: Dewdadash (Diddy), Dollo (Diddy)

Orlando: Noa (Ness) Ookami (Pikachu) KDB (Yoshi)

Tampa: Phuzix (Sheik)

SFL: 8Bit (ROB) True Blue (Sonic) Master Raven (Sheik) Ed (Sheik) 2nLEo (Diddy)

I'm sure there are a handful of players I'm missing but I've listed both the best FL players and a lot of our decent ones.

I lurk in this thread a lot, and never knew that Smooth Criminal lived in Florida. Interesting :V
>_> There were a lot of heads at that tourney I went to than I realized. Holy crap.

Thanks for enlightening me, though.

(Yes, I live in Dunedin, outside of Tampa.)

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
How does Pac-Man capitalize from his potent stage control? I'm aware that trampoline sets up some interesting punishes but is there anything else?
If Pac Man has the lead, he punishes approach attempts with aerials and up B's when you're grounded and mixes that up with charging whatever fruit is best for the situation. Keys are usually good, but they're not always the best. 15% is nothing to laugh at though.

If Pac-Man needs to make a comeback or to be the one on the offense due to stock or % deficit, what are his options? Is there any gameplan to seal stocks other than hard reads?
If you leave Pac-Man alone and try to camp him out, you subject yourself to letting him charge whatever fruit he wants to aid his comeback. He can place hydrants and trampolines to disrupt your attempts at running away, and can mix in an unblockable any time he wants, or whatever fruit he is holding. You can't shield forever, and he's got an option that gets around it anyway. If he wants to and you sit back, he can get a Key in his hand and force you to deal with instantly launched hydrants from Zdrops and Key OOS along with his up B.

I read a lot about the defensive and campy potential of trampolines, hydrants and fruits, but how do they perform once Pac-Man is the one that needs to approach and the opponent is being patient (Pshielding fruits, avoiding Hydrants etc?)
If Pac Man doesn't use Hydrant's water spurts to disrupt your camping, he can use Melons and Galaxians to cover his approach. He's fast enough to follow them and up B you for shielding them, or attempt to hit you for jumping and dodging. He can also launch his hydrant with Fair, jab, and U tilt (I don't use this launch that often) to delay its bouncing towards you, forcing you to deal with him/fruit and it at the same time.

You can't really projectile camp Pac-Man unless you've got a projectile with a high rate of fire, otherwise he'll side B them and heal himself. The only ones that come to mind that get around Pac-Man's Side B are Fox's Blaster, Sheik's needles maybe, ROB's lasers, Mega Man's Metal Blades and maybe Mii Gunner has something, not sure. Besides ROB, the others can be meatshielded by hydrant, and Fox's blaster and Sheik's needles will never launch it. All of Mega Man's quicker projectiles are neutralized by Pac-Man's melon. So if you sit back, you're giving Pac-Man complete liberty to do what he wants.

I believe it is also worth noting that Trampoline is able to function as an unblockable blitz given the move will force you to jump even if you shield (or dodge, for that matter), but I could be wrong.
If you are on the ground, you can't block or spotdodge Pac Man's up B because the trampoline will pull you out of any defensive maneuver, including tech rolls, get up attacks, and other invincible stuff. The only way to avoid it is to roll before he does it or short hop airdodge, but then good luck punishing Pac Man if you do.

I don't really want to have a long Pac-Man argument, but I'm definitely +1 to the side of Pac-Man being bad and don't really think a better grab would suddenly make him good just decent. I just look at him, see hydrant as one of his strongest moves, see how easy it is for hydrant to hurt him more than help him when he puts it out (usually he tries to land behind it and, before he gets a chance to take advantage of the cover, has an fsmash'd hydrant flying at him), and really struggle to see him as good. The good characters don't have their strong tools so easily turned against them, and how just flat out unimpressive his normals are doesn't really do much for me either... I simply don't believe he beats Sheik and goes even with Diddy and Yoshi; on what game theory does that even work? I foresee Sheik and Diddy just rushing him down and winning on the basis of having better buttons than he does and Yoshi kinda doing the same but also winning the long range game since eggs are better than all of Pac-Man's projectiles. If Yoshi catches a fruit especially and just holds it while chucking eggs, that's going to be a nasty situation in which Pac-Man will be forced to approach...
I think I'd put BF and Trampoline above hydrant in terms of strength, but I think you're underestimating it. When you play Pac Man for while, you start remembering how each different move will launch your hydrant, so that even if you place it when an opponent can immediately launch it, you can airdodge through its path or land where it bounces over Pac-Man's head.

Sheik and Diddy can't really outright rush him down. If Pac-Man puts a trampoline in front of the hydrant, both characters have to take an aerial approach to get to him, and they can't just smash it out of the way because of the trampoline in front of it. When they come from the air, Pac-Man can Uair, Fair, Bair, launch the hydrant when they jump, or sit in shield and up B their landing (again, unblockable on grounded opponents).

Yoshi can't camp him because of Side B. Eggs that aren't aggressively followed = healing for Pac-Man. Yoshi also loses his formidable jab and tilts if he opts to hold on to the fruit.

The covering portion of hydrant is nice, but remember that it forces many characters to respect Pac-Man when they're under him and trying to juggle him. Even if you stay grounded anticipating the hydrant, you waste time by smashing it away instead of pursuing Pac Man, and the water spurts provide him with additional cover while you've trying to punish his landings.

I don't know if he beats Sheik, but I don't see how it is worse than even for Pac Man. Hydrants will always tank her needles, all of the fruits tank them ,and Sheik can't launch it quickly without using a smash attack, giving Pac Man an opening to hit her for it. Considering she gains nothing by trying to camp, I see her having trouble navigating a field with a hydrant that stops her projectiles and a trampoline that somewhat nullifies her grounded options. Sheik's speed is insane, but Pac-Man can largely disrupt her game with his stuff, and once he gets his keys from his camping, he has a serious punish available with long range. Unfortunately, this MU still hasn't really happened at high level, but I think it'd be similar to Pac-Man vs Fox, which there is a video of. Pac-Man sets up Pac Land and punishes approaches.

Don't get me started on the crap Pac-Man can pull when he is edgeguarding.

Imo, people tend to blow out of proportion how good Pac Man would be with a better grab. He'd skyrocket yes, but to say he would be the best, and by a bit is a hyperbole to me. Sheik, Diddy, and Yoshi, the undisputed best 3, would knock him down a few pegs.
You would never stay in Pac-Man's face if he had a normal grab. Honestly, I can't put into words how nice things would be if Pac Man had Mario's grab. It was clearly intentional by the dev team to hold him back.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
If Pac Man has the lead, he punishes approach attempts with aerials and up B's when you're grounded and mixes that up with charging whatever fruit is best for the situation. Keys are usually good, but they're not always the best. 15% is nothing to laugh at though.

If you leave Pac-Man alone and try to camp him out, you subject yourself to letting him charge whatever fruit he wants to aid his comeback. He can place hydrants and trampolines to disrupt your attempts at running away, and can mix in an unblockable any time he wants, or whatever fruit he is holding. You can't shield forever, and he's got an option that gets around it anyway. If he wants to and you sit back, he can get a Key in his hand and force you to deal with instantly launched hydrants from Zdrops and Key OOS along with his up B.

If Pac Man doesn't use Hydrant's water spurts to disrupt your camping, he can use Melons and Galaxians to cover his approach. He's fast enough to follow them and up B you for shielding them, or attempt to hit you for jumping and dodging. He can also launch his hydrant with Fair, jab, and U tilt (I don't use this launch that often) to delay its bouncing towards you, forcing you to deal with him/fruit and it at the same time.

You can't really projectile camp Pac-Man unless you've got a projectile with a high rate of fire, otherwise he'll side B them and heal himself. The only ones that come to mind that get around Pac-Man's Side B are Fox's Blaster, Sheik's needles maybe, ROB's lasers, and maybe Mii Gunner has something, not sure. Besides ROB, the others can be meatshielded by hydrant, and Fox's blaster and Sheik's needles will never launch it. So if you sit back, you're giving Pac-Man complete liberty to do what he wants.

If you are on the ground, you can't block or spotdodge Pac Man's up B because the trampoline will pull you out of any defensive maneuver. The only way to avoid it is to roll before he does it, and then good luck punishing Pac Man if you do.

I think I'd put BF and Trampoline above hydrant in terms of strength, but I think you're underestimating it. When you play Pac Man for while, you start remembering how each different move will launch your hydrant, so that even if you place it when an opponent can immediately launch it, you can airdodge through its path or land where it bounces over Pac-Man's head.

The covering portion of hydrant is nice, but remember that it forces many characters to respect Pac-Man when they're under him and trying to juggle him. Even if you stay grounded anticipating the hydrant, you waste time by smashing it away instead of pursuing Pac Man, and the water spurts provide him with additional cover while you've trying to punish his landings.

I don't know if he beats Sheik, but I don't see how it is worse than even for Pac Man. Hydrants will always tank her needles ,and Sheik can't launch it quickly without using a smash attack, giving Pac Man an opening to hit her for it. Considering she gains nothing by trying to camp, I see her having trouble navigating a field with a hydrant that stops her projectiles and a trampoline that somewhat nullifies her grounded options. Sheik's speed is insane, but Pac-Man can largely disrupt her game with his stuff. Unfortunately, this MU still hasn't really happened at high level, but I think it'd be similar to Pac-Man vs Fox, which there is a video of. Pac-Man sets up Pac Land and punishes approaches.
All of this is pretty spot on. I'll definitely be making a Pac Man tips & tricks video, to add to my series (SAMUS and PIT/DARK PIT are my previous episodes). He's got so much he can do in any situation, and even his grab works well with his moveset - he's not as bad at grabbing as it often made out, because people tend to rely on spot-dodges to deal with a lot of his other tools (And spot dodging can generally be seen as better than shield a lot of the time).

When people start jabbing as an alternate defensive option, he may have trouble dealing with it as they'll likely be able to grab items efficiently, but Pac Man has the tools to deal with that. I think Pac Man will come out as more flexible to shifts in the metagame than a lot of other more one-note flowchart characters.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
IMO I think Doc and Mario have close to the same MU vs. Yoshi BY NUMBERS (the way it works is quite different) I think Doc loses slightly (not 6:4 but like, 45:55 Yoshi favor) because of gimping but getting in on him is much harder if the other play uses Doc Tornado wisely and Doc's better defensive options. Yoshi also has to be careful of Doc's edgeguarding because of how early Tornado can yank a stock and because Yoshi's recovery is decidedly linear (Nado kills Bowser at 70% and Doc can make it back with just his second jump so, some perspective. No DI factored) and adversely, Yoshi can gimp Doc really easy because reasons.

Just my input, though. A lot of it is Doc's strong defensive game.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
The issue I have with Pac's camping game is that it doesn't flow together. You get past one trick and there isn't another one waiting. You get past the hydrant, he can't set another one up until the original disappears; you get past the trampoline, he can't set up another one without going into special fall; you get through a Bonus Fruit, he has to charge it up again to access the better fruits. Sure, he can jump stall his bonus fruit (like Robin), but to do so, you give up a lot of stage control... which doesn't agree with a good camping game.

I haven't played the pacman sheik/fox matchup, but do needles/blaster really not launch the hydrant once its HP is done? What happens with Mega is if Pac does something like BAir the hydrant in preparation to launch it with a weaker attack, a single lemon/metal blade will launch it even though those have next to 0 knockback (needles definitely have more knockback than a lemon). If you are in a position to be able to punish your opponent for hitting the hydrant, your opponent is likely in the same situation. In which case, the hydrant is neutral. Some characters can take advantage of the hydrant better than Pacman (characters with +13% quick moves). Why Sheik would smash the hydrant makes no sense, because neither her or Pacman have quick moves that launch fresh hydrants. The only reason would be to gain access to using the hydrant as a hitbox, in which case you have to deal with that & Sheik's smash before punishing her.

And on that note, already set trampolines hurt Pac more than any other character because if he lands on it, he'll jump and go into special fall. The unblockable bit is nice, but being aggressive with it is dangerous as the reward isn't really that high for the amount of risk you take. (You say it's hard to punish... is it really that hard? Maybe for characters with bad aerial mobility... but I imagine Captain Falcon having a field day with his knees) The point here is, how are you really setting up your trampolines? Even Mac can punish you for setting one up with side-B. I watched a couple of Japanese pacman videos and I haven't seen one that camps the opponent out effectively. If you know of one, I'd be happy to see it and admit my ignorance.

When you play Pac Man for while, you start remembering how each different move will launch your hydrant, so that even if you place it when an opponent can immediately launch it, you can airdodge through its path or land where it bounces over Pac-Man's head.
This is true for your opponent and why I think Pacman has done well in the early stages of the game. Who knows the Pacman matchup? Not many. A set hydrant is a poor man's Duck Hunt default can. Bonus fruit is somewhat complicated and not a lot of people know the order or the trajectory of each one. From what I see, it looks like his traps have consistent holes (see some pages back).

That said, Pacman does have some very interesting things he can do. Z-drop fruits is great, item-key can solve OOS problems, hydrant drop is a great move, power pellet can tank projectiles & heal (although comes out on frame 12 so not fantastic on reaction), normals are fast, NAir is reminiscent of Brawl MK. However, none of these are "stage control" or "camping." I just don't think he excels in that area as much as I've read in this thread (especially compared to Duck Hunt or Villager).

TL;DR - I don't think Pacman is very good and the common perception of him as a camping/stalling character bothers me as it seems like that's the direction his development is going instead of Z-drop key + hydrant launching shenanigans or the Mario route due to his frame data (I knew his aerials were quick, but I didn't know all 5 of his aerials are sub-10 frames).

@ Conda Conda - it's not just the grab startup (he beats Greninja here in standing grab), but it's the end lag. A whiffed grab probably gets punished harder than a whiffed fsmash. All about that risk/reward.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I pretty much agree with what Locke 06 is saying above except add more general pessimism toward the rest of Pac-Man's game and an even greater emphasis on "where do you even find the time to set up these slow stage control options". Characters with bad grabs can expect to get their shields pressured really hard and to generally face really disrespectful rushdown a lot; that kinda goes the opposite way of being able to set up a stage control game unless you have some really fast option like Villager fair/bair to just instantly control space which Pac-Man just doesn't.

Yeah, I wouldn't consider Wario or Yoshi heavies in any meaningful sense, and I'm pretty sure Charizard is better than Samus (so is Bowser). I'm actually not entirely sure if Wario is really better than Charizard and Bowser, may depend on whether customs are on or off (customs on I favor the big guys, off Wario may edge them out, hard to say since Wario is obviously a decent character but he isn't really played locally for me). I do think people are sleeping on the value of the heavies in general. I think both Charizard and Bowser are legitimate, viable characters we'll start to see more and not less as time goes on, and I think the people putting DK in bottom tier are nuts. Ike is also better than most people think and Ganon/DDD are decent but probably the worst two of the heavies as far as I can tell.

Falco I think would be so easy to fix but isn't good now. He has some really awesome stuff like that jab and that bair along with a lot of pretty decent normals that give him some pretty legitimate attacking options. The biggest problem he has is that he just runs way too slowly; his moveset is fundamentally that space animal moveset that has so much dynamic pressure and mix-up, but when your mobility is at his level, the whole thing just gets really hard. He could offset that a lot if his projectile were a viable move, but it's just horrible to the point that I'm legitimately not sure why he even has a blaster in this game (Falco's blaster being one of the very worst projectiles in the game, how far we've come). And while it's a lot less fundamental of a problem, his frame 16 dair is pretty much a joke and boils him down to "if he's jumping at you, he's probably going to use bair" more than Falco really needs to boil down like that. I can see why people like Falco since he really does have some impressive stuff, but I just don't think it comes together to be better than many other characters with his current flaws.

My logic for Olimar is this. I think he's very good at being annoying, but he's overnerfed from Brawl such that that's the main thing he's good at. His kill power is probably the worst in the entire cast which makes it really easy to just extend stocks forever against him (especially if you watch his pikmin queue and play carefully around potential purple attacks and to a much lesser extent reds), and for reasons I still don't really understand they took the best grab in Brawl and made it one of the worst in smash 4. It just loses to everything and has such bizarrely poor range. I don't even get why it is as bad as it is, but it sure doesn't help Olimar's cause. I think in the long run Olimar is going to be that low tier hero who seems unusable, proves he has a gameplan and scares people, gets figured out, and gets right back down near the bottom but will just wipe out players who don't know how to fight him. In a less balanced smash game (all of the others), this version of Olimar would probably be a mid tier, but since this game is what it is, being like the old mid tiers makes you a bottom tier. I will agree he was improved drastically from the old 3ds version; he was flat unplayable in that whereas he's playable but just underwhelming in this version.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
My logic for Olimar is this. I think he's very good at being annoying
I don't have enough experience or knowledge of Olimar to know much about how he plays or how nerfed his grab is (it still seems good to me, but I don't have anything to back that up). However, I do agree that his gameplan now is being annoying. It makes it more true to the source material and I'm a fan. I played some DK vs Olimar and it felt like Pikmin 3. Balance aside, I think Olimar's design is amazing. (A small note: I think it would've been a really cool gimmick if Olimar could continue to shield while using standing grab like how DH can shoot the can while shielding. Probably impossible to balance, but it would make the character super cool.)

Considering balance, I'm just curious to see how he turns out after being a very good character in Brawl. I didn't think the nerfs hit him that hard and there are some advocates of him as well as some good players using him successfully, but, like I said, I have very little knowledge of the character.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Olimar's grab seems to have about the same range as in Brawl
(except the purples obviously), if anything it just has more lag, so now
Olimar doesn't have an almost tether grab that ends as fast as a normal one.

Him having trouble killing early outside of purple smashes is somewhat
mitigated by the fact that he can still rack up damage like crazy on you if you
don't watch out. He just can't recklessly throw pikmin anymore.

Noa.

Smash Master
Olimar's red fsmash is incredibly potent in this game. I've seen it kill below 100 many times thanks to rage. And for an fsmash it's pretty difficult to punish. It doesn't have that much end lag considering its range and power.

Nerfed though his grab may be, blue and purple pikmin still ko with throws sub 140 and sometimes earlier.

His kill power is quite decent.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Hello Pacman mains,

You guys mention that if Pacman had a normal grab, he will move higher in the tier list? Are Pacman's throws/setup amazing? What options do you have out of your throws? Sorry, I'm just curious.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Bthrow can kill, Dthrow can sort of combo into dash attack
(if it doesn't work he can just up b to escape), or a well-aimed
Pac-Chain at higher percentages if they jump. Uthrow is kind of useless
since it sends them too high without killing, and Fthrow is kind of a glorified
air grab release since the knockback pretty much doesn't change.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hello Pacman mains,

You guys mention that if Pacman had a normal grab, he will move higher in the tier list? Are Pacman's throws/setup amazing? What options do you have out of your throws? Sorry, I'm just curious.
Not a Pac-Man player myself, but I think what people are saying isn't that his throws are good, nor that he gets good rewards from them, but that a normal grab would make it much more difficult to pressure his shield, which is currently one of his main problems.

He doesn't need to get a good reward from the throw/pummel/etc, all he really wants is supposedly a way to get people away from him so they have to approach back through his traps across the stage while giving him breathing room.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hello Pacman mains,

Its the fact that z drop is really good if you have an item that you need a normal grab.

Makorel

Smash Apprentice
Uthrow is kind of useless
I've noticed this with a lot of characters. Forward and back throws are for spacing and sometimes killing, down throw is for combos, but except for like Marth whose up throw is supposed to kill at higher percents what is up throw even for?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I've noticed this with a lot of characters. Forward and back throws are for spacing and sometimes killing, down throw is for combos, but except for like Marth whose up throw is supposed to kill at higher percents what is up throw even for?
For Falco, at low percents, it combos into Nair, Uair, and maybe Bair and Fair. Later on, it can kill like his B-throw, but they're wonky. Link and I think Sonic can kill with U-throw. I might be wrong on this, but I believe Zelda can combo Uair out of U-throw.

Anyway, yeah, most cases is that D-throw allows pretty much everyone to combo, B-throw to kill, and sometimes F-throw to combo or space.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
It feels like a last resort for "get opponent above me" (base goal to set up a juggle trap) for most characters; generally not too useful, but if they're fast enough on recovery then they can be useful against opponents with poor landing options.

(Note: this logic based off of Brawl Falco/Marth vs characters with weak landing/downwards aerial option characters like Brawl Marth, and it's transferred over at least acceptably)

Oh, and some characters combo off of Uthrow. Lucario's one of those, just off the top of my head.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
The developer's killed pretty much all upthrows when they gave most forward and backthrows such high base knockback.

Upthrow is alright in doubles though....but i guess anything can work in doubles.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
The developer's killed pretty much all upthrows when they gave most forward and backthrows such high base knockback.

Upthrow is alright in doubles though....but i guess anything can work in doubles.
Dthrow>footstool>jab lock/usmash is the way to go in doubles.

Up throws are for juggling and space for most characters. Mega Man's up throw gives him enough time to fire up leaf shield/throw down a metal blade.

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
For Falco, at low percents, it combos into Nair, Uair, and maybe Bair and Fair. Later on, it can kill like his B-throw, but they're wonky. Link and I think Sonic can kill with U-throw. I might be wrong on this, but I believe Zelda can combo Uair out of U-throw.
Don't forget ROB's up-throw (which everyone keeps mistaking for a down-throw, even after they see its actual down-throw earlier in a match).

(Here's hoping a certain DLC character will restore honour to up-throws.)

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Greninja's uthrow both KOs earlier than Marth and is his main combo throw.

Mario's uthrow is used at lower percents against fastfalling characters as a combo starter instead of dthrow I believe.

In general though, most characters' uthrows only exist to put opponents in the air.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I pretty much agree with what Locke 06 is saying above except add more general pessimism toward the rest of Pac-Man's game and an even greater emphasis on "where do you even find the time to set up these slow stage control options". Characters with bad grabs can expect to get their shields pressured really hard and to generally face really disrespectful rushdown a lot; that kinda goes the opposite way of being able to set up a stage control game unless you have some really fast option like Villager fair/bair to just instantly control space which Pac-Man just doesn't.

Yeah, I wouldn't consider Wario or Yoshi heavies in any meaningful sense, and I'm pretty sure Charizard is better than Samus (so is Bowser). I'm actually not entirely sure if Wario is really better than Charizard and Bowser, may depend on whether customs are on or off (customs on I favor the big guys, off Wario may edge them out, hard to say since Wario is obviously a decent character but he isn't really played locally for me). I do think people are sleeping on the value of the heavies in general. I think both Charizard and Bowser are legitimate, viable characters we'll start to see more and not less as time goes on, and I think the people putting DK in bottom tier are nuts. Ike is also better than most people think and Ganon/DDD are decent but probably the worst two of the heavies as far as I can tell.

Falco I think would be so easy to fix but isn't good now. He has some really awesome stuff like that jab and that bair along with a lot of pretty decent normals that give him some pretty legitimate attacking options. The biggest problem he has is that he just runs way too slowly; his moveset is fundamentally that space animal moveset that has so much dynamic pressure and mix-up, but when your mobility is at his level, the whole thing just gets really hard. He could offset that a lot if his projectile were a viable move, but it's just horrible to the point that I'm legitimately not sure why he even has a blaster in this game (Falco's blaster being one of the very worst projectiles in the game, how far we've come). And while it's a lot less fundamental of a problem, his frame 16 dair is pretty much a joke and boils him down to "if he's jumping at you, he's probably going to use bair" more than Falco really needs to boil down like that. I can see why people like Falco since he really does have some impressive stuff, but I just don't think it comes together to be better than many other characters with his current flaws.

My logic for Olimar is this. I think he's very good at being annoying, but he's overnerfed from Brawl such that that's the main thing he's good at. His kill power is probably the worst in the entire cast which makes it really easy to just extend stocks forever against him (especially if you watch his pikmin queue and play carefully around potential purple attacks and to a much lesser extent reds), and for reasons I still don't really understand they took the best grab in Brawl and made it one of the worst in smash 4. It just loses to everything and has such bizarrely poor range. I don't even get why it is as bad as it is, but it sure doesn't help Olimar's cause. I think in the long run Olimar is going to be that low tier hero who seems unusable, proves he has a gameplan and scares people, gets figured out, and gets right back down near the bottom but will just wipe out players who don't know how to fight him. In a less balanced smash game (all of the others), this version of Olimar would probably be a mid tier, but since this game is what it is, being like the old mid tiers makes you a bottom tier. I will agree he was improved drastically from the old 3ds version; he was flat unplayable in that whereas he's playable but just underwhelming in this version.
can u give me some number has to how blaster is so terrible? i use it all the time still his most usefull move.
along with the fact that i just dont argee with falco being bottom 5 lol so perhaps im just going defence mode.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

I'd think depending on your character the positioning uthrow gives you is probably the best.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
can u give me some number has to how blaster is so terrible? i use it all the time still his most usefull move.
along with the fact that i just dont argee with falco being bottom 5 lol so perhaps im just going defence mode.
I blame it on muscle memory like when I use Mega Man, I forget that his Nair isn't like everyone else's regular attack. Falco's Blaster is more of an interrupter and poker rather than a zoning and damage tool now.

It's possible to gimp people who are off-stage with a precise read with Blaster. You shoot, they try to jump, and it hits, then in most cases, especially if it hits far and the opponent has bad recovery, they're screwed.

The issue is that SSB4 Falco feels like a really weird mishmash of Brawl Falco and Brawl Wolf leading to some issues like Wolf's air mobility would make Falco insane, but Falco was never like that. Wolf's Blaster was slow like Falco's current Blaster, but it had a bayonet for close range safety and the bolt had a large hitbox while Falco doesn't have any close range protection if you accidentally use Blaster and it fires beams instead of bolts.

Wolf's Up Smash had a good hitbox because it was like Wolf's body and legs while Falco's is just his legs and covers an arc leaving people behind him and shorter characters unaffected. Hell, a lot of Wolf's attacks covered low to the ground and his ground attacks were fast and moved him forward. Falco's aerials don't cover the ground well forcing you to have good reactions to land a Bair and Uair that close to the ground or risk a Fair or even a Dair while Wolf could Fair, Bair, Nair, and Dair shorter enemies fine. This leaves Falco trying to fight mostly with ground moves and trying to get enemies into the air and sometimes that's worse like fighting against a Jigglypuff who's moves feel like they outspeed and out prioritize Falco's. So, Wolf was slow, but like Ike, he had coverage and range through moving attacks.

If Falco's Blaster traveled half or even a third of Final Destination, but shot or the bolts moved much faster like in Brawl, then it wouldn't be much of a problem. Personally, I believe that Wolf's Blaster would have been the best or second best Blaster in SSB4 due to it's hitbox, melee capability, and stun effect.

Falco's Blaster must be used more like a cowboy's revolver. One or two shots and in the air preferably to reduce end lag issues on the ground since Falco can still move around in the air. It pokes, interrupts, and sometimes gimps. It won't zone reliably nor will it be a decent damage racker.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
The issue I have with Pac's camping game is that it doesn't flow together. You get past one trick and there isn't another one waiting. You get past the hydrant, he can't set another one up until the original disappears; you get past the trampoline, he can't set up another one without going into special fall; you get through a Bonus Fruit, he has to charge it up again to access the better fruits. Sure, he can jump stall his bonus fruit (like Robin), but to do so, you give up a lot of stage control... which doesn't agree with a good camping game.
The thing is the opponent is putting themselves at risk while they're navigating through all of this stuff. Pac-Man should be watching and waiting to punish the opponent for navigating through his stuff (or not if he prefers to charge something I guess, depends on the situation). Getting past trampoline means you are going airborne in some way or another. Same for the hydrant unless you are Sonic, who I have found can run right past it for some reason. Pac-Man will always have a shot to punish you for crossing it. He awaits your landing, aerials you, throws something, anything really.

As for the no flow, I think it depends on Pac-Man's setup and what he is doing while the opponent is trying to maneuver through all of his stuff.

You're right about him having to recharge to his BF, but the other two specials provide him time to do so, while at the same time giving him chances to punish you for getting around them when you're trying to chase him down.

I haven't played the pacman sheik/fox matchup, but do needles/blaster really not launch the hydrant once its HP is done?
They have yet to launch it on me.

If you are in a position to be able to punish your opponent for hitting the hydrant, your opponent is likely in the same situation. In which case, the hydrant is neutral.
OK, but if you both wait, Pac-Man gets to charge to what he wants. I don't think that's something most characters want to let him do.

Some characters can take advantage of the hydrant better than Pacman (characters with +13% quick moves). Why Sheik would smash the hydrant makes no sense, because neither her or Pacman have quick moves that launch fresh hydrants. The only reason would be to gain access to using the hydrant as a hitbox, in which case you have to deal with that & Sheik's smash before punishing her.
Pac-Man's Key launches it fresh. If she smashes it, Pac-Man most definitely has a chance to grab her, or throw something right after she hits it. I see your point though. Smart people won't give Pac-Man smash lag to punish. The longer you wait though, the more time he has to charge or set up another trampoline.

As for stronger characters using it better, how so? We both agree that once you know how hydrant is going to fly for various moves, you shouldn't be getting hit by it often. If Pac-Man is fighting someone who can launch it quickly, he needs to keep that in mind and not place it in situations where it'll get launched and hit him before he can react. Otherwise, it still does its job.

And on that note, already set trampolines hurt Pac more than any other character because if he lands on it, he'll jump and go into special fall. The unblockable bit is nice, but being aggressive with it is dangerous as the reward isn't really that high for the amount of risk you take. (You say it's hard to punish... is it really that hard? Maybe for characters with bad aerial mobility... but I imagine Captain Falcon having a field day with his knees) The point here is, how are you really setting up your trampolines? Even Mac can punish you for setting one up with side-B. I watched a couple of Japanese pacman videos and I haven't seen one that camps the opponent out effectively. If you know of one, I'd be happy to see it and admit my ignorance.
You're correct about Pac-Man having to worry about his own trampoline, but I still think it messes up the opponent more than it hurts him. It nullifies any grounded approach they could try to make, and gives Pac-Man the assurance that the opponent will have to jump to get to him.

I usually don't get punished hard for my trampolines. I intend to use it right on top of people so I know they get hit, or when they're far enough away so that I know I won't get punished. That first bounce really doesn't go that high, and since you can't just run to get Pac-Man after he does it, he can usually shield in time to get away with it.

Against little Mac, if you set trampolines in center stage, yes, he'll side B right over it and sock Pac Man for 14%. That's why you place them a little bit away from the ledge, because then Mac has to start his side B from farther away or else he dies. If he starts it from farther away, that's more time for Pac-Man to get his shield up and respond.

Pac-Man's camping game isn't going to keep the opponent out forever, no, but you've got to consider what Pac-Man is doing while the opponent is trying to weave their way in. He makes the most of it by punishing their attempts to get around it. I still don't see anyone except maybe Sonic having an easy time pinning him down for good though.

This is true for your opponent and why I think Pacman has done well in the early stages of the game. Who knows the Pacman matchup? Not many.
The game is still early, and the only big name that has used Pac-Man is abadango. He got 9th I believe at Umebura 11. He did not go solo Pac-Man, but I believe he beat both Nietono and Brood with him. Not sure who else. No one in the U.S. has really touched him.

A set hydrant is a poor man's Duck Hunt default can. Bonus fruit is somewhat complicated and not a lot of people know the order or the trajectory of each one. From what I see, it looks like his traps have consistent holes (see some pages back).
I don't see it. As for the holes, again, I admit that you should get past Pac-Man's stuff at some point. I don't see anyone except Sonic possibly catching Pac-Man easily and/or safely when he reacts to you trying to get in though.

power pellet can tank projectiles & heal (although comes out on frame 12 so not fantastic on reaction), normals are fast, NAir is reminiscent of Brawl MK. However, none of these are "stage control" or "camping." I just don't think he excels in that area as much as I've read in this thread (especially compared to Duck Hunt or Villager).
You might be right on PP being 12 frames, but is that for the pellet itself? That's all that needs to get out for the projectile tanking function. 12f seems awfully slow.

We might just disagree on the stage control. Trampoline on the ground limit ground games quite a bit, hydrant too potentially.

TL;DR - I don't think Pacman is very good and the common perception of him as a camping/stalling character bothers me as it seems like that's the direction his development is going instead of Z-drop key + hydrant launching shenanigans or the Mario route due to his frame data (I knew his aerials were quick, but I didn't know all 5 of his aerials are sub-10 frames).
OK, I'm always open to new directions. Personally I see his highest potential as a camping character, but he is versatile.

Z-drop key shenanigans are great, but it takes time to charge up to the key, jump off of the stage, throw it, catch it, get back on stage, and be ready to use it. Unless the opponent isn't paying attention, I think Pac-Man is going to need to use the trampoline and hydrant to buy himself some time to do this, which is why I think they should be the emphasis of his game.

His aerials are quick, but they've got their fair share of weaknesses too, enough to prevent a serious rushdown game or anything. Fair is quick, but the range isn't great, nor is the damage, and the auto cancel window is terrible. You can't fast fall the move at all without going through its normal lag. Bair has good range and is meaty, but its ending delay leaves a bit to be desired. If Pac Man short hop Bairs, he can't do anything else before he hits the ground. It's a bit too laggy imo, and Pac-Man is too floaty for SH FF Bairs to really be effective IMO. Nair is good. Low range, but other than that it's great. Uair is like Falcon's, but less range, a bit slower, and a tiny bit more lag I believe. He can actually SH Uair -> Uair (will get interrupted by hitting the ground though), Fair, and Nair. Dair is...mediocre at best. My best use for it has been predicting rolls/spotdodges. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything that the other aerials don't.

So yeah, they're not bad, but I don't see how he's going to go down a Mario route, especially with his grab being as bad as it is.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I see Pac-Man utilizing his versatility to the fullest in the future metagame. You can patch up the small amount of holes in his camping and rush down games by combining them, allowing you to approach every matchup in a different way. Him and shulk seem very much like characters that will need to rely on adaptation, only pacman has the combination of a great camp game, the ability to resist being camped out by most of the cast, and great frame data on his normals that help him play a good rush down game against slower, larger, and laggier opponents. Shulk has the range and power on his side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom