• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.::Captain Douglas Falcon::.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i suppose that works...

see, i want to learn falcon, but i just don't want to be a falcon that just uses usmash uairx8 up b winner.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
also a very effective way of playing (against heavies at least)

and you can't possibly expect to be a good falcon without learning the basics

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
If you're a falcon and you are avoiding Uair chains you are not trying to win.

Uair combos (unless facing one of the few crazy people online) generally cant be escaped and do a LOT of damage (on DL its easy to 0-death with Uair chains-->UpB/Dair)

This is a consistent way to hurt and take stocks. It's not complicated therefore is harder to mess up.

SH Uairs in these chains always looks sexy. And once you get really good at them, start trying to throw in a FP at the end...makes for a sexy and easy finisher :) (Uair-->FP i mean)

dandan

Smash Lord
Uair combos (unless facing one of the few crazy people online) generally cant be escaped and do a LOT of damage (on DL its easy to 0-death with Uair chains-->UpB/Dair)
at low % i find it really easy to di down from the uair and if the person does not ff uair me, he usually does not have enough time to hit me before i land.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
at low % i find it really easy to di down from the uair and if the person does not ff uair me, he usually does not have enough time to hit me before i land.
hax KB DI is hax. try to DI on the console. You simply CAN'T escape falcon uairs (unless the falcon really sux)

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
IMO the pivot is very underutilized by Falcon players in general. It should be used in the obvious cases such as fthrow -> pivot -> reverse uair and doing pivot fsmashes to counter people jumping up from hanging on a ledge but it can also help with spacing a lot more than people give it credit for. I've been incorporating it into my game a lot more and it does wonders for being able to get out of the way of attacks and then follow up with a grab.

rpotts

Smash Lord
IMO the pivot is very underutilized by Falcon players in general. It should be used in the obvious cases such as fthrow -> pivot -> reverse uair and doing pivot fsmashes to counter people jumping up from hanging on a ledge but it can also help with spacing a lot more than people give it credit for. I've been incorporating it into my game a lot more and it does wonders for being able to get out of the way of attacks and then follow up with a grab.
show me a good falcon that doesn't pivot.

I use it in the examples you posted + tons more all the time.

I like to fthrow -> pivot bair at low percents against heavies.

against noobs who use slow smashes to edgeguard i like to roll in from ledge -> pivot fsmash

gentleman -> pivot grab is **** at high damages. or just the first two jabs. Yea now that i think about it the gentleman has set kb (rite?) and prolly wouldn't combo into pivot grab. But you can still do it. ****

fthrow -> double pivot regrab, or, fthrow -> pivot -> dash grab on heavies at 0%

I like to pivot off stage to, either to edgehog or to pivot bair or something.

edit: apparently **** is banned but tit is not.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
best falcon starter:
fthrow, double pivot fthrow, double pivot usmash.
hey it looks cool.

and @ nixxon di'ing out of a low % falcon uair is eesy peesy. keyboard/console/controller it makes little difference

NixxxoN

Smash Master
and @ nixxon di'ing out of a low % falcon uair is eesy peesy. keyboard/console/controller it makes little difference
I was talking about uairs at the usual comboing % not at low %. Also as i said it depends of the falcons hability to adapt to the DI too... But in general its pretty **** hard with a 64 controller

blaze3927

Smash Ace
I was talking about uairs at the usual comboing % not at low %. Also as i said it depends of the falcons hability to adapt to the DI too... But in general its pretty **** hard with a 64 controller
LOL

you were responding to Dandan's comment which was talking about low% di

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Lol okay I got pwned, thats what you get when you discuss and reply from one day to another :glare:
But still, whats that "low % uair DI" range? lets say... from 0% to 15% maximum... What are the odds of you getting uaired at 0%? Very few to none.

B Link

Smash Lord
i would like to know what chars and at what percents u can do uair > jump > falcon punch (w/o landing on platform). at first I thought it only worked in the japanese version but then i saw zenyore do it on a DK i think. I don't know if his opponent just Di'ed wrong though.

all i know is your first jump needs to be diagonal, to let u come close enough to do the 2nd jump > falcon punch

rpotts

Smash Lord
Uair --> FP works on all heavies in my experience (Falcon, Link, Yoshi, DK and Fox)

Actually im pretty sure it works on everyone except Jiggly xD

Not Sure about the %s though. I think the heavies get hit between 75-90% IIRC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyDZ-y_Qq9E
thats not what they were talking about. They're talking about uair -> double jump falcon punch, staying aerial the whole time. Something I wish I could do but never finished, I only get in the right position by the time my uair is stale, usually. Looks really cool and imo is harder than the uair -> land -> fh falcon punch you posted, which I can do.

EDIT: wait wait i guess I was wrong, I interpreted it this way because of B Link saying
"without landing on a platform" but the vid ballin posted doesn't contain the uair->dj fp like I was talking about, another one of his vids does though, i'm almost positive.

my bad

all i know is your first jump needs to be diagonal, to let u come close enough to do the 2nd jump > falcon punch
I don't understand this. I understand how holding the stick over/neutral effects the jump height.

EDIT2: This is what I thought B Link was talking bout. alancitu combo that starts AND ends with a falcon punch

ballin4life

Smash Hero

Smash Lord
I played one of my friends on Peach's Castle a few days ago and had a rough time trying to approach an egg happy Yoshi. Are there any things I might be doing wrong or should be doing to make my life easier.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
I played one of my friends on Peach's Castle a few days ago and had a rough time trying to approach an egg happy Yoshi. Are there any things I might be doing wrong or should be doing to make my life easier.
Yeah, yourrunning really fast at him in the same line of sight as his eggs. If you mix up your path that you take to get there, and shield correctly, eggs aren't that good for the defense. The more predicable you are, the better projectiles limit your game, so use that speed and go around him or something.

I don't know specifically how eggs are hurting you on peach's castle to the point of seeking out the answer, but know that peach's castle isn't that good for falcon anyway...... mmehh, no edges mean no way to recover like that. kind of how the stage plays..... give that its the only one without em.

Smash Lord
Yeah, yourrunning really fast at him in the same line of sight as his eggs. If you mix up your path that you take to get there, and shield correctly, eggs aren't that good for the defense. The more predicable you are, the better projectiles limit your game, so use that speed and go around him or something.

I don't know specifically how eggs are hurting you on peach's castle to the point of seeking out the answer, but know that peach's castle isn't that good for falcon anyway...... mmehh, no edges mean no way to recover like that. kind of how the stage plays..... give that its the only one without em.
I know that it's a bad stage for falcon. This makes it a counterpick vs. falcon and a stage I need practice on.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I guess you'll need to utilize both levels in your movement. His eggs can't cover both the top and bottom at the same time, regardless of where he's standing. If he's on the bottom. Bait him into throwing an egg toward the top or bottom, and then charge in from the opposite level. Dash dancing can be very useful here for confusion and baiting.

And if he's on the top, then approaching should be cake, especially for Falcon's perfect range on moves like Up+Smash that reach above platforms.

Falcon's fast; much faster than your opponent can think and react with eggs, so use that to your advantage.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Any combos that end with an upb from the ground? Specifically, taking advantage of the extra height the Doug Hug gets when launching from the ground (like the case with Samus's upb).

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Any combos that end with an upb from the ground? Specifically, taking advantage of the extra height the Doug Hug gets when launching from the ground (like the case with Samus's upb).
at lower percents, forgot exactly when, you can up air and then go to the group and up b.

You can also do it using the platforms on Peach's castle where you just u-air from the lower platform and just up b afterwards.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
fair into running upb?
Sounds like it could look really cool. I'll try this out on some opponents.

at lower percents, forgot exactly when, you can up air and then go to the group and up b.

You can also do it using the platforms on Peach's castle where you just u-air from the lower platform and just up b afterwards.
In your lower percents example, in that same situation you could also end it with a jump to falcon punch, right? Though perhaps the upb covers more DI options.

Top Bottom