• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.::Captain Douglas Falcon::.

The Star King

Smash Hero
So since nobody answers, I'll try answering myself and hopefully people will tell me if it is the right method or not.

To run off from platform and fast fall fair/bair I do the following (initial position being on the platform): smash left (or right) to run off (stick goes back to original position), smash down left (or down right) and a to fast fall fair/bair. With this method I can maybe do it 5% of the time, compared to 1% with other methods (such as sliding from left to down to left again or from left to down left).
This actually helped me lol, I didn't know you can fastfall, yet get a fair if you press A, with a diagonal input on controller. Thanks.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Lol no problem. That's what I use for stick jump uair -> fast fall bair/fair and it works pretty acurately. But for some reason I can't get it consistantly from a platform run off and apparently it isn't a good method according to clubba. I'd like to hear other opinions, especially from those who use that a lot.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I'm not sure I understand the issue. Can't you just run off, then fastfall, then fair/bair? Like 3 separate joystick inputs? Dash, FF, direction? I don't think I've ever had a problem with this, and any issues I have with quick fastfalls is always related to landing the zcancel. Is it just that the aerials aren't coming out in time?

Sangoku

Smash Master
Multiple cases scenario:
1) No fast fall
2) Aerial doesn't come out in time (most often)
3) Miss z-cancel (rare)

Basically I feel I need to be very quick and I'm not a fast player (can't tornado rise with Mario for example), so I thought reducing the number of inputs would help. I have maybe spent 15 minutes in training mode in total, so maybe I just need more training, but I really feel there's no improvement.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Hmmm maybe it would be good practice to go to the right sight of hyrule since its a bit higher than DL plats. Once you have that down easy you can progress to DL, or there might even be an intermediate height between 2 of the platforms on Yoshi's Island worth practicing on? Maybe a gradually approach like this will help you out and it will probably allow you to at least see results on the larger heights.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yeah, Hyrule's right side is easier, although far from perfect. By the way, do you mean pressing down and sliding to side? Or down, neutral, side? And do you go all the way to a direction (down or side)?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Ok wow apparently my memory of this game is very bad. I haven't been playing much lately and I just picked up the sticks to try this out and... yea pretty hard lol. I had decent success using the diagonal method where you push the joystick at an angle such that you fastfall and put out an aerial in that side direction when you press A. Fair is much easier than bair. Pivoting off the ledge into FF fair is so sexy. So yea for some reason I thought this was much easier, turns out I lied haha

Sangoku

Smash Master
Lol that's reassuring. I was starting to think I really had a problem. Then I'll continue trying the diagonal method, unless someone else has something to add. I would still like to hear other inputs.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
In general of course they are useful, but from the low platform on DL I never see it done.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Maybe but "the tech" Sangoku described can be used for getting fastfall fairs/bairs out quickly in general, right? I thought that's what you meant.

Fullhop uair fastfall first hit fair is a staple of my Falcon's combo game for example (probably the most unique thing about it I guess), but I found it annoying to do on controller. Sangoku's trick is gonna help.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
In the situation when I f-throw a Kirby at 0% on dreamland towards the center of the stage and the Kirby gets a free tech on top platform, how should I be following up?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I know there is a simple follow up to this but I can't remember what it is, I need to play more.

Double jump to plat and regrab? DJ to dair to regrab? Just don't try to aerial from below the platform since you prolly can't continue the combo after that. I think that works idk

mixa

Banned via Warnings
[collapse=be faster]
[/collapse]

but good question, pretty much what I ask myself when thinking about combos, I'd like to know what can be done too.
I was going to practice the timing of the tech, but the auto-tech cheat doesn't work for me in that scenario.

Frame data note:​

• if they tech in place and buffer shield, they'll be vulnerable for 2 frames between the tech and the shield.
• if tech-roll and buffer shield, vulnerable for 20 frames between tech-roll and shield.
tech in place gives 24 frames of intangibility, tech-roll gives 20.

@clubba, regrabbing is bad. I couldn't do anything after it. there is no room to pivot/run jump.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

late edit: http://youtu.be/tA4AHXIVNsg

hitting that first Uair with the C-jump is a lot harder than with the stick jump.

(lazy) gif showing a tech-in-place with shield buffered: http://i.imgur.com/sipYfGu.gif

SSBPete

Smash Lord
to practice fastfalls off DL platforms use characters such as luigi, kirby and jiggs because they have low vertical air speed

use nair to start off with as it comes out quickly and has less inputs. its also very useful in game because of it's range

then start using faster characters and different aerial attacks

remember if you have a garentueed hit, it's easy to z-cancel because of the hitlag, so just go for it

also it's quite good to practice with ness because uair and dair don't require z-canceling so you can focus on your other inputs

with regards to my inputs, i'll have to check tonight. i don't think about my hand movements, it's just natural

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
just realized this is something Ive been missing. Imma have to practice some of this later on. Hope to see more input on it!

Pfrog

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have tips to landing the final Doug Hug on a combo? I always seem to Uair them out of reach.
Also can anyone recommend a good guide for Falcon? This one by AA was the best I could find.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
if you think you're U airing them out of reach then do 1 less U air, or time your u air more apart so you're closer to the ground.

Pfrog

Smash Rookie
If you miss a grab do you usually try again or dash away or something else? I try to not miss, obviously, but sometimes I anticipate wrong or get to close to the other player.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I probably grab a bit too much. Depending on how close you are, I'm not exactly sure if turning around for a dash would change your hurtbox enough that you might get grabbed, but it's a possibility. Another well timed dash grab might be good, but in other situations just running away completely might be good. Depends on the situation and the opponent, in my opinion.

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
i always use grabbing for precision spacing. stopping a dash or starting a slow walk... but the latter is probably only useful for kb players lol

Maliki

Smash Ace
If you miss a grab you can try to up smash or pivot away and go for it again. Or as breakthrough said you can run away and start spacing.

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
I'm Newish to smash 64 I really want main Calcium Falchion but like Idk what to really practice with him like i'm able to like 4 out of 5 stock lvl 9s and stuff but like what are some combos i should work on, what match ups should i watch out for and how can i improve my overall stage movement?

Madao

I'm Newish to smash 64 I really want main Calcium Falchion but like Idk what to really practice with him like i'm able to like 4 out of 5 stock lvl 9s and stuff but like what are some combos i should work on, what match ups should i watch out for and how can i improve my overall stage movement?
I'm a Falcon main myself, although I'm not super pro. I just started practicing 1 vs 3 lv 9 cpu's this week and I already see a big difference. I used to practice 1 vs 2 cpus.
For combos, practice grabs, Up Smash, and aerial attacks. If you want to be fancy, you can practice falcon punch and Up B too. If you like to practice in training mode and have a gameshark, I recommend you set the cpu to lv 9. For match ups, I recommend you just look at the tier list and practice vs the top 6 characters and focus on the ones that give you the hardest time. At the same time, it's good to practice against all characters, so try to be well balanced.
Another important thing to practice is edge guarding.

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
I'm a Falcon main myself, although I'm not super pro. I just started practicing 1 vs 3 lv 9 cpu's this week and I already see a big difference. I used to practice 1 vs 2 cpus.
For combos, practice grabs, Up Smash, and aerial attacks. If you want to be fancy, you can practice falcon punch and Up B too. If you like to practice in training mode and have a gameshark, I recommend you set the cpu to lv 9. For match ups, I recommend you just look at the tier list and practice vs the top 6 characters and focus on the ones that give you the hardest time. At the same time, it's good to practice against all characters, so try to be well balanced.
Thank you I appreciate it :)

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
Just beat Mario and Kirby on blue team by myself im so proud XD

You're welcome :) . Do you have a gameshark? I forgot to mention that playing in hitbox mode really helps as well. I mostly practice in Dream Land.
No i do not :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Training against one CPU is already a bad idea, so playing against multiple ones is really the worst thing you could do. Some things that work against a CPU don't work against a real player and some things that work against a real player don't work against a CPU. This will only result in you developping an anti-CPU playstyle completely inefficient against a human being. Simple examples: 1) Kirby's rock works everytime against a CPU and almost never (or really situationally) against a real player. 2) Spamming rolls to dodge attacks/move on the stage. And there are a lot more. If you played against real players (and good ones) often, then it wouldn't do much harm to play CPUs, but CPUs only is a bad idea.

I have no idea of your current level so I'll assume you're familiar with the advanced techniques (z-cancel, short hop, ...) and the terminology (bair, uair, ...). If you're not, please say so.

1) Combos. That's something you can train alone, in training mode. Watch out for the combo meter: it shouldn't reset in the middle of your combos. You want to mess around with uairs (try to land as much uairs as possible) and finish with an upb or dair off the stage. Try different variations to see what works depending on what character you're playing against and his percentage. Combos starters are usmash and fthrow. These are the most basic Falcon combos, once you're comfortable with that, you can try experimenting with more advanced stuff. Here's a good video with examples of combos. Try reproducing some of them.

2) Movement. You can also somewhat train that on your own. As Maliki said, learn how to fastfall from platforms into aerials, full hop aerial to fastfall aerial, shielddrop into fastfall aerials, etc. Learn how to pivot, how to pivot edgehog, how to pivot shielddrop.

3) Spacing. That's more difficult to learn on your own. It could be explained in words, but it wouldn't help much. The best thing to do is to play against good players. Either on console or online.

This is by no means exhaustive, it's just something to start off with. If you want more specific tips, you should provide videos of you (preferably against a good human player).

Sangoku

Smash Master
So thanks to EggSelent I can now post!

What is the easiest Falcon punch combo you guys know (0 to death)?

Mine is:
You're 1P vs 2P (Falcon) in Dreamland's initial position.

Go to the side platform, usmash twice while facing right, full jump double uair (stick jump works as well, you can throw a fastfall in between the uairs if you want), land, full jump fair, land on the top platform, run off the top platform uair, stick jump falcon punch.

It's the easiest because it's the only one I could get from the initial position.

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
For a while now I've been wanting to find a good use of crouch cancel in 64.
Ruoka crouches a lot on that top platform of DL. Maybe because he's cool, but maybe he's onto something.
I did a quick test and if you crouch at 0% on the top platform and another Falcon hits you with a rising uair, you'll be in considerable frame advantage.

Whatchu guys think? - If Boom happens to answer in the chat I don't mind the copy paste.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i've taken to crouching a hell of a lot ever since playing bombb and tacos a few months back, and it's saved me a lot

as for crouch canceling , i've been doing it when i have literally no offensive options - maybe my back is to the stage and i'm under a platform and falcon is coming in with a bair or something that i know my upb won't out prioritize (and i'd wind up getting hit and losing my jump), and shielding would just lead to a throw or a king funk or not a push off drop counter. i'll just brace for impact.

i think it's an unconscious thing now but if you find useful frame stuff i'd love to read it.

Top Bottom