• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I agree.

I would be most content with Lucas and Wolf, though.

Why the other cuts don't bother me as much as those two:
- Snake: Always feared he would be cut given his third party status. Sonic returning was actually a surprise to me. Of course, we also have Mega Man and Pac-Man. We had two third party franchises in Brawl and now we have 3.
- Ice Climbers: Info and rumors about difficulty on implementing them on the 3DS existed and I braced for the worst. Plus, Duck Hunt Duo is a retro character, so there's no reduction on the number of retros: 3 in Brawl, 3 in Smash 4.
- Ivysaur, Squirtle: I thought their chances lowered with transformations being gone and Charizard going solo. Plus, Greninja and Mewtwo DLC kind of fill the void left by them, as we have 6 different playable Pokémon in both Brawl and this game.

Wolf and Lucas don't have any "replacement" (figuratively speaking). There were no new Star Fox and EarthBound characters, so those cuts feel a lot harsher. It's back to how things were in Melee for those series, so it feels like a downgrade.

This is not to diss on the other veterans. The more, the merrier, after all. I just feel that Wolf and Lucas should be the top characters for DLC after Mewtwo.

On Wolf's Final Smash, how would you feel if he got a new Final Smash involving the Wolfen, but was cloned from Zero Suit Samus's Final Smash? (Kind of like what happens with Zelda and Dark Pit, as they use different weapons, but the attacks are functionally the same.)
Me too, I'll be content with just the veterans. There's no good reason why Wolf and Lucas can't be DLC. There are newcomers I want,but as long as I have all my vets from brawl,(my signature) I'm good. This game is better than brawl in so many ways, and two cut melee vets are back, so why exclude two brawl vets who deserve to be in. You can't only do one character DLC, that just sends the message that "hey we're doing character DLC for Smash Bros,but Mewtwo's the only character, guess you'll have to hope we decide to include more vets, otherwise have fun waiting years just to see if there's a new smash game, and if that character even comes back" I'm pretty sure Wolf and Lucas will be DLC, otherwise the bonehead who decides not to do Wolf and Lucas DLC will be thrown in a mental institute.
That's why we should focus most of our efforts on getting the veterans back first, they have fanbases and were in previous smash games. Lucas and Wolf are pretty much the only unjustified cuts. We must campaign for them
#WOLFBOARDS
#LUCASBOARDS

WOLF FOR DLC :wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Wolf was the only clone that was unique enough to not actually be a clone. It's still weird he's gone... I missed being able to use I-frames on Down B as a pseudo counter.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
Wolf was the only clone that was unique enough to not actually be a clone. It's still weird he's gone... I missed being able to use I-frames on Down B as a pseudo counter.
Lucas isn't a clone either you know...

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
I didn't play him to know enough. I just know I mained Wolf because he was ****ing amazing.
Wolf is indeed ****ing amazing, but yeah he's not the only clone who's not a clone. Lucas still has five of Ness's moves though as opposed to Wolf's none. But still.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Before you get your hopes up for DLC Sakurai already said there's no plan for DLC.
Can we trust the man who said Zero Suit Samus would not return... then confessed he was only kidding? More DLC is too big to just toss away, and they probably do have more plans for DLC, they just haven't talked about them. Stick till the end, Nintendo made us think Mario Maker was the only World premier, then at the end they showed Zelda U footage, and teased Star Fox U.

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
Can we trust the man who said Zero Suit Samus would not return... then confessed he was only kidding? More DLC is too big to just toss away, and they probably do have more plans for DLC, they just haven't talked about them. Stick till the end, Nintendo made us think Mario Maker was the only World premier, then at the end they showed Zelda U footage, and teased Star Fox U.
Good point, maybe he is just hiding DLC for later, kind of like what Mario Kart 8 team did. I do hope there is DLC after all, but it will take quite a long time for them to make new characters considering they take around 5 months.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Can we trust the man who said Zero Suit Samus would not return... then confessed he was only kidding?
He said he was only kidding literally one second after saying Zero Suit Samus was not coming back. He was not being serious when he said he cut Zero Suit Samus.

Did Sakurai say he was only kidding about DLC? He only announced DLC a month after Smash 3DS came out... that is like two years after saying he had no plans for DLC.

Big difference there.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Before you get your hopes up for DLC Sakurai already said there's no plan for DLC.
I would think Nintendo would have a thing or two to say about that. I mean yeah Sakurai does have some sort of say, but DLC characters, especially how Mewtwo just kinda came up, are more likely than not.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
Good point, maybe he is just hiding DLC for later, kind of like what Mario Kart 8 team did. I do hope there is DLC after all, but it will take quite a long time for them to make new characters considering they take around 5 months.
You should reread the interview, he was using business language.

What I saw when I read it was him more or less saying, 'it's something we know a lot of people want and I have ideas but if I said anything now it would look very greedy on our company's image since the game isnt even out yet.'

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think DLC is like a 99% chance

First of all there's isaac's seemingly random exclusion from the game, hell he doesn't even have a trophy

Wolf's theme being in the game 3 times

The noticeable lack of a new zelda rep

DK's lack of a new rep despite having 3 perfectly workable characters

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
I think DLC is like a 99% chance

First of all there's isaac's seemingly random exclusion from the game, hell he doesn't even have a trophy

Wolf's theme being in the game 3 times

The noticeable lack of a new zelda rep

DK's lack of a new rep despite having 3 perfectly workable characters
We haven't had a new Zelda rep since Melee (Toon Link is pretty much Young Link). GROOSE FOR SMASH!

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
I want to know: are you Wolf fans also are Starfox fans ? It could be great to speculate Wolf appearance in Starfox U and Starfox U in general, because I'm starting to get really scared for this game.

> Miyamoto show us nothing and yet it will come out before Zelda U and presumably before Xenoblade Chronicles X
> When he talks about Starfox U he always brings the gimmicky gyro controls of the Gamepad

What I'm scared is that I don't feel Miyamoto is taking this project seriously, and that he only uses Starfox U as an experiment because Nintendo demanded him to make a game about the Gamepad controls to show that the gamepad isn't useless.

I'm scared that after 9 years, Miyamoto uses the big name that is Starfox for a gimmicky and generic game and disappoint all of us, that he wastes all the potential that Starfox have to be one of the best game of 2015.

Wolf could really benefited from character development, he has so much potential for it:

- In 64, Wolf had an eye-patch. Nine years after Lylat Wars the events of Assault happen, and we see him with a cyborg eye. (For those who didn't know Wolf left eye isn't a scouter or anything, it's a cyborg eye, meaning he lost his original eye and had to replace it with a robot one. Meaning Wolf is an anthropomorphic mercenary cyborg wolf). It will be very interesting to see why Wolf had this theorized scar in the first place and why he had to literally change of eye and what are the effects of it. This could be a very deep and dark part of the story and could had to Wolf character a lot.

- Wolf true intentions, his involvement in James' death and his common past with Fox.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I want to know: are you Wolf fans also are Starfox fans ? It could be great to speculate Wolf appearance in Starfox U and Starfox U in general, because I'm starting to get really scared for this game.

> Miyamoto show us nothing and yet it will come out before Zelda U and presumably before Xenoblade Chronicles X
> When he talks about Starfox U he always brings the gimmicky gyro controls of the Gamepad

What I'm scared is that I don't feel Miyamoto is taking this project seriously, and that he only uses Starfox U as an experiment because Nintendo demanded him to make a game about the Gamepad controls to show that the gamepad isn't useless.

I'm scared that after 9 years, Miyamoto uses the big name that is Starfox for a gimmicky and generic game and disappoint all of us, that he wastes all the potential that Starfox have to be one of the best game of 2015.

Wolf could really benefited from character development, he has so much potential for it:

- In 64, Wolf had an eye-patch. Nine years after Lylat Wars the events of Assault happen, and we see him with a cyborg eye. (For those who didn't know Wolf left eye isn't a scouter or anything, it's a cyborg eye, meaning he lost his original eye and had to replace it with a robot one. Meaning Wolf is an anthropomorphic mercenary cyborg wolf). It will be very interesting to see why Wolf had this theorized scar in the first place and why he had to literally change of eye and what are the effects of it. This could be a very deep and dark part of the story and could had to Wolf character a lot.

- Wolf true intentions, his involvement in James' death and his common past with Fox.
Not to worry Wolf is apparently in the game, according to people who played it,http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/e3_2014_three_different_modes_detailed_for_star_fox_wii_u
So Sakurai, if Wolf is going to appear in a new Star Fox game for Wii U... then WHY THE **** DID YOU CUT HIM!?
ARE YOU DOING THIS ON PURPOSE?! OR ARE YOU PLANNING TO RELEASE WOLF AD DLC, I'LL BE HAPPY IF YOU BRING BACK WOLF VIA DLC.
You should reread the interview, he was using business language.

What I saw when I read it was him more or less saying, 'it's something we know a lot of people want and I have ideas but if I said anything now it would look very greedy on our company's image since the game isnt even out yet.'
So he technically has more plans for DLC, but isn't talking about them:smirk:

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
Not to worry Wolf is apparently in the game, according to people who played it,http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/e3_2014_three_different_modes_detailed_for_star_fox_wii_u
So Sakurai, if Wolf is going to appear in a new Star Fox game for Wii U... then WHY THE **** DID YOU CUT HIM!?
ARE YOU DOING THIS ON PURPOSE?! OR ARE YOU PLANNING TO RELEASE WOLF AD DLC, I'LL BE HAPPY IF YOU BRING BACK WOLF VIA DLC.

That's 100% what it sounded like to me. His word choice was very specific, phrasing it as being worried that they are taking content from the finished game to sell later (Capcom anyone?).

He seemed more worrie about that than saying 'no planned paid DLC'. Which is another thing, he says specifically in the interview he's not currently working on PAID DLC... Whether he's only working on Miiverse stage and Mewtwo, who can say? But you could read into it a bit more if you were being optimistic.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That's 100% what it sounded like to me. His word choice was very specific, phrasing it as being worried that they are taking content from the finished game to sell later (Capcom anyone?).

He seemed more worrie about that than saying 'no planned paid DLC'. Which is another thing, he says specifically in the interview he's not currently working on PAID DLC... Whether he's only working on Miiverse stage and Mewtwo, who can say? But you could read into it a bit more if you were being optimistic.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's just PR speak for "we're working on some concepts right now but nothing is finalised."

Can't spill the beans just yet with his PR speak, am I right?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
There must be more plans,but they aren't talking about them... yet.
WOLF FOR DLC:wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
>inb4 wolf is only for those who buy star fox u and super smash bros wii u and register them on club nintendo

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
>inb4 wolf is only for those who buy star fox u and super smash bros wii u and register them on club nintendo
I hate those type of things, but since Starfox U is my 2nd most awaited game of 2015 (My first is Xenoblade Chronicles X) I would still buy Starfox U regardless of an offer. But those type of offer is why I want to know if Wolf fans also are Starfox fans.

Literally a mode called "vs Wolf" ? That's big to have a character having his own mode, but I more think it's called like this because Miyamoto didn't finish Starfox U yet and that this mode will be called "Star Wolf mode" later. I hope the IA will be difficult and that the battle will be original with new ideas.

I would love that Starfox U had 2 main stories, with one controlling Fox (the Hero path) and the other being able to play as Wolf (Anti-Hero path) with new twists in the gameplay and more focused in the story with Wolf, because it would be pointless to have then 2 different modes that play the same.

There must be more plans,but they aren't talking about them... yet.
WOLF FOR DLC:wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since we're at it:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I think if that were true(is it?) they would probably have the option for you to pay for it if you don't have a club Nintendo account. Also my 1000th post, call me Smash Lord O'Donnell.
WOLF FOR DLC:wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
It'd be a nice thing to give wolf as a part of the Star Fox U game, but he should be purchasable normally too. It's sort of like rewarding people for being repeat customers though that might be a little predatory.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
"PLAYTIME'S OVER SAKURAI, I WILL BE DLC IN SUPER SMASH BROS FOR WII U AND 3DS!"
WOLF FOR DLC:wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Thought of a cool way to drum up more support for Wolf,
Call today at 1-800-Can't Let you Do That Sakurai, and get Wolf to pown Sakurai, for the low low cost of supporting him for DLC and telling your friends to support him. Wolf's Can't let you do that Sakurai service.
Wolf won't let Sakurai do that, unless he's adding him in as DLC, then Wolf will let him do that.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I have to ask, did anyone else find it weird seeing Wolf fighting with claws, seeing how he was never previously depicted with nor implied to have claws?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I have to ask, did anyone else find it weird seeing Wolf fighting with claws, seeing how he was never previously depicted with nor implied to have claws?
Actually in Star Fox Assault, its said that he gave Pigma those scratches on his head with his sharp claws, when he kicked him out of Star Wolf. Probably just hides them under those gloves. Still brawl Wolf is by far the best looking Wolf.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Actually in Star Fox Assault, its said that he gave Pigma those scratches on his head with his sharp claws, when he kicked him out of Star Wolf. Probably just hides them under those gloves. Still brawl Wolf is by far the best looking Wolf.
Ok, it's been awhile since I played Assault, I must have forgotten that that was said.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I've found a way to get alot of people crazy for Wolf.
What we should do is make a video based on the one in the spoilers featuring Wolf, after all, He just needs the sunglasses, and he's bad*** and cool at the same time.:shades: It would take major editing, or good gmod skills,but if it works brawl Wolf will be so cool, everyone will want him, Then all we have to do is show the video to Sakurai, and we won't be able to resist it, he'll say I have decided to put Wolf back into Smash Bros as DLC, and I'm even including a cool new alt costume for him as well. Just a crazy idea if you want to try it.:psycho::crazy::idea: (though it would be more fitting for Panther to sing it,but Wolf could pull it off, plus if he does, he would probably be a top tier character.) Well its late, if some of you seriously want to do this go ahead if not:ohwell: we go back to supporting Wolf the normal way:)

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Not at all. I think it embellished his character and demonstrated his feral, aggressive personality quite nicely.

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
I've found a way to get alot of people crazy for Wolf.
YOU POSTED THE VIDEO OF THE MIIVERSE GOD
LEO LUSTER IS LOVE
LEO LUSTER IS LIFE
LEO LUSTER FOR SMASH

Anyway, we could use SFM to do that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree.

I would be most content with Lucas and Wolf, though.

Why the other cuts don't bother me as much as those two:
- Snake: Always feared he would be cut given his third party status. Sonic returning was actually a surprise to me. Of course, we also have Mega Man and Pac-Man. We had two third party franchises in Brawl and now we have 3.
- Ice Climbers: Info and rumors about difficulty on implementing them on the 3DS existed and I braced for the worst. Plus, Duck Hunt Duo is a retro character, so there's no reduction on the number of retros: 3 in Brawl, 3 in Smash 4.
- Ivysaur, Squirtle: I thought their chances lowered with transformations being gone and Charizard going solo. Plus, Greninja and Mewtwo DLC kind of fill the void left by them, as we have 6 different playable Pokémon in both Brawl and this game.

Wolf and Lucas don't have any "replacement" (figuratively speaking). There were no new Star Fox and EarthBound characters, so those cuts feel a lot harsher. It's back to how things were in Melee for those series, so it feels like a downgrade.

This is not to diss on the other veterans. The more, the merrier, after all. I just feel that Wolf and Lucas should be the top characters for DLC after Mewtwo.

On Wolf's Final Smash, how would you feel if he got a new Final Smash involving the Wolfen, but was cloned from Zero Suit Samus's Final Smash? (Kind of like what happens with Zelda and Dark Pit, as they use different weapons, but the attacks are functionally the same.)
Agreeing with this fully. However, I think Sakurai probably felt worst about the cut of Ice Climbers, them being in 2 games and all... Being fully unique characters to, being the very first duo characters in the series, followed up by newcomers as Duck Hunt and Rosalina. They also have the most content from their series still intact, with enemies from Ice Climber running around for example... I feel that Sakurai might push for them more than any other cut veteran at this point. Unless Sakurai gets a hand of cash handed over by him by Konami to push for Snake's return. :smirk:

Anyway, am hoping to see Wolf return. I never saw him and Lucas much as cloney characters. Quite the opposite actually! They where a nice addition comparing to the lame Melee clones I felt. Whereas Dr.Mario and Mario only had major differences in their neutral B and F Air, Wolf and Lucas where almost completely unique from Fox and Ness outside of Specials being based of the other characters and sharing a Final Smash. Definitely a lot better than we have with Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr.Mario now... So I felt the cut of Lucas and Wolf, but bringing back Dr.Mario-like clones was a step in the wrong direction.

Add me to the supporters list please.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
An interesting thing I heard, apparently the Namco dev team who made Assault really liked Wolf, so if everyone making the game liked Wolf, why was he cut? and since he is so liked, don't you think they'd add him back in as DLC, the assault look could easily be an alt costume. WOLF FOR DLC:wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
An interesting thing I heard, apparently the Namco dev team who made Assault really liked Wolf, so if everyone making the game liked Wolf, why was he cut? and since he is so liked, don't you think they'd add him back in as DLC, the assault look could easily be an alt costume. WOLF FOR DLC:wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know now why he was the best character in Assault multiplayer.

Although, being canonically objective, It's understandable to see why he had the best stats of the bunch. Wolf has more experience than all of the others Starfox characters, he's been in more missions than any other, lived a hard life (lost his eye and presumably others things) and his more muscular than Fox and Falco.

Reminder that Wolf is 27 years old in Lylat Wars, at this time Fox was 18 and Falco 19. Since Wolf design in Brawl is based on his Assault look mixed with his Command design, we can assume that Wolf is 39-40 years old in Smash Bros. (Since Command take place 12 years later after Lylat Wars.)

Though he doesn't look that old, despite having his Assault / Command design I have always assume they used their Lylat Wars' ages in Smash Bros. Wolf looks like 27 years old to me in Smash Bros.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I know now why he was the best character in Assault multiplayer.

Although, being canonically objective, It's understandable to see why he had the best stats of the bunch. Wolf has more experience than all of the others Starfox characters, he's been in more missions than any other, lived a hard life (lost his eye and presumably others things) and his more muscular than Fox and Falco.

Reminder that Wolf is 27 years old in Lylat Wars, at this time Fox was 18 and Falco 19. Since Wolf design in Brawl is based on his Assault look mixed with his Command design, we can assume that Wolf is 39-40 years old in Smash Bros. (Since Command take place 12 years later after Lylat Wars.)

Though he doesn't look that old, despite having his Assault / Command design I have always assume they used their Lylat Wars' ages in Smash Bros. Wolf looks like 27 years old to me in Smash Bros.
Wolf is to Big Boss as Fox is to Solid Snake. Now, what does that make James? Naked Snake, the virtuous man before his downfall as Big Boss? The Boss, the legendary and loving soldier?

We know that Krystal would be Meryl, Panther is Vamp, Slippy is more like Johnny Sasaki in that he's like comic relief, R.O.B. is Otacon, Peppy is Kazuhira, General Pepper is Colonel Campbell, Pigma is the Fatman, Andross is Zero, and Andrew is Raiden. :p

That leaves Leon and Falco. Leon would be like... hmm... the characters that would fit this psychopath would be Sundowner, The Pain, Raiden as Jack the Ripper, and Volgin. Maybe Psycho Mantis? Falco would fit Ocelot or even Liquid.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...ayer-smash-originally-planned-for-melee-more/

Looks like more characters, such as Wolf, might be coming for DLC. They're "undecided" for now.
So Sakurai says no DLC, other than Mewtwo,but he will probably do more character DLC in the future:chuckle:. Oh yeah, things are looking good for Wolf, now Sakurai just needs to confirm him, which could take a while:glare:. Well when more DLC is announced, I say Wolf is next in line. WOLF FOR DLC:wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom