• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't think he did. He just said that Mewtwo is coming soon so wait until then.
I thought so.

Like I said on the last page, so this isn't missed by others, we should get others to buy the Mewtwo DLC to convince Sakurai to make more DLC, and perhaps get Wolf in the process.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I like it. Good Job on Beat. I can't draw birds from that angle. Reminds me of the drawing is started that had all of the cut veterans. I stopped because my pitiful attempt at drawing Snake ruined the rest of the picture. (Oddly enough Wolf looked better than Lucas and the Ice Climbers.)

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I want to make a Wolf Amiibo...... I really, really do.
But I need to know in advance will he return or if Star Fox U will give him one.
God damn it Sakurai tell me this and get it out of the way.
I am sick of waiting.
Bring Home The Veternas.
BHTV
Gotta love The Veternas.

:3

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
(Looks at Wintropy's spoiler box. Sees a smiley face.) Oh no! Now I know what happens at the end of ssb4's story mode! :p

Speaking of cut veterans. I decided to try again in drawing all of them in epic battle poses. I only have Pichu so far though. I'll show you Pichu in a minute, let me know if you have any suggestions on a pose for Wolf. (Or drawing tips. I'm not very confident that it will turn out well. I'll do my best though.)
Here is Pichu 14270720259022045638039.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Voss-Trikstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mikevoss7
3DS FC
4098-4453-7864
How about him howling? Or his "whats the matter, scared?" kick. Or him pointing his blaster at the artist. Or him Wolf Dashing someone. or his "I will be the one to take you down" winning pose.

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
#BringBackTheBrawlVeterans
(Sorry Roy fans, but I think all the cut characters from Melee that didn't return are redunant, pointless or both)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
@ Mike Voss-Trikstar Mike Voss-Trikstar Thanks. I think I'll put him next to Lucas. Unfortunately, Lucas looks terrible.

EDIT: All right Lucas looks much better. Now all I have to do is draw Wolf in his crouching stance looking like he wants to eat you, Roy standing behind Wolf and Lucas holding up his flaming-sword-that-I-don't-know-the-name-of, Squirtle and Ivysaur ready for battle, Young Link behind the two running into battle holding the Deku Mask, the Pokémon Trainer looking terrified and dropping two of his Poké Balls, Snake biting the pin off of a grenade, and the Ice Climbers dangling from a condor ready for battle. Oh boy. I really hope I didn't forget anyone.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Can someone link me to the page where these things are? I'm seeing them everywhere but cannot find them. And I thought Roy was pretty cool back in the day

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Roy is considered by many to be useless in his own game due to the fact he can only promote within the last couple of chapters in his game, IIRC.
I see. Now I see why he is useless. He was still a good Melee character, though he was not one of my mains.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I hope you don't mind me asking, but can you please tell me more about why?
Roy is a rather weak unit unit in his own game, unlike Ike who is a powerhouse and can practically clear maps solo in some of the later chapters. Most of Roy's fanbase is due to Melee and Project M.

It's kind of a double standard to be perfectly honest, as Marth is an even worse unit than Roy in his own games, but he's the sacred cow of the franchise.

:231:

Mike Voss-Trikstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mikevoss7
3DS FC
4098-4453-7864
Roy is a rather weak unit unit in his own game, unlike Ike who is a powerhouse and can practically clear maps solo in some of the later chapters. Most of Roy's fanbase is due to Melee and Project M.

It's kind of a double standard to be perfectly honest, as Marth is an even worse unit than Roy in his own games, but he's the sacred cow of the franchise.

Melee was used to promote Fire Emblem in countries where it wasn't initially released. When people played Melee, it made them want to find out more about Marth and Roy (mostly Marth) thus increasing the fanbase of Fire Emblem.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think Marth has the advantage of being the original and most iconic hero, though. Roy is kind of a spontaneous choice out of numerous potential candidates.

It was going to be Leif from FE5 in addition to Marth, if the old story is indeed true, and Roy was chosen to promote the then-new FE6 at Intelligent Systems' behest.

Even Marth had a contingency plan in place, as Sakurai wasn't sure if IS would let him use the character.

Kinda like how Falco was going to be Wolf, but Sakurai thought he and Fox would look too similar and would confuse players.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
:4darkpit: I had to.
I thought that would be brought up.

Graphical limitations would have been a factor in Melee, at least moreso than they are nowadays, and there's only so much you can do to distinguish Fox from Wolf with those scrunchy Gamecube-era pixels.

I don't think it would have been much of an issue, I'm sure it would be negligible, but considering Wolf is depicted in the opening cinematic as "grey Fox with an eyepatch", I get that Sakurai would be concerned that they look too similar.

Even so, Dark Pit has pretty prominent black wings in all of his palette swaps, whereas Pit's are white. Fox and Wolf in their Melee designs have no such distinguishing characteristics to set them apart.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Graphical limitations would have been a factor in Melee, at least moreso than they are nowadays, and there's only so much you can do to distinguish Fox from Wolf with those scrunchy Gamecube-era pixels.

I don't think it would have been much of an issue, I'm sure it would be negligible, but considering Wolf is depicted in the opening cinematic as "grey Fox with an eyepatch", I get that Sakurai would be concerned that they look too similar.

Even so, Dark Pit has pretty prominent black wings in all of his palette swaps, whereas Pit's are white. Fox and Wolf in their Melee designs have no such distinguishing characteristics to set them apart.
Eh, Pit and Dark Pit have alts of each other wear wings are pretty much the only difference, I am glad Wolf didn't become a cookie-cutter clone though

Dark Pit and wolf aren't comparable. Dark pit straight up was a costume. Then he got a free boost. Him looking similar was kind of the point.

wolf does look far more like fox than falco does though but that is obvious

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
In Melee, I agreed with Sakurai's reasoning on how Fox and Wolf would look too similar with Melee's engine. Falco made for a much more visually appealing and physically different character. Wolf in Brawl was a great idea because Brawl's engine was able to make Fox and Wolf different from each other through different models, textures, etc. There's literally no excuse for Dark Pit. Ugh... I miss Wolf... so, so bad.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
In Melee, I agreed with Sakurai's reasoning on how Fox and Wolf would look too similar with Melee's engine. Falco made for a much more visually appealing and physically different character. Wolf in Brawl was a great idea because Brawl's engine was able to make Fox and Wolf different from each other through different models, textures, etc. There's literally no excuse for Dark Pit. Ugh... I miss Wolf... so, so bad.
People who say there's no excuse for Dark Pit are deliberately ignoring the blindingly obvious rationale behind his addition.

Just sayin'.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
People who say there's no excuse for Dark Pit are deliberately ignoring the blindingly obvious rationale behind his addition.

Just sayin'.
Yes, because it's easier to add in clones than to put in unique characters, I get that. Also [ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37915502&postcount=7506 ]; apparently Sakurai stated that in Melee, he could've made King Dedede in the time it took him to add in the six clones (Pichu, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Roy, Ganondorf, and Falco). I also agree that it also makes the roster more visually appearing because of having more options/choices. I'm not blind, deaf, and incapable of understanding someone's reason, nor am I being ignorant and "deliberately ignoring" his reason. I understand to the fullest on his reasoning, but not all choices and opinions are perfect either. I feel that there are other routes he could've taken with this game.

Just sayin'

@N3ON makes them. :3
And thank-you kind sir. I've been looking for these. Neon does great work!

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yes, because it's easier to add in clones than to put in unique characters, I get that. Also [ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37915502&postcount=7506 ]; apparently Sakurai stated that in Melee, he could've made King Dedede in the time it took him to add in the six clones (Pichu, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Roy, Ganondorf, and Falco). I also agree that it also makes the roster more visually appearing because of having more options/choices. I'm not blind, deaf, and incapable of understanding someone's reason, nor am I being ignorant and "deliberately ignoring" his reason. I understand to the fullest on his reasoning, but not all choices and opinions are perfect either. I feel that there are other routes he could've taken with this game.

Just sayin'
You said there's "literally no excuse" for Dark Pit. That contradicts quite pointedly with your post here: to wit, that you understand his rationale, but don't agree with it.

It's not the sentiment I take issue with, it's the manner in which it's expressed. I respect your opinion if you don't like Dark Pit, but presenting the notion in such a hyperbolic (not to mention syntactically egregious) manner seems unnecessary.

A simple "I don't like Dark Pit" would have sufficed. No need to be overly emphatic about it, m'kay?

And thank-you kind sir. I've been looking for these. Neon does great work!
You're welcome, but I'm not a "sir".

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
You said there's "literally no excuse" for Dark Pit. That contradicts quite pointedly with your post here: to wit, that you understand his rationale, but don't agree with it.

It's not the sentiment I take issue with, it's the manner in which it's expressed. I respect your opinion if you don't like Dark Pit, but presenting the notion in such a hyperbolic (not to mention syntactically egregious) manner seems unnecessary.

A simple "I don't like Dark Pit" would have sufficed. No need to be overly emphatic about it, m'kay?

You're welcome, but I'm not a "sir".
Honestly, I just got heated with the "Just sayin'" -and in simple terms, I don't like Dark Pit, and that his reason is debatable. Also, the "Thank-you good sir" is just a quote. It meant no fixation on your gender. Regardless, apologies for getting a bit heated.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

To be fair, I think if players can distinguish Pit and Dark Pit on 3DS, they probably could distinguish Fox and Wolf on an early 2000's TV.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I can't distinguish the two when they are wearing black (for Pit) or white (for Dark Pit) garments. But they are similar enough that it doesn't really matter. Better to notice that what you thought was Pit was actually Dark Pit and vice versa midmatch than to realize that you are fighting Wolf instead of Fox midmatch. That said Wolf's stance and clothing is so different from Fox's that I think people would notice quickly.

Top Bottom