• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I could never do a chain grab, I think I got 3 grabs in a row once with ICies, that was it. So their removal means almost nothing to me. Does it mean ICies may go lower on the tier if they get back in? Maybe. But I'll play as/main a character if I want to, no matter what some tier list says.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I could never do a chain grab, I think I got 3 grabs in a row once with ICies, that was it. So their removal means almost nothing to me. Does it mean ICies may go lower on the tier if they get back in? Maybe. But I'll play as/main a character if I want to, no matter what some tier list says.
Sopo d-throw across stage was the easiest chain grab ever, and it was super fun. I'll still play as IC's, but it will definitely take something away from me if chain-grabbing, and desyncing are "fixed".

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
You know what kinda bugs me? It's something that I can't really take personally, but still. Does it bother anyone else when someone suggests a character duo for Smash 4 that's like the Ice Climbers, or god forbid a hypothetical replacement for them? It's not that I think their ideas are bad, it just wouldn't be right if another duo was added before the original duo returns. I see character suggestions like Jessie and James from Team Rocket, Captain Toad and Captain Toadette, and Bub and Bob from Bubble Bobble. Just... one step at a time please? Let's fix the dilemma with this duo before thinking about any more. Especially if they want them for Smash 4 with a less powerful handheld counterpart that "must" (according to Sakurai) be on equal grounds with its console counterpart.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
You know what kinda bugs me? It's something that I can't really take personally, but still. Does it bother anyone else when someone suggests a character duo for Smash 4 that's like the Ice Climbers, or god forbid a hypothetical replacement for them? It's not that I think their ideas are bad, it just wouldn't be right if another duo was added before the original duo returns. I see character suggestions like Jessie and James from Team Rocket, Captain Toad and Captain Toadette, and Bub and Bob from Bubble Bobble. Just... one step at a time please? Let's fix the dilemma with this duo before thinking about any more. Especially if they want them for Smash 4 with a less powerful handheld counterpart that "must" (according to Sakurai) be on equal grounds with its console counterpart.
I hate it too. I hate it when an original idea has to be copied in the first place. When Zelda was shown to transform into Sheik, I saw so many fake rosters add their own transformation characters; when Pokemon Trainer was revealed some wanted like 30 more types of trainers. No originality.

Ice Climbers bring a very unique dynamic, something that makes them special, and everyone wants to water it down until it means nothing. Hell, Sakurai himself almost ruined it with the scrapped Diddy/Dixie duo in Brawl, and possibly, Plusle and Minun too. It kills me.

Furret24

Smash Master
Judging by their mid-tier placements in Melee and Brawl before their infinite chain-grabs were discovered, I'd say yes.

Mariofan5000

Smash Rookie
NNID
mariofan5020
3DS FC
4828-7793-1290
I just voted on the ballot (is that still relevant?) with the meesage "Not only were they two time veterans, they were meant to be in this iteration of Smash as well, surely the 3DS problem can be fixed." After having voted Wolf and Pichu, I'm baffeled I didn't vote for ICies yet.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Alright guys, just an update on that tournament. I've confirmed that it will be on either Wednesday or Saturday, from 7:00pm to 8:30pm EST time, and will be points based. That's all. Sorry if both of those times are inconvenient for anyone. But I'm still not sure which day it will be, so look for that announcement soon. :)

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Random topic: Sopo's up b.

I think if Sopo ends up being a thing for DLC, the only significant change will be the recovery. I think the up b will end up being some kind grappling hook, and could work like ZSS's in Brawl.

Thoughts?

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
@ FunAtParties FunAtParties Ohh! Solo IC should have a grappling hook just like Link and Toon link. That would give them three recovery options: Side B, Up B, and Tether. And even then, buff sopo/sona's up-b recovery. Orr maybe have solo IC have their Up-B be just like ZSS's in Brawl, like you said. But I always did feel like the ICs had an awkward offensive game. So like, wouldn't it be kinda cool to have that sort of gimmick for them? Or maybe just a better projectile, and keep it like what you said about ZSS back in brawl.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
@ FunAtParties FunAtParties Ohh! Solo IC should have a grappling hook just like Link and Toon link. That would give them three recovery options: Side B, Up B, and Tether. And even then, buff sopo/sona's up-b recovery. Orr maybe have solo IC have their Up-B be just like ZSS's in Brawl, like you said. But I always did feel like the ICs had an awkward offensive game. So like, wouldn't it be kinda cool to have that sort of gimmick for them? Or maybe just a better projectile, and keep it like what you said about ZSS back in brawl.
What I was thinking is if you stay on stage and up b, Sopo will shoot a grappling hook straight above head. If you hit the opponent with the hook (last few frames of the attack) it'll spike. I think it's effects as an actual recovery can vary in a couple of ways also. If you do it close enough to the ledge, it will tether just like the Link's, the Samus', or Lucas'. If you do it off the ground, but nowhere near a ledge it will work similarly to how it does with 2 IC's (like a slingshot). Could buff their recovery significantly. Having some effect to be able to cancel it, and allowing the player to slightly control the direction in which you slingshot could also add a very interesting movement option.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
A tether grab for Ice Climber(s)? Duuuuuuude that would be so meta! I don't care how many Ice Climbers we'll be able to play as, that sounds like a really good idea to me. An alternate tether recovery and grab with a Zair that has a meteor sweet spot? I'd be hyped for something new like that. I would actually be in favor of an addition like that.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I've done that a few times actually, first time on accident though. Lol.

Mariofan5000

Smash Rookie
NNID
mariofan5020
3DS FC
4828-7793-1290
And now for something completely different:

On the Villager Support Subcommunity. They turned out better than I expected, given my hard time drawing on Miiverse.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm surprised at how well some people can draw on Miiverse. In real life, I can do some pretty neat stuff. But on Miiverse, ya...no. It just flat out stinks.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Another tournament update:

I'll be hosting it on Saturday, and custom fighters will (most likely) not be allowed.

Confirmed stuff: Saturday, 7pm-8:30pm EST time, points based.

The only two things I still need to do is come up with the password for it, and figure out if items will be allowed (the update on items will come in a few days, password on day of tournament, probably an hour or less before it begins). I understand a large part of the competitive community hates items, but I don't mind certain items. Basically, I'll decide whether or not they'll be on, and if they are, certain OP/useless/irritating items will be turned off. :)

Last edited:

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
I hope the smash team brings back the ICs, duo or not, and changes them up a bit. It'd be really fun, and cool to see. I like the idea of a grappling hook spiking. Solo IC isn't as terrible of an option as we thought! I wonder how Sakurai feels about changing a character like that, though. lol maybe he wouldn't count it as a change, since it would technically be a different character, "Ice Climber!" rather than "Ice Climbers!" xD

EDIT: Uh. I think I just realized that reworking their moveset and essentially making them a new character would really be the only way to justify making us pay for something that should have been in the game before it was released?? So a reworked solo IC might be the only viable option for ICs DLC.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I hope the smash team brings back the ICs, duo or not, and changes them up a bit. It'd be really fun, and cool to see. I like the idea of a grappling hook spiking. Solo IC isn't as terrible of an option as we thought! I wonder how Sakurai feels about changing a character like that, though. lol maybe he wouldn't count it as a change, since it would technically be a different character, "Ice Climber!" rather than "Ice Climbers!" xD

EDIT: Uh. I think I just realized that reworking their moveset and essentially making them a new character would really be the only way to justify making us pay for something that should have been in the game before it was released?? So a reworked solo IC might be the only viable option for ICs DLC.
ONLY viable option being a reworked solo IC?!?!?! Heck no! I like the ideas people have been coming up with, but really? ONLY VIABLE OPTION?!?!?! Ya, no. I'm pretty sure that, despite us knowing they were supposed to be in the game, if they were made DLC, people would pay to get them. I know I certainly would.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Another tournament update:

I'll be hosting it on Saturday, and custom fighters will (most likely) not be allowed.

Confirmed stuff: Saturday, 7pm-8:30pm EST time, points based.

The only two things I still need to do is come up with the password for it, and figure out if items will be allowed (the update on items will come in a few days, password on day of tournament, probably an hour or less before it begins). I understand a large part of the competitive community hates items, but I don't mind certain items. Basically, I'll decide whether or not they'll be on, and if they are, certain OP/useless/irritating items will be turned off. :)
As it is a tournament, it'd probably be better to play it safe and keep items disabled. People will want there to not be any distractions during the matches, and items are the ultimate distraction and can lead to some really cheap bull at times.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
As it is a tournament, it'd probably be better to play it safe and keep items disabled. People will want there to not be any distractions during the matches, and items are the ultimate distraction and can lead to some really cheap bull at times.
I'm thinking that too, which is why I'll be keeping those types of items off, if I turn any on at all.

However, there is no money prize for the winner, which is why I don't know how upsetting the items will be. And considering it is points based, there won't be any scenario where the match you're in is the Grand Finals and you lose because an opponent hit you with a blue shell. But nevertheless, I'm still thinking on whether items should be on.

Last edited:

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
ONLY viable option being a reworked solo IC?!?!?! Heck no! I like the ideas people have been coming up with, but really? ONLY VIABLE OPTION?!?!?! Ya, no. I'm pretty sure that, despite us knowing they were supposed to be in the game, if they were made DLC, people would pay to get them. I know I certainly would.
I suppose I did go a little far by saying that refined Sopo is the only way to go, but honestly would it be 'right' to charge people for something like that, or do we deserve the ICs from the beginning by purchasing the game!

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I hate DLC in general. Sure I've been rooting for it seeing that my 3 favorite characters (Mewtwo, Wolf, Ice Climbers) all didn't make the final cut (not to mention some of my most anticipated newcomers), but I always loved the fact that Nintendo used to like to release games "complete". This whole string of DLC, whether it's in the form of actual downloadable content or an Amiibo, is starting to make me feel like I'm being ripped off.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I hate DLC in general. Sure I've been rooting for it seeing that my 3 favorite characters (Mewtwo, Wolf, Ice Climbers) all didn't make the final cut (not to mention some of my most anticipated newcomers), but I always loved the fact that Nintendo used to like to release games "complete". This whole string of DLC, whether it's in the form of actual downloadable content or an Amiibo, is starting to make me feel like I'm being ripped off.
I blame the way the game industry is ever changing and the way games are being made differently as well as games becoming more expensive to produce pressuring companies to find more ways to make profit just to stay afloat. But I must say Smash is a prime example of good DLC to give 4 of my most wanted characters (Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, Lucas, Wolf) a second chance. Especially for ICies seeing that if it weren't for our requests being heard in this tight spot we're in, we'd have no choice but to wait at least half a decade. It's now for us to prove the worth once again of our beloved characters. And hopefully Sakurai will have a desire to offer appealing to us who are actually willing to compromise if necessary. Literally never before in my life have I ever heard anyone genuinely say "Nothing would be better than something." I believe that kind of statement and mentality does much more harm than good.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I blame the way the game industry is ever changing and the way games are being made differently as well as games becoming more expensive to produce pressuring companies to find more ways to make profit just to stay afloat. But I must say Smash is a prime example of good DLC to give 4 of my most wanted characters (Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, Lucas, Wolf) a second chance. Especially for ICies seeing that if it weren't for our requests being heard in this tight spot we're in, we'd have no choice but to wait at least half a decade. It's now for us to prove the worth once again of our beloved characters. And hopefully Sakurai will have a desire to offer appealing to us who are actually willing to compromise if necessary. Literally never before in my life have I ever heard anyone genuinely say "Nothing would be better than something." I believe that kind of statement and mentality does much more harm than good.
I don't blame the industry. Nintendo has put other companies down for not releasing "complete games" at it's launch, and yet they turn around and do the same exact thing. They aren't in a dire financial situation, they can afford to not screw their fans over 5$ at a time.

It's not like I'm saying that I don't want more characters, I do, but I also feel that most of these characters should already be in the game. Look at Mewtwo, he was easily a top 3 choice for Sm4sh, but he ended up getting in via DLC. Not the final roster nope, DLC. They even admitted they planned it. Five years ago, people were destroying Capcom for doing very similar things, but I guess it's cool when Nintendo does it.

Then there's the argument that they aren't in the game due to time constraints etc... Two things for that.
1) Mewtwo and Wolf (possibly Lucas and Roy) should've taken precedence over quite a few of the characters that ended up on the launch roster. There's no possible way to justify not putting the (arguably) most requested character on the starting roster, barring some type of technical reason (IC's, Ridley(but not really though)). Wolf proved his popularity in the Brawl polls, so it's not like he was some middling character no one cared about. Nintendo knew what they were doing when they didn't include them on the final roster.

2) If time constraints really were the issue, why not release the game and keep steady, FREE updates, like Splatoon. They can justify making us pay by saying "well we're just coming up with these names now", but to me that's just a massive f*** you to your entire fanbase, who's been repeating these names for the last 5 or so years. You don't need an official ballot to tell you that fans would want Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, IC's, and even Snake back, as well as wanting Ridley, K.Rool, Isaac, and many, many others in for the first time.

Maybe I should clarify, I don't like PAID DLC. Especially when, a lot of the characters we're paying for should damn well already be in the game already. We're all giving them a pass on this, because we want more characters, and we (presumably) love Nintendo, but what they're doing with this is just as scummy as Activision has been with their Destiny DLC, and how scummy Capcom was with MvC3, and I'm going to just act like it's a good thing just because.

Mariofan5000

Smash Rookie
NNID
mariofan5020
3DS FC
4828-7793-1290
Maybe I should clarify, I don't like PAID DLC. Especially when, a lot of the characters we're paying for should damn well already be in the game already. We're all giving them a pass on this, because we want more characters, and we (presumably) love Nintendo, but what they're doing with this is just as scummy as Activision has been with their Destiny DLC, and how scummy Capcom was with MvC3, and I'm going to just act like it's a good thing just because.
Especially scammy for those like me who are out of their supported regions, meaning that we can't even buy the DLC without outside help. And that is made even harder with the region lock. But appearently it's completely fine that we can play on DLC stages and/or against DLC characters online... The assets are in the update and you still have to buy the DLC to unlock it? That's exactly like on-disc DLC!

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Damn so holy crap, Sakurai acted like it was all good and there was no preplanned DLC... but he lied about that. Just so we could be distracted and think that he was just dropping neat little surprises on us when really he is doing just what he said he wouldn't do. ICs could have been a priority but apparently they were not. Lucas could have been developed but they put others in front--knowing people would buy lucas. And the same is probably going to apply to Wolf and gosh forbid the ICs. What is this sudden scandelousness we are unearthing!? Maybe they should have just been more upfront and charged us 80$ to get Smash--or tell us that's what we're expected to pay once all the content is out. Like, I love Smash Bros and would probably still pay it. But I'm starting to realize that the way they're approaching DLC is a little underhanded and shady, honestly? Sakurai needs to make some confessions as the development of Smash 4 comes to a close, cause suddenly I don't know if I can trust him. Nevermind all of the great surprises we've been getting, they're just slick ways of getting us to pay more for the game without letting us know ahead of time or without really telling us the truth about what's going on. I don't mind DLC really, but I do mind lying in order to maintain this sort of pure status that, in reality, is a facade.

Furret24

Smash Master
I don't blame the industry. Nintendo has put other companies down for not releasing "complete games" at it's launch, and yet they turn around and do the same exact thing. They aren't in a dire financial situation, they can afford to not screw their fans over 5$ at a time.

It's not like I'm saying that I don't want more characters, I do, but I also feel that most of these characters should already be in the game. Look at Mewtwo, he was easily a top 3 choice for Sm4sh, but he ended up getting in via DLC. Not the final roster nope, DLC. They even admitted they planned it. Five years ago, people were destroying Capcom for doing very similar things, but I guess it's cool when Nintendo does it.

Then there's the argument that they aren't in the game due to time constraints etc... Two things for that.
1) Mewtwo and Wolf (possibly Lucas and Roy) should've taken precedence over quite a few of the characters that ended up on the launch roster. There's no possible way to justify not putting the (arguably) most requested character on the starting roster, barring some type of technical reason (IC's, Ridley(but not really though)). Wolf proved his popularity in the Brawl polls, so it's not like he was some middling character no one cared about. Nintendo knew what they were doing when they didn't include them on the final roster.

2) If time constraints really were the issue, why not release the game and keep steady, FREE updates, like Splatoon. They can justify making us pay by saying "well we're just coming up with these names now", but to me that's just a massive f*** you to your entire fanbase, who's been repeating these names for the last 5 or so years. You don't need an official ballot to tell you that fans would want Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, IC's, and even Snake back, as well as wanting Ridley, K.Rool, Isaac, and many, many others in for the first time.

The Splatoon DLC isn't really dlc. Nintendo just locked away content and periodically gave some of it to us.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
The only things I have a major problem with paying for are ****ty *** Mii costumes. I already hate the Mii Fighters enough from the concept to their playstyle to there being Miis in Smash in the first place. But having to buy cosmetic changes that I'll never use? Sure it's optional and I could stick to the real characters and stages, but I just don't see the appeal. I'm not convinced that $5 price tags aren't profitable enough on their own for full fledged characters.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Damn so holy crap, Sakurai acted like it was all good and there was no preplanned DLC... but he lied about that. Just so we could be distracted and think that he was just dropping neat little surprises on us when really he is doing just what he said he wouldn't do. ICs could have been a priority but apparently they were not. Lucas could have been developed but they put others in front--knowing people would buy lucas. And the same is probably going to apply to Wolf and gosh forbid the ICs. What is this sudden scandelousness we are unearthing!? Maybe they should have just been more upfront and charged us 80$ to get Smash--or tell us that's what we're expected to pay once all the content is out. Like, I love Smash Bros and would probably still pay it. But I'm starting to realize that the way they're approaching DLC is a little underhanded and shady, honestly? Sakurai needs to make some confessions as the development of Smash 4 comes to a close, cause suddenly I don't know if I can trust him. Nevermind all of the great surprises we've been getting, they're just slick ways of getting us to pay more for the game without letting us know ahead of time or without really telling us the truth about what's going on. I don't mind DLC really, but I do mind lying in order to maintain this sort of pure status that, in reality, is a facade.
Just so I can be sure I'm putting out the right info, the only for sure pre-planned DLC is Mewtwo. He was planned as a "gift for those who bought both games", but was changed when they saw the flaws in their logic. After that everything is straight up DLC, whether they planned it before or not is not within my knowledge, but it's hard to imagine characters like Wolf and Lucas, characters that wouldn't be all that hard to bring back mind you, not showing up on the "final" roster due to time constraints. Just seems fishy to me. I think we'll all know for sure if Wolf gets revealed to hype up Star Fox Zero, that he was held back intentionally.
Ice Climbers are different though, seeing that they were actually planned for development, and cut for the 3DS limitations.

Also, I wouldn't be upset at Sakurai for this, he just makes the game, I'd imagine the marketing director makes the decisions on DLC distribution and such.

Either way, I'm more upset at them not adding highly requested newcomers than anything else. A lot of the newcomers had absolutely no fan fare going into Sm4sh yet made it in anyway, when characters like Ridley, Isaac, K.Rool were all ignored. I think there's a reason for that I mean, who's going to buy WFT DLC?

The Splatoon DLC isn't really dlc. Nintendo just locked away content and periodically gave some of it to us.
True, but the sentiment is still the same. If Smash released incomplete (which I kinda think it has), but continued to add to itself with free updates, this would all be viewed by myself much more positively. THAT would be DLC done right.

The only things I have a major problem with paying for are ****ty *** Mii costumes. I already hate the Mii Fighters enough from the concept to their playstyle to there being Miis in Smash in the first place. But having to buy cosmetic changes that I'll never use? Sure it's optional and I could stick to the real characters and stages, but I just don't see the appeal. I'm not convinced that $5 price tags aren't profitable enough on their own for full fledged characters.
The costumes are such a scam, I really don't know who gets excited for those. If a character I like (and it's already happened) got a Mii costume, I'm not going to be excited for it. They offer nothing but a skin of the character, none of their moves, personality, anything are present. It's such a waste of effort.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Well one thing to consider, @ FunAtParties FunAtParties , is that time constraints are common in development cycles for many games because they have deadlines and marketing decisions to make, so priorities do have to be set. Early in Smash 4's development, Sakurai publicly stated that not all characters from Brawl would transfer over because there simply is not enough time. This was the starting point for when people were speculating who would get cut and anxiously hoping their preferred characters were safe. One thing I'm wondering is if all Brawl characters returned except Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Ice Climbers, that could hypothetically show the severity of 3DS limitations and possible copyright issues if they had about enough time to add everyone. In this hypothetical, all characters are equally given the time of day to be implemented and issues had decided upon solutions and priority wasn't lowered for anyone. If this hypothetical were the case, then we'd probably see fewer supporters for these characters and just support for Mewtwo and Roy. However, the deliberate low priority placement and time constraints that affected other characters including Ice Climbers goes in our favor. It's visible proof that ICies are fixable if time is given to them. And we don't know specifically when they were cut (I'm predicting February or March, around the time of the April 2014 Smash Bros. Direct). I don't like time constraints either, but they exist and can unfairly decide the fate of wanted content. And yeah, Wii Fit Trainer DLC would be the worst "having" to buy a character I hate. And could you imagine Dr. Mario DLC? No thanks. I'd rather play Melee or buy a Dr. Mario game.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm personally buying every piece of DLC, in terms of characters and stages. Even if I hate the character (I wasn't the biggest fan of Roy and Ryu, especially since they were leaked beforehand). It's at least good to try it out. However if Doc ended up as DLC, ya...no, he'd be the one piece of DLC I wouldn't be getting.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm personally buying every piece of DLC, in terms of characters and stages. Even if I hate the character (I wasn't the biggest fan of Roy and Ryu, especially since they were leaked beforehand). It's at least good to try it out. However if Doc ended up as DLC, ya...no, he'd be the one piece of DLC I wouldn't be getting.
I get all character DLC, because in terms of characters, I'm a completionist. I need all the characters no matter how much I hate them, and I really f***in hate Ryu.

Furret24

Smash Master
All this hate for Doc makes me sad. He's probably the most unique clone/semi-clone of them all outside of Lucas.
True, but the sentiment is still the same. If Smash released incomplete (which I kinda think it has), but continued to add to itself with free updates, this would all be viewed by myself much more positively. THAT would be DLC done right.
They aren't really comparable. Splatoon basically had on-disc DLC, if you even call it DLC. It makes sense not to charge money for stuff that was already in the base game. The Smash DLC was not in the base game and had to be added via extra development time. Why would charging money for that be DLC done wrong?

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
@ FunAtParties FunAtParties Sakurai almost cut Jigglypuff, a two time vet, and Smash 64 original, from Brawl due to time constraints. If they say they didn't have time to bring Roy or Lucas back, I believe them. I don't think this is a nefarious $$$$ plan, since Sakurai doesn't like DLC. He probably thought "well, we have some extra time. Maybe we can add characters we wouldn't normally be able to add." Mewtwo was not even completed when the Wii U version came out.

And of course they have to make it so the DLC are included in the update. Otherwise people who download DLC can't use them online, which is unfair.

Also, to the guy saying they should have charged us $80 for Smash... no. $60 is already pushing it for me. With DLC, I can choose what to buy. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy DLC. I pick and choose because I can't afford all the DLC.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I get all character DLC, because in terms of characters, I'm a completionist. I need all the characters no matter how much I hate them, and I really f***in hate Ryu.
Same here, but again, Doc would be the one exception.

All this hate for Doc makes me sad. He's probably the most unique clone/semi-clone of them all outside of Lucas.
Doc compared to Mario:
Slower, more powerful, worse recovery, 2 different moves, pills.

Lucina compared to Marth:
Female FE rep, minor difference in sword balance (but a difference nonetheless), different attitude/personality.

Dark Pit compared to Pit:
Uh, not much actually. A different side special (yes, the properties are a bit different), can't get a very good angle on arrows as opposed to Pit, different attitude/personality.

Now, yes, there are more differences between Doc and Mario than the other two of the main three. However, Doc lacks one thing to actually be interesting. And that would be the one thing shared in common by the other two sets. Doc has ZERO personality. And because of that, I just shrug him off as a slightly modified version of Mario.

When I play as Marth, I feel like I can get up close to the opponent and rack up damage, and that I'm fighting for my people, representing something. However, Lucina is more vocal, so when I play as her, I feel like, it's either the opponent comes to me ("Come at me!") or I bring heck to them (oh ya, and I feel like I need to save something).

When I play as Pit, I feel like I'm fighting against evil, fighting with a good purpose. When I plays as Dark Pit, I feel I'm fighting to prove myself, and I feel more of a need to win.

When I play as Mario, I feel like I'm on a quest, and this is just an opponent that's in my way, that needs to be taken care of. When I play as Doc, I feel absolutely nothing. I don't feel like I'm fighting with a purpose, unlike the other clones.
It's boring.

In fact, I think I'd actually be alright with Lucina and Dark Pit being brought back for Smash 5. We need female FE representation, and Dark Pit may be the most similar of the clones, but his personality is the most different of the character he's cloned from. Though I dunno about either of their chances. I just hope Doc isn't in it.

Geez, that took a while for me to get out. But, I've dwelled on this subject for way too long. Let's not discuss it anymore and agree to disagree.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Same here, but again, Doc would be the one exception.

Doc compared to Mario:
Slower, more powerful, worse recovery, 2 different moves, pills.

Lucina compared to Marth:
Female FE rep, minor difference in sword balance (but a difference nonetheless), different attitude/personality.

Dark Pit compared to Pit:
Uh, not much actually. A different side special (yes, the properties are a bit different), can't get a very good angle on arrows as opposed to Pit, different attitude/personality.

Now, yes, there are more differences between Doc and Mario than the other two of the main three. However, Doc lacks one thing to actually be interesting. And that would be the one thing shared in common by the other two sets. Doc has ZERO personality. And because of that, I just shrug him off as a slightly modified version of Mario.

When I play as Marth, I feel like I can get up close to the opponent and rack up damage, and that I'm fighting for my people, representing something. However, Lucina is more vocal, so when I play as her, I feel like, it's either the opponent comes to me ("Come at me!") or I bring heck to them (oh ya, and I feel like I need to save something).

When I play as Pit, I feel like I'm fighting against evil, fighting with a good purpose. When I plays as Dark Pit, I feel I'm fighting to prove myself, and I feel more of a need to win.

When I play as Mario, I feel like I'm on a quest, and this is just an opponent that's in my way, that needs to be taken care of. When I play as Doc, I feel absolutely nothing. I don't feel like I'm fighting with a purpose, unlike the other clones.
It's boring.

In fact, I think I'd actually be alright with Lucina and Dark Pit being brought back for Smash 5. We need female FE representation, and Dark Pit may be the most similar of the clones, but his personality is the most different of the character he's cloned from. Though I dunno about either of their chances. I just hope Doc isn't in it.

Geez, that took a while for me to get out. But, I've dwelled on this subject for way too long. Let's not discuss it anymore and agree to disagree.
In my opinion people should stop hating the clones and just think of the changes that could make them more unique. These changes won't happen soon, but they are as guaranteed as the next Smash game is, and if Luigi has taught us anything, it's that all clones have the potential to be something more.

But I shouldn't be going on and on about clones on a non-clone's thread. lol

What do you think the Ice Climber's 8 pallet swaps would be like?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think we already went over that. Way back when someone posted a gif of the 8 swaps that could happen, but I'm not going to bother going back that far.

Top Bottom