• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Laniv

Smash Champion
It's not like people haven't faked renders before. Take a look at this fellow:

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
Honestly I think this is real, and it kills me because no Popo and Nana, although they are suposed to be DLC.
Luckily, as soon as the next character is announced, this leak will either be praised or scorned.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Yeah. BTW, what do you find fake about the pics?
My top three reasons:
1. Wario's wonky pupil. :laugh:
2. Look at the Final Destination and Boxing Ring stage pictures. They were clearly clipped from the WiiU version.
3. Duck Hunt looks a little fake.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My top three reasons:
1. Wario's wonky pupil. :laugh:
2. Look at the Final Destination and Boxing Ring stage pictures. They were clearly clipped from the WiiU version.
3. Duck Hunt looks a little fake.
Final Destination and Boxing Ring 3DS are very similar to their Wii U versions, though.

However, it's still most-likely fake. Even if it's real, at least Ice Climbers players will still be able to play as them, as DLC.

(That's another thing that could prove the leak fake, though. If they work to where they can be playable, why make them DLC instead of just going ahead and adding them in?)

Last edited:

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Final Destination and Boxing Ring 3DS are very similar to their Wii U versions, though.

However, it's still most-likely fake. Even if it's real, at least Ice Climbers players will still be able to play as them, as DLC.

(That's another thing that could prove the leak fake, though. If they work to where they can be playable, why make them DLC instead of just going ahead and adding them in?)
Another thing that makes it fake is the fact that Bowser's name is not listed as "Koopa" as it should be, since the Japanese version is coming out first. So there you go.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

Both in HD though?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Both in HD though?
I couldn't really tell if they were HD or not- although, the Boxing Ring does seem HD.

The Mii Fighters are not on the roster pic, though, and there doesn't seem to be any "Mii" button, so the leak is still pretty much fake anyways unless time proves otherwise.

Let the Ice Climbers live on.

Last edited:

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't really tell if they were HD or not- although, the Boxing Ring does seem HD.

The Mii Fighters are not on the roster pic, though, and there doesn't seem to be any "Mii" button, so the leak is still pretty much fake anyways unless time proves otherwise.

Let the Ice Climbers live on.
Well, as I stated before, the fact that Bowser's name is not identified as "Koopa" makes it glaringly obvious that it's fake.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
I think it's safe to say that the new leak is pretty much fake.
I mean, the only possiblity that the Ice Climbers could have been cut was due to the 3DS perhaps not being able to cope with 8 characters with their own AI when you chose IC and Sakurai didn't want to have WiiU-only characters in the roster.
However, the leak states that they would be DLC, meaning that the 3DS was able to cope with that. And there really isn't any reason for their exclusion from the standard cast, I mean, they have
1) Completely original movesets
2)A status of being the only representitives of a certain series
so I can't see them left out of the game without technical issues, which this leak states there isn't.
And unlike the Gematsu leak, this one dosen't even have a single point proved yet. If there's any time that we should get worried, it's when Sakurai post something that would be a hard guess or if the artwork for a new character is the same as a leak. And even then, there's always the possibility that Sakurai himself posted a fake leak to mislead people(That guy has a hate for leaks, and it would be quite sensible to do something like this. I certainly would)

In short, the leak has too many holes for it to be true, and it's a tad bit early to even consider it.
End of story. Can we have something else to discuss?

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I think it's safe to say that the new leak is pretty much fake.
I mean, the only possiblity that the Ice Climbers could have been cut was due to the 3DS perhaps not being able to cope with 8 characters with their own AI when you chose IC and Sakurai didn't want to have WiiU-only characters in the roster.
However, the leak states that they would be DLC, meaning that the 3DS was able to cope with that. And there really isn't any reason for their exclusion from the standard cast, I mean, they have
1) Completely original movesets
2)A status of being the only representitives of a certain series
so I can't see them left out of the game without technical issues, which this leak states there isn't.
And unlike the Gematsu leak, this one dosen't even have a single point proved yet. If there's any time that we should get worried, it's when Sakurai post something that would be a hard guess or if the artwork for a new character is the same as a leak. And even then, there's always the possibility that Sakurai himself posted a fake leak to mislead people(That guy has a hate for leaks, and it would be quite sensible to do something like this. I certainly would)

In short, the leak has too many holes for it to be true, and it's a tad bit early to even consider it.
End of story. Can we have something else to discuss?
Your comment just made me feel much, much better.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I don't main main/care a super lot about Ic's but they are unique and have been around along time and I don't want them gone, I hope you guys are ready to fight for them as dlc if the worst comes to worst.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I don't main main/care a super lot about Ic's but they are unique and have been around along time and I don't want them gone, I hope you guys are ready to fight for them as dlc if the worst comes to worst.
Dude, they're not leaving. Sakurai would never get rid of them. He loves them so much.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Sakurai has a clear enjoyment of the duo if he chose them to be the Melee character to represent the NES.
He clearly was working on them early on (judging by the development notice about how they were causing problems in 3DS development).
I believe it's been at least 9 months since that post was put up... with the crew that got the likes of Olimar and Rosaluma to work, why would Icies by different. Let alone the fact that their symbol still appeared for the Polar Bear enemy.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The IC's are pretty much in, considering all the information we've been given. The leak is fake, so there's no need to worry about that. Sakurai was trying to implement them early on, and here's a theory. Remember how Sonic showed up in the SSE? Ya, he showed up VERY late, relative to how he was put in the game late. Now the IC's might get revealed later than expected because it took a while to finally get them to work in the 3DS version. Thoughts?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Here's a theory: Sonic showed up late in the SSE, relative to how he was put in the game late. The IC's might be revealed later than expected relative to how it may have took them (the dev. team) a while to finally implement the IC's in the 3DS version. Thoughts? Sorry about the double post, the 1st one didn't appear until after I posted the second one.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Here's a theory: Sonic showed up late in the SSE, relative to how he was put in the game late. The IC's might be revealed later than expected relative to how it may have took them (the dev. team) a while to finally implement the IC's in the 3DS version. Thoughts? Sorry about the double post, the 1st one didn't appear until after I posted the second one.
Jigglypuff also was low priority in Brawl, so if Ice Climbers are unlocks, they most likely were low priority due they caused trouble on the 3DS, but were finished after Sakurai finished the rest of the roster due Sakurai didn't want to let them hinder the rest of development in the early stages, but i'm sure he had extra time to atleast bring them back to their former glory if he can promote(if the Picture leak is true) 3 alts to playable status.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Jigglypuff also was low priority in Brawl, so if Ice Climbers are unlocks, they most likely were low priority due they caused trouble on the 3DS, but were finished after Sakurai finished the rest of the roster due Sakurai didn't want to let them hinder the rest of development in the early stages, but i'm sure he had extra time to atleast bring them back to their former glory if he can promote(if the Picture leak is true) 3 alts to playable status.
Hopefully all the cuts minus squirt/ivy are unlockables.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
The IC's are pretty much in, considering all the information we've been given. The leak is fake, so there's no need to worry about that. Sakurai was trying to implement them early on, and here's a theory. Remember how Sonic showed up in the SSE? Ya, he showed up VERY late, relative to how he was put in the game late. Now the IC's might get revealed later than expected because it took a while to finally get them to work in the 3DS version. Thoughts?
Yeah, good point!

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Pretty much what I thought as well. If IC didn't work for the 3DS version, than Sakurai could just very easily alter the AI for them(certainly better than kicking out a completely original character). But I don't think that's happening either. I am a bit suprised at how long it is taking them to be confirmed, but they're there. I don't want to see a good original character from a good retro character being cut, and Sakurai wouldn't either. Probably.
Now back to trying to understand why so many people are falling for such a stupid leak...

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Also, when you think about it, aren't the IC pretty much confirmed?
Sakurai said he was having trouble putting them in, and when you think about it that basically confirms them. Is it just me who thinks this? :p

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Also, when you think about it, aren't the IC pretty much confirmed?
Sakurai said he was having trouble putting them in, and when you think about it that basically confirms them. Is it just me who thinks this? :p
No, I had the same logic. :p

T

Trick or Treat

If the Ice Climbers are actually cut I'll have no idea what to think. They've been in Smash since '01! This would be a far bigger injustice than Mewtwo.
An even bigger injustice would be if the Ice Climbers are cut, and yet the Chorus Men make it in the game. I mean, I don't really think there's a chance of that happening, but if it did...

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm confident the Ice Climbers will be in, but if they're not because of the 3DS limitations, why couldn't we have a solitary Ice Climber? (With Luma and Pikmin working, I'm sure the Popo & Nana wouldn't be impossible to replicate.)

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I'm sure the Ice Climbers are already in the game. I doubt Sakurai would just remove them. He really loves them.
He really loves them? IC confirmed then, because you know.. Sakurai isn't favoritist at all :troll:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Are you mocking me or something?
No, I actually was mocking Sakurai and making your assumption right. Just see KIU representation in the game, it is said Jigglypuff is Sakurai's favorite pokemon. If you say Sakurai loves IC, they'll indeed be in just for his balls sake.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
No, I actually was mocking Sakurai and making your assumption right. Just see KIU representation in the game, it is said Jigglypuff is Sakurai's favorite pokemon. If you say Sakurai loves IC, they'll indeed be in just for his balls sake.
Oh, my bad. It's sometimes hard for me to understand.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
They may just be waiting to confirm the ICies for later, perhaps as we get closer to Japanese launch date?

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
This kind of reminds me of Sakurai's comment for the latest ZSS update about the costume. They clearly have time to add more stuff, so even if the IC were cut, perhaps there's a chance they still had time to finish them up and put them in?

ferioku

Smash Ace
I fail to believe my Melee Main is gone, people keep saying Ice Climbers are gone and there is no evidence of that! The polar bear is back and I doubt Sakurai will put him in to annoy people T_T

Top Bottom