• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
To say the truth, I love these SF comparisons. It helps us understand the playstyle and the strengths and weaknesses in an understanble way. I mean, the archetypes are bit more convoluted since Sakurai didn't want to make a straight fighting game for reasons unknown, but at least we see a model to base off of.

Also, I love El Fuerte
Pepeday and Lupe are one of my fave guys to watch......but nothing compares to Snake Eyez's Gief.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
To say the truth, I love these SF comparisons. It helps us understand the playstyle and the strengths and weaknesses in an understanble way.
It's not really helpful to someone who doesn't play Street Fighter. I haven't played enough to have any clue what's going on.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
HaKii took 2nd in Shockwave 62 with primarily Lucas, but he used Captain Falcon and Samus during some matches.

HaKii's Lucas vs. Awestin's Ness: https://youtu.be/ODQDqEIENjw.

HaKii's Lucas and Captain Falcon vs. P2P with Gibus's Greninja (Winners Bracket): https://youtu.be/v6UOxKTgyEM.

HaKii's Lucas vs. Mew²'s Mewtwo: https://youtu.be/hYjALZCetfE.

HaKii's Lucas vs. Hyrule Hero's Link: https://youtu.be/hYjALZCetfE.

HaKii's Lucas and Samus vs. P2P with Gibus's Greninja (Grand Finals): https://youtu.be/VsD9v3SYLcM.

Also, from terminalkai, some Japanese Lucas vs. Ness action: https://youtu.be/8zCz_rHMOug. This one's from a recent online tournament terminalkai hosts.

Just felt like throwing this out there. HaKii represents Lucas and places 2nd in a 130-man tournament, showing some neat stuff relative to other Lucas mains.

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Tbh Sonic is Rufus.
Just that Rufus' Divekick is Sonic's Spindash.
Both are relatively hated in their communities for having things that are considered to be free, or cheap:
- Rufus' target combo into Ultra or the mentionned Divekick.
- Sonic's Spindash, of course.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B. is pretty clearly solid but still has matchup problems with top tiers. Think he's solidly in the upper portion of the cast, but not quite top.

Gyro is one of the most powerful moves in the game, all things considered. That little top demands respect. Doesn't hurt that R.O.B.'s frame data is excellent beyond three aerials and side b.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I love the SF parallels. Who would Mario be? Kappa

Just want to say I do think Cloud's neutral is among the best in the game, but I do think that Limit is a teensy bit overrated. Unless I'm missing something, does Limit Cloud posses a way to threaten you in your shield? Because that is ultimately the character's biggest weakness.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Probably Ness, despite his absorber and reflector, which can be baited with homing missiles (seriously they may be bad as regular projectiles but they work great for baiting airdodges and the like from a distance. Pretty much the main reason Charge Shot doesn't auto-lose to reflectors).
I once went Ness against a Samus and got wrecked. D-throw to fair didn't work, PK Thunder was useless, he was able to uair juggle Ness's physics really well--it was awful.

Just felt like throwing this out there. HaKii represents Lucas and places 2nd in a 130-man tournament, showing some neat stuff relative to other Lucas mains.
Incidentally, that Samus was HaKii.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326

Just want to say I do think Cloud's neutral is among the best in the game, but I do think that Limit is a teensy bit overrated. Unless I'm missing something, does Limit Cloud posses a way to threaten you in your shield? Because that is ultimately the character's biggest weakness.
I don't think Cloud is able to really threaten his opponent's shield, even with Limit. The closest thing he can possibly get to threaten an opponent's shield is Limit Cross Slash, but that is only after a couple jabs and it's not guaranteed to break a shield, and even some opponents will be able to punish it greatly.

He might have a way by using D-Air into Limit Cross Slash, but again, he could be ultimately punished since he'll be more at close range, thus being able to get hit by virtually any other opponent. Limit Cross Slash, despite being somewhat unsafe against a shield, could be his most effective move to threaten an opponent's shield, but certain attacks that could possibly link up to it can just be grabbed or even beaten overall.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
R.O.B. is pretty clearly solid but still has matchup problems with top tiers. Think he's solidly in the upper portion of the cast, but not quite top.

Gyro is one of the most powerful moves in the game, all things considered. That little top demands respect. Doesn't hurt that R.O.B.'s frame data is excellent beyond three aerials and side b.
Don't forget Slip Gyro. A custom that's truly helpful for the little guy

Cloud's main drawback is NOTHING to shields. Doubles with someone who can break shields could be a good way to intimidate foes

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID

If doing 26 damage to your shield on a non-punishable frames 6-11 Intangible attack isn't threatening you also give him the extra movement, which does threaten shields as, even with his weak reward off a grab, allows him to get in more quickly, or space out better and get more grabs because his trots/tomahawks become sharper than ever. Even if the grab doesn't have a guaranteed follow-up, he can still get stage control then edgeguard with his WTF frame 5 N-Air, WTF Neutral-B just covered the entire ledge WTF Side-B just massacred me for trying to recover.

Shield works well, but you can't stay stuck in it if they have Limit because Side-B is pretty much a free nuke that they can and will use at liberty because of how safe charging limit is.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

idk mang. remember i would throw you off stage then go for an untechable edgeguard. Or uthrow landing trap into limit slash.

Cloud has a strong ability to convert off trap scenarios very consistently.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I might need to start maining Bowser alongside my Link now, since Bowser is just that powerful now thanks to the one buff that can fix all of his problems...and link into virtually every attack of his (except Jab, D-Tilt, F-Tilt, Dash and F-Smash). So I'll set aside my Ganondorf as a tertiary character, just so I can focus on Link and Bowser mainly. But this won't mean I will give up on the hulking wall of pain.
If you're going to pick a secondary to Link, I'd suggest someone like Mario, Pika, or Ryu (unless you want to sell out completely and just main Zero Skill Spamus ;) ).

The best way I can describe Bowser's change is this: You now need to fight Bowser in exactly the same way he had to fight his opponents (and still does). By that, I mean slowly, patiently, and without throwing out careless things that can be punished. You have to calculate every action, without question. Don't leave an opening, or Bowser will take it and punish the piss out of you...which is exactly what you can do to Bowser if he leaves an opening (and most of his moveset leaves an opening of SOME kind or another).

But the problem is that are many characters who were already good at fighting Bowser on these terms. In fact, they're generally BETTER at fighting on these terms which is why it's still best to have a secondary if you main Bowser.

Until Sakurai stops sniffing glue and nerfs some of the top tiers, I wouldn't seriously recommend maining Bowser. He's a character that teaches fundamentals of SSB4 VERY well, and he has great reward if you can totally outplay your opponent, but he doesn't have tools in his arsenal the likes of ZSS, Sheik, etc.

Even Diddy and Luigi had tricks to get easy grabs. Bowser doesn't have a banana peel or fireballs to confirm into those grabs. He has to earn every single one the same way he always did: by baiting something out of the opponent and punishing it.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
idk mang. remember i would throw you off stage then go for an untechable edgeguard. Or uthrow landing trap into limit slash.

Cloud has a strong ability to convert off trap scenarios very consistently.
That's fair. Especially given his amazing air to ground game. Isn't late dair to finishing touch a real combo? Damn Cloud is a beast.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I was just looking at SW 62 results, thanks to the links.

1. Gibus :4greninja:
2. HaKii :4lucas:(:4samus::4falcon:)
3. Hyrule Hero :4link:
4. Mew^2 :4mewtwo:
5. CosmicCosmos :4pikachu:
5. SaSSy :4rob:
7. Senpai :4zss:
7. Gyo :4rob:

What the hell happened in Texas two weeks ago?

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Tbh Sonic is Rufus.
Just that Rufus' Divekick is Sonic's Spindash.
Both are relatively hated in their communities for having things that are considered to be free, or cheap:
- Rufus' target combo into Ultra or the mentionned Divekick.
- Sonic's Spindash, of course.
Nah. Rufus has POWER, low range and medium to low start up on most attacks. Rufus is more like Wario. Both characters are heavies with great movement and damaging combos, but they have trouble opening people up in neutral, and a deadly killing trump card in their arsenal:

(The Waft-Space Opera Symphony)

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Nah. Rufus has POWER, low range and medium to low start up on most attacks. Rufus is more like Wario. Both characters are heavies with great movement and damaging combos, but they have trouble opening people up in neutral, and a deadly killing trump card in their arsenal:

When I heard someone say he could combo into Ultra, Wario immediately sprang to mind. Late nair/falling up air/bike to waft, anyone?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It's not really helpful to someone who doesn't play Street Fighter. I haven't played enough to have any clue what's going on.
I mean

You could ask questions about these parallels (e.g. "what are you guys talking about?"), or read about it yourself.

Perhaps we could elaborate on what we mean? That'd be good fodder for conversation.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I once went Ness against a Samus and got wrecked. D-throw to fair didn't work, PK Thunder was useless, he was able to uair juggle Ness's physics really well--it was awful.

Incidentally, that Samus was HaKii.
Yes, Samus is annoying to fight when playing Ness. Getting used to play against her is hard, very few people play her, and she is hard to get strings on. She juggles and zones Ness all she wants, and she doesn't care at all about PK Fire and PSI Magnet. And with the bombs she refuses to get juggled. Side Smash is a blessing in this matchup. Not a bad matchup, but a really annoying and patience-demanding one.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
That moment when you're the only one in the thread who doesn't play Street Fighter.

Yall leaving me in the dust guys, I'm so clueless! :urg:

:150:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
You could ask questions about these parallels (e.g. "what are you guys talking about?"), or read about it yourself.

Perhaps we could elaborate on what we mean? That'd be good fodder for conversation.
The point of the conversation was to make character's archetypes easier to understand. What you're asking is that people who do not play street fighter go out and do more research on how a character in SF plays (which also requires basic knowledge of the game in the first place). For those people, I doubt familiarizing yourself with a whole new set of characters is easier than trying to put character types into Smash terms.
Asking people here to elaborate on SF mechanics would probably be going off topic.
It's probably a good discussion for you guys, but for people like Mewtwo Chainz or myself, it's just confusing and takes more effort to understand than it's likely worth.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
You don't have to play Street Fighter to understand the concept, just basic fighting game knowledge.

and this is relevant, because I've literally played 0 minutes of Street Fighter. There wasn't even anything SF specific, unless you don't know what the term DIVEKICK is.

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
I was just looking at SW 62 results, thanks to the links.

1. Gibus :4greninja:
2. HaKii :4lucas:(:4samus::4falcon:)
3. Hyrule Hero :4link:
4. Mew^2 :4mewtwo:
5. CosmicCosmos :4pikachu:
5. SaSSy :4rob:
7. Senpai :4zss:
7. Gyo :4rob:

What the hell happened in Texas two weeks ago?
At first I was like ' where the hell was Denti' but it looks like he tied for 9th. Along with my man Nomad, a Ganondorf main. Here's the full results.

As far as SF goes, from what I've read people don't like EL Fuerte because he doesn't fight like a SF character. How is this applicable to Sonic? He can dictate the pace of the match, but I dont feel like that's the same as not playing like a Smash character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
At first I was like ' where the hell was Denti' but it looks like he tied for 9th. Along with my man Nomad, a Ganondorf main. Here's the full results.

As far as SF goes, from what I've read people don't like EL Fuerte because he doesn't fight like a SF character. How is this applicable to Sonic? He can dictate the pace of the match, but I dont feel like that's the same as not playing like a Smash character.
Apparently El Fuerte is fast and annoying. Sums up Sonic very well

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman

I was comparing more the thoughts on the character than the actual character.
I've seen complaints about Wario but they aren't as common as Sonic.
I'm putting the two character together for their obnoxious nature in every way more than anything else.
But yeah, Rufus is close to Wario in terms of like, the character playstyle & moveset.

PStoken

Smash Rookie
NNID
Token31
Samus versus ness is even for me, when i go against a ness i only hate it when i gecomboed with fairs , and that f-smash is a problem, but other than that, it really is a fair and enjoyable matchup for both i think.
I agree with Jehtt, i only played streetfighter for snes and i'm really out of the blue with these analogies, like with the chess analogies some time ago.

Last edited:

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody have moments when they are playing and they try to press a button but like they don't really press it and they hesitate like as if you are stuttering while talking converted to a video game...if that makes sense. Well, I have that problem and I think its due to a lack of input competence since it usually happens when im under pressure or focusing really hard on performing an input. I feel like its something I can't work on and get rid off. Any tips?

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
In approximately 3 hours (10:30 a.m. Tokyo time), qualifying rounds for the Umebura Genesis Cup should begin on SHI Gaming's channel. While this is a fairly small event (capped at 80 players), the majority of Kanto's top talent will be turning up, many of whom are seeking last-minute Genesis practice for both singles and doubles. Because they're running two events for a change, singles is projected to finish by 2:30 a.m EST, which is a nice change for those of you who live in the U.S. and don't want to stay up too late on a Sunday.

A: Choco :4zss:, Kenkenpa :4rob:
B: Shu :4sheik::4bowser:, mow :4lucario:
C: Abadango :4metaknight::4mewtwo:, Haruki :4sheik:
D: Rain :4sheik::4cloud:, Pon :4ganondorf:
E: Nyanko :4sheik::4dk:
F: Kirihara :rosalina:, YOC :4sonic:, Gomamugitya :4lucario:
G: Nietono :4diddy::substitute:, Dainosuke :4diddy:
H: taranito :4ness:, Kept :4villager:
I: Umeki :4peach:, El :rosalina:
J: Brood :4duckhunt:, Tsu- :4lucario:, Pasutaa :4pit:
K: KEN :4sonic:, Paseriman :4pit::4sheik:
L: Daiki :4megaman::4diddy:, Aiba :4yoshi:
M: Nasubi :4wario:, Kamemushi :4megaman::4cloud:, Tamanyaso :4mario:
N: Yui :4fox:, Salena :4metaknight:
O: Yuzu :rosalina:, Octo :4sonic:
P: T :4link:, Eim :4sheik:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
In approximately 3 hours (10:30 a.m. Tokyo time), qualifying rounds for the Umebura Genesis Cup should begin on SHI Gaming's channel. While this is a fairly small event (capped at 80 players), the majority of Kanto's top talent will be turning up, many of whom are seeking last-minute Genesis practice for both singles and doubles. Because they're running two events for a change, singles is projected to finish by 2:30 a.m EST, which is a nice change for those of you who live in the U.S. and don't want to stay up too late on a Sunday.

Aww I'm European so I'll miss out D:
At least SOMEONE brought a Kanto mon to a Kanto tournament

PStoken

Smash Rookie
NNID
Token31
Does anybody have moments when they are playing and they try to press a button but like they don't really press it and they hesitate like as if you are stuttering while talking converted to a video game...if that makes sense. Well, I have that problem and I think its due to a lack of input competence since it usually happens when im under pressure or focusing really hard on performing an input. I feel like its something I can't work on and get rid off. Any tips?
I'll go spanish because of your username,Me pasa lo mismo a veces, pero creo que es cuestion de seguir practicando, a veces pienso que mi cerebro no esta conectado bien con mis manos y entonces pienso en los inputs que falle y los practico despues, para que desarrolles la memoria muscular.
so just practice watever you notice you keep on missing, to develop musclememory.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild

What happened to Earth? Did some players drop out last minute?

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion

Too late? It's 2 in the morning, I coudn't watch that! (I guess western USA, such as California, could watch it though)

Djent

Smash Champion
What happened to Earth? Did some players drop out last minute?
I'm guessing so, since he was on the applicant list. 'Tis a shame, but Paseriman can still hold it down for Pit.
Too late? It's 2 in the morning, I coudn't watch that! (I guess western USA, such as California, could watch it though)
Yeah, I forget that 2:30 is still rather late for diurnal folk.

Last edited:

LordWilliam1234

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
7820-3654-7995
Cloud has amazing dash specs on the ground and top 5 fox trots at least (discounting speed)
Late response, but:

Well, it's not specifically fox-trotting, but Cloud is tied for fastest dash in the game in terms of total frames. I did some research and found these numbers for characters who had dashes that are 24 frames or less:

Cloud: 17 frames
Lucario: 17 frames
G&W: 17 frames
ZSS: 19 frames
Diddy: 19 frames
Fox: 21 frames
Sheik: 21 frames
Mario: 21 frames
Dr. Mario: 21 frames
Luigi: 21 frames
Peach: 21 frames
Rosalina: 21 frames
Mewtwo: 21 frames
ROB: 21 frames
Olimar: 21 frames
Falco: 22 frames
Dedede: 23 frames
Zelda: 24 frames
Kirby: 24 frames

So with Cloud, if you tap forward to dash, and immediately return to neutral, you can perform any action on frame 18 (normal moves won't result in a dash attack).

No one's faster than Cloud in that regard, and only 2 characters tie him, with Cloud getting the most distance compared to Lucario or G&W. So he not only has a good fox-trot, but he can also dash back after dashing forward as a feint without going into a slide first, as well as just continually dashing forward. Unlike characters like Ryu or Little Mac who have good fox-trots but terrible endlag on their dashes (though Ryu's run to shield is pretty good). Personally I think he probably has the best fox-trot in the game thanks to this.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I would agree with others that Samus does well against Ness. Her uair cancels Ness' up b when getting juggled, missiles are actually good against him, he struggles really hard getting through zair/ftilt/utilt/nair, can't combo Samus very well, and like a lot of other characters are able to do, Samus can gimp him well. Ness' up sides are the typical ones he has, air dodge and bthrow among other things. Depth has great results against Florida Ness players, I might even be inclined to say Samus has an advantage in the MU. Samus does well against most slow characters who can't break her zoning, like Luigi.

Her MUs against Peach, DK, and Ryu are good, for similar reasons that she does well against Luigi and Ness, they struggle to get in. It sounds like a simple/not good enough reason, but that's the argument Luigi mains used to make (and probably why their MU thread has Luigi beating Samus 65:35...), but it's actually pretty bad for the opponent. I haven't seen a whole lot of Ryu vs Samus, but by what I have seen/my own experiences, I can't see it being worse than even. Looking at MUs Ryu struggles with, like Mega Man, I wouldn't be surprised if Samus actually has an advantage against Ryu, since Mega and Samus do well against similar characters for similar reasons.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I would agree with others that Samus does well against Ness. Her uair cancels Ness' up b when getting juggled, missiles are actually good against him, he struggles really hard getting through zair/ftilt/utilt/nair, can't combo Samus very well, and like a lot of other characters are able to do, Samus can gimp him well. Ness' up sides are the typical ones he has, air dodge and bthrow among other things. Depth has great results against Florida Ness players, I might even be inclined to say Samus has an advantage in the MU. Samus does well against most slow characters who can't break her zoning, like Luigi.

Her MUs against Peach, DK, and Ryu are good, for similar reasons that she does well against Luigi and Ness, they struggle to get in. It sounds like a simple/not good enough reason, but that's the argument Luigi mains used to make (and probably why their MU thread has Luigi beating Samus 65:35...). I haven't seen a whole lot of Ryu vs Samus, but by what I have seen/my own experiences, I can't see it being worse than even. Looking at MUs Ryu struggles with, like Mega Man, I wouldn't be surprised if Samus actually has an advantage against Ryu, since Mega and Samus do well against similar characters for similar reasons.
Didn't the Luigi boards say they win because cyclone goes thru missiles? Silly reasoning, but still?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Doesn't Cyclone have endlag that you could exploit with a grab?

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Didn't the Luigi boards say they win because cyclone goes thru missiles? Silly reasoning, but still?

They were really resistant to the idea of their (then) top tier losing to a low tier. It looked bad for the character (and was bad for the character). Their arguments were: 1) Samus is Spamus so we shut her missiles down with cyclone, therefore shutting down the character. 2) Zair will hit us but our fireball will hit her too, so we shut her zoning down. 3) Nair breaks her combos. On the flip side, Samus forces him to approach (mostly with CS charging and long range missiles) and wrecks Luigi midrange, his only real option being fireball, and CS wrecks him if he fireballs. CS is like the bane of his existence. Bad combos by Samus will get naired, but when she wins neutral, edge guards him, etc, it doesn't matter as much. Missiles only get punished if we use them midrange, and why would we use missiles midrange?

Last edited:

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
They were really resistant to the idea of their (then) top tier losing to a low tier. It looked bad for the character (and was bad for the character). Their arguments were: 1) Samus is Spamus so we shut her missiles down with cyclone, therefore shutting down the character. 2) Zair will hit us but our fireball will hit her too, so we shut her zoning down. 3) Nair breaks her combos. On the flip side, Samus forces him to approach (mostly with CS charging and long range missiles) and wrecks Luigi midrange, his only real option being fireball, and CS wrecks him if he fireballs. CS is like the bane of his existence. Bad combos by Samus will get naired, but when she wins neutral, edge guards him, etc, it doesn't matter as much. Missiles only get punished if we use them midrange, and why would we use missiles midrange?
Yeah I personally feel like luigi loses this matchup

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sonic and Fuerte are about Spin Dash/Habanero Dash mixups, so the comparison still applies.

Wario is more like Rufus with a chomp instead of a dive kick.
Fixed.

Although Speeding Bike is a lot like dive kick in terms of followup potential. And the two even have strong forward throws.
Mario is Ken (focus on multihits, weaker projectile game), Dr. Mario would be Ryu if Ryu wasn't in the game, and Luigi is Dan Hibiki, except good (even has a damaging taunt).

As for other comparisons that haven't been mentioned...

Little Mac is a Dudley/Balrog hybrid.

Meta Knight is Vega.

Greninja is Ibuki.

Pikachu is Blanka with crouching nonsense and harassing with a dash move.

Shulk is closest to Gen.

Cloud actually reminds me a little of M. Bison.

Mewtwo I actually kind of see as Dhalsim, except less extreme range for more firepower (baby Shadow Ball as Yoga Fire, usmash is Yoga Blast, and dsmash is Yoga Flame). So, more like SFV Dhalsim.

And finally when she comes out, Bayonetta will be like Dante from Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Late response, but:

Well, it's not specifically fox-trotting, but Cloud is tied for fastest dash in the game in terms of total frames. I did some research and found these numbers for characters who had dashes that are 24 frames or less:

Cloud: 17 frames
Lucario: 17 frames
G&W: 17 frames
ZSS: 19 frames
Diddy: 19 frames
Fox: 21 frames
Sheik: 21 frames
Mario: 21 frames
Dr. Mario: 21 frames
Luigi: 21 frames
Peach: 21 frames
Rosalina: 21 frames
Mewtwo: 21 frames
ROB: 21 frames
Olimar: 21 frames
Falco: 22 frames
Dedede: 23 frames
Zelda: 24 frames
Kirby: 24 frames

So with Cloud, if you tap forward to dash, and immediately return to neutral, you can perform any action on frame 18 (normal moves won't result in a dash attack).

No one's faster than Cloud in that regard, and only 2 characters tie him, with Cloud getting the most distance compared to Lucario or G&W. So he not only has a good fox-trot, but he can also dash back after dashing forward as a feint without going into a slide first, as well as just continually dashing forward. Unlike characters like Ryu or Little Mac who have good fox-trots but terrible endlag on their dashes (though Ryu's run to shield is pretty good). Personally I think he probably has the best fox-trot in the game thanks to this.
Nice, LordWilliam. Do you know Cloud's initial dash speed? That's what I meant when I mentioned speed in that post. Cloud's specs with fox trot, dash->shield, perfect pivot, etc. are all great/respectable. I don't think Cloud's dash is as dangerous as some other characters out of a dash since he doesn't blow you up from a single dash attack or grab, but any character would drool to have that dash frame data.

Limit Climhazzard:
Very good at the beginning with some invincibility frames 5-12, but it soon loses its hitbox after 9 or so frames. If Cloud isn't careful and just upBs from a significant distance, he can be hit out of it. Drill dairs have an especially easy time.

Cloud then has to try to mix things up with an earlier limit climhazzard or using limit side/neutral B with aerials to prevent opponents from hitting him. You can even hit him before the hitbox comes out (thus losing limit). If Cloud hits you with it, he can possibly combo after snapping to the ledge, but that's it. It's worth it to pressure him even when he has limit upB.

Limit Cross Slash:
26 damage and -9 on shield drop. That's not enough for most characters to punish. Some may barely be able to if the dash+shield momentum counteracted the limit cross slash.

Limit cross slash hits on frames 10/14/22/25/37. You can only reliably spot dodge and roll after the 4th hit (may need a bit more testing to be 100% sure), possibly getting a light punish. It may be worth the risk at lower %, since you will only take like 10-13 damage if you could land the grab. Overall, this isn't going to get punished often blocked unless the Cloud made it very obvious.

I think with time that people will dodge inbetween hits and punish poor usage of this attack. The others are pretty straightforward to deal with, though both are still dangerous. Dealing with limit climhazzard and limit cross slash effectively will help against most Clouds out there. Hopefully, it gets to the point where Cloud players will opt to save their limit break options for proper setups. Limit cross slash does appear just that safe right now, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom