• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Flor@

Smash Apprentice

Just sketched this out today, figured it'd be good to share it here. I kinda like it in sketch form... but I'm still trying to think of how it could be rendered out more--if it were to ever be. HMhh.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Can I be put on the support list, please? While I'm not too keen on their chances, the Ice Climbers' removal from Smash 4 bothered me the most, out of every cut from the game. I don't think the game is complete without them (and the other cuts as well.)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well I favor drawn in pencil, colored in crayon (except my G&W drawing, I used crayon and marker to get a solid black). Not sure if that would help in any way, we all have our own styles. Just something to consider. But your drawing is really good. If you want to keep that style, there's nothing wrong with it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Can I be put on the support list, please? While I'm not too keen on their chances, the Ice Climbers' removal from Smash 4 bothered me the most, out of every cut from the game. I don't think the game is complete without them (and the other cuts as well.)
Completely agree with you. I dunno if anyone here has a list, but if they do they'll probably add you onto it when they read your message. Also, welcome to the ICies boards.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sounds like people I know.

It's all about those emblems that are on fire these days. No respect for those NES all-stars of yesterday, wot wot.
R.O.B., Mr. G&W, and Ice Climbers were my mains in Brawl. No idea what you're talking about.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
No no, not anyone on the Ice Climber thread, that's for certain. I was referring to those today who just want to see the most modern characters in Smash.
Lol I know what you meant. Like when Shulk was confirmed (given the fan support I pretty much knew he'd be coming but...) I was like "Huh? Who's this guy?". I knew who he was, but I didn't know anything about him. It's like: "Oh ya, that guy with the strange...sword I think?"

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Lol I know what you meant. Like when Shulk was confirmed (given the fan support I pretty much knew he'd be coming but...) I was like "Huh? Who's this guy?". I knew who he was, but I didn't know anything about him. It's like: "Oh ya, that guy with the strange...sword I think?"
I was excited for Shulk, Xenoblade Chronicles is a fantastic game (which I still need to get but dat price doe). Why should it matter if the character is new or old. If the character is popular and important they should be in Smash. (btw half the roster are older characters considering when they debuted).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I was excited for Shulk, Xenoblade Chronicles is a fantastic game (which I still need to get but dat price doe). Why should it matter if the character is new or old. If the character is popular and important they should be in Smash. (btw half the roster are older characters considering when they debuted).
Completely agree. Let's see...older characters...well, there's R.O.B., G&W, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Mario, Mega Man...need I go on???

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
True, but it baffles me sometimes when people ask for extremely recent characters. Take the Inklings for example. They were wanted BEFORE Splatoon came out. That's something I never really understood. It all depends on how new a character is.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
True, but it baffles me sometimes when people ask for extremely recent characters. Take the Inklings for example. They were wanted BEFORE Splatoon came out. That's something I never really understood. It all depends on how new a character is.
bruh, Splatoon was the most hyped thing for me out of E3 last year. Plus Splatoon is SUPER GOOD! It sold out in Japan on launch and recently hit a million copies sold. The trailer at E3 2014 sold a lot of people on the Inkling as a Smash Bros candidate with the cool mechanics and such.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
bruh, Splatoon was the most hyped thing for me out of E3 last year. Plus Splatoon is SUPER GOOD! It sold out in Japan on launch and recently hit a million copies sold. The trailer at E3 2014 sold a lot of people on the Inkling as a Smash Bros candidate with the cool mechanics and such.
I'll admit, Inkling is the ONLY really new character that I want in Smash. But, I only need a few characters in Smash to complete my roster. Those being ICies, Wolf, and Inkling. That will just complete my roster. I'll get any other character, but those 3 will just make the game for me.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Oh no denying, Splatoon is a solid game. For my tastes, they're still a bit too recent for DLC (I actually feel the star power they bring would be better suited for hyping up Smash 5, rather than a small DLC spot), I just didn't understand how people wanted a character before the game, at that the series, even came out.

Aside all, Splatoon is really decent. Favorite weapon is the brush actually. :laugh:

Off topic, how foolish of me, I feel like I'm driving it off further, my apologies. So, Ice Climbers. Aside from a fake leak, anything new?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
More hype is needed. Lol. The more the better (and merrier of course).

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Oh no denying, Splatoon is a solid game. For my tastes, they're still a bit too recent for DLC (I actually feel the star power they bring would be better suited for hyping up Smash 5, rather than a small DLC spot), I just didn't understand how people wanted a character before the game, at that the series, even came out.

Aside all, Splatoon is really decent. Favorite weapon is the brush actually. :laugh:

Off topic, how foolish of me, I feel like I'm driving it off further, my apologies. So, Ice Climbers. Aside from a fake leak, anything new?
Same feelings about their star power being reserved for Smash 5 but I'm down if they make it as DLC.
Really decent? I thought it can only be decent as in okay. So is it really okay. That doesn't make sense. I thought it was good.

Not really, the "leak" was all there really was to talk about.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
More hype is needed. Lol. The more the better (and merrier of course).
Same feelings about their star power being reserved for Smash 5 but I'm down if they make it as DLC.
Really decent? I thought it can only be decent as in okay. So is it really okay. That doesn't make sense. I thought it was good.

Not really, the "leak" was all there really was to talk about.
I'm still not convinced that Sakurai, who's stuck with Smash Bros. for so long, just gave up on the Ice Climbers after that one shot. No, if I know Sakurai (and I don't), he's got something up his sleeve.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

I'm still not convinced that Sakurai, who's stuck with Smash Bros. for so long, just gave up on the Ice Climbers after that one shot. No, if I know Sakurai (and I don't), he's got something up his sleeve.
1. TURN THAT OFF YOU FOOL!

2. Oh, how reassuring...

But in all honesty, ya, Sakurai's got a trick coming...problem is, we know it's coming, but there's no way we can prepare ourselves. Because with that man, we won't know WHAT is coming...

Sorry to leave the conversation now guys, but the USA is playing Japan in the Women's World Cup right now. It'll be payback for the 2011 World Cup. I'll be back at halftime. :p

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
1. TURN THAT OFF YOU FOOL!

2. Oh, how reassuring...

But in all honesty, ya, Sakurai's got a trick coming...problem is, we know it's coming, but there's no way we can prepare ourselves. Because with that man, we won't know WHAT is coming...

Sorry to leave the conversation now guys, but the USA is playing Japan in the Women's World Cup right now. It'll be payback for the 2011 World Cup. I'll be back at halftime. :p
removed original post. derp.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey guys. It's halftime, so I'm back for a bit.

1. Anyone want to know the score? Or does nobody want it to be spoiled?

2. I was thinking...the Wii U version just got an update that the 3DS didn't. Granted it wasn't anything major, but could it be a hint at something major coming to Wii U that 3DS doesn't get? *Cough ICies Cough*

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hey guys. It's halftime, so I'm back for a bit.

1. Anyone want to know the score? Or does nobody want it to be spoiled?

2. I was thinking...the Wii U version just got an update that the 3DS didn't. Granted it wasn't anything major, but could it be a hint at something major coming to Wii U that 3DS doesn't get? *Cough ICies Cough*
1. I'm going to use my psychic abilities to guess the score myself. The score is:
[Insert correct score here]
Behold!:laugh:
2. Hmm, as much as I'd like to believe that it's an ICies hint, the Wii U has too many things that the 3DS does't have, such as stage builder. They are most likely not related in anyway (the update and Stage Builder), but we need more before we speculate our favorite arctic duo.

On another note, maybe the update hints a Story Mode update... perhaps?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
1. I'm going to use my psychic abilities to guess the score myself. The score is:
[Insert correct score here]
Behold!:laugh:
2. Hmm, as much as I'd like to believe that it's an ICies hint, the Wii U has too many things that the 3DS does't have, such as stage builder. They are most likely not related in anyway (the update and Stage Builder), but we need more before we speculate our favorite arctic duo.

On another note, maybe the update hints a Story Mode update... perhaps?
O.O

ICies, Wolf, Inkling, AND Story Mode?!?!?! I would have 3 words for that.

BEST. SMASH. EVER.

As for the score, just tell me if you guys want to know it. I'll add you guys into a private conversation.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
*cough cough a bunch of other characters as well would make the perfect Smash along with the real Classic mode"
*End Cough*

Well, ya, some other characters would be cool, but I'm just going with my top 3. And I enjoy both the old and new Classic modes. Though the old one was pretty awesome. :)

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'd be all down for the original Classic Mode. Provided, it returns the occasional Break the Targets that both Melee and Brawl had.

(and maybe Race to the Finish and Bonus Stage, where you grab trophies).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'd be all down for the original Classic Mode. Provided, it returns the occasional Break the Targets that both Melee and Brawl had.

(and maybe Race to the Finish and Bonus Stage, where you grab trophies).
Ya. This new Angry Birds Target Blast game ABSOLUTELY STINKS! I only play it to complete the challenges.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, maybe Target Blast would be more interesting if you actually used the bomb to blast yourself into the target area and then go about breaking targets.:upsidedown:
That's...possible?!?!?! (And inventive).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I wonder if you read my post you quoted. Or maybe I was not clear enough. And I apologize that it sounds condescending to say such. I think my Pokemon comparison was the best way to compare it:
one game would be gen 5 (no fairy type) and one would be gen 6 (fairy type added). The value of each character, in the overall balance, is completely different.
Each character adds a new balance, yes, it does. Yet it is the same balance for both systems.
If one system had a character and the other didnt, the the meta game for each console would be different. The goal is, as far as I can tell, that the two versions play like one another. If your assertion is that they dont need to- then I dont think a single characters exclusion is really the most economically intelligent way to make the two versions different.

Your argument is that the meta game does not matter for the 3DS, essentially. This may be a valuable idea... I just dont think it will ever happen. It is telling pro players not to buy the game. It is single handedly closing off more ports to the game, than it is opening business opportunity.

Poetic, sure; I don't think that vengeance against ones home console is a particularly strong monetary strategy.
I'll be fair and say that my comment was done in humor and a bit in spite of the 3DS version. I've always thought co-developing a 3DS version of Smash at the same time only stood to hurt the Wii U version, and honestly I still agree with that statement. Smash for Wii U is still a wonderfully jam-packed game, but I imagine what it could have been had the same amount of time been given solely to develop the Wii U version and that could have/would have been so much more. Plus it would have Ice Climbers, so there's that too.

I understand the point you make about balance and specifically how you demonstrate it with Pokemon. I don't think it's quite to the same degree as a type absence/inclusion would be in Pokemon, but I understand realistically it affects the meta-game. The question I pose, is that change big enough to fully disregard the Ice Climbers on Wii U in the name of parity?

I believe a point could have been made for the sales of Smash on 3DS when it was new. At this point, however, I don't really think giving one version of Smash a unique character is going to have a very big impact on what sales that the new Smash is getting. Unless I'm mistaken, and if I am, I'll completely agree with you on the justification of parity, Smash has probably sold the large majority of copies it was going to sell. The most committed fans have already invested in the game, probably twice over. Abandoning the 3DS from a competitive standpoint to support the Ice Climbers does make the handheld versions of Smash seem less favorable for the future if they're going to be abandoned.

But to be fair, I always thought the 3DS was sold with the novelty of playing Smash on the go as opposed to really any other reason. Again, not necessarily to be competitive. If Pokemon can be solely focused on handhelds, I also don't understand why Smash can't be more focused on home consoles as well. I understand both of these points are kind of stretch points, but if Nintendo is interested in a short-term money making scheme, Ice Climbers as paid DLC exclusive to Wii U is one way of doing it. And not only that, but I feel with how infrequently Smash comes out, any real bad taste from the past handheld version kind of being abandoned could be forgotten and more people would be willing to buy it again perhaps.

It probably doesn't help I'm just in support of Nintendo dropping handhelds entirely, which I understand is a completely terrible idea for as long as they continue to sell. But Nintendo increasingly needs the support and focus of all its development teams on the home console front, and the two system model for Nintendo is starting to show its limitations. I'd really hate to see Nintendo become a handheld only developer because they lacked any competence in regards to the whole home console market, but that's a whole other thing I suppose.

Top Bottom