• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.::Captain Douglas Falcon::.

Horseketchup

Smash Cadet
This doesn't seem ;like a very active thread anymore lol, but I've been trying this combo against pika that has seemed to work really well. Though the main person I practice with is more of a casual player so I'm not completely sure that this would work against a higher level pika with good DI. Anyway:

I land a grab against pika at 0%, on the ground somewhere around the inside edge of one of the side platforms (facing toward the ledge). So I fthrow, then shorthop forwards and catch him with a falling up air. Then I wait a moment until toward the end of hitstun, full hop and up air pika on the way up (sort of a late up air too so I'm barely catching him with it). He should be a bit below me and to the right when I reach the apex of my jump, so then I fastfall and catch pika with an up air on the way down. He should be at least a few character widths offstage at this point (depends on exactly where you grabbed him initially), so I simply turnaround and then shothop backward and dair him for a guaranteed kill.

I hope I explained that well enough lol. This only works obviously if you grab him close enough to the ledge so that you don't land on the platform after the fastfall, but even if you just barely land outside the platform pika should be far enough offstage that he can't DI into the stage or anything. The main reason this seems like a really good setup is that it doesn't seem like pika could DI out of the combo like he can sometimes out of other Falcon upair strings with good DI.

Being a bit above pika after the 2nd up air seems like it puts you in a position that you have some leeway to adjust for any variations in position that come from even good DI, as opposed to having to jump up to catch him with an upair where he might be able to just barely get far enough away to get out of hitstun and and up-b out. I practiced this a bunch with my friend and told him to DI in all different ways, but when I pulled it off with the right timing I could always hit him for the kill. Another advantage is that it keeps pika really low too, so you're less likely to be put into that position after a combo where pika is at too low % to die from an up-b, but also too high up for a dair to kil. After getting good with this, I really haven;t found a more reliable 0-to-death from landing a grab in that position.

Thoughts on this? Am I missing something here or is actually as good as I think is it?

Last edited:

Horseketchup

Smash Cadet
Thanks man, so would you consider this to be one of the better setups from this position? Like you said seems like it'd be easy to react to DI in and finish him off anyway with 2 upairs and an up-b.

In general do you find doing a falling sh upair after an fthrow good against pika at low percents?

Also heres an example gif i recorded yest against a computer was gonna edit it into my post but forgot:

http://gfycat.com/NextRashAmericanrobin

(did the dair a bit late but i think pika was still in hitstun)

Last edited:
Top Bottom